• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids I ordered Phenibut 300mg HCL capsules, some questions

A light dose of Phenibut gives me good sleep and I wake up in a good mood, relaxed and feeling sharp. That's it's best use for me, kinda as a nootropic.
Chasing a heavier effect is more hit and miss for me. I can end up feeling good for a while with a horrible hangover (although it can also be a nice, long buzz).
So, I'm not a particularly good sounding board. I found it's uses to be best at lower doses and subtle.

For good sleep, etc., better take it hours before bed. And don't redose, or you will be giving that presentation rather disheveled.

Yeah I re-dosed 1 cap after like 2.5 hours. I did become more sedated, had some cross vision and trouble walking. Reminded me of how Gabapentin felt with no tolerance at 900mg, I was messed up really bad from that though. I'd probably be in similar territory if I took closer to 2g. I kind of want to avoid any hangover effect though. Does it feel like being hungover after a night of drinking or just lethargy?

Yeah I re-dosed 1 cap after like 2.5 hours. I did become more sedated, had some cross vision and trouble walking. Reminded me of how Gabapentin felt with no tolerance at 900mg, I was messed up really bad from that though. I'd probably be in similar territory if I took closer to 2g. I kind of want to avoid any hangover effect though. Does it feel like being hungover after a night of drinking or just lethargy?
It's made me sick before in higher doses yeah. Sounds like maybe just stick with 3 caps then. It could've snuck up on you and the extra cap messed you up.

Valium works on Gaba-a and phenibut works on gaba-b. I started off with 1 gram, then 1.5g, then eventually 2g. 2g appeared to be my safe zone. 2.5-3g felt like too much. Everyone's different that's just how it affected me. If you took 3 300mg caps, that's less than a gram. I would take 4-5 caps next time. It can be a subtle drug too.

I primarily take F-Phenibut these days it's been more useful for me.
what does receptors does Xanax act on? or is it very different

what does receptors does Xanax act on? or is it very different
Xanax, valium's, and all classic benzos work on gaba-a. Other sedatives that work on gaba-b are like ghb, baclofen, and others. I'm not pharmacologically inclined and couldn't say why they are different.

They're just qualitatively different. Some don't even work on gaba-b but get lumped into the same category.

The stuff takes surprisingly long to reach peak effect. 2.5 hours might be the bare minimum. Longer would not surprise me at all.

So, here's my overall review of 1-1.2g.

Number one, I have tinnitus and it made it quite a bit worse in my left ear. I noticed this a few hours in, there was this strange sound coming from my left ear. And holy SHIT is it hissing extremely bad today. This alone makes it almost not worth it to me, I guess this is a common side effect. Would have to experiment more, I don't plan to take any tonight.

Number two, it is very, very sedating. I was getting cross vision at times and had a lot of trouble walking. At one point I completely fell over when I got out of bed to go piss. I did step on the end of a plug but that'd normally just make me go ow or something, I just ate shit. It does feel more like a benzo, and I still feel pretty out of it into today.

Number three, I didn't find the high to be all that special. Again I didn't take a very high dose, and I don't know if I'd really want to, honestly. I might try it out before a social event or chilling with friends some hours before going since it can take awhile. It seems after I started eating like it kicked in stronger similar to Gabapentin.

Number four, THC is the king. That's really all I need. My left ear could be particularly bad today because I did get higher than usual last night. I hit some strawberry cough before passing out because I wasn't ready to pass out, I was watching some videos, trying to stay awake, and the next thing I know I'm like, face against my laptop asleep. I thought it might help wake me up a bit but it didn't. I'd gotten higher than usual the night before as well which may be why my ears didn't get so quiet at work, they usually do. THC seems to worsen my tinnitus the next day a lot if I go overboard but on the other hand, sometimes I do this and the next day is fine or quieter. Last Friday was an example, and even while high coming back from a friend's house, a hot shower made a big dent in my tinnitus as usual. Last night it didn't really, and I think the Phenibut is a likely factor.

Either way, whatever the root cause of my tinnitus is, THC makes it worse, but temporarily for the most part, though it's generally been way better lately. Only thing that sucks is how much jaw/head pain I've had lately which I think is due to my wisdom teeth, need to get the shits out. The ringing I got in my left ear was before I got high and was just from the Phenibut, I'm positive of that. I still hear that odd type of ring which is completely different than anything I've had.

This kind of felt like Ambien in some ways, but I did take a bunch of GABAgenic herbs, Gabapentin and Valium along with it, so that likely made it a lot more sedating. So it was hard to detect just Phenibut, beyond the brain fog I initially got. The extra cap I took definitely did sneak up especially after I got high. I'm cautious about trying more, I plan to on Saturday, maybe, hours before going out. Perhaps taking this alone without other stuff would show me what it feels like by itself. But there was no profound euphoria or anything, I was just really sedated and fucked up. Euphoria for me comes mostly from THC, which again is my favorite substance.

Quite the brain fog today. I took kratom awhile ago and it feels stronger than usual. Maybe one day I'll take 1 cap of phenibut during the day but I'm not sure. Might have a nootropic effect at that point?

The big thing I dislike is the long comeup time, and the fact that you have to be on an empty stomach. Some people said it works fine for them on a full stomach and I've yet try that, but the majority say full stomach will either delay the onset time significantly or make it not work well at all. I can't imagine food would matter that much if it's closer on pharmacology to a benzo, which will just have delayed onset. Gabapentin/Lyrica are better absorbed with food as well, though IME they can work much faster on empty stomach. With or without food personally never mattered that much for me with Gabapentin.

Last edited:
So I read this from an erowid experience where someone took 4g... is this true? Doesn't make sense to me: "My understanding of Phenibut biochemistry is that it primarily antagonizes the GABA-B receptor at therapeutic to strong doses, but at heavy doses switches to antagonizing the GABA-A receptor, which results from the drug switching to a nootropic and stimulating effect to a sedating, alcohol-like effect. At this stage"

from this experience https://erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=114968

I can for sure say it's made my afternoon kratom dose today way, way more sedating. I'm struggling to stay awake.

Last edited:
If you want to know the pharmacology of phenibut you can google Baclofen.

They are almost identical in properties and effects. That way you will know exactly what you are taking.

This isn't exactly true. Baclofen is purely a GABA-B agonist, whereas phenibut is both a GABA-B agonist as well as a voltage-gated calcium ion channel blocker like gabapentin. Phenibut is a lot more recreational and euphoric than baclofen.

Phenibut and gabapentin have a lot of similarities, but phenibut is easier to take too much of and feel very unpleasant. It also takes longer to come on than gabapentin.

I would say that phenibut is most similar to pregabalin, but I prefer pregabalin. In fact lately I have even been preferring gabapentin, because phenibut is very easy to take too much of, whereupon it becomes very unpleasant for a very long time. Dose it right, though, and it's a very nice drug.

So I took 1.5g tonight. Roughly 4 hours after eating an original chicken sandwich from McDonalds and a small fry. At first 1.2, then I took another 300mg capsule like 20-30 minutes later. I've heard some people say staggering it works better, similar to Gabapentin, but that's probably just for maintaining an effect, continuously getting higher. So it's been 3 hours since I took it, not sure if I'm feeling it yet exactly, but I do feel this sort of uppity thing going on like a light roll. I wanna just talk to people and type a lot. Definitely some euphoria, time will tell how the rest of it goes. I got pretty messed up last time on 1.2g, which I'd taken as 900mg and then another capsule a few hours later. I'd eaten less that day but, a lot of people seem to have it work fine with a full stomach or just waiting 2 hours after eating.

Starting to feel pretty wired, actually. This seems to be different than last time. Is it normal for this stuff to be hit or miss or just have somewhat inconsistent effect? It's starting to feel more like a light roll for sure. I can see why people recommend caffeine with it to make it feel even more so. I do have some caffeine capsules but it's a 2:1 ratio of L-theanine and caffeine, 200mg/100mg. So the upper effect of the caffeine would be dwindled.

Screw it I took one more, so 1.8g. I imagine I might have a slight tolerance from Monday. It's definitely amping me up, wow, this is much different.

Last edited:
Holy shit this is crazy, I feel like I'm on ecstacy. I don't think I should've taken that one more capsule. This is so, so much different, god damn. Does anyone know if magnesium would be able to halt some of the effect from the following dose, or like TUMs or something? That's how it goes with gabapentin. I've never found any concrete answer or even mentions of this online. I'm feeling a little anxious and maybe potential nausea though I have an iron stomach. I just wanna talk to people and type endless stories. This really does feel almost identical to mdma, it's no wonder people add caffeine, that'd really amp it up to feel basically identical.

Edit: I feel like a mild psychedelic effect... is that normal? It's like a bit of shrooms added in. I can feel it bubbling around in my stomach.

Last edited:
Phenibut takes a solid 5 hours to reach full effect. I tell people this again and again but no one ever believes me, lol. After 3 hours you're like hmmm, maybe I feel something? Then starting at around 5 hours you're like whoa, okay.

Be on guard for it becoming a bit much. If it does, all that will happen is you'll feel weird in your limbs and have an uncontrollable urge to lay down, an you might sleep very strongly.

I would say there are some similarities to MDMA, I would hardly say anywhere near identical though, personally anyway. It DOES make me want to talk and talk and talk and I have extreme self-confidence. One of the things I most love about it.

I wanted to give it a try for awhile, and things haven't been going so well, so I said fuck it and ordered some. So as for the questions...

What's it feel like, similar to Gabapentin or benzos like Valium?
Should I not combine either of these with it at any point? (I would assume a big yes, maybe not Gabapentin)
Is there a big cross tolerance between Gabapentin/benzos and this?
What would be a good starter dose? I'm assuming maybe 3 capsules.

I'm aware it should not be taken more than one or two times a week at most because I've heard of how bad the withdrawal is, how fast tolerance builds, and how fast withdrawal can occur as well.

I could've bought crystals for cheaper, but I don't know much about that or powder form. I've heard they are very difficult to toss and wash, and I don't have a mg scale, just a regular scale, so I figured capsules would be safer to start on.
One thought mate. Have you ever tried 5htp?

I rate it overall.

Allergic myself.

Melatonin can be unpredictable I don't really rec that.

But also. Shilajit! Check it out. Amazing natural supplement.

Taken with kava too, it becomes kava +++.

1st time I ever took shilajit I was on 1mg of clean acid.

The shilajit felt like mood boosting MDA over the acid and weed, potentiated them lots.

Later made some kava. Shit me lol!

I know exactly what any dose, type kava feels like on any dose LSD any stage, cannabis too but this was a novel and almost holy experience.

Kava + legit shilajit itself too is an incredible potentiation, enriching much.

But add LSD, weed. It parred for me with ketamine on acid and exstacy.

But 5htp is extremely good stuff I think.

Yeah I've tried 5-htp, it didn't do anything for me really. I've heard of it helping people the day after rolling if they get depressed, but this didn't happen for me. I felt very good the day after rolling.

But yeah the phenibut caught me off guard. Some people claim to feel it in an hour, but those have to be pluggers or just otherwise people experiencing placebo.
I actually had to take a Valium because it was getting to be too speedy. I felt uncomfortably comfortable. It actually really did feel almost identical to MDMA though, hell I might've had even less inhibition and I felt quite manic. My pupils were huge too, I don't know if that's normal?

Haven't heard of shilajit. When you say allergic, to what do you mean, the 5-htp? I'm not sure the bit about melatonin either unless you meant to bring something else up. There's definitely no recreational value to it that's for sure lol.

Yeah I've tried 5-htp, it didn't do anything for me really. I've heard of it helping people the day after rolling if they get depressed, but this didn't happen for me. I felt very good the day after rolling.

But yeah the phenibut caught me off guard. Some people claim to feel it in an hour, but those have to be pluggers or just otherwise people experiencing placebo.
I actually had to take a Valium because it was getting to be too speedy. I felt uncomfortably comfortable. It actually really did feel almost identical to MDMA though, hell I might've had even less inhibition and I felt quite manic. My pupils were huge too, I don't know if that's normal?

Haven't heard of shilajit. When you say allergic, to what do you mean, the 5-htp? I'm not sure the bit about melatonin either unless you meant to bring something else up. There's definitely no recreational value to it that's for sure lol.
Yes I acquired Lyme 2005 been literally allergic aka extremely intolerant to wildly varying degree to about say 99% of all items humans commonly ingest ever since.

Sounds improbable but walk around any huge supermarket with me I know exactly what I must avoid, and that's one tiny avenue too.

No supplements like multivitamin calcium magnesium zinc, again 99% very beneficial natural herbs and supplements very intolerant too.

Incl 5htp & melatonin. Spirulina, Activated charcoal, any type of toothpaste, all sugar incl fruit, every tablet, possible prescription medicine, anything not home cooked from the still tbf sufficient safe enough 1% lol.

It's a minefield I navigate nearly blindly.

5htp works strong on me, but allergy is significant respiratory plus major digestive upset and sinuses swelling up inside passages.

The typical affects. It's not worth it even one time, any circumstance same any food anyone here eats typically.

Shilajit, gutted to be allergic to that too because there is something very special and unique about it.

It really boosts focus, washes despair, physically energising but amazingly potentiated kava, and acid, weed too I'm sure but because of the physical allergy to shilajit only tried few times.

Damn that's rough, sorry to hear. My older brother got lyme a few years back and grew quite a few food intolerances, I'm not sure about other things. I'm surprised you'd become allergic to that many things. Where do you get your sources of vitamins then, if possible?

Also, jesus... phenibut is kinda cool and all but fuck it lasts WAY too long. It's been almost 24 hours since I dosed and I'm still in a sedated fog. I'm not going to be taking this again for at least another week. I thought I would've had to dose a little more since it'd been 5 days since my previous time taking it but nope. It certainly gave me an incredible mood lift but was it worth all of this frain fog and fatigue, let alone immense pain in my kidney region this morning preventing me from sleeping more? Nope. Probably because I've been taking ibuprofen too. I assume it was my kidneys, it was located in that exact spot. But I can't really be sure. I've woken up with chest pain all my life sometimes and then I just sit up, breathe and lay back down just like that. Mild apnea perhaps. Or respiratory depression, but Idk. It's not like I was on a cocktail of drugs, I'd just taken some Valium because it started feeling too uppity, and that was 5 hours before I went to bed which was around 7am. I slept until 1ish.

Have you looked into allergy shots/tests? I assume probably so. Allergy shots can really help. I was allergic to everything as a kid and had constant asthma attacks. After about a decade of allergy shots my asthma went away completely and most of my allergies did, too.

Also... damn, this shit seriously lasts too long. It's been like 27 hours and I still feel it. I'm sure my Gabapentin for the night kicked it in more or something... I actually really dislike this about phenibut. I think I would be better off taking 900mg from now on for recreational use, and probably only once a week at most. It was very fun while I was on it but I've just been so groggy and full of brain fog today. I need to make sure to rest up well tonight for work in the morning, but I have Tues/Wed off. I might try it on Tuesday but Idk, might be too close to my last day of taking it. If I do, it'd only be 900mg.

Damn that's rough, sorry to hear. My older brother got lyme a few years back and grew quite a few food intolerances, I'm not sure about other things. I'm surprised you'd become allergic to that many things. Where do you get your sources of vitamins then, if possible?

Also, jesus... phenibut is kinda cool and all but fuck it lasts WAY too long. It's been almost 24 hours since I dosed and I'm still in a sedated fog. I'm not going to be taking this again for at least another week. I thought I would've had to dose a little more since it'd been 5 days since my previous time taking it but nope. It certainly gave me an incredible mood lift but was it worth all of this frain fog and fatigue, let alone immense pain in my kidney region this morning preventing me from sleeping more? Nope. Probably because I've been taking ibuprofen too. I assume it was my kidneys, it was located in that exact spot. But I can't really be sure. I've woken up with chest pain all my life sometimes and then I just sit up, breathe and lay back down just like that. Mild apnea perhaps. Or respiratory depression, but Idk. It's not like I was on a cocktail of drugs, I'd just taken some Valium because it started feeling too uppity, and that was 5 hours before I went to bed which was around 7am. I slept until 1ish.

You have to dose it just right. It takes ages (5+ hours) to come on, and the difference between the right dose, too little to do much of anything, and too much (which sucks and has lots of side effects) is very small.

You have to dose it just right. It takes ages (5+ hours) to come on, and the difference between the right dose, too little to do much of anything, and too much (which sucks and has lots of side effects) is very small.
Yup. You can get a great, long lasting buzz on it, but that's hard to get right.
If you use it for the milder, nootropic effects, that's more dependable.

Ain't too bad to do a milder dose and then have some Lyrica a couple hours later for an extended effect. But, then again, I usually dose Lyrica much more mildly than many. A Lyrica (75mg) and a Gabapentin (100mg) is a nice prelude to a nights drinking IMO.

I used to give presentations to middle school groups which toured our plant. A couple times I did 300/500mg of Phenibut a couple/few hours before bed, slept well, and gave great presentations the next day. I wasn't completely homed in on Phenibut yet and one time I redosed a fair amount since I couldn't sleep. I was slurring and likely looked like a drunk (at least) the next day.

Last edited:
Hi, cheers. Source makes zero difference there though, purity, form, closeness to pure nature even and still these immune triggers do impart the magnif beneficial effects, just outweighed by ghastly physical therefore mental sufferance suffication and day or two maj stomach pain to confirm, yes cannot take x or x or x ever.
Have you looked into allergy shots/tests? I assume probably so. Allergy shots can really help. I was allergic to everything as a kid and had constant asthma attacks. After about a decade of allergy shots my asthma went away completely and most of my allergies did, too.
Have not tried. It may help. I am seeking a patient dedicated necessarily longterm holistic healing path though.

Lyme dysregulates both immune and nervous system even after all causative infections long gone, you still have in many so far seemingly irreversible cases, "Lyme Disease" which isn't an infection, or even complex of but that heavily dysregulated state.

So hard to reverse. My allergies, immune impairment stem there so I'm working on it, learning and seeing v positive changes.

My allergies would be the last thing to clear, as healing works in layers.

Thanks f reminding me though too, the shots. Never ruled it out anyway.