• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Paraphernalia I boiled my pipe and it cracked and….

As someone has already said, using hot or boiling water to clean your pipe was the mistake that led to this problem. My friend used to use some chemical made specifically for cleaning glass paraphernalia but I've always used 90% isopropyl alcohol. Not that 70% shit. Rubbing alcohol, kosher and/or non-iodized table salt, q-tips, and pipe cleaners are all you should need to clean a spoon pipe. Kosher salt is like rock salt in that it has larger particles than basic table salt. Actual rock salt would be too big, though.
  1. Just get a quart sized ziplock baggie, put the pipe inside, and fill it with the alcohol until the pipe is completely submerged.
  2. Pour some kosher salt and table salt in, twist the bag tightly, and shake vigorously like shake n bake. You want to twist the bag instead of just zipping it shut because if you don't twist, it will leak.
  3. Once you shake for several minutes, the pipe will be mostly clean and the liquid will look brown and gooey.
  4. Get some q-tips, dip the end in alcohol, and use them to clean the crust out of the bowl and as far as you can reach inside the pipe. This takes a little patience but the q-tips will clean every part they can reach. Just takes a little rubbing.
  5. Once you've friction-cleaned as much as you can with q-tips, use the pipe cleaners to get to the parts the q-tips wouldn't reach. Obviously you can bend the pipe cleaners to get into the little nooks and crevices to get everything out.
  6. Once the pipe is completely clean of all residue, THEN run it under warm tap water to simply rinse it out. Should be clean as new.
  7. Another bonus piece of advice is to save the dirty alcohol in an empty bottle and once the bottle is filled, put the cap on and just toss it in the trash. You do not want to pour the dirty alcohol salt mixture into the sink as it could gum up the drain and eventually cause a clog.
Sorry but im stuck in my ways of doing things I always use hot water in a pot but this time i rushed it by bringing it to a rolling boil and and it bounced around and cracked,i normally just set the stove on low and leave it there for an hour or two and it comes out looking brand new, im not a fan of using chemicals of any type if i dont have too, especially if im smokin out of them

What I do is dry hit that shit hard as fuck and it warms the resin inside and then can keep on getting solid reson hits..then when I've decided its time to clean I simply use a metal poker of some sort, paperclip? Bobby pin? Anything skinny yet long enough to scrape where I wish.

Also if you do this BEFORE heating it( & by heat I mean my route, dry hit, or bic flame under the outside of yours), before the heat you can scrape, twirl, & swirl like a mad man with your scraper/poker tool of choice, then tip the bowl upside down, possibly spank it a bit and voila you got powdered resin to collect & load a fat resin bowl (and your pipe is a bit cleaner)

But usually if my piece is clogged I just dry hit it until it opens. I've never used isopropyl or any solution imo that is meant for hard to reach areas or if you have sentimental value to said piece.

So this is givin' me flashbacks to like 2002 and a massive internet argument....

Bottom line? You smoke that shit, you will get high. Chances are that high will come with a headache, and typically the headache comes after you cough your lungs out because resin smoke is harsh as a mother fucker.

You'll get high, it'll quench whatever thirst you feel... but there WILL be immediate side effects. Some people love those side effects (and I feel they're dealing with something akin to Stockholm Syndrome) and some people realize that they're just not worth it.
Either way, you're safe doing this. People have done it for generations at the least. Whether you enjoy the experience, however.... well, let us know how it goes.

Personally, I consider resin and residue as trash. Less than that, really... I mean, it's not even to be considered. And I'm not trying to be snobby when I say that, I just look at a lump of scraped resin from a pipe and then have flashbacks to 3rd grade DARE pictures of a lung just completely fucked with tar... and I look at the resin and see that tar, and think to myself "nah dawg, I'm good."

Like, that's literally my whole bias against resin. Fuckin' DARE classes from the 90s.

Last edited:
Sorry but im stuck in my ways of doing things
lol. This should never be an excuse to continue doing something the wrong way.
I always use hot water in a pot but this time i rushed it by bringing it to a rolling boil and and it bounced around and cracked,
Many pipes are surprisingly sturdy, even for being glass. I assure you it wasn't the bouncing alone that cracked it but the combination of the heat and bouncing.
i normally just set the stove on low and leave it there for an hour or two and it comes out looking brand new, im not a fan of using chemicals of any type if i dont have too, especially if im smokin out of them
No one here is suggesting paint thinner or diesel fuel or even soap. Alcohol is very benign and doesn't leave an oily residue. In fact it evaporates quickly and rinsing with warm water further guarantees that no chemical is left behind. But it's cool, man. You do you :)

I smoked plenty of resin as a teenager. After a long dry spell I would sometimes scrape my pipes and be quite happy to get a buzz for the night.

Fast forward to my 20's and being able to maintain my pot habit dependably. I saved various resins in a jar figuring I had a great emergency stash to fall back on. When the inevitable drought did come, I sat back with my big old jar full thinking I was OK for a few days.

I got a buzz from the first hit or two. Nothing great but a good start. On the third hit or so I got a nasty headache. Repeated administration over the next few days was the same.
I threw it away.

Resin does have some THC in it and will get you high. On the other hand, many many people have reported headaches from smoking it in any quantity.

Conclusion, if you have not smoked pot for weeks and you are desperate for a high, a few tokes of resin might satisfy surprisingly well.
If you are a practicing stoner, you'll likely be severely disappointed.

just going to say here that even well known vape manufacturers recommend cleaning vapes in alcohol , as long as you dont let the parts soak too long. The best way from my experience of cleaning any smoking glassware was iso alcohol cotton q tips and then rinse it off, then rinse again one more time with slightly warm salt water, then 1 last time just warm water. This completely neutralises any chemical smell or taste and gives you the best result

lol. This should never be an excuse to continue doing something the wrong way.

Many pipes are surprisingly sturdy, even for being glass. I assure you it wasn't the bouncing alone that cracked it but the combination of the heat and bouncing.

No one here is suggesting paint thinner or diesel fuel or even soap. Alcohol is very benign and doesn't leave an oily residue. In fact it evaporates quickly and rinsing with warm water further guarantees that no chemical is left behind. But it's cool, man. You do you :)
I guess your the kinda person who thinks your way is the right way but yet you agree the a rolling boil is why it broke,have you ever cleaned s pipe in hot water,until you do i guess youll never know

I guess your the kinda person who thinks your way is the right way but yet you agree the a rolling boil is why it broke,have you ever cleaned s pipe in hot water,until you do i guess youll never know
sometimes its good to take constructive feedback on a method that clearly hasnt worked for you as you wouldnt have started this thread

You can buy cleaners. Used to be Formula 420 or Randy's. What I was directed to last time I bought cleaners was non-toxic stuff that works even better. you have to soak your pieces in them. but Agent Orange is great for sparkling glass.
Formula 420 or Randy's are acetone/iPrOH with epsom salts. Agent Orange may be vegetable glycerin. Not certain.

sometimes its good to take constructive feedback on a method that clearly hasnt worked for you as you wouldnt have started this thread
The thread was started about smokin the resin.and one broken pipe in 40+years of smoking sounds like a pretty safe method of cleaning , no ?

The thread was started about smokin the resin.and one broken pipe in 40+years of smoking sounds like a pretty safe method of cleaning , no ?
if the glass is intended for high temperatures then yes but the point is that there are ways to clean it without risking another break is all. Im not a fan of using chemicals either hell half of my stuff is fragrance free to put into perspective my thoughts on that but definitely found iso alcohol or better still is non denatured ethanol , superior to boiling in more than one way

So this is givin' me flashbacks to like 2002 and a massive internet argument....

Bottom line? You smoke that shit, you will get high. Chances are that high will come with a headache, and typically the headache comes after you cough your lungs out because resin smoke is harsh as a mother fucker.

You'll get high, it'll quench whatever thirst you feel... but there WILL be immediate side effects. Some people love those side effects (and I feel they're dealing with something akin to Stockholm Syndrome) and some people realize that they're just not worth it.
Either way, you're safe doing this. People have done it for generations at the least. Whether you enjoy the experience, however.... well, let us know how it goes.

Personally, I consider resin and residue as trash. Less than that, really... I mean, it's not even to be considered. And I'm not trying to be snobby when I say that, I just look at a lump of scraped resin from a pipe and then have flashbacks to 3rd grade DARE pictures of a lung just completely fucked with tar... and I look at the resin and see that tar, and think to myself "nah dawg, I'm good."

Like, that's literally my whole bias against resin. Fuckin' DARE classes from the 90s.
In my teens I had a nickel pipe with a big 1" x 3" screw apart chamber between the bowl and mouth piece
you could shove like 3 grams of flower in, smoke until too clogged up to draw through, then dig the sludgebud out to smoke
I thought it was awesome cause' I was a kid but what the fuck was the pipe maker thinking?

In my teens I had a nickel pipe with a big 1" x 3" screw apart chamber between the bowl and mouth piece
you could shove like 3 grams of flower in, smoke until too clogged up to draw through, then dig the sludgebud out to smoke
I thought it was awesome cause' I was a kid but what the fuck was the pipe maker thinking?
A chamber pipe. I remember those. Yeah, didn't improve the bud all that much.

Now, we can discuss why roaches are definitely better whereas chamber pipe dope is not. ;)

It's called dead resin for a reason (live resin being concentrates) . I've always been a believer in smoking it when a bowl becomes choked with it but I am kind of poor.

Last time I broke a bowl it was caked thick on the inside and much of it was from smoking spice and decent bud so I got really high.

Edit-do you know that I've always heard the "headache" from smoking dead resin but I've never experienced it myself. People I know and respect have but not me. I guess I'm the lucky one who gets off smoking cannabis tar.

Last edited:
I'm the kind of person who doesn't have to cut off his finger to know that it's the wrong way to treat a paper cut :ursmort:

Eeww, yea I used to smoke it when I was a poor teenager. But then again I used to smoke out of foil, plastic, and buy dirt brick we from Mexico.

I don't believe that resin has as much THC as hash, as hash is usually made from (unsmoked ) pollen trichomes. Kief pressed and heated at low temp. Hash can range anything from 15 to 60 % THC.

Although pipe residue may contain useful THC it is most certainly of very low dose. Will it make you high, possible, but so would holding your breath at that point.

-peace