• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dissociatives [Interaction Subthread] DXM & Medication / Supplements

DXM and Mirtazapine

has anyone ever taken DXM while on Mirtazapine?

I have read it can be dangerous as they are chemically similar in structure. But first hand knowledge would be great.

AFAIK, they're not chemically similar, but it's really pharmacological similarity that matters.
IIRC, DXM augments 5ht function....I believe through reuptake inhibition and downstream fx, but I'm not sure. In theory, it should be a dangerous combo...but mirtazapine augments 5ht indirectly...not presenting the severe 5ht storm of, say, MDMA.

ebola

I currently am prescribed Wellbutrin and Zyprexa, along with Lamictal. My question is, and i know its not a problem with lamictal, would taking DXM with these medications cause any problems? is there any danger, or would it simply just not work?

Years ago, when I was on Wellbutrin and Zyprexa, I used dxm in a range of dosages between 100mg to 700mg. I obviously didn't die from it, but the experiences were unfun, side-effect filled trips to nowhere. The body load was horrible, with constant shaking during the experience.

Wellbutrin + Zyprexa is not the safest combo in the world to begin with, as bupropion has a fairly high risk of seizure to begin with, and olanzapine lowers the seizure threshold. I actually had a seizure from this combo without any other drugs.

I may have avoided severe consequences combining these with dxm, but it is anything but safe. For what it's worth, when I looking back on my experiences, they look like bad risks that I took because I was depressed.

^^^ i took 4oz of robitussin (354mg of DXM) while on 150mg of wellbutrin XL. it was BY FAR the worst night of my life. headache, projectile vomiting, spinning, more projectile vomiting, etc. TOTAL fucking nightmare. i've dose with DXM (same dose) MANY times before that not on any other drugs (besides pot) and had amazing experiences, but the wellbutrin + DXM was just a total nightmare and made me turned off from ever doing robo again... however i have a bottle (~324mg of DXM) sitting in front of me, only used one dose 30mg one night for a cold i had like 4 nights ago, i'm on 5mg of zyprexa but i only take 2.5mg every other night. 30mg of DXM + 2.5mg of zyprexa had no negative effect on me. i was wondering if i had taken just 30mg of DXM (therapeutic dose) while on wellbutrin if i would have gotten as sick as i did when i took a full 4oz?

anyway i'm still kinda pondering whether or not i should get fucked up on the dxm in front of me. i've been 100% clean from all drugs for the past 6 months and i probably wont fuck that up just for some dxm.

Hopefully this will benefit anyone considering using dxm while on an ssri.

The only way to benefit someone considering this is to say "don't fucking do it." this is a harm reduction board after all, and i know from personal experience it's fucking dangerous.

thank you for the responses. based on what im hearing here, im most definitely not going to try it. i appreciate it guys =]

How long do I need to wait after using Zoloft to safwly use DXM?

I am on Zoloft 100mg/day and I have skipped the 5 days because I am planning to trip on DXM. I want to get back on the Zoloft ASAP. The half life of Zoloft is about 26 hours. Will it be safe to use a third plateau dose of DXM tomorrow, or do I need to wait longer?

In case of serotonin syndrome, I do have clonidine to lower blood pressure. I think increased blood pressure is the main risk with serotonin syndrome, but might be wrong.

Is lamotrigine/Lamictal okay to use with DXM?

I'm reaching for ANYONE who has EVER used DXM while on treatment of an SSRI. What did you notice different about the trip, was it overall better/worse? What about the length of the trip?

I first tried DXM whilst on 20mg Paroxetine / day, although I'd only been on it for a couple of months. DXM works orders of magnitude better than the SSRI's / SNRI's I've been prescribed. (Been depressed for nearly 20 years, only started using medication in the last 5, none of which made any real significant improvement.

I stopped taking the Paroxetine after another month or so and a couple more DXM experiences (6+ months ago now) and still feel great. I use DXM once every couple of weeks ago on average, 2nd or 3rd plateau, usually 2nd.

Haven't stopped using it for a period longer than about 6-8 weeks, but the depression never reoccurred during that time.

Because I was new to DXM, I can't say whether there were any appreciable difference. I don't get the afterglow effects anything like the first few experiences but that seems to be pretty common for non SSRI users as well. I suspect the trips were more intense and maybe more 'closed eye visuals' as well (I don't get much in the way of open eye visuals) but it's a very unconfirmed suspicion, and I probably won't try and confirm it (due to not needing it / potential risks etc. etc).

Sometimes I've also been taking an anti-histamine (specifically Cetirizine hydrochloride) in advance to prevent itching etc. but only started this a while after stopping the paroxetine. Not sure this has had any appreciable effect on the experience (aside from preventing the histamine reaction).

Not saying that this will work for everyone, or that it's even a good idea, but it has been the only 'anti-depressent' that's actually worked for me.

Higer dose of Lyrica And DXM

hey guys its my forst post( i moved from grass city since they closed Pandora box) so if this isnt the rite section or if im doing anything wrong let me know.

im prescribed lyrica 300mg 3x time for anxiety its a great drug except the tolerance(1-1.5 grams)
anyway i was wondering if any one has experience with the combo of lyrica(600-900mg) and dxm(600mg)
i love dxm even thou people consider it a kiddie drug i get a lot out of it.
dxm seems to erase tolerance(i can get fucked up off 2mg xanax instead of 8mg). so thats where im confused i dont want to be to high on lyrica and freak out cause i get racing heart sumtimes from to much lyrica and im very prone to anxiety
so if anyone has experience please let me know
btw i did search this but didnt get enough answers
peace

I am only aware of it being dangerous to mix with CNS depressants - Serotonin Syndrome is the main concern with DXM combos as far as I'm aware. I have no personal experience of such a combo though so couldn't say it was for sure safe cos DXM seems to be a bit of a messy one for interactions.

Also, The Big & Dandy Medication/Supplement Interaction Thread.

PS: Welcome to PD and BL :)

thanks bro ill def read that
i love lyrica and dxm is my amazing even tho it has a bad rep
thought the two would be great
if anyone else has tried this let me no

Should be safe especially since you have tolerance to lyrica. Let us know how it goes!! Dxm imo is highly underappreciated

thanks man yeah ppl always make fun of me calling it a sissy drug ive done shrooms and acid and sum dissociative and i always get amzing reaction to dxm
expansively wit music
ill let you know how the combo goes should be fun and long lastinng

Ok, before I begin no this is not the typical "can i take dxm and ssri's" question. Hopefully this will benefit anyone considering using dxm while on an ssri. To continue...
I've been on an SSRI for quite a while now, and during that time have been doing a lot of experimenting with DXM. Yes, I have been under over and through all of the warnings between the two and have considered them in all my use.
To consolidate what I have learned, I have found that personally an SSRI greatly enhances, lengthens and intensifies a dxm trip. For me it has cut down on nausea, increased my euphoria, and helped with the lingering after effects. Being on an SSRI has solved almost all the problems I've had with DXM and in turn made it a much more powerful drug. (this seems to be contrary to general info)
After *much* searching for the results and experiences of other SSRI + DXM users I have found VERY little, so here I'm reaching for ANYONE who has EVER used DXM while on treatment of an SSRI. What did you notice different about the trip, was it overall better/worse? What about the length of the trip?
I am really looking for any info I can get here, as this seems to be a pretty uncharted (or at least unrecorded) region. Thx for your time :)
(note: I've already hit erowid, the lycaeum, and every dxm-specific source there is)

Holy crap, it was the same exact way with me too! I took ssri's for years and dxm was always a very enjoyable experience. Now that I'm off of ssri's I get bad nausea with it ( I never really used to before) and the high isn't as good. It used to feel more "up" and mind expanding. Not to mention euphoric. Like a good rush at times. I never met someone who had a similar experience. I never had any bad experience of mixing ssri's and dxm. Just be careful mixing dxm with large amounts of alcohol though.

yeah man man im doing it tommorow havent talin lyrica since thursday do 600mg maybe 900mg of lyrica and 600 to 700mg dxm dxm erase tolerance so thats the only thing im worrieda bout

wow wasnt expecting this many replys um lyrica isnt a ssri or opiate if thats what u were saying ill let you guys no how it goes