IL, Murphysboro - 08.15-17.08 Camping Weekend - UnderGround Sound 4 *REVIEW*

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a long drive to make for a bunch of one hour sets from the headliners.

Tiffy_aka_Nibbles said:
Yeah what paper?

Your stuff will/should be searched @ the gate.... It's private property as far as I know and previous years I have seen like two cops in the gates but they were undercovers and they really weren't doing much but being ass' and trying to kick people out

I was told since it was private prop. that they couldn't mess with us but I don't really know how that works and Caveman is not as bad as you make him out to be seriously ... He's always been real cool with me except for being a pervy old man.. but hey he's an old man most are like that

It was on TV.

http://www.wsiltv.com/p/news_detail...D=5093&type=top

Concerns at Saltpetre Cave

JACKSON CO. -- For years the Shawnee Saltpetre Cave has drawn thousands to Southern Illinois with events like Cavefest. But officials in Jackson County say on many occasions- the fun is proving hazardous.

Sheriff's officials say illegal activity isn't unusual at the cave. This past weekend they received a 911 call reporting someone had over-dosed on drugs and was trying to jump off a cliff. The sheriff's department is investigating that incident.

"We're not above and beyond people going out and having a good time- but you run into problems," says Jackson County Deputy Mark Wilson.

It's a picture of natural beauty, but according to sheriff's officials, the Saltpetre cave has developed a reputation that's not so pretty...

"We've been called out before with complaints about drugs, underage consumption of alcohol, we've had past theft calls from individuals on the property, and-or their vehicles being broken into," says Wilson.

Wilson says calls to the cave exhaust the sheriff's department's resources- as well as the ambulance service. Along with noise and safety concerns, Wilson says the number one complaint from neighbors is traffic on 127- he says it could become a hazard.

"The isolated area in the county- the hills and the roadway- traffic gets backed up as they're coming down to Saltpetre cave to make entrance into the grounds for the events," Wilson says.

Meanwhile Owner Bob Goodale says the cave brings thousands to southern Illinois every year, and without it our area would lose out on money spent at local businesses. Goodale says any backlash from the cave's six events a year is a small price to pay for what he calls an asset to southern Illinois tourism.

While it's widely known for Cavefest, Goodale says it's also a place for wedding receptions and church groups. Still sheriff's officials are calling for a change.

"I feel like there needs to be more control," says Wilson, "It amounts to people getting together and sitting down and discussing it."

Goodale says he's willing to work with county officials, but no one has approached him about any problems. State's Attorney Mike Wepsiec says he wants to develop an ordinance that would assist in controlling the area, but nothing has been finalized at this time.

By: Emily Eddington
[email protected]

and there was a huge discussion on The Southern's forum about it. I'm sure the county is more than aware of the issues anyways. Last year 12 people od'ed and went to the hospital.

ImpossibleDreamer said:
So I heard through the vine that a local paper did an article a month or so ago about the amount of drugs coming through the area, including an interview with Caveman Bob.

Told yah:D

lack of advance preparation + lack of passengers with whom to split gas money + all the shit I have to finish up/take care of before I move back East at the end of the month + low odds of finding BLers + recent >$2000 expenditures for car repairs + having already seen most of the headliners in whom I'm interested = I'm not going to the party. Have fun, everyone who is!

This past weekend they received a 911 call reporting someone had over-dosed on drugs and was trying to jump off a cliff.

must not have been trying very hard

well if dumbasses would learn to get fucked up in a responsible manner then these things wouldn't be an issue.

but wait, those silly monkeys cant even use a porta potty without making a mess, so i guess moderation of drug use is out of the question.

EVERYONE who said they might go with me has backed out. This is shit. I might stay home. I really want to see Shpongle though. :(

^^^hey you got $30 for some gas i'm done the road(if u still live in broadripple) we are leaving here in 30.

PE@CE LOVE,
pharmy

358-5974

Tiffy_aka_Nibbles said:
No bottles of liquor! They won't let you bring in any glass containers..... or kegs!!!! so yeah...
The must of caught on, I brought a keg 2yrs ago. lol

isn't tim fusion the guy that threw the first 2 caveman experiences?

i wonder if his 2 cents are a sign of jealousy.

ehhhhhhhhhhhh... If I could go back to Friday, I would have rather seen SPKTRM...

This was my first time at the cave, and I must say, I was not disappointed in the least. It's a different fucking world out there. Can't wait for next time.

re: the guy that "tried to jump off a cliff". thats not the case. the dude was running around near them rambling about being on a beach in europe or something, in his boxers, junk hanging out, obviously way too fucked up. someone was watching saying it was under control. i dont know who that was, but they were a fuckin' retard.

the guy fished out shortly thereafter,... like grand mal, blue face, foaming at the mouth. at that point he was near the cliffs and could have cratered onto the dancefloor like 200ft or whatever it was below. thankfully people moved him, even though i guess that not the brightest idea when having a massive seizure. but it was that or let him fall, or smack his head around on boulders.

he was taken to the paramedics. apparently they wouldn't treat him without knowing his name, and that guy obviously wasn't talking. his "friends" were nowhere to be found. that got sorted, im not sure what all they did. he died later that day. this is 1st hand knowledge BTW... and I sure as SHIT do not want to witness fucking bullshit like that again. it shouldn't have happened. i dont' know if it was him being a retard, his friends being retards, or the 30% of the people fucking peddling like maniacs without knowing fuck all about what they were distributing... or what. in 11 years of constantly going to events, I have never seen shit like that, people that irresponsible, and so on. this is why i quit hitting up raves about 8 years ago and just go to psy parties where there is a real family vibe.

the damn thing was intolerable by saturday. the psy camp was the only decent place to be, and fuck if i didn't have to peel wasted ass tripping all day and night fucked up girls off me constantly. just chilling at our site people would literally fall all the fuck over us. totally fucked up.

now thats fine if people are fried. its fine if they get naked and do whatever the fuck they do. its fine if people dose the fuck up and "commune with nature". its not so cool when peopel turn into wastoids that require supervision to not hurt themselves. i get sick of babysitting people like that. here and there, ok, thats part of being a community.

i wouldn't be surprised if there were a bunch of rapes either. good lord what kind of horny pills where these people on. and i kept running into the most perverted skeevy dudes. i was actually pretty concerned about a lot of the people I met.

AFAIK a second person died. a 3rd massively OD on GHB but i think that turned out ok? then at ~4am sat the cops returned with a warrant, arrested tom foolery, and shut everything down.

posford even watered down his set to fit the rave atmosphere. the most calm live hallucinogen Ive heard. he fuckin' thumped the shit out of it about a quarter of the way through.... but it wasn't what it could have been.

over all... a swing and a miss.

rumor is that was the last underground sound.

and while the venue is very pretty, yes, iit is dangerous as a motherfucker for people lit off their ass. there are so many places where a single step past the treeline would send you rolling down the fucking hill over the cliffs.

as soon as I got in the gates (after the cops hassled the hell out of everyone), and saw what was going on, I knew right away this was not going to end in a positive way. not at all. not that i didn't have a good time before the fucking drama and BS, and I met some super cool people. but that is just no way to run a party.

Last edited:
and that is exactly why i tend to avoid massives. its fun and all, but people take it as a ticket to fucking waste face with no regard for their own or others safety.

Just got back, man do I feel like shit. This year was absolute chaos IME.
Me and stagnantreaction were the only ones on bikes I think, so if you were in one of the many cars who passed us on Hwy 127, much love.........................................................but you should've given us a lift :p

Status
Not open for further replies.