• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dissociatives [Interaction Subthread] DXM & Medication / Supplements

How do you figure wellbutrin + dxm will cause serotonin syndrome? Wellbutrin is a NDRI it doesn't touch serotonin receptors.. I'm not saying its a safe combo, but please elaborate.

The symptomology of DXM plus wellbutrin is easily mistakeable for serotonin syndrome - high blood pressure, incredible potentiation of the DXM's psychiatric effect, twitching, nausea, "body load", muscular stiffness, overheating, seizures etc

DXM + wellbutrin is probably nasty as hell. i'm surprised that you could even type that post. glad you're okay.

Thank you. I'm glad I'm alright too. I've definitely made some very stupid mistakes as of late. 8(

Type 1 diabetic here. For those on insulin -- I've noticed that DXM can be quite hypoglycemic (that is, it lowers blood sugars), so avoid "diabetic" cough syrup and get the syrup WITH sugar in it. If you can, drink a glass or two of grapefruit, orange juice, or whatever else before you dose too, maybe with a bit of bread. Perhaps I'm alone on this, but I can get some pretty low blood sugars while I'm trippin' and I'd rather not worry about them while I'm on my DXM high... and you know, a little high is better than a little low, ESPECIALLY when drugs are involved ;)

Any other diabetics with DXM experience find similar results?

Last edited:
I have done dxm a few times while on Seroquel (quetiapine), which is a D2 dopamine antagonist, without ill effect on any of the occasions of the concurrent use of those two compounds. Although it seemed as there were mixed results trip-wise on account of the whole "set and setting" pre-requisite. 50 milligrams of Seroquel on top of a 2nd or 3rd plateau experience is managable imo.

Havent tried Lyrica (pregabalin) with dxm yet, but have tried Neurontin (gabapentin), which is pharmacologically similar) and it seemed to enhance a 2nd plateau trip to great effeciency (the safety I am unsure of). As for SSRI's/SNRI's, no thanks, you must be foolish or completely lack regard for your personal well-being to attempt such an act.

Lastly, dxm is such a potent substance in its ability to create and allow one to perceive immaculate alien worlds, so why would one wish to possibly "dull" the beauty of the experience by trying to enhance something which imo does not need enhancing.

Peace! :)

Could anyone enlighten me about possible interactions between dxm and propranolol and lamotrigine? I've been wanting to indulge but not until I know it's completely safe.

Edited the OP with a warning as early posts from 2002 were suggesting that SSRIs were fine to combine with DXM. We now have known for many years that this is absolutely not the case, and any drugs affecting the release and/or reuptake of monoamines should not under any circumstances be combined with DXM.

Edited the OP with a warning as early posts from 2002 were suggesting that SSRIs were fine to combine with DXM. We now have known for many years that this is absolutely not the case, and any drugs affecting the release and/or reuptake of monoamines should not under any circumstances be combined with DXM.

This is absolutely a valid warning, but I think it is worth mentioning (& maybe it has already been discussed here, I've just registered and not scoured this thread exhaustively yet) that dxm has recently undergone clinical trials (one example here but there are others as well) as a treatment for major depressive disorder & is currently being prescribed in a formulation with wellbutrin (aka bupropion — a dopamine and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor iirc) for daily use under the brandname auvelity. I have had great success using it in therapeutic doses of 30mg dxm freebase every 12 hours (you can read more in my comment here). I'm currently on about week six of the regimen with no ill effects — the mania was bordering on excessive during weeks 2 & 3 when I was taking about 120mg daily of hbr (sick with cold which is how I stumbled upon this for the second time) has settled down since I switched to 60mg freebase daily.

Last edited:
This is absolutely a valid warning, but I think it is worth mentioning (& maybe it has already been discussed here, I've just registered and not scoured this thread exhaustively yet) that dxm has recently undergone clinical trials (one example here but there are others as well) as a treatment for major depressive disorder & is currently being prescribed in a formulation with wellbutrin (aka bupropion — a dopamine and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor iirc) for daily use under the brandname auvelity. I have had great success using it in therapeutic doses of 30mg dxm freebase every 12 hours (you can read more in my comment here). I'm currently on about week six of the regimen with no ill effects — the mania was bordering on excessive during weeks 2 & 3 when I was taking about 120mg daily of hbr (sick with cold which is how I stumbled upon this for the second time) has settled down since I switched to 60mg freebase daily.
I am very aware of Auvelity, yes.

However, due to the same mechanism that makes Auvelity so effective (Wellbutrin’s CYP2D6 inhibition), recreational dosages of DXM are extremely unsafe to combine with Wellbutrin.
I can unfortunately say that from personal experience.

Recreational dosages of DXM are extremely unsafe to combine with Wellbutrin, from experience.

I don't doubt that one bit. I'm talking about therapeutic doses —probably no more than 30mg. I know it has a well-deserved reputation as a very "dirty" chemical with a lot of very dangerous interactions.

Last edited: