• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

HOW TO QUIT SMOKING ~ Mega Thread

Think of my mother.
She is 56 years old, smokes 2 packs a day (24 cigs).
After about 40 years smoking that non stop, she coughs every 10 minutes.
Sometimes she wakes because of it beeing so bad.
She has asthma. You don't wanna end up like that.
You are young still right? Do you wanna fuck up your life for such a lowly drug as nicotine? I think not...

^^^my grandma died of emphazema (sp?) and I saw the horrible things smoking does to a person firsthand (i.e. the lack of walking she could do, how old she looked when she was only about 60, how she looked in the hospital with various tubes down her throat during her last days)...And everyone always wonders why I never started 8)

well i guess u have to find a method that suits u coz what i did worked for me.
i hope u will succeed. it saves ur health and money ;)

smoking

Some people at my work have been raving about this technique they've been doing to help you quit smoking.

they do some sort of acupuncture or audio-laser something or other in or on your ear, and it's supposed to be highly effective.

and only $50.

They say it completely removes the urge to smoke...and if a craving arises, they'll do it again for free... so long as you don't smoke. (And they can tell that too.)

Has anyone tried this? Anyone have any info?

I'm a very very light smoker...maybe 1/2 pack per day; but I really really wanna quit for good.

SI

I have heard something about this but Im not sure what its called. I know acupuncture can be really effective in quitting smoking because they rebalance all your energy channels that the smoking has put out of balance. I think approaches like this are much better than stuff like chewing the gum or the patch that only keep the toxins in your body. If its only 50 bucks I say go for us and let us know a little bit about the procedure afterwards. :)

Ho ho ho - "only" $50... There is no sure fire 'cure' for habitual behaviour - any habitual behaviour. You can massage your ear lobe yourself for free - it might help, you never know. But I don't think there's any need to part with your hard-earned for it.

There are many methods for quitting smoking - look around for the free info on it, 'cos I think anyone charging money for it is ripping you off. I found the 4Ds approach quite useful (when you get the urge to smoke: Delay, Deep breath, Drink water, Do something else) - but then again I still smoke occasionally so what would I know ;) (but less than 1 a day so I'm quite happy with that)

I've tried quitting smoking numerous times. probably about 20 and they never lasted. I guess the acupuncture could work in a way that its pschosymatic and makes you think you don't have the urge but i'm sure it would be the same as cold turkey. If you want to quit you want to.. For me the withdrawels are too much,so I've been using the patch. Even with that there are the mental cravings. The patch seems very ideal unless you think you can handle the harcore cravings for three days.. after that its in your head. I'm 7 days smoke free and havn't been feening like normal.. I've even went some of the day without it and don't crave it too much but still don't trust myself yet. Nicotine cravings send me into a frenzy of just needing it to concentrate. I say the patch or cold turkey. I have a feeling i will win this time.. Smoking is the stupidest thing ever invented

I quit for about 2 years awhile back... and my method was a bit unorthodox.

First of all, if you realize that a cigarette craving only lasts 3 minutes...just try and hold off and eventually you just forget about it.

And second, I'd make it compulsive that whenever a cigarette came into my hands, i'd just break it. Don't think about it, don't hesitate, just do it. This accomplishes 2 things:

1 you can't smoke the cigarette
2 people stop bumming them to you.

unfortunately i thought i'd be okay smoking one here and there after awhile...and here i am again...smokin'

SI

Someone I knew lay anti-smoking pamphlets around his house. Whenever he had the urge to smoke, he'd pick one up and read it, and the craving would go away.

Last edited:
Running out of Nicotine

I am on my last pack of Canadian cigs. I usually go home enough from the states to stock up at the Duty Free but my next trip isn't 'til July.

I have decided that I am going to quit. I don't like the american brands I have tried and I am not interested in a sampler platter to figure out what I can tolerate. As a smoker for 15 years, I have yet to deviate from my killer of choice.

I am nervous (my boyfriend is supportive but fears the crazy quitting may bring out) but I think this will be a good thing. I know it can only be good.

Oh dear, what will I do? I can do this. I will do this.

Is anyone going to Canada so I can get you to buy some smokes? Seriously...I smoke Craven Menthol =D

Shit. This should be in the "I'm quitting" thread.

my sister had good results using chelated magnesium for cigarette withdrawal. tried acupuncture, hypnosis, patches, nothing worked but now she is a non smoker.

Just remember this about corporate cigs: You're not just physically addicting yourself to the nicotine, but also all that rubbish contained within (up to 10% of chemicals from chamomile extract to cyanide). It's also a behavioral thing.

StagnantReaction said:
Just remember this about corporate cigs: You're not just physically addicting yourself to the nicotine, but also all that rubbish contained within (up to 10% of chemicals from chamomile extract to cyanide). It's also a behavioral thing.

Do care to quote a reference that cites that nicotine, cyanide and chamomile extract are physically addictive?

^^and what is a "corporate cigarette"?? Is it one that sits in an office all day hiring and firing and being an arsehole? And what the hell do you find putting it under a blacklight??

Is a corporate cig one that is pre-rolled and packaged vs. buying the tobacco and hand rolling it?
img10145ca.jpg

Yeah, why the blacklight? My package clearly states the toxins I am putting into my body.

Last edited:
My reply sucks considering I just bought my first sober packet of cigs yesterday in 6 years.

You can quit smoking.

Every day, you walk out there, throw whatever pack of ciggies you have in the rubbish, and you don't buy another.

After a week, it gets easier.

Witness me. ANY moment of weakness. Even 6 years on. Will send you down the same path.

My point????

EVERY DAY. You must say no.

Just say no.