• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

How strong is kratom compared to hydro/oxy...

I have tried Kratom a few times. I have a 50mg to 90mg tolerance to hydrocodone. I have tried the 10x, 15x and the kratom leaves you had to make tea out of. I never really felt much from the 10x or 15xs but I did notice an effect from making a tea and boiling off most of the water and adding the rest to a drink. It was not as powerful as hydrocodone but I did feel a bit more relaxed and a little warm not to euphoric. I would bet with a low tolerance to opiatesone could actually enjoy what kratom has to offer, but if your used to 100+mg of Hydrocodone, Oxycodone, and/or doses of morphine, methadone, herion kratom will have little effect on said user.

I would say if I had zero tolerance to opiates and i tried the tea and boiled it and let it dry down I would get a nice effect from it.

StartedHydro: I would say that you are dead on with the dosage levels. I would agree that kratom becomes pointless around the 80 - 100mg mark of the 'codones. After that you would have to dose an extremely large amount of kratom. Of course, the side effects would prevent any "fun."

BTW the extracts are useless. If you are going to use kratom just get the whole leaf commercial variety from a reputable company with a high product turnover rate. Thats as good as kratom is going to get :\

blase deviant said:
...could anyone with experience compare dosages of kratom (please specify which type, i.e. powder, standardized/high quality leaf, resin, whatever) to hydro/oxy for me?
It isn't an opiate, it just has some opiate agonist properties (among others).

IMO it is quite strong in terms of overall physical/mental effects, which (aside from the opiate-like) typically include stimulation, mood lift, temporary appetite increase and heightened confidence / sociability. It is mildly psychoactive and causes perceived increases in visual clarity (my brother once said "it makes everything look like a DVD"). In my opinion, it has some effect on serotonin and is mildly empathogenic.

If it came in different/more convenient dosage forms and was sold differently, it would probably attract a devoted street following. Instead of comparing it to opiates, try appreciating it for what it is and you'd probably end up enjoying it a lot more.

Last edited:
theWorldWithin said:
Honestly blase I think the three day rule is treading on thin ice. Sure you may not fall into physical addiction but how long can you take two days off before you crack and become mentally addicted? All it takes is a shitty time in life to drive most otherwise responsible users to a pattern of overuse. This is even more dangerous with methadone because of the long half life. I would never even consider doing it more than once a week with no other opiate use if you wish to stay non-dependent. Then again that is just my personal opinion on the matter and not a definite time frame answer.

I agree. I get a kick out of people saying they keep their opiate intake under control by waiting a few days in between the day that they take the drug. I bet a few months earlier they were waiting over a week.

eventually - if you like opiates and have a reliable source - you will go to every other day, then every day, then a few times a day.

methadone scares the crap out of me - i don't see the appeal of it. I do like opiate though.

me = 40mg or so a day of hydrocodone. if I had oxy... who knows..

Kratom - I think the 15x 20x crap is worthless. I think the Red Thai powdered stuff is pretty cool. I take about 2 1/2 teaspoons of it. I get the energy feeling and a buzz very very similar to opiates when I had no tolerance. Also a mood elevation is there as well. I don't get that "warm, sticky" feeling though like when I first started taking hydro, which really caused me to fall in love with it.

The Kratom is a good substitute when opiates are not available, or when I don't want to take any opiates and want to avoid withdrawls.

Kratom for me kills any physical desire to take more opiates and if I do take them they are inneffective. Kratom lasts about 4-5 hours or so sometimes.

I have never used it on a daily basis, so I don't know about getting addicted to kratom.

Kratom is GREAT

1) Buy the commercial quality of crushed leaves by the ounce (or more.)

2) I weight out 6g (w/o tollerance) up to 14g, and throw it in a pot with a small amount of water. The more water you add, the more bitter tea you have to chug.

3) Once it reaches a small boil, keep it at this temperature and start your timer for 20min.

4) I stir and PRESS the boiling leaves against the edges of the water to extract it more, and then give it a nice stir again.

5) Strain (I use a 74/74 micro-meter tea infuser with a handle.)

6) I put honey in a mug, pour the strained liquid and mushy kratom in, and press down on the kratom again to extract liquid. I stir it when it's hot to dissolve the honey.

7) Add ice (I find it's a better iced herbal beverage.) and stir and chug.

Will compare to high doses of vicodin with mental and physical stimulation (I gave you MY subjective range of grams.) It feels like a mix of vicodin and mdma to me. I feel this warm "love" and appreciation for everyone. I find myself hugging my girlfriend like a magnet, touching her and telling her how beautiful she is. I'll pick up one of my cat's and their eyes seem mystifying and I connect with their feline inner self.

It's a wonderful tree, in my opinion.

:)

Codeine IS utter crap, all it does is make me itchy, maybe kills some mild pain and I get no euphoria or relaxation from it.

Damn, I took 4g of the 10x extract (supposedly 'strong effects'), and it's not worth the cost. Maybe if it cost 1/2-1/3 the cost. Or else it's my damn Abilify blocking some of the effects.

shit i take 10mg methadone and i'm tight for almost all day till bedtime when i redose with 5mg
i also have a dependancy to opiates
about 80mg oxy a day to feel good
but i can go with around 30mg oxy in a day just to feel sumwhat normal
btw i weigh 145pounds

^ The extracts generally just aren't as strong as advertised. I agree that commercial grade leaf is the way to go. It is the most economical way to do kratom.

Agreed! ^

As long as you have a digi- scale, you can enjoy kratom nicely.

extracts are garbage. 15x with no better results than the same amount of anything else.

Red Thai de-veined is the way to go. 2-3 teaspoons.

^ I too, have found the red-veined whole (or crushed commercial grade) leaf kratom leaves to be the best method (tea.)

I used crushed leaf 2 nights ago to make tea from it for the first time. (I usually just use powdered kratom Toss n wash method). And I used about 50 grams for 2 people and WHOA i felt really good but couldn't fall asleep until like 7 am :( that was the only thing that sucked

Yeah, that's the stimulant part of it all. I think the highest dose I took was when I had 4oz and I weighed out 24g of commercial, made the tea, and was in pure bliss. Mitragynine has delta opiate activation, and at my dose must have been enough to activate mu-opiate receptor activity.

yah i dunno if it was 50g exactly I had a bag of 100g's and just used about half of it, for my brother and myself.

MrCream said:
yah i dunno if it was 50g exactly I had a bag of 100g's and just used about half of it, for my brother and myself.

How much does Rec Thai 100g bag usually sell for and how long does it last?