• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe How long have you been on opiods including bupe?

You are not the only person who I met that is using sub permanently for depression. I am afraid that will be the case with me as well. Just like you said I feel so depressed when not on something and no antidepressant has any effect.

But I have 2 fears. One is are we really sober on this? Is sub blocking the antidepressants? And the second is can long-term sub be neurotoxic?
I feel you both, when I came back from rehab the first time when I was 21 I was still in chronic pain but the depression that came without having opioids in my system made me take a shotgun to my head (thank god it wasn't loaded, it was at my dads house as I was stuck living there after rehab due to my brother still being an active heroin user) after that I had to sit down and think very hard about the future, I didn't want to go back on opioids that the dose would just go up and up and up like it had in the past.. Suboxone wasn't well known at the time but I reached out to a friend and he gave me one, it helped the pain and the depression went away. I made an appointment with his doctor (at the time there were only 3 doctors that could proscribe it in my area.. and I live in florida, where at that time there was a "pain management" doctor on every corner.. Needless to say I have been on it for over 15 years now & when I got cough up in meth & drinking after chemotherapy I went back to rehab and they kept me on it, the doctor basically said "its better than other painkillers and you don't seem depressed so just stay on it".. I don't like to say I am going to be a "Lifer" on any medication, but anymore if it keeps me off worse things & I can be productive in life on it then I will stay on it.. I know I can get off it, it sucks but I have had to in the past for short periods, but to me getting off anti-depressants is WAY more dangerous and uncomfortable..

My situation is not yours, so personally if my body would allow it I would want to be off all meds, but my body is a wreck & some chemicals (not subs) I have to have to live so if I am going to go to a doctor every month no matter what, I might as well get one extra script.

I wish you the best, ultimately its best to look at it and see if its helping you more in life or is it hurting you more in life, if it does more harm than good get rid of it (I feel that way about any chemical)

About 13 years for me.
21+ years as a junkie altogether.

I don't think I'll ever quit opioids and I'm not afraid or ashamed to admit that.

Most of the problems from opioids (including heroin) come from the fact that you have to buy dirty god-knows-what on the streets, lack of true education surrounding drugs & people being irresponsible or stupid.
I also never really cared for needles, so I never got into shooting them (opioids) up. I found snorted heroin peaked almost just as fast and had beautiful legs (back before fent took over), which I prefer over a short lived rush.

I too am in the category of finding that only opiates/oids (including bupe) help any of my major depressive symptoms (which often includes pain & fatigue all through my body). I hate the stigma and taboo surrounding opioids for this kind of use. I found due to it's partial agonism and what not, that bupe loses it's affect to help with depression & cravings over time. People think having steady levels of bupe all through out their system is a good thing and it may be for some one who wants nothing to do with opioids and is just using it to stay straight, but I find that if I can't feel my meds, then it's not gonna do shit to help with cravings or my mood. Which is why I wish I could just use heroin or a shorter acting opioids multiple times a day instead. I could probably live with 3-4 hits of good pure diacetylmorphine a day. Maybe even some days less, especially if that shit puts me down for a nap or for bed. lol

But alas, we live in a world/country that cares more about genders, skin colors, politics, etc.. rather than letting fucking humans medicate with what they CHOOSE to have in their body. And in some places are even being told they must have something they don't want in their body. What a backwards ass clown world.

You are not the only person who I met that is using sub permanently for depression. I am afraid that will be the case with me as well. Just like you said I feel so depressed when not on something and no antidepressant has any effect.

But I have 2 fears. One is are we really sober on this? Is sub blocking the antidepressants? And the second is can long-term sub be neurotoxic?

I don't think most opioids are neurotoxic, at least not to the degree that other drugs like amphetamines are.
BUT bupe is an odd one. I find this bit of speculative information interesting about long term bupe.

I consider it sober if you take it daily to the point where your levels are constant and your body has adjusted it.
Although I do notice I still get random nods on it from time to time even after 4 years. And they're not the euphoric kind of nods that we all know and love. It's more like "oh fuck, I'm not suppose to be falling asleep right now and this is really uncomfortable". I also find bupe numbs me emotionally but this can be a good thing for people like myself who have emotional issues. And the numbness is nowhere near as severe as SSRI's are.

I'd actually be more worried about the long term consequences of naloxone ingesting since we're all forced a pointless bupe/naloxone combo onto us. And naloxone is not meant for long term use like that. And even if it is poorly absorbed, some of it is still ending up in your body every time you dose.

About 13 years for me.
21+ years as a junkie altogether.

I don't think I'll ever quit opioids and I'm not afraid or ashamed to admit that.

Most of the problems from opioids (including heroin) come from the fact that you have to buy dirty god-knows-what on the streets, lack of true education surrounding drugs & people being irresponsible or stupid.
I also never really cared for needles, so I never got into shooting them (opioids) up. I found snorted heroin peaked almost just as fast and had beautiful legs (back before fent took over), which I prefer over a short lived rush.

I too am in the category of finding that only opiates/oids (including bupe) help any of my major depressive symptoms (which often includes pain & fatigue all through my body). I hate the stigma and taboo surrounding opioids for this kind of use. I found due to it's partial agonism and what not, that bupe loses it's affect to help with depression & cravings over time. People think having steady levels of bupe all through out their system is a good thing and it may be for some one who wants nothing to do with opioids and is just using it to stay straight, but I find that if I can't feel my meds, then it's not gonna do shit to help with cravings or my mood. Which is why I wish I could just use heroin or a shorter acting opioids multiple times a day instead. I could probably live with 3-4 hits of good pure diacetylmorphine a day. Maybe even some days less, especially if that shit puts me down for a nap or for bed. lol

But alas, we live in a world/country that cares more about genders, skin colors, politics, etc.. rather than letting fucking humans medicate with what they CHOOSE to have in their body. And in some places are even being told they must have something they don't want in their body. What a backwards ass clown world.
there is said place, its called Portugal. If it does help you live your life and still help the community around you then I say do it. I don't like to use the word "Drugs" anymore, they are chemicals, compounds, etc. "drugs" has too much tied to it, like "I'm going to the drug store." is normally accepted by people (or so I have found), but if I say "I gotta go get drugs" then I have found I get a very different reaction..
If you can have a productive, happy life on a chemical than why not use it, but with RESPECT of the chemical. I think almost everyone would agree that alcohol is the worst substance to all living things.

there is said place, its called Portugal. If it does help you live your life and still help the community around you then I say do it. I don't like to use the word "Drugs" anymore, they are chemicals, compounds, etc. "drugs" has too much tied to it, like "I'm going to the drug store." is normally accepted by people (or so I have found), but if I say "I gotta go get drugs" then I have found I get a very different reaction..
If you can have a productive, happy life on a chemical than why not use it, but with RESPECT of the chemical. I think almost everyone would agree that alcohol is the worst substance to all living things.
Oh yes, I have friends in Portugal. They are a prime example.

Places like Switzerland too at least offer actual diacetylmorphine maintenance.

I couldn't agree more. Only thing stopping me from using heroin now a days is the fact that I don't want to have to be breaking the law anymore, or getting fentanyl or shitty cuts & my main guy went to prison for life. So until I can find somebody as good as that guy was or it gets legalized, then I guess it's buprenorphine for me until then.

Well first motorbike accident 2006 in Chiang mai Thailand I was introduced to Tramadol, being as I lived in Thailand for many years training and competing in Muay Thai from the age of 18 (turned 19 later 2006) driving a Yamaha NSR (I think a middle sized bike I've had motorbike license from the age of 16) recklessly having no concept of my own mortality, replacing defending champions of the northern belt, fighting in the main event of a new stadium etc, I started getting Tramadol and used it recpinsible for 10 years (I did use EOD practically never exceeding 400 mg for terapeutic use).

After a while when I was injury free I started using it recreationally at higher doses always complementing with clonazepam to avoid seziers. Then in 2014 I had a serious motorbike accident and almost died was prescribed 200 Tramadol 50 mg and 200 Lorazepam 0,5 mg. I took the first flight home leaving hospital and two years later at my birthday with my family as was usual I indulged recreationally in opioids on my birthday and was at a sushi resturant to celebrat, all of a sudden I wake up on the floor an had a seizure.

So tramadol was out, as I have constant pain I researched alternatives and found Subutex to be the most affordable painkiller starting using 0.2 mg a day having rest weeks as I did with tramadol not realizing the long half life I thought that I was not addicted until I was using 2 mg a day and decided to quit this was 2018,I got WD's and relapsed two times then I found Kratom 2019 and bought 1000 grams and today I'm sober from opiates.

I still use benzos therapeutically (1 mg every 6 hours) and stimulants recreationally during weekends.

On codeine since 2005 oxy since 2006 and H since 2009.
Then Methadone and bupe since 2009 also interchangeably. Now I'm on Buvidal and it changed my life. I HAVE a life now! No daily clinic anymore, I can holiday, can multiday party, can sleep in!!!!

I lately get a lot of excessive sleepiness due to sub.( I assume) For the last 3 days, I slept most of the time. Maybe depression plays a role too.

For the better part of 35 years, hell maybe more. Although I still really need those meds, I've been cut off and can only use cannabis and OTC now. Shameful IMO, screw 'em all! TBH, I struggle to get through each and every day. I just don't get jt! Clearly their values and mine DO NOT align! To boot, I was told a few years ago they DID NOT test for cannabis (Spice yes). Like I've written before, I'd rather 10 patients who didn't really need pain meds get them than deny 1 patient who really needs them (and not in fucking hospice either!!)

Hello y'all.
I started stuffing around with opiates in 1996...two years later, I was having a blast. I got myself a huge heroin habit up until March, 2012; when I got onto Suboxone and I am still on Suboxone...around 24mg a day. I would have a wee tickle every now and then, especially when there was good gear around...(like yesterday and today)...
You know, I was pretty determined to just travel my path with Suboxone after I turned 50, which was last June...but alas, I'd be-a-kidding myself... I work; I play; I love and sometimes I hide in a dark corner of a room...lol...usually on the nod.
...so to answer your question...around 27 years...

hi!!!
17 years...first 5 years tramadol then bupre patch n now buvidal 160mg s.c...

For the better part of 35 years, hell maybe more. Although I still really need those meds, I've been cut off and can only use cannabis and OTC now. Shameful IMO, screw 'em all! TBH, I struggle to get through each and every day. I just don't get jt! Clearly their values and mine DO NOT align! To boot, I was told a few years ago they DID NOT test for cannabis (Spice yes). Like I've written before, I'd rather 10 patients who didn't really need pain meds get them than deny 1 patient who really needs them (and not in fucking hospice either!!)
I don't even know what to think anymore. Did they run out. Where did it all go. Talk about a crisis! Weirdness.

I don't even know what to think anymore. Did they run out. Where did it all go. Talk about a crisis! Weirdness.
(hey thanks for the pep talk about dentist it helped, tried to DM you)

Me, since 2014. Trying to quit (bupe) now but since I am also addicted to klonopin and recently weaned off amphetamines it is tough plus my shrink wants me to do Klonopin first.
I just detoxed both suboxone and xanax all in last 24-25 days. I would suggest doing the sub first but go ahead and start a valium taper before you start the sub detox.
If you don't plan on doing a taper with valium than I would allow min. 30 days to do you benzo taper.
That and definitely have some gabapentin on stand by. You're going to need it.
Having said that, both are doable.
Good luck to you.

To some this thread would be depressing. I'm finding it to be a bit of a relief. I have been high or kicking every second of my life since 2010. 12 years feels long. Most of the time I hear about someone with a drug problem, it's for a few years or so, and it sort of feels like that's not really the same, and it's a lonely feeling. Opiate addicts are rare enough, harder, long term ones are even rarer, and the rarest of all: the long term, hardcore, but semi-functioning, Frankenstein-in-sheep's-clothing-addict. It's a lonely club. Can't exactly talk about it at my day job or my gym.

14 years ago a "buddy" walked up to me in the hall at my highschool and told me he had some OC's. I never really got too into it until I went to college though. That was about ten years ago. Then came 7 years of pretty serious IV addiction. Then the last 3 or 4 years I've worked really hard to change my life. I've relapsed on dope and Oxy a couple times but for the most part I've been successful on maintenance. I'm on 8mg of Bupe daily now and I take 20mg of fluoxetine(Prozac) in the morning . I smoke a little weed every day and usually have a drink after dinner. I'm happy for the most part and my life is going really well. Good luck to everyone.