Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Howard Stern

i think it is great that stern is trying t kill american idol.
all the power to him.

To compare Carson, Colbert, Conan and others to Howard Stern is comparing apples to oranges. Stern couldn't do a late-night show, in the same sense that Conan couldn't captivate audiences nationwide for 4.5 - 5 hours every morning. Late night shows and morning radio are two different animals.

Humor wise, I can rattle off a dozen funny things over the past 2 weeks that come to mind - but unless you listen to the show on a regular basis (or semi-regular at best) you wouldn't "get" it. So they WOULD sound dumb, stupid, etc.

Stern is far more talented than naked whores riding the sybian. Since coming to censor free satellite his show has reached new heights. It's not even about the swearing, it's about the level of content and not having to use kiddie words like "her you know" instead of being able to freely say the word pussy.

When you are a joke, and your radio show sucks, you get fazed out. David Lee Roth, Adam Corolla, Rover, etc all come to mind. You have to be funny and widely successful in radio to stay in radio, this is what I'm getting at.

I think a lot of people who don't like Stern fall back to their experiences of him when he was on FM radio. OF COURSE he's not going to be AS FUNNY on censor filled, commercial filled, crappy KROQ radio.

Would Katt Williams be as funny being muzzled and censored?
Would Chris Rock be as funny if he was so heavily censored?

All I can say is give him a chance, listen to the show, and listen to the freedom in the man's words. It's a different show over on Sirius.

BA said:
To compare Carson, Colbert, Conan and others to Howard Stern is comparing apples to oranges. Stern couldn't do a late-night show, in the same sense that Conan couldn't captivate audiences nationwide for 4.5 - 5 hours every morning.

Carson, Colbert, and Conan (and several others) could captivate intelligent audiences for as long as they were allowed to - do you realy think that Stern is the only comic "mind" who could "captivate" an audience for that long?

Late night shows and morning radio are two different animals.

Correct.

Generally speaking, morning radio shows are for the masses (McDonald's) and late night talk shows are for more intelligent audiences (A good steakhouse).

BA, I'm *IN* the industry (stand-up), and almost without exception, every top-notch stand-up whom I speak to ABHORS doing morning radio promotion because GENERALLY speaking, the DJ's are dumb and unfunny, and their audiences are even dumber and unfunnier.

I don't doubt that Stern might be the all-time best of this crop, but that's like being the best minor league baseball player ever.

Do you really think that Johnny Carson, at his peak, would agree to do show like Stern's?

Not for a trillion dollars, I would argue.

Because people like Carson, Colbert and Conan get a charge out of CREATING AND PERFORMING MATERIAL THAT SMARTER AUDIENCES UNDERSTAND AND APPRECIATE.

Do they love the fame and the money?

I'm sure they do/did - but to them, it was NOT the driving force as to why they went into comedy.

And in my opinion, Carson, Colbert and Conan are brilliant comic minds who capitaized financially off of their respective brilliance, while Stern is very good at making the masses laugh with low-brow humor and is also a fantastic businessman.

We could go on and on about this for hours, but I would bet my life that if you asked the people IN THE INDUSTRY who CREATE COMEDY for a living, many would say Carson was a brillliant comedy performer, many would say Colbert is a brilliant comedy performer and many would say Conan (and Hedberg and Sacha and Andy Kaufman and Attell) are brilliant comedy writers and performers.

But NO ONE in the industry would EVER describe Howard Stern as a "brilliant comedy writer and/or performer."

Would Katt Williams be as funny being muzzled and censored?

Katt Williams wouldn't be funny unless his brain was replaced .

Would Chris Rock be as funny if he was so heavily censored?

Not quite AS funny as he is when uncensored, I'll concede - but other comics would STILL recognize his comic brilliance EVEN IF HE WAS CENSORED.

Chris Rock writes brilliant jokes, many of which just happen to be dirty.

Stern, in my opinion, writes "jokes" that teenagers of below-average intelligence can understand, and while many intelligent people might very well like Stern too, the degree of difficulty simply isn't there.

We can agree to disagree about this for hours, and I don't mind going back and forth on this, but BA, in my opinion, CREATORS of COMEDY are better arbitors of what top-notch comedy is than is the general public.

Would you agree that there is a broad difference between "reality humor" (off the cuff, spontaneous, ad lib) and scripted humor (written jokes, scripted punch lines, bits, skits, etc)?

This is the apples and oranges I'm comparing. Both are equally entertaining to me, but I appreciate the spontaneous humor over the jokes that someone sat and wrote, then re-wrote, and re-worded to perfection. I've even heard Artie Lange (from the Stern show) talk about selling his material to other comics - that seems a little cheap and unoriginal to me.

For the record, I don't think Artie Lange's stand-up is very funny. It's much of the same stuff from the show. However, Jimmy Norton from the Opie & Anthony show is much better at stand-up than the radio, IMHO.

BA said:
Would you agree that there is a broad difference between "reality humor" (off the cuff, spontaneous, ad lib) and scripted humor (written jokes, scripted punch lines, bits, skits, etc)?

This is the apples and oranges I'm comparing. Both are equally entertaining to me, but I appreciate the spontaneous humor over the jokes that someone sat and wrote, then re-wrote, and re-worded to perfection. I've even heard Artie Lange (from the Stern show) talk about selling his material to other comics - that seems a little cheap and unoriginal to me.

For the record, I don't think Artie Lange's stand-up is very funny. It's much of the same stuff from the show. However, Jimmy Norton from the Opie & Anthony show is much better at stand-up than the radio, IMHO.

(1) Yes, I do.

Writing/editing/crafting jokes to "perfection," in my opinion, is a very different skill than is improv.

Some people (Attell and Carson spring to mind) are phenomenal at both.

(2) Personally, I enjoy and appreciate people who are brilliant at either (although I shall admit, I'm a Perfectly Written Joke On The Paper a la Mitch Hedberg / Woody Allen kind of guy).

With that said, I very much enjoy top-notch ad-libbig when I see it - the problem is that, in my opinion, the default setting should be "SHUT THE FUCK UP UNTIL YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY" instesad of what it usually is on morning radio:

"LET'S KEEP ONE-UPPING EACH OTHER NO MATTER HOW LOW-BROW THE CONVERSATION GETS!"

So, to me, the BEST perfromers are those, like Carson, who not only wrote brilliant material, and not only performed phenomenally (including top-notch ad-libbing) . . . . but what Johnny did that Howard and other (imo) less-good ad-libbers do is this:

He patiently WAITED for an opening to say something off-the-cuff funny - he didn't just spew out everything that came to his head (a la Robin Williams) and hoped that if 23 out of every 500 of his ad-libs were actually funny, that that was preferable to Carson's method of going 6 for 9.

And for the record, I think Norton's hilarious.

Interesting discussion.

I hereby nomainte a Comedy Forum.

BA said:
However, Jimmy Norton from the Opie & Anthony show is much better at stand-up than the radio, IMHO.

I just want to, um, take this opportunity to say that I talked to him on the phone one night when I was tripping on 2ct7. I like to brag about that whenever I get the chance :)

Nick Manning!

Ooohh yeeeahhrrr droppin fuckin loads all over this fuckin page.... yeargh....

5z3i8ap.gif

Someone's avatar over on SFN. LMAO

Uh oh, poor Artie. :( Howard was a total jackass today and Artie let him have it.

When Artie leaves in January, who should replace him? Dave Attel? Greg Fitzsimmons, Colin Quinn, or what about Jackie? ;) Jim Florentine? Bob Levy?

HowardTV screen caps from Miss Howard Stern's appearance the other day:

3300180607hs1.JPG

3193180607hs2.JPG

2768180607hs3.JPG

3031180607hs5.JPG

1584180607hs4.JPG

Tattooed and pierced, gross.

*BuMp!*

because the fight today between artie and sal was fucking priceless.

51nxQYVLCQL._SS500_.jpg

Has anyone read Artie's book yet? I found a good link the other day online and downloaded the entire audio book, and I'm about half way done and very impressed. It's been a lot better than I was expecting.

i found it to be a good read. entertaining but than again i am a pretty big stern show fan.

If anyone wants the link to the download of the audio book - shoot me a PM.

Howard Stern doesn't have any manners. From his speech alone you would think that he sexually impoverished. I don't like him. I listen to NPR and it is much more cultured and refined.

Man, I completely forgot about this thread. And I forgot there were some Stern fans around here.

By the way, I'm glad someone reported Eric to SSI :)

13_24840.jpg

"You are gay! And faggot! Hulk Hogan, Wrestlemania Madison Square Garden you are jabroni!!"

=D