• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids How to reduce thebaine in poppy tea?

EphemeralOutlet141

Bluelight Crew
So I got a batch of dried pods and I'm thinking they're high in thebaine after trying two cups. It might just be that I'm not using enough heat (I'm using a pour-over method with boiling water). The effects I'm getting are not entirely pleasant, it's mostly a kinda speedy feeling along with a heaviness in my head. Slight slight euphoria and sedation but not nearly how it feels all the other times I did it.

Could it be the quick method in which I'm making it? I'm guessing based on the effects that it's a lot of thebaine.

If thebaine or a similar alkaloid is outweighing the goods, I don't think there's much you can do..

Maybe evaporating it down to a smokeable gum will yield more pleasant results, or If you have lots of the poppies, there are ways to isolate morphine, but probably not worth it if you only have a few.

I've had that effect before, put the offending opium aside, returned a few weeks later and had better luck. Sometimes certain alkaloids might just fuck with you at certain times, like if you had too much caffeine, sugar - maybe too tired or too alert to properly enjoy it.

I dunno, drugs aren't always consistent. Especially plants.

If thebaine or a similar alkaloid is outweighing the goods, I don't think there's much you can do..

Maybe evaporating it down to a smokeable gum will yield more pleasant results, or If you have lots of the poppies, there are ways to isolate morphine, but probably not worth it if you only have a few.

I've had that effect before, put the offending opium aside, returned a few weeks later and had better luck. Sometimes certain alkaloids might just fuck with you at certain times, like if you had too much caffeine, sugar - maybe too tired or too alert to properly enjoy it.

I dunno, drugs aren't always consistent. Especially plants.

Interesting you say this cuz I too had a similar experience with what I suspected was a high thebaine extract. One experience was unpleasant for the first hour with all the signs of Thebaine, didn’t touch it again for a couple months, and when I tried it again it wasn’t nearly as anxiety/dysphoric producing. I wasn’t sure what to make of it.

-GC

Seems a bit complicated unless you were to isolate the morphine.
If you had access to chloroform you could do a pre-wash to get rid of some of the thebaine, protonated morphine is pretty much insoluble in chloroform as opposed to protonated thebaine which is soluble, so you'll want to do this in acidic conditions. Chloroform is not extremely toxic but I still wouldn't recommend drinking it, you would have to let it evaporate off your poppy powder.
I've never done this, it may not work very well in practice, it's just an idea.

Another option could be to use less water since thebaine is slightly less water soluble than morphine. By doing this you would also extract less morphine so it might not be ideal.

Last edited:
I don't believe you can unfortunately without removing some vital ingredients you also want in the tea.

Thebaine is buzzy. I don't like it in seed tea but it is indeed what oxycodone is made out of so they must find a way to tone it down or something. If you do find a successful way to remove the thebaine without any negative consequences please post (as I don't think anyone has yet).

I appreciate all the replies everyone. I'm trying another batch right now using simmering instead of what I attempted before, so maybe I'll collect more of the good alkaloids instead of just some unpleasant obscure ones by just a washing of the material. If it doesn't work out any better I'm gonna reassess and probably prepare some of the specifics here. I would like to try to evaporate it as I've wondered about that for a very long time.

Once again thanks everyone for your replies they're very specific and enlightening, please keep them coming. I'll update with my progress on this next attempt.

Use colder water.

Cold water preferentially extracts morphine and codeine over thebaine. Hot water will extract all the alkaloids. The only issue with cold water is that you will also yield less morphine and codeine because hot water is the most efficient.

See this is something I've wondered too. I always thought hot or boiling water was the only way that would work. I suppose if you powdered it like I do and agitate it as if it was seeds it wouldn't be much different though.

Ive actually always used hot water for pods. But cold water can work from what ive heard.

I used to make my pod tea in one of these, where the ground pods go into the funnel, water goes into the bottom, and its put on a stove. The water boils and pressurized steam goes through the grounds, extracting everything. Not suitable for high thebaine content pods.

That said I have used cold water on seeds and it works well. It is definitely cleaner feeling when cold water is used. That said, washing seeds with hot water usually is stronger, but definitely dirtier feeling if there is a fair amount of thebaine (usually sensed in the form of anxiety and stimulant).

Btw where is the overdose threshold for this stuff lol?

It has so many alkloids I'm never sure if I'm crossing the line and the effects take FOREVER to peak. I don't have heroin tolerance... I'm afraid of getting whooped by a ridiculous batch.

Ive actually always used hot water for pods. But cold water can work from what ive heard.

I used to make my pod tea in one of these, where the ground pods go into the funnel, water goes into the bottom, and its put on a stove. The water boils and pressurized steam goes through the grounds, extracting everything. Not suitable for high thebaine content pods.

That said I have used cold water on seeds and it works well. It is definitely cleaner feeling when cold water is used. That said, washing seeds with hot water usually is stronger, but definitely dirtier feeling if there is a fair amount of thebaine (usually sensed in the form of anxiety and stimulant).

I was actually looking at one of those but I went with a cheap pour-over cup and funnel type thing. What I did this time is add boiling water to the grounds in one thermos type cup, let it sit sealed up for about 40 minutes, then filtered it through the pour-over cup. I have a darker colored liquid this time and I'm gonna give it a try after dinner. Will report back.

Btw where is the overdose threshold for this stuff lol?

It has so many alkloids I'm never sure if I'm crossing the line and the effects take FOREVER to peak. I don't have heroin tolerance... I'm afraid of getting whooped by a ridiculous batch.

I've always used it with a high tolerance so I wouldn't really be able to say. I usually go with 6-8 pods though. Valid concern though the stuff is unpredictable. Theres something like 10 known alkaloids involved including the Big 3 of codeine, morphine and thebaine. Different species of poppy plant having different concentrations (the high thebaine being the one grown by pharma companies for oxy and such).

I've always really liked the broad alkaloid content though except for this occasion. Some were found to be muscle relaxers and possible NMDA antagonists and fun stuff like that.

In 3 years of taking poppy seed tea I had the the thebaine only happen 3times.out of about 400+ different bottles of seeds only 3 were thebainey.
I'd recommend trying to isolate only the morphine with ammonia (make concentrated hot tea, filter,reduce,add 30%aquaeous ammonia and filter off morphine freebase (hopefully).other than that just forget it.thebaine is not enjoyable and is only useful in amounts big enough to make into something like oxy.

In 3 years of taking poppy seed tea I had the the thebaine only happen 3times.out of about 400+ different bottles of seeds only 3 were thebainey.
I'd recommend trying to isolate only the morphine with ammonia (make concentrated hot tea, filter,reduce,add 30%aquaeous ammonia and filter off morphine freebase (hopefully).other than that just forget it.thebaine is not enjoyable and is only useful in amounts big enough to make into something like oxy.

Yeah this was so odd to me, I've used seeds and pods literally hundreds of times as well and this my first experience where I did not enjoy it at all. Like I said though this was also the time I tried to make it a different way, so I don't want to just chock it up to one thing

You're supposed to cold water wash poppy seeds to make poppy seed tea... maybe the heat is extracting more thebaine from the seeds/pods? Heat + Opiates ='s destruction of the opiate... so maybe you're destroying what you want out of the pods and just getting a cup full of the leftovers? I used poppy seed tea for three years straight chipping, never had a thebaine problem.

Don't know why anyone would be heating an opiate...?

You're supposed to cold water wash poppy seeds to make poppy seed tea... maybe the heat is extracting more thebaine from the seeds/pods? Heat + Opiates ='s destruction of the opiate... so maybe you're destroying what you want out of the pods and just getting a cup full of the leftovers? I used poppy seed tea for three years straight chipping, never had a thebaine problem.

Don't know why anyone would be heating an opiate...?

Opiates aren’t as heat sensitive as some would like to believe. I know for a fact morphine and likely codeine can survive up to 160C for at least a couple of hours. Your not getting anywhere near these temps with boiling water.

DevilsGospel. What effects did you have that made you think Thebaine?

Also Oxycodone can be made from codeine as well.

-GC

Opiates aren’t as heat sensitive as some would like to believe. I know for a fact morphine and likely codeine can survive up to 160C for at least a couple of hours. Your not getting anywhere near these temps with boiling water.

DevilsGospel. What effects did you have that made you think Thebaine?

-GC

Kinda dysphoric, weirdly speedy, felt tense and I had this weird heaviness that was not the pleasant kind. Overall just a shitty feeling.

So I'm drinking my latest batch and it is a little better, but still not entirely what I was hoping for. It's still kinda early in so I'll wait and see if it gets any better. Not nearly as shitty as before though.

How long u "brew" it for?

Cold water wash in a 2 litre for no more than couple mins and I'd have tea that'd keep me loaded for day and a half... and I'm far from opiate naive.

You might want to consider changing your methods.

This is the first and only time I've ever heard of someone actually heating and brewing pods/seeds... and I did it for years.