• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

HOW TO QUIT SMOKING ~ Mega Thread

Sorry. I will clarify.

Corporate cigarette is a term I use to describe 95%+ the cigarettes smoked by Americans. They are made by the great people of Philip Morris and other dirty corporations that have put chemical cocktails in their tobacco to make them excessively addictive... I mean give them "Flavor".

I remember a friend was quite hooked on a brand of Camels unfiltered. He couldn't quit, even when picking up Natural American Spirit (pure tobacco). It seems there was something that the Camel had that normal tobacco didn't, even if it was aesthetics.

Anywho, you can look here to see what Philip Morris puts in their products. Oh, and about the blacklight.. just take a parlaiment or any cig that's made by a big brand like that (Marlboros are a favorite) and look for yourself.

Oh yeah I didn't mean to offend any Canadians. It seems as though your companies clearly label what they put in their products.

No offense taken. Canadian cigs are just as filthy. The blatant message that smoking will kill you and the beautifully illustrated photos of diseased lungs, teeth, and brains on the pack don't stop us from lighting up.

Considering I've given up smoking and don't have a blacklight can you just tell me what happens? Does some message like "we are going to kill you" appear?

It's like an x-ray. You see the "tobacco" as it shows up rather dark, and then you see white crystals lacing all around it. It's creepy, which is why I suggested looking into it. Also, there are holes in the filter all along the circumferance about halfway up, which give some brands fresh air to keep tar level tests down. I think they give the star pattern in the filter after smoking it, too.

Look into yourself..

hmmm... about the acupuncture ear thing... I read in a magazine that when you get the urge to smoke, you should massage the tip of your ear, starting from the top part where your ear joins your head, all the way aroung and down to the earlobe. Supposedly there's some kind of pressure point related to smoking along there somewhere. I don't know if it works but it can't hurt to try, it's free!

1/2 a pack a day is being a light smoker? I must be a really really light smoker then... I smoke not more than three a day (apart from social occasions with other smokers). I'm also thinking of quitting sometime soon though. not yet. But soon (meaning anything from one month to 50 years). :\

Successfully quit smoking

Tonight as I watched my brother sucking down a cigarette, I thought to myself, 'wow, what the hell is the point of smoking and why did i ever take up the habbit'. I have not had a cigarette in 5 months, 5 days, 11 hours & 8 minutes. I've saved $1173.48 AUD and havent smoked 3129 bloody cigarettes. I actually have no intention on ever having a cigarette and I must say it really wasn't that hard.

I was a pack a day+ smoker for over 2 years and was very addicted. I could hardly go an hour without a cigarette at my addiction's peak. My reasons for quitting were not really that strong, I was just sick of wasting my money on a pointless habbit. To all those out there trying to quit, I'd just like you to know that if you really are dedicated to quitting, it will happen.

I know this is a bit lame, but I just thought i'd post a thread to give some encouragement to those trying to quit the fags. Please don't flame me. I know everyone works differently and for some its harder. I'm not saying it is easy, but I believe it is definately a lot more possible than the majority of smokers out there believe.

congrats :D you really do get to a point where you're mostly like 'god that's gross...how did i ever do that?'

congrats on the quitting :D

carnage - I think some people are like you and others are not. It probably has a lot to do with pre-existing brain chemistry and environmental pressures..
A lot of people get sick for days if not weeks and think about smoking 24/7 when they quit. Shit, they have whole support groups for quitting smoking.

Its great to hear you had no problem quitting; congratulations :)
But for the the rest of people out there, it is possible but a little more difficult.

I'm still working on it--on phase 2 of the patch now. So far so good. Cheating now and then with one or two cigs, butthose are few and far between.

I quit smoking ciggarettes, but unfortunately got a new habit of smoking prime times (lil flavored cigars) when I drink. I dont smoke nearly as many as ciggs I used to smoke though..and they taste much better. I dunno they are still gross, but for some reason now I cant even stomach one drag off a cigarette.

Yeah. When i quit, I did the usual pact with my smoking friends. I was the only one who lasted. This was mainly through my disgust with my friends efforts and it was kind of like my little 'Fuck you, you are soft' to them. Dwfan, that is really good to hear. You are doing well. I went cold turkey when I quit as when i tried the patch I found it did nothing for the mental addiction. Don't worry too much about those minor slip ups. If you really wanna quit, you will.

congradulations dude, im at about 15 day with not more than 1 ciggerette a day since then, i know its not fully quitting but still im getting there, i dont know how people quit, i only smoked for 3 years but i see people that smoked for 40 years just quit at the snap of a finger i think its great people are starting to realise what ciggerettes are doing to their body's, i just wish my friends would listen to me.

congrats! i tried a new cig last week that is 100% natural, but packed really tight. basically like a tiny cigar. man those things cut me back so much, i went from a pack a day to 2-3 cigs a day basically as soon as i smoked one. unfortunatley i cannot get them where i live and they cost 6 bucks a pack, as compared to 2.75

Jimmy the Gun said:
A lot of people get sick for days if not weeks and think about smoking 24/7 when they quit. Shit, they have whole support groups for quitting smoking.
I'm one of those people who can't 'just quit'. It's been 23 days for me and I'm still sooo tempted to smoke a cig. I only started smoking about a year and a half. I've tried to quit before, but the longest I've gotten is a month before I gave in. My friend's mother quit 30+ years ago and still has urges whenever she sees someone smoking a cig..so yeah, some people are just predisposed to that kind of addiction i guess

for me this is so true...."Giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world. I know because I've done it thousands of times." Mark Twain

Nice carnage! I was in the same boat as you smoking at least a pack a day. Then easter came and all of a sudden I quit. It's been over 2 months since I've been smoking. You know if feels much better.

well.. tell us how u did it!!!!!! come on come on. this mucus in my throat 24/7 is getting REALLY GROSE!

It's been about 3 months since I had a cigarette, stopped cold after reading this book:

1402718616.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Best $15 I ever spent.

~psychoblast~