• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

I'ld like to hear from anyone who uses an opioid to fight depression.

As an avid opioid enthusiast, I can tell you they are indeed a fantastic AD...while you're on them. The same can be said for Alcohol though, and both are CNS depressants each with the side-effect of severe rebound depression. Anything that works on flooding the brain's dopamine receptors is naturally going to cause an extended period of depression until the neurochemistry of the brain stabilises - typically through abstinence.
Instead of Alcohol I'd prefer a Amphtetamine or Phenmetrazine, as the comedown's are less depressing.

More like a form of lack of drive for day or 2. Less craving to continue as Acohol has. Go, go go.

Opiod's as AD's work to imo. Opposit effect of Amphetamine's but works. With added risk of addiction and lazyness.

Last edited:
Actually fighting depression with recreative drug's would be esKetamine, 2 options:

A ketamine infuus in a hospital. With instant relieve and relatively long lasting effects, from hear say.

A take home Ketamine nose spray. Also was mentioned day one 56 mg/ week 1 till 4: 56/ 84 mg 2 x week.
Maintenance 1 x week 56/ 84 mg. I imagine instant relieve this way to.

In a emergency situation they recommend:
84 mg 2 x week for a month

Posts like this further reinforce my belief that becoming opiate dependant brings upon a demon inside of you that actively twists anything you read or hear that would end the opiate high.

I have seen what you say first hand and seen here it before. The idea that opiates can somehow help with depression. They cannot. Any idea that they can is wrong, plain and simple. They cause their own depression to now linger with the already existing but fool the user with short lived highs.

Life is better without opiates if you aren't needing them for physical pain like an injury, even then it still comes with a price but that is a different situation because no real alternatives exist. For mental states, depression especially, this can be resolved without drugs(I believe, anyway).

I say this as someone who has had addiction to opiates many years ago and knows plenty of people who have never escaped.

The real sweet spot is being able to (ab)use drugs(opiates, stimulants) on rare occasions. You get the most out of the drug, with the least negative side effects of drug use. I think opiates have a place in that regard but you can never live this way if you are perpetually feeding an addiction.

Posts like this further reinforce my belief that becoming opiate dependant brings upon a demon inside of you that actively twists anything you read or hear that would end the opiate high.

I have seen what you say first hand and seen here it before. The idea that opiates can somehow help with depression. They cannot. Any idea that they can is wrong, plain and simple. They cause their own depression to now linger with the already existing but fool the user with short lived highs.

Life is better without opiates if you aren't needing them for physical pain like an injury, even then it still comes with a price but that is a different situation because no real alternatives exist. For mental states, depression especially, this can be resolved without drugs(I believe, anyway).

I say this as someone who has had addiction to opiates many years ago and knows plenty of people who have never escaped.

The real sweet spot is being able to (ab)use drugs(opiates, stimulants) on rare occasions. You get the most out of the drug, with the least negative side effects of drug use. I think opiates have a place in that regard but you can never live this way if you are perpetually feeding an addiction.
Rare occassion's. But what if the depression is endless and relentless.

Kratom and a script for dextro-Amphetamine worked add Pregabalin and you are functional and happy. But technically is not an anti-depressant but more like a bandaid.

LSD or other psychedelic's, give only if they give it temporarly relief. No trip ever solved my troubles with live.

EsKetamine seem's like a unique example of an recreational substance with anti-depressant action.

I’ve been clean a couple years now, but I absolutely 100% used opiates to treat my depression

Avoid alcohol. It's very effective at numbing the pain of depression, but makes your depression even worse the next day.

The depression when coming off alcohol is extreme. Very deep sort of depression.

Last edited:
As an avid opioid enthusiast, I can tell you they are indeed a fantastic AD...while you're on them. The same can be said for Alcohol though, and both are CNS depressants each with the side-effect of severe rebound depression. Anything that works on flooding the brain's dopamine receptors is naturally going to cause an extended period of depression until the neurochemistry of the brain stabilises - typically through abstinence.
Agree on Opiods but Alcohol def leads to longer depression. The ammount of time comparing WD's of those two I rather choose Opiod's.

Coca Leaf is hardly active. Coffeea stim at most? Tianeptine is a addicting opiod.

No esKetamine, as it is used in the hospital.
I can say that coca leaf is definitely active, nutritious, and benign. Thousand and thousands of years of documented use.

Coffee has data behind it for depression. Lots of it.

Tianeptine isn't addictive unless it's taken in much larger than normal doses, and otherwise is SRE. It's kind of like saying ketamine is addictive because it's dopaminergic, whereas the benefit is as a dissociative.

Esketamine was created for the purposes of patent. Racemic ketamine and esketamine are largely one and the same.

I've started a few threads already. I'm starting this one to introduce myself, which I didn't do before.

I take hydrocodone for back pain. I get 60 tablets each month. (What I get is called Vicodin - hydrocodone and acetaminophen - 10/325.) That's my only supply. It's prescribed legally. Much of the time, my back pain isn't a big issue. Often, the real reason I keep taking these pills is to feel better mentally. I suffer from depression. I've been to shrinks about it and tried all kinds of psych meds. Nothing they prescibe does much. I function okay.

It seems like my life revolves around these pills. Basically, I take one every twelve hours. I'm obsessed with these pills. I count the hours until I can take another one. Sometimes, when the depression is bad, I don't wait the twelve hours. If I run out of pills before the month is up, I pay a price. If I go 36 hours without a pill, I start to have withdrawal. For me that is "restless leg syndrome." I would call it akathisia because it is round the clock. It's torture, so I mostly space out my pills to last the whole month.
At times, I think of suicide to escape the depression. I feel like these tablets are the best thing I have going for me. Yesterday, I took two tablets at the same time because I was having a miserable time with severe depression. That 20 mg of hydrocodone was like getting a glass of water in the desert. It helped a lot.

I wonder if anyone else here finds that using an opioid relieves depression. I don't discuss this with any doctor. I figure that would be the fastest way to lose this prescription that I value so much.

I always have to fight the temptation to use up my tablets ahead of schedule because I don't want to face withdrawal.

I'm trying to find a way to feel better without using up my tablets too soon. I'm thinking of trying edible cannabis. I don't find alcohol helpful, so I'm not much of a drinker.
I have been diagnosed with Bipolar 1 and I have found opioids better than psychiatric drugs.

It helps me with everything. So yes, it would help my depression.

I can say that coca leaf is definitely active, nutritious, and benign. Thousand and thousands of years of documented use.

Tianeptine isn't addictive unless it's taken in much larger than normal doses, and otherwise is SRE. It's kind of like saying ketamine is addictive because it's dopaminergic, whereas the benefit is as a dissociative.

Esketamine was created for the purposes of patent. Racemic ketamine and esketamine are largely one and the same.
Ok how much Coca leaves for an effect. ! kg is about 2 grams Cocaine. The tea bag's ime were nice but stimulating, no.

All the story's about Tianeptine on blue claim its quite addictive, and not a Serotonin reuptake excelerater.

Caffein an anti depressant? Wow, proof please.
Guarana OK I get that as it has an very different metabolism as plain Coffee or pure Caffein.

Last part agreed esKetamine is just less Psychedelic. But otherwise the effect is the same, people tripping is scary.

Like Khat only Khat really has an noticeable effect, sloppy stimulant. And is pretty beningn.

And also contains lots of nutrient's.

Ok how much Coca leaves for an effect. ! kg is about 2 grams Cocaine. The tea bag's ime were nice but stimulating, no.

All the story's about Tianeptine on blue claim its quite addictive, and not a Serotonin reuptake excelerater.

Caffein an anti depressant? Wow, proof please.
Guarana OK I get that as it has an very different metabolism as plain Coffee or pure Caffein.

Last part agreed esKetamine is just less Psychedelic. But otherwise the effect is the same, people tripping is scary.
Not that much for an effect. Coca leaf is about .5%-1%, so it's 5-10g per kilo, up to five times as much as you're saying.

BL is mainly for recreational drug users. That's not a representative sample. I'd trust the decade and hundreds of millions of dollars put into R&D over a bunch of hearsay at BL. About tianeptine.

On caffeine, I won't do your research for you, but I'm telling you how it is.

Feel free to discard what I say and choose to believe what you want.

No I believe you I probably read an ancient text about Cocaine content's. Now with this genetically pumped plants I believe you in a second.

Just that I found a site selling Coca leaves by the Kilo that got me searchin for how much Cocaine that would yield. I hate Coke btw just a little less then Methylphenidate. I am an Amphetamine, Cathinone lover.

I suffer from depression. I've been to shrinks about it and tried all kinds of psych meds. Nothing they prescibe does much.
Depression is an umbrella diagnosis, and says no more about its causes and ways of treatment than "headache" does. I was diagnosed with depression a few years back, and prescribed higher and higher doses of SSRIs and later even antipsychotics, but nothing helped, and that CBT didn't, either. If anything, it made things worse. Because nobody made the effort to determine what's behind the "depression". Until I went to a neurologist because of sudden severe vertigo and he made some test and determined I have Asperger's. He told me how to start tapering off all that stuff I was taking because it was making me sick, not better.
however in my experience commonly prescribed anti-depressants ALSO result in you feeling more depressed when you come off them. Then when someone runs low on pills for whatever reason they presume they must be chronically depressed and think they need to keep taking them, when in fact they might have come out of the depression and the only reason they feel worse is the withdrawal / re-adjustment process.
I didn't feel any mood or drive improvement by taking all that antodepression stuff. Maybe that's why I didn't feel any mod or drive decline after coming off of them. I just felt like I was alive and myself again without the SSRIs and quetiapine. And my vertigo disappeared, so I could start doing sports again and go for walks (good, natural antidepressants).
I do take psychoactive meds when I feel I need them. Sometimes when I get overwhelmed, or to prevent getting overwhelmed, or when I feel understimulated. But not on a daily basis, at least not for a prolonged time.

@DesertHarp
What I'm trying to say is that, despite your opiate dependency/addiction there's still the depression that may require a different kind of approach than the "usual" SSRI/CBT. Identifying the underlying cause of your original depression might be a first step to cope with that.

Right now I'm enjoying the afterglow of taking a Vicodin tablet, which I did 90 minutes ago. This relief will only last so long. In another 90 minutes, it will be starting to wear off. Then I have to face the hours of waiting, until I can take another one. The evening dose doesn't feel as good as the morning one.

I sought out treatment for depression. I did that for years, leaving no stone unturned. Doctors don't listen to me or take me seriously. I always functioned okay. (Got through school, held down jobs, kept a roof over my head.) On the surface, I can seem like I'm just fine.

Now I have to go eat. My morning does of Vicodin makes me hungry once it kicks in. Before that, I can't eat.

Imma start calling you "House"

No I believe you I probably read an ancient text about Cocaine content's. Now with this genetically pumped plants I believe you in a second.

Just that I found a site selling Coca leaves by the Kilo that got me searchin for how much Cocaine that would yield. I hate Coke btw just a little less then Methylphenidate. I am an Amphetamine, Cathinone lover.

I'd 1000000000000000% take amphetamine over coke anyday. The high is just as good and the price for coke is fucking ridiculous for it's tiny duration. Like £20 can get you high on amphetamine for 2 days or high on coke for 20 minutes