IL, Murphysboro - 08.15-17.08 Camping Weekend - UnderGround Sound 4 *REVIEW*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been reading the reviews on here, thank you to everyone that ended up coming by our little renegade psy stage.

It was really a group effort getting it going. I got there later than I had intended to and Ryan already had almost everything we needed in place, the cables to plug everything in hadnt materialized so I went down to the main stage and made friends with the sound guy there to borrow what I needed to get our stage up and running. I want to thank the guy from Nebraska who brought us a lazer to make our stage cooler on saturday, that was random acts of kindness at its finest.

I'm glad that people enjoyed getting their psy fix at the rave in a cave, I liked how our location was kind of out of the way so we could avoid alot of the "wastoid" festie kind of vibe. I honestly think our music scares them away anyway.. lol.. too psychedelic for them maybe? I dont know. I love the people it did attract though.

I remember the first night thinking my god I'm in this massive insane rave. and then by the morning during shpongles set the crowd had thinned out to the psy heads and I knew there were good people about and was excited to spread word of our little party within a party.

I want to thank all the DJs who threw down at our stage, excellent music all night, what a crazy night saturday was, I didnt leave the psy stage all night and loved every minute of it.

I dont think tom got arrested, I hung out with him that morning after all the stages were shut down, so if he was arrested it was after that..

when we left bob said tom had went to town, so if it was arrest he failed to mention that.

I met alot of people who I connected with at this one, which was almost suprising, I definately needed to come to it. not usually my kind of thing but I think there are alot of great kids that needed to know the psy community existed so I hope we turned on some minds to the trance dance way of life.

thanks for all the good energy guys, I'm sure I'll run into alot of you down the road. keep it goan!

I walked by someones tent friday night and was offered "loose canoes". Priceless.

I can't believe someone died... Thats terrible... Didn't someone die there before and the cave was closed for like 12 years or something?

It'd be a great venue if there was some time, money, and effort put into it...

-Leo

"did you just see dave chapelle?"

You know who Simon looks like when hes got his beard grown out?...

.... HOUSE.

Seriously, when he was looking out at the crowd,
asking the sound guy to adjust his volumes,

All I could think about was Hugh Laurie / House. It was so funny.

vax, we talked for a while, great work on the stage. i was the guy wearing a checkered shirt with a pony tail you talked to during the shpongle set. :] hope to see you again at an event soon.

earthdance, anyone?!

love,
Leo
(the other Leo)

I kidnda doubt anyone died at the cave this weekend....the paper down there the Southern Illinoisian would have been all over it...they live to give bad press to the cave.

bassboom2143 said:
I kidnda doubt anyone died at the cave this weekend....the paper down there the Southern Illinoisian would have been all over it...they live to give bad press to the cave.
So nobody knows for sure then?

bassboom2143 said:

Was there anything in the paper about ODs, though? I can't personally confirm whether or not anyone actually died, but I did witness people ODing and taken to EMTs. If the paper is so quick to put out bad press as you said, that would have made it for sure. It's only been a couple of days, it may just not have made it to press yet with the attempt to put a case on Caveman...

There were people looking for the seizure guy's brother (medics) to let someone know what happened, and a number of "officials" were doing the same.

I personally witnessed 6 people whacked out of their god damn minds (in really bad shape) get carted off. Was none of that reported at all? It may not have made it to the outside if those were privately hired people and not emergency responders.

Yeah I believe i saw the EMT's or officials getting someone from the left corner near the stage area (if you are facing the stage). I also heard rumors tomfoolery didnt actually get arrested as well. Im gona keep checking to see if any news on if there were actually any deaths or not pops up. People need to be responsible with what they are taking....damn, i whish there was a way to weed these people out of events and not let them in. I also think they should at least sell testing kits for XTC in a vending area, i think alot could have been avoided with that being present. Although I think the people who OD'd were taking somthing else.

Yeah i'm from Southern Illinois to and I haven't heard nothing about and deaths.

ImpossibleDreamer said:
It's only been a couple of days, it may just not have made it to press yet with the attempt to put a case on Caveman...

I certainly hope that nobody died, and everybody had a good time.

However, in order to protect the interest of the trademark I have ask for clarification of your final statement.

"They're trying to put a case together against Bob Goodale (Caveman Bob)"

This event was in no way affiliated with The Caveman Experience. *Unfortunately an issue has come up in the past that forces me to say that. The attorney did a google search and The Caveman Experience and Underground Sound were tied together in the law suit. etc, etc, etc....*

Anyways, I wasn't there but from reading posts on other boards... One person who od'ed is not dead, but in critical condition at a hospital in St. Louis. Hopefully he comes out of it ok.

There's no information on the event on the local paper (www.thesouthern.com) or the news station (wsiltv.com)

Last edited:
"the seizure guy" is my friend Red. he's currently still in a coma, but responding more and more to stimuli... we certainly hope he won't die, and it doesn't look like he will.

by the way, what was the caveman experience?

According to Shandra from Catalytic Souls, no one died at this event.

Regardless...here's my review:

We left from Indy at 4am and got to the venue (after shopping) by noon. After relaxing/resting/chilling, they let us park early (right up front bitches!) and start setting up camp. This let us get the exact campsite we wanted and it was a lifesaver. Had about 11ish people in our little village which ended up being perfect. We camped in the grove past the underground mafia stage right over the hill, so we got plenty of music.

Friday night:

Had a badass time.

The 4 hour chunk of Catalytic Souls DJs was alright, but they should have either put them earlier or mixed them up because they got really repetitive and everything sounded pretty unoriginal. If they were split up I could see them being a bit more enjoyable.

Jackal & Hyde tore it up as always, but I think this should be their last year at UGS as it's a little played out and jesus fuck I am so tired of breaks.

Woody McBride was tight, but I don't think people were really vibing to it at all, which is too bad, ESP is tight. I wandered off during his set and caught Carnal Motive (I think?) playing some SICK dnb at the outlawed stage. Really great stuff going on there.

Came back for Hallucinogen, but they were WAY late putting him on and the adrenaline was wearing off, so I made it up the hill at 3:30ish to chill at the campsite. Luckily I still caught a lot of the set from our campsite and it sounded badass. I wish the timeslots were held as I would have really enjoyed that set.

Getting to sleep to Shpongle was great though.

Saturday:
The underground mafia stage was playing some really tight IDM/triphop early in the morning and was PERFECT for waking up to. Mad props to them for making my entire morning.

After breakfast, we went down to the main stage to hear some dubstep only to hear the DJs there wrecking like mad. Not sure what was going on, but man, dubstep is easy as fuck to mix. It's too bad the tracks were really good.

Saturday night:
I'm ticked I missed the Angel Alanis set, I've heard nothing but good things there.
-Roland was pretty good, but I didn't catch most of his set.
-Computer Club was off the fucking hook
-Ooah KILLED IT!
-Evol Intent was pretty decent, and while Gigantor played a few unreleased stuff, he also played a lot of stuff from DSL's Substance D album which was good and bad. Great tracks, I was just expecting a lot more stuff from their new album. Oh well, great set regardless.
-Tommie Sunshine was good as well, but at that point I was tired and sitting around.
-Baby Anne played the best set I've ever heard her spin. At this point I was completely sick and tired of hearing breaks, but she actually kept my attention. Color me surprised.

We went up to the underground mafia stage after that and heard Danksii which ended my night.

Overall it was a great show with great vibes, but please please please end the progressive/breaks/techno trend. Last year there were multiple dnb acts while this year I only heard one, which was very disappointing. Hearing the same beat pattern all night Friday was really starting to get to me, as well as the people I was with. But I guess that's what the other stages are for. Just wished for more on the main stage. Also, as much as I hate to admit it, Spree and ADB should have been a mainstage act.

The weather was definitely on our side as it was about 50-70 degrees at night and peaked at maybe 85 during the day. Humid as fuck, but what do you expect in August? Great vibes.

Also, drug use was a little high compared to last year. It was impossible not to find whatever drug you were looking for, which is a little scary given the natural "music festival" responsible users:idiot kids ratio.

Edit: Seamonkey, we had assumed you found a ride or backed out when we left, but we did have an extra spot in the car. Sucks we weren't in contact. I figured I knew everyone from Indy that was going. Maybe next time? :(

Hollow Point said:
Edit: Seamonkey, we had assumed you found a ride or backed out when we left, but we did have an extra spot in the car. Sucks we weren't in contact. I figured I knew everyone from Indy that was going. Maybe next time? :(

I thought out of all of the people who said they were interested in going, at least ONE person would come through, but everyone backed out on me at the last minute, and I didn't want to make the drive alone. I was also hesitant to spend loads of money to go, as I've been spending money faster than I've been making it lately. As much as I would have LOVED to finally see Shpongle, Shiva ended up coming over Friday night and I ended up having a blast and playing records until the sun came up, so it wasn't a total loss. Definitely need to make it there next year though. I miss the cave.

Sea Monkey said:
I thought out of all of the people who said they were interested in going, at least ONE person would come through, but everyone backed out on me at the last minute, and I didn't want to make the drive alone. I was also hesitant to spend loads of money to go, as I've been spending money faster than I've been making it lately. As much as I would have LOVED to finally see Shpongle, Shiva ended up coming over Friday night and I ended up having a blast and playing records until the sun came up, so it wasn't a total loss. Definitely need to make it there next year though. I miss the cave.

We all actually didn't spend that much money.

$45 ticket
$10 parking
$100 gas (split with turtle)
$40 walking around money inside the venue
$25-30 food/water

I kind of felt bad that your friends dropped out on you. Good to hear the weekend wasn't a total bust and you probably ended up making it to Summer Sessions anyway.

We'll work something out in the future. %)

Sea Monkey said:
If they have one..... I hope so!

im sure theres a possibility of another, caveman bob was talking about he wants to because he loves the money he makes. who cant with 800 presales($40=$32000), and 2k+ at the door($60=$120,000) and $10 parking with at least thousand if not more cars. The music wont be able to go past 3am because of the noise ordinance but thats normal shutdown time for bars, and i doubt they will adhere to it to the T. You can still have the smaller stages playing music well into the morning with no problem at all, they are pretty quiet compared to the main stage.

feelgoodhit said:
"the seizure guy" is my friend Red. he's currently still in a coma, but responding more and more to stimuli... we certainly hope he won't die, and it doesn't look like he will.

by the way, what was the caveman experience?
I know Red too, he's a cool guy. I didn't know it was him until eariler today actually when somebody told me. I hope for the best.

Tim Fusion said:
However, in order to protect the interest of the trademark I have ask for clarification of your final statement.

"They're trying to put a case together against Bob Goodale (Caveman Bob)"

This event was in no way affiliated with The Caveman Experience. *Unfortunately an issue has come up in the past that forces me to say that. The attorney did a google search and The Caveman Experience and Underground Sound were tied together in the law suit. etc, etc, etc....*

Sorry. By Caveman, I meant Bob Goodale. Regardless of the different events being unrelated, the common factor is Bob, the cave, and the amount of drugs that comes through the area for the shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.