• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

How open are you on the internet?

i am fairly open on BL. i don't post as much as i used to and more selective about threads i reply to, i am not sure if that makes me less open. i do make sure that my name doesn't appear on the site tho.

my facebook page is filled with random articles and things that i find amusing. i keep my family and coworkers blocked from status updates and most things i post. i tend to bitch a fair bit about work and really don't need my boss to see that.

I don't frequent nor post the drug forums as much anymore.
I rarely call someone by their first name here.
Being selective is smart, animal cookie.

I do think about what I post on facebook now the friends list is expanding into co-workers and family. My mom has asked me to remove photos and she was right.

^i would not want to explain my twisted sense of humor to my coworkers or family. they all think i am strange enough without me posting pictures of the human santapede.

i'll talk about drug use and whatnot on twitter. i have my tweets locked and the couple dozen people i follow are BLers or good friends.

I think the key to keeping an internet low profile is to stay off of facebook...

Yes. My partner and I deleted our facebooks awhile back and we feel a lot better about being on the internet. I can't even fully pinpoint what it is about facebook, obviously everything you put on there is voluntary, and I suppose you can even use a fake name if you want *one of the things I didn't like was how people could find me just by searching my name as I have a pretty unique name* but eh... I don't know. I've tried it multiple times and it just does not work for me.

As far as bluelight. I am semi open on here, in part because when I was younger I was REALLY open on here and a lot of it is archived and I can't really take it back now. If I had it to do over I would share significantly less details about some of the things that went on in my life. It's all... recorded here now. A lot of real life people know me on here so I figure at this point, what the hell, I'm going to be me. But I keep a lot of graphic details to myself now. Even if they are archived somewhere... it just isn't who I am anymore to share every detail of my sex life, my spirituality, etc.

If someone took the time to come on BL and stalk all of my posts I would be flattered. Like GM said, I have nothing to hide.

i am fairly open on BL. i don't post as much as i used to and more selective about threads i reply to, i am not sure if that makes me less open. i do make sure that my name doesn't appear on the site tho.

my facebook page is filled with random articles and things that i find amusing. i keep my family and coworkers blocked from status updates and most things i post. i tend to bitch a fair bit about work and really don't need my boss to see that.

There are a couple of people I have noticed who use peoples' real names on here - it really pisses me off when my name has been used (as, like deja, i have a quite a unique name), and i've PM'd a mod or the person immediately to ask them to edit their posts.

As for how much information I give out on here - i don't post details about my sex life, or any specific details about my life in general. I post about perhaps 30% of what is actually going on in my life? There are things i'd like to post about, and there are times when i'm frustrated (especially when i read certain posts in SLR that i really feel i could add value to), but there are reasons why I choose not to; so while it's annoying, i know it's for the best not to post certain things.

I'm far too open on here for my liking :p must create a new account with a different username. On the internet in general though, not open at all, just like real life :)

I'm ready to break the ice with some person via internet if I feel it's alright. But I never reveal everything about myself. It all depends on the place and conversationalist(s). I act the same way in real life. The fact that you see someone doesn't mean he or she can be more trusted than some person in the internet. Generally, I'm sure I keep a lot more than 50% of myself in secret, be it in the internet or in real life. It's just the way I am. If there is someone interested in me and I am interested in some more intimate relationship, then that person gets to know me more. I'm rather an introverted type of person but at the same time I'm keen on meeting new people and socializing. Anyway, I do observe a lot.

I'm as open here as I am in real life: Completely. I have nothing to hide.
That just about sums up my position as well. I am a bit more congenital on BL than elsewhere because I have had lasting frienships with many people here, and I share things like details of my sex-life which I usually don't share elsewhere (on the net or with strangers IRL). But I still do not post sensitive info on BL.

That said, in terms of what little sensitive information I do have, my philosophy is to act on the internet the same way you act on the street. Would you give your phone number to a random person you'd never met before? Would you hang your nude photos in a mall? Share your bank info with perfect strangers? Also (this is especially re: facebook), do you engage in paparazzi and soap operas of people you barely know? The internet should be no different, IMO. My facebook page is minimalist, my tagged pics/vids are hidden, and I tend not to blabber too much.

So far with this attitude I have never felt that my privacy was invaded by anyone, thankfully.

I'm more open on BL than IRL. And I don't give a fuck. My parents know everything I've ever done in my life, and if I lose out on a job because some dipshit didn't like what I wrote on a forum then that's their loss. I feel like I can be more open on a message board like this because there are more people here than anywhere else that can empathize with the type of shit I've been experiencing lately in my life.

I don't have a facebook and that worthless excuse for a social network is far more of a cancerous privacy-raping window into peoples lives than a semi-anonymous forum like this ever could be.

i am very open on an anonymous site such as this. it is a bit intrinsic considering what this site is. there will only be a small portion of posters on here who speak as freely in their daily life, and still maintain a professional job, family life, and respect in their community.

i can say what i want or what i think, i am not looking for friends, (though if they come that is not unwelcomed) i am just simply saying what i think and being myself. it is a nice change from the usual tendency and necessity to restrain certain thoughts that want to be spewn from my dirty mouth and therefore offend and/or alienate people i need to associate with on a daily basis.

facebook is different...that is family and friends, a communication tool to reach out to new, established, and old friends....the latter being key. i have reconnected with a few people i wouldn't have found without it. when found, there were tears, and i am grateful for such a tool. it isn't bluelight or anonymous at all, so i treat it as i would mixed company. i certainly don't drop the f bombs i love so much in my usual vernacular. nor do i rave on and on about the glories of MDMA and other various substances i find enlightening. that isn't to say i won't comment on it if the topic comes up...most especially if the subject is with regards to the legality and danger of certain substances.

so in the end, we treat the internet with common sense, if we have any of it at all.

I haven't been around long but I'm gonna be completely open here, why wouldn't you be? Surely the whole point of places like these is to use the veil of anonymity to share things without worrying about possible consequent humiliations etc?

If you're afraid to share fully because you think you're too weird or crazy, bear in mind there's always someone crazier (unless you're that one craziest person - orangutangpsychopa anyone?). And even if you end up coming across as a crazed idiot, you're generally only providing comedy value or giving other people the confidence to do the same. Plus crazed idiots make this forum the unique place it is.

Open up people!

Well a quick email address search can destroy that veil if you hadn't thought about it when you signed up, I think that's the issue for a lot of people. For me it's my username, but I don't think too many people I know are aware of it.

Really bluelight is where i share a lot of stuff and yah someone could figure out who i really am but so far so good and its pretty therapeutic for me to share alot of stuff i have posted on here

I've gone from being incredibly open in cyberspace, to nearly anon.
I don't share anything personal anymore. Not on public forums anyways. If people want to know things about me they can PM me. And if I'm comfortable enough, I'll share with them and try to get them to share with me.

I'm usually pretty open about raging on thread necromancers but since I didn't post in this thread two years ago I guess it's fine :p

Well, I've been connected [to the net] in some form or another for a ridiculously long time now and have seen it evolve a fair bit since the early 90s. The car club which I'm a part of has active forums, and on the flipside the comp-related forum i'm part of has developed enough local interest to hold live meets. The IP crunch caused by people networking everything from cell phones to fucking espresso machines has made it very clear that we are connected to the internet by so many threads that building a profile of a real person is very possible and very easy.

Going off on an S&T tangent (this is for people who use open WiFi hotspots a lot), anyone with a small suite of networking tools, laptop and five minutes can easily jack your session and see what it is you're doing online just by seeing you use your smartphone at a coffeeshop and giving in to curiosity.

It's pretty scary to see shit that's happening in the Middle East, where people are being persecuted for information they share over the net, and even at home in America where incomprehensible gibberish known as copyright lawsuits are brought against private individuals because someone is seeing at least part of what they are doing online. Twitter actually just released a "transparency report" detailing how often the government requests user account information and the U.S. leads the pack by a wide margin. Obviously, if the government finds it a priority to know what ordinary people are doing online, there may be a damn good reason to disassociate your virtual identity from your real one.

So yeah, I'm not very open. Or at least, sure I'm open in the sense that I speak my mind but closed off in the sense that I have a number of different email addresses, internet connections and associated identities for the different things I do online.

This reminds me of a Seinfeld episode where George explains his two personalities:

GEORGE:I have Relationship George, but there is also Independent George. That’s the
George you know, the George you grew up with — Movie George, Coffeeshop George, Liar George, Bawdy George.

JERRY: I love that George.

GEORGE: Me too! And he’s dying, Jerry! If Relationship George walks through this
door, he will kill Independent George!

Long story short, if you are doing things online that you wouldn't want your employer finding out about, don't be too open ;)

I'm not nearly as open on the internet as I use to be. I guess I've become more of a private person... partially because of my career choice and partially just a change of my personality. If you look back at my earlier posts I'm a completely different person... not that it's a bad thing to change from 16 to 25. :) I don't often post anything in here or on facebook about my private life and I can't remember the last time I tweeted.