• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines I think magnesium glycinate reduces the effects of DMT

DMT tolerance isn't really a thing though, and I'm using a pen, so I'm not heating it up enough to destroy anything.
I mean there is initial tolerance that lasts like an hour but I've often been able to dive right back in within a half hour. I've done this so many times by now that I would've encountered tolerance by now. Maybe for very few people it has one, but I'm not one of them.

My only guess at this point is what G_chem said, that psilocin in my system lately is responsible for blunting the effects. Otherwise the magnesium is really the only difference lately, last night was the first time I took glycinate in like a week before a trip since I figured it wasn't responsible, and I hit a ceiling that I've never hit before. Yet I felt the body rush as normal on the first hit... very odd. But yeah, since psilocin is just DMT with a phosphorus ring (O-phosphoryl-4-hydroxy-N,N-dimethyltryptamine) I would guess it's the only possibility at this point, because some amount of this was consumed the last few trips where it took so much more to feel it. Last night was just way different, I at least tripped balls those other times, but last night I couldn't quite get there. I did trip pretty hard but I noted I was too functional, my ego was still there.

DMT tolerance isn’t a thing. But all you have to do is go over to the DMT nexus and read about how people have DMT flat out stop working. Then, after a break, they resume and seem to get good effects again. I have never had a pen though, so unsure of the dynamics.

Can very well be magnesium does dull DMT. I’m not sure I could ever substantiate that though, I’m not sure what the baseline would be. But you have documented this a few times Mac from some sort of baseline. So you’re probably further ahead than anyone else on this.

I may or may not try again tonight, I don't want to waste what I've got since my friend would have to make more crystals, but it'd be strange for it to stop working given I've used it less regularly than I did last summer where I tripped each time, sometimes to intensely I'd just black out most of it, this hasn't happened here except for a few breakthrough trips but I mostly remember it like an extreme vivid dream each time. But yeah, on average I do it like 3 times a week but usually for consecutive days. I've only ever actually broken through with these recent pens, actually and it was kind of an accident each time. The same amount might break me through or it might make me almost.

Pens work the same as any other method in my experience, but is more akin to the sandwich method than say, dropping 50mg on a glass dabber and exploding into hyperspace. I actually quite dislike it that way, at least with pen or sandwich method you get to choose if you want to go further. With the dabber, you blast off further than you want to oftentimes which can lead to some pretty traumatic trips. It took me awhile before I could do DMT again and I'm not sure most people would've even wanted to after some of the trips I had like that.

Maybe I should wait for the HPPD to fade away... text is so crooked and weird at times, melty, etc. Just like on a pretty heavy DMT trip comedown but it's clearly from the psilocin mostly, I think. Or the combination.

Last edited:
If you're getting HPPD symptoms and decreased effects from smoking DMT, I think you really need a break from it.

Yeah, you're probably right. I wish I hadn't had so many hours/days cut from work but it has to do with some payroll change, or something to that effect, so I've had nights of being able to stay up late without much else to do. I never do DMT if I work the next day, at least almost never.

Then it must be the psilocybin intake lately, that's all I can think of. I'm sure there's no cross tolerance necessarily, but there could still be some kind of interaction going on. I'm not gonna touch it tonight, I've felt pretty shitty all day, took way too much kratom this afternoon. It's a dose I'll normally have, around 6g, although I think it was accidentally like 7g, but when I work I only end up taking 4g and my tolerance ends up going down, so I got pretty destroyed by that. Gotta work on getting it down to 3g like I used to take.

Yeah, magnesium should've reduced the effects of mushrooms (actually it reduces kratom tolerance/is known to potentiate so that didn't help today), it definitely didn't reduce muscle tension for me though, or like, it's hard to tell... The last time I tripped pretty hard I felt this uncomfortable rush throughout my body, my muscles didn't necessarily feel tense, that was the 2nd time I felt like I had to take way more DMT to feel anything but I was already tripping. I had this laughing fit at one point, it kind of felt like I needed to be with someone else tripping because it was like this feeling of energy or, something, it's hard to explain. Overall last week I consumed psilocybin on like 4 days, counting smaller amounts used for headaches, and based on the visual glitches I'm getting, it's a sign I should probably not do DMT for a few more days at least, and also avoid psilocybin even in small amounts. I think considering the small amounts it's been somewhat regular the past 10 days.

Those chocolate bars feel a hell of a lot more intense, it's supposed to be psilocin and it kicks in ridiculously fast, but it doesn't entirely feel the same as regular shrooms. I don't recall feeling a crazy body rush during my last intense trip on regular shrooms last August, I felt really sedated if anything whilst hallucinating out of my mind. The bars don't seem to last as long either, I'll be tripping for up to 12 hours on shrooms but the bars it's more like 6. I wouldn't think it's RCs in the bar because the brand is well known, but it's certainly not the same as some bar I had last July that actually had trace taste of shrooms and the burps tasted like shrooms too.

I´ve spent months smoking dmt and 5 meo-dmt evry night. For hours.I could consume maybe 100-150mgs in a session. Amounts that will send to the hospital/grave to a non tolerant user, to me almost didnt register.

So I can pretty much confirm you that:" dmt / 5-meo-dmt doesnt produce tolerance" is a myth. I didnt read in papers, I experience it for months on end. Surely it doesnt produce the same amount of tolerance as longer acting compounds, but as long as you start to abuse the substance the tolerance it is innegably there

That honestly sounds like it won't lead somewhere good, you surely must have HPPD pretty badly.
I still think for most people either form shouldn't produce tolerance at least. No studies have ever shown any to develop, particularly in rats at least. Within 30 minutes perhaps, most people seem to have to wait around an hour to be able to fully trip again, it's roughly 1h30m for me at least to be able to break through again. But sometimes I've been surprised and able to keep doing it even before I feel I've fully come down.

I never experienced general tolerance with my monthly use last summer. Maybe some degree of psychological tolerance since you say you've done it for hours every night for months on end. But seriously that sounds like way too much to be using... I mean taking that much for hours? Maybe that's the main problem, not waiting long enough between the trips.

My HPPD is way down today, I'm typing and reading and nothing is melting/distorting, so I'll give it another go tonight.

Last edited:
A break can’t hurt.

Two terms I am glad I grew up without pre internet. HPPD and PAWS. Thankfully or I could have made myself crazy from the suggestion. I can admit ever since my first trip at 14 years old I can see kaleidoscope patterns on walls and things. Not enough to interfere with my life. In fact I have always loved that fact. Maybe that is not HPPD so I can't really say. I suspect a bad case of HPPD is a different story. But at my level it was never a bad thing with me. Weed kicks it in and I love it. I always said it is seeing beyond the stars to the constellations. Just a poetic way that made me feel good for 45 years.

PAWS: every time I kicked an opiate habit (never did benzos like that so can't say) I always felt great after the initial acute withdrawal and a week or two of healing. Very proud to have taken the bull by the horns and win. So I always felt good after a kick. (I will keep you all posted if that changed with years of moderate kratom use) A nice traveling vacation works wonders after a kick to get the juices flowing again. A psychedelic trip to get our visions in order.

I think I will stop here. Don't get me started on other names that have surfaced.. (I will be disagreed with for sure and to be honest my mind can change on these topics) ADHD, CHS, and a few other. In that case I have ADHD and amphetamines help me study. Oh yea I forgot, that notion was know for probably 70 years for college students and cramming for exams. I just think some people should be able to get prescribed amphetamines without the fancy label. Maybe that is what is irritating me, not the people that are diagnosed, but by a doctor that could be arrogant.

I could be stubborn in my beliefs. And i do think people are having issues in areas, the labels get to me.

I see the kaleidoscope patterns on walls as well ever since my last intense shroom trip last August, and yeah getting really baked ramps it up a lot and every so often trails when I move my hand across my face from one single LSD trip 7 years ago. HPPD is different, usually more associated with visual snow or things breathing and distorting very intensely. I didn't mind the distorted text so much, but it is completely gone today which is good, so that's why I will likely try DMT again tonight. Although if I get high enough, I've always been able to see that wobbly text or flashing colors in text ever since my DMT and then shroom bender last summer, I do quite enjoy that.

Alright well... it definitely let me in as normal tonight, felt the usual effects I'd feel. I didn't take magnesium beforehand just in case and I don't know if that's why I was able to trip this hard. I kind of doubt it, can try tomorrow with magnesium first and see if that still happens. What's odd is I didn't really have pre-trip anxiety at all. I took some L-theanine hours ago, I wonder if that's why?

Interesting. I take 200mg magnesium glycinate and 2x 1040mg omega 3 supplements first thing the morning after waking up. I learned somewhere that magnesium glycinate helps with muscle stiffness that comes when taking stimulant drugs.

I have taken DMT ~T+0:45-1:00 after taking 200mg magnesium glycinate and also in the night (~T+13:00-14:00), and I noticed DMT is significantly pronounced in the night. I don't know if magnesium has anything to do with it or if it's all in my head.

(Also, DMT with ~T+6:00-7:00 of LSD is beautiful, last time I took it, my world literally turned into animation; everything around me seemed like real cartoon objects).

In my case Im lucky enought that it didnt trigger HPPD nor similar fuckanzas. I have the occasional light flashback maybe 2-3 times a year that I just enjoy it as a free trip.

That phase was like 10 years ago, by the way, currently only consume microdosages sparingly and loving the effects. Pretty much the perfect vitamins for the soul if you ask me

I´ve studed magnesium quite a bit too. I would say that the best form is mag chroride (magnesium oil) applied topically. Is one of the cheapest and paradoxically, more bioavailable. For me at least all the oral forms, glicinated included loose too much the guts

Didn't take magnesium again, I intended to but was baked all night and forgot. I felt it off way less than I normally do or have lately, so I'm thinking the psilocybin actually did somehow block the effects some. Still have to try magnesium again, but it makes less sense.

Btw, I have tinnitus normally, but I've noticed DMT can create this weird static, almost musical ring. I've had ear hissing lately but I wouldn't think DMT is why, THC is the one thing that really worsens my ringing, although a combo with CBD earlier seemed to make it less so. Last few trips it's seemed like my ears begin to hiss a lot after DMT trips if they weren't that bad before, THC does it more but I don't know if some of it is just the inhaling for a long time and holding it in repeatedly causing pressure in the head might be part of that.

I used to have a stronger one last summer I think, but I was also on Amitriptyline at the time. I think this made tripping easier off less, but I'd basically black out most of them entirely if not fully. It's known to potentiate LSD, maybe psilocybin and DMT are included or it's just a different interaction.

Last edited:
Tonight I did magnesium glycinate roughly 2 hours ago, I can say for certain that it absolutely lessens the effects for me personally.
I just kept doing it until I didn't even know how many I did exactly... but yes, magnesium glycinate can certainly reduce the effects. I guess it depends on the individual, but the proof is pretty clear that for me, it blocks a breakthrough, it blocks a great deal of distortion that would normally happen. My last 2 trips with L-threonate were significantly more intense, I had to put the thing down after 5 rips because things distorted so badly the other night. I think tonight I took... 7? 8? Until I reached this state of cross eyed paralysis practically. I don't know why glycine lessens the effects so much for me, but I guess that's how my body works with it or something. Last few trips were like 4 or 5 rips and then total reality destruction, that's typically how it was before I started taking any magnesium, but I think as long as its not right after I took the magnesium I should be good. I waited too long tonight to trip

Last edited:
Magnesium, especially more centrally active forms like magnesium glycinate, can likely blunt the effects of 5HT2A agonists to a degree, especially at high enough doses, and especially if one is a regular user of these psycheledics is therefore attuned to the differences in effect. Activation of 5HT2A by compounds like DMT lead to a release of glutamate, and this release has significant role in the "psycheledic" effect. Increasing the amount of glutamate in the synapse poteniates this effect and reducing it blunts the effect. It may even be that 5HT2A and certain metabotropic glutamate receptors act as heteroreceptor complexes in this regard:

So yeah in any event by decreasing presynaptic glutamate release and reducing catecholamine release, centrally active forms of magnesium glycinate could likely blunt/reduce the sparkle of DMT a bit
Yeah, 100%. This was the first trip I've taken with glycinate in awhile since I realized psilocybin had been blocking me before and figured it had to be just that but... yeah, glycine reduces the effects a fuckton for me, it's absolute. This stuff really does prevent me from breaking through let alone having really intense experiences. My tinnitus which was behaving well is also way worse now, but maybe that's just from the sheer amount of deep inhales and exhales (probably). I didn't have plans to trip tomorrow, I work Thursday morning and don't usually take it when I work the next day but now I gotta double check without magnesium how big the difference is.

I'll just say that I see no reason magnesium of any sort would dull psychedelic activity.

It's not the magnesium itself, it's the glycine, and it would seem most people don't experience this dulling, but a very small fraction. I encountered some people elsewhere who had the same problem. All I know is ever since I stopped the glycinate (sans a capsule here and there) I've been tripping harder than ever, then the first trip I start with it again it's impossible to breakthrough. At first I thought L-threonate had the same issue but really it was the regular consumption of psilocybin. Not that there's exactly a cross tolerance but I think there could be a degree at which they compete, someone suggested that earlier in this thread somewhere. Doing DMT on shrooms is totally fine and an extremely intense experience but ingesting some degree of psilocybin for days on end definitely made it hard to go far, I still could though. With the glycinate I just get straight up blocked. Again, this is just how it works for me. If I do the DMT soon enough then it's no problem. The only reason I took the glycinate last night was because I was convinced it couldn't have been this but now I'm more sure than ever that it is. After all, I wasn't regularly consuming psilocybin at the time of making this thread, the only change at that point was introducing magnesium glycinate.

And while I understand that DMT just might not be as intense or "not work" for some, this has just never really been the case with me and I've done it countless times by now. Even when I was taking anti-depressants that should've blocked effects significantly I was still able to trip extremely hard.

It's not the magnesium itself, it's the glycine,
Glycine is literally the simplest amino acid and your body is already chock full of it, consuming a trivial amount as a supplement should have no effect.