• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

HR: Autobiographical material that illustrates harm due to recklessness or addiction

Ta muchly... Maybe check them out when cravings are less likely to last all of 3 seconds and im on the phone..

Swansea Love Story

None comes close to just how poignant it was to watch during the first few weeks off IV Diamorph/Fent.

Swansea Love Story

None comes close to just how poignant it was to watch during the first few weeks off IV Diamorph/Fent.

Made it to part 2 on Ytube... Too soon for me. I'm lay in a comfy bed, feeling relatively good; and I'm fuckin jealous. Oh the madness 8)

Dark end of the street. A doc about a group of teens addicted to black tar heroin in San Francisco , very sad film.
one girl from it Tracey is a moderator on Reddit opiates and has been clean for somthing like 16 years , she does so much HR work Seends care pagages and narcan to people who can't buy syringes in the state they live. I think she's personally responsible for saving 46 forum member lives.
a truely wonderful person.

Anyone into iggy pop really should reed wonderland AV , what I mentioned last night.
not only did Danny become his manager but was also his landlord , giving him a room on wonderland AV in the mansion the record company paid for.
Some of the story's make you wonder how dudes sill alive. The books not just about the doors. Fucking great read.

Some more,

I am Ozzy
Ozzy Osbourne

My Daughter's Addiction-A theif in the Family by Marie Minnich

Drink Me - Stuart Thorogood

Loss of Innocence by Carren Clem n Ron Clem

Got the Life-My journey of Addiction, Faith, Recovery, n KORN -

Painkiller Addict - Cathryn Kemp

Amu My Daughter - by Mitch Winehouse

Evey

Shane Levene is brilliant...
...he is one of my favourite writers...

...he is a poet, and painter as well...his paintings are amazing..
Memoirs of a Heroinhead has all his collated works he has selected himself...
He has a blog that has tonnes more, which the link should be on that page, he has Facebook too...
Www.Shane Levene.com

He is brilliant in his writing, the way he pieces everything together is astounding...
...it's as if you are there, experiencing it yourself... All of his art(paintings, books,poetry) is amazing...he's got lots that don't even mention heroin, and he doesn't focus on just being loaded, or that being loaded all the time is cool.
He is brilliant in my opinion, up there with Hemingway, Hunter.S, and George Orwell, Georges non fiction stuff...
Check out 'Down and out in Paris and London' by George Orwell...
...Shane's writing is on par with that Orwell novel for sure, if not better..

Please do check him out

And he is a really really nice guy

A Million Little Pieces by James Frey, imo an extremely engaging and moving account of one young mans battle to overcome his addictions to drink and drugs. The book received mixed reviews

"In September 2005, the book was picked as an Oprah's Book Club selection, and shortly thereafter became the number one paperback non-fiction book on Amazon.com, and topped the New York Times Best Seller list for fifteen straight weeks..........some critics, such as Pat Conroy,[2] praised the book, calling it "the War and Peace of addiction," others were not as impressed by the gruesome nature of the book and Frey's overall attitude that sets the tone for the book. For example, critic Julian Keeling,[3] a recovering addict, stated that "Frey's stylistic tactics are irritating...none of this makes the reader feel well-disposed towards him." Wikipedia.org

I was not in the least irritated by the "stylistic tactics.":? The book could form the basis of a great movie imo, i wonder if anyone has this in mind. 8(

Spolier, if you are interested in the sound of the book i'd obviously advise not reading the spolier until afterwards as it is indeed one hell of a spoiler and will virtually certainly ruin the overall power of the book
NSFW:
The book was presented as autobiagriphical, but it was soon revealed that some of the passages were exagerated or invented, i felt so betrayed when i discovered this as the book had had me in floods of tears at several points. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Million_Little_Pieces

Have more to add when not on my phone, but cannot not point out that this was long ago outed as fiction posing as fact. Pretty frikkin despicable imo, but I won't argue the fact that whatever gets one through the night gets one through the night. Doesn't have to be objectively True to be subjectively true.. But lying about it to milk the $$$s is still a dick move.

I must say I loved 'A million little pieces' & devoured it greedily and even when I found out he'd fabricated much of it, don't remember feeling overly cheated as I still really enjoyed the book

A UK autobiography about addiction I read some time ago & was glued to, even though I didn't know the author, knew he'd moved in similar circles to me & it was interesting to read him mentioning people I knew, until about two-thirds through when I realised one of the main characters he was describing (with a different name) was someone I knew and reading what she'd gone through really upset me & took all the pleasure I'd had from reading the book and turned it into something that felt voyeuristic and wrong to be reading about her worst times, written by her ex & I just cried for the rest of the book

I love the memoirs of Augusten Burroughs, & he at least states in 'Dry' that whilst it is based on true events, there are some 'creative re-imaginings'

Tbh, there is no such thing as an 'honest' drug memoir imo.

Either it's recorded at the time and thus subject to being twatted whilst recording, or it's written latterly and thusly prone to false memories and book deals.

Deliberately lying without admitting to it at the time - as is the case here afaik - is still scumbaggery though imo.

Yeah for sure....
I have a diary I kept over a period of my life, originally started when I was hospitalised & unable to move much for a while, & managed to still write it intermittently for a few months afterwards, despite descending into addiction, recording whole conversations & mad incidents & funny things that happened despite it all, which I'd have no memory of at all if I hadn't written it down.
Despite writing it all exactly as it happened, unless you were there, you'd probably think I was making it up! (And it didn't even cover a year!)

Yeah, I did that too. I honestly couldn't swear to much of it that was written as written. Oddly enough, the stuff I "remember" feels much more true to me. Apart from the stuff I very deliberately did not ever write down.

I guess it depends massively on what one chooses to record - and how they choose to record it. I have no doubt that Billy Burroughs honestly believed much of what his diarist writings record... and I have even more doubt that much of it ever did outside of his mind. Objective, subjective, does any of that stuff really matter with this kinda thing? I honestly do wonder.

Objective, subjective, does any of that stuff really matter with this kinda thing? I honestly do wonder.

My grandmother, though starting to develop dementia/alzheimers now, has always interpreted reality in ways that are completely odds with everyone around her ('reality'). And she will argue aggressively if challenged over any of her cherished 'memories' of events. Her diary would seem real to anyone who wasn't there.

My grandmother, though starting to develop dementia/alzheimers now, has always interpreted reality in ways that are completely odds with everyone around her ('reality'). And she will argue aggressively if challenged over any of her cherished 'memories' of events. Her diary would seem real to anyone who wasn't there.

lol its funny you would say that because my gran was the same

Just about to release my autobiography: 'Fubared to fuckin buggery'.

It's a great read - especially for me cos I can't remember anything after 1980...

Well you know the more they prove that our memories are actually rewritten every single time we "remember" them means that there is no such thing as an autobiography--it's all "memoir" and that's fine with me. Anyone with siblings arguing over how, when, why and where something in childhood took place will have been humbled hopefully by the experience; the facts being remembered will have the same number of variations as siblings in any given family!=D

Fubar, would you sign a copy and send me one upon release? I once participated in trying to co-author your story, which was good fun, but I am too slow-witted and it got away from me. Your own telling should be much better!<3

I can tell you for absolute fact in at least my/our case (as the eldest of five (male, FWIW) siblings), that at no point have any of our memories ever come even close to coming close to each others memories, Herby.

Is there somewhere some study that suggests otherwise?!? Man would I - and others wiv siblings - dispute the absolute shit outta that shit.

Last edited:
@Shambles: It's really pretty unbelievable isn't it? One of the most momentous times in my life, when we moved to Africa when I was a kid, was just the subject of our latest sibling 3-way truth. (The actual events, however they occurred, took place almost 50 years ago, mind you).
My brother said, "We flew to New York, then we flew to London, then we went to Switzerland and then to Nigeria."

Me: We did not go to Switzerland. I never laid eyes on that country until I went to school there."

Brother: We did. I remember it.

Me: You were too little. You are just getting mixed up from old stories.

Older Sister: What would you know? You were on drugs.

Me: I was not on drugs!

Brother: Don't you remember Mom trying to read the newspaper in French?

Me: I was NOT on drugs!

Sister: We were there and you are wrong.

Me: How the hell would I not remember seeing a country like Switzerland?

Brother: Well how the hell could I make up a country like Switzerland if I've never been there?

Me:And just because I was the first kid in my family to discover the joys of getting high does not mean that every single one of my memories has to elicit the same old you-were-on-drugs line.

=D=D=D

At F.U.B.A.R.: Your autobiography of course!