Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Howard Stern

Stern would be crazy to go back to shitty FM radio. You can tell in his voice he is much more at ease on Sirius without GMs running in the room every second telling him what he can and can't do. Besides, going back to FM would take away from his exclusive relationship with Sirius, something I don't think they're willing to give up, having invested $500 million into him.

The show has never been better, well, minus the old ladies riding the sybian ( =D ) recently. Artie is definitely at his best, and even Sal and Richard have stepped it up a notch with their bits and pranks. With the exception of Mancow, I've listened to pretty much all of the big name DJs who are syndicated around the US (Opie & Anthony, Mike & Mad Dog, Ron & Fez, Rover, Corrolla, etc) and none of them are half as original as Stern. I listen to O&A every other Friday (when Stern is off) just for kicks, and even THEY are rip offs.

The giant footprints Howard has left behind in the FM world can never be filled. Long live the king of all media.

I've listened to pretty much all of the big name DJs who are syndicated around the US:

Opie & Anthony

Not funny (agreed on "rip-off" label).

Mike & Mad Dog

Not funny, and HORRENDOUS "logic" when analyzing many sports topics ; they make me embarassed to be a New Yorker sometimes.

Ron & Fez, Rover,

Never heard them.

Corrolla

I have no earthly idea what happened to him.

Was downright HILARIOUS for years on Loveline and after he teamed up with Kimmel (who's also wildly talented).

Perhaps Carrolla got fat and happy (one might argue to an extent that Attell suffered from this syndrome for a brief while; my trusted sources tell me that Attell is back to writing A--plus level jokes again, which makes me extremely happy.

"none of them are half as original as Stern."

Original does not necessarily equal "good" or "entertaining" or "funny."

Low-level pap (for the twenty-somethg'th time), in my opinion.

You want HIGH-LEVEL funny?

Watch or listen to Mitch Hedberg (God rest his soul), Dave Attell, Pat Dixon, Tom Simmons, Greg Giraldo, Louis CK, Sarah Silverman, Jeffrey Ross (particularly on roasts), Todd Barry, Jon Fisch, or a host of up and coming comics who DON'T rely on smoke and mirrors (i.e., hot chicks and making fun of others) to generate their laughs from INTELLIGENT audiences.

These top-notch comics actually write JOKES that actually have PUNCHLINES that even intelliegent audiences can't figure out until they get the performer actually gets to them.

To each their own, I suppose, but that's my more-than-two-cents.

Again.

I too mirror your opinion of Hedberg, Attell, Simmons, Silverman, and Giraldo (who was on Stern's show yesterday) but you're really comparing apples and oranges. Those are stand up comedians, and they are good at what they do - putting on stand up routines in front of live audiences. Howard is a radio god who is the best at what he does - radio shows. Howard has said many times, and just yesterday, that he hates public speaking so naturally he couldn't excel in a "stand up" format. It's not just Howard that makes the show so great, Artie Lange, Babba Booey and Robin all have a great impact, as well as Richard Christy & Sal Governale.

I've been a fan of talk radio since I was old enough to put on headphones. I can remember laying in bed listening to AM sports talk when I was 11 or 12, and admiring the broadcasters for their opinions and how well they could get it across. Rush Limbaugh is a GREAT radio man, he has an excellent radio presence and he's a great speaker, but I personally think he's a chode. (and this is where I think you are with regards to Stern.) You may not like him, but there's no denying his contributions to FM broadcasting and what he has done for all the other rip offs.

For 25 years he has been topping the charts all around the US, now it's his turn to take satellite to a new level. On a side note, Opie & Anthony do have one funny thing going for them, Jimmy Norton, who is pretty much a show regular now.

BlueAdonis said:

I too mirror your opinion of Hedberg, Attell, Simmons, Silverman, and Giraldo (who was on Stern's show yesterday) but you're really comparing apples and oranges. Those are stand up comedians, and they are good at what they do - putting on stand up routines in front of live audiences. Howard is a radio god who is the best at what he does - radio shows. Howard has said many times, and just yesterday, that he hates public speaking so naturally he couldn't excel in a "stand up" format. It's not just Howard that makes the show so great, Artie Lange, Babba Booey and Robin all have a great impact, as well as Richard Christy & Sal Governale.

I've been a fan of talk radio since I was old enough to put on headphones. I can remember laying in bed listening to AM sports talk when I was 11 or 12, and admiring the broadcasters for their opinions and how well they could get it across. Rush Limbaugh is a GREAT radio man, he has an excellent radio presence and he's a great speaker, but I personally think he's a chode. (and this is where I think you are with regards to Stern.) You may not like him, but there's no denying his contributions to FM broadcasting and what he has done for all the other rip offs.

For 25 years he has been topping the charts all around the US, now it's his turn to take satellite to a new level. On a side note, Opie & Anthony do have one funny thing going for them, Jimmy Norton, who is pretty much a show regular now.

I agree with basically everything you've said in your last post, including our apparent agreement that Jim Norton has a brilliant comic mind.

I'll admit to NOT having listened to/watched Stern much lately; my childhood best friend loved him when he debuted many moons ago on "Double you NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN BC" here in New York, and I've TRIED to listen to/watch/enjoy him dozens of different times since then, but I just can't get over the lowest common denominator stuff he consistently seems to pull.

I'm not saying he's not talented or important - it's obvious that the contrary is true.

I guess that as a comic, I intensely dislike seeing someone having a world of talent (like Stern) and instead of choosing to entertain the smartest (sorry for being Hitleresque with this comment, but it is what it is) segment of society and making hundreds of thousands per year, it seems TO ME as though Stern would rather entertain EVERYONE (including the morons who can't understand what makes Hedberg such a genius) and in the process makes billions.

Perhaps I'll give Stern yet another listen; if he's letting all of my favorite comics do their thing in his show, perhaps I'll enjoy it more than I have in the past.

Good convo, BA. :)

L O V E L I F E said:
I agree with basically everything you've said in your last post, including our apparent agreement that Jim Norton has a brilliant comic mind.

did I ever mention that I talked to him on the phone one night when I was tripping my nuts off?

:D that's a dumb question. I've mentioned it a buncha times and I know it. I just like to throw it out there for bragging rights whenever his name pops up.

^^awesome that you posted that; I've been laughing about it all week. I was sooooo hoping it would be that call when I clicked on it :D

BlueAdonis said:

One of my favorite prank calls from Jim "Touchtone terrorist" Florentine

OK - I haven't even clicked on Florentine link, but I have heard/seen Florentine numerous times on Crank Yankers and other places and I think he's great.

AND you're telling me that Stern regularly gives such comdics giants as (the late great) Hedberg, Attell, Simmons, et al siginificant time on his show nowadys.

Perhaps it would be appropriate for me to give Howard's show another chance.

Gimme my dollar back. :)

^^you absolutely should. I can't even begin to tell you how awesome the show is now that it's on Sirius. I don't see how you could listen and NOT be entertained.

vibr8tor said:

^^you absolutely should. I can't even begin to tell you how awesome the show is now that it's on Sirius. I don't see how you could listen and NOT be entertained.

If the funniest member of the fairer sex in the history of Bluelight tells LL that something is funny . . .

. . . LL should listen.

Stern has had Andrew Dice Clay on twice in the past month or so, too.

Just when you think he's a wash up, he surprises ya with a verbal jab to your cunt - OOH!

so who exactly posting in this thread, besides me and BA, actually has sirius and listens to stern? I've leafed through a couple of past pages, and I can't really tell...

vibr8tor said:
so who exactly posting in this thread, besides me and BA, actually has sirius and listens to stern? I've leafed through a couple of past pages, and I can't really tell...

for 8 years now

It's been reported over on SFN that Jeff the drunk's mom passed away today. :(

Artie can now put all the jokes how she has to eat cheese sandwiches to bed once and for all.

did anyone here the riley martin argument with Stern and Robin over money?

fucking CLASSIC SHIT

The Moulin Rouge theme song Riley martin song is fucking gold as well.

Dixie Chics sing 'Landslide' LIVE on Howard Stern May 24, 2006.

h**p://rapidshare.de/files/21812188/Dixie_Chics_-_Live_on_Howard_Stern.mp3.html

j22 said:
did anyone here the riley martin argument with Stern and Robin over money?

fucking CLASSIC SHIT

hehehe, hell yeah. what I wouldn't give to hear him and george takei in a conversation together. those voices in combo would be too fucking much. I can't believe they haven't done that yet.