• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

how long do your concentrates last?

umfree14

Bluelighter
So about four months ago I bought my first oil rig. Before this I've only dabbed at this dab bar they set up at this warehouse collective owners would rent booths at, so when I got my own I was STOKED. Four months later I'm still STOKED and treat it with extra care as it wasn't cheap and wish to have it for a while. Now I'm running into an issue where I go through oil/wax/shatter quickly. Quality is not the issue. I know its all solved through smoking less so its kind of a goofy question but how long do your concentrates last? I can go through a G> no problem in a day between my wife and I. You can see how this can get pricey. I medicate for primarily medicinal reasons so when I'm suffering from ailments I go through a lot of meds. Buying bulk works but I have to get various strains as tolerance to a particular strain grows quickly where I get a ceiling effect. I could dab and dab and dab absolute shatter that wrecks folks beside me that have there own rig so they burn a lot to. Wtf. Sorry I can't break up into paragraphs on this mobile or at least haven't figured out.

I usually get a gram every 4-5 days, but it changes up depending on what I do. Sometimes it will even stretch out for a week if I don't smoke a lot. When I smoked flowers an 8th would typically last me the same amount of time. I don't take huge dabs, most of mine are usually .1 or less. I rather take a few small ones than take a big one and cough my brains out lol, not that I don't do that every once and awhile ;)

I don't like taking large dabs either. Its just I take a bunch in a sitting. I usually take about 3 dabs in a session but I'm always taking some here and there. Its just so easy to listen to a podcast while stretching or working out and taking dabs here and there when i break. Stretching while under the influence of some nice buds or wax is fantastic.

I only do dabs at my dealers house, i get fat dabs of really dope shatter its legit/
i give him 5 bucks he gives me multiple dabs over the morning ill be high for many many hours
best high for the money ime

I don't like taking large dabs either. Its just I take a bunch in a sitting. I usually take about 3 dabs in a session but I'm always taking some here and there. Its just so easy to listen to a podcast while stretching or working out and taking dabs here and there when i break. Stretching while under the influence of some nice buds or wax is fantastic.
If you like the longer sessions (as opposed to a one dab sesh), have you tried taking one dab and then smoking a bit of weed after? I find that this often times will get me higher than if I had taken 3 dabs with no weed. This makes my concentrates last a lot longer too.

If you like the longer sessions (as opposed to a one dab sesh), have you tried taking one dab and then smoking a bit of weed after? I find that this often times will get me higher than if I had taken 3 dabs with no weed. This makes my concentrates last a lot longer too.
Hmm I'll have to start mixing it up. Thats a good way to make it last longer.

PHP:
Take a break and get your tolerance get back down. Dabs have a bad reputation for ruining a person 's tolerance, often to the point where smoking regular bud doesn't even do anything anymore.

If you're smoking lots of oil I think you really should do a grow because it's more sustainable in terms of costs, especially when you say this is a concern. No way would I smoke dabs without growing. Prices can be outrageous.

Last edited:
I've made my own oil from my own grow and I have bought my own oil as well and can say with confidence that I am NOT saving that much money, if ANY. Time = Money.

I made two grams of oil (one of which was almost shatter quality) last saturday and it was gone by wednesday. Expensive given that it took about 13g of nice bud to make .

Youre definitely smoking way more oil than the comparative amount of flowers, you could never get a gram out of a henry.

Take a break and get your tolerance get back down. Dabs have a bad reputation for ruining a person 's tolerance, often to the point where smoking regular bud doesn't even do anything anymore.

If you're smoking lots of oil I think you really should do a grow because it's more sustainable in terms of costs, especially when you say this is a concern. No way would I smoke dabs without growing. Prices can be outrageous.

Expensive to smoke marijuana??

It's definitely more expensive in the short term with equipment costs but down the line it may very well save on costs if dispensary prices are a concern since you're paying their man hours, overheads, electricity (indoor grows), tax and other costs incurred. Hey it's not for everyone but some people actually enjoy it and don't see it as work (time=money argument) so it could be a solution. It's a passion for me and I do it for the enjoyment rather than to save money.

If you grow outdoors you could sustain yourself for a good part of the year or even the whole year and the costs of this in particular are tiny. For someone finding they are starting to consume lots of oil this would be worth considering.

Outdoor growing method:
NSFW:
As long as you don't live too far up north use the following method for outdoor growing:

Go hiking in the woods if you live in a rural area and if possible, find a good open spot that gets sun and prep the soil by breaking it up with a mattock and garden fork and add garden compost or manure. Start the seeds, grow them on and harden them off (optional) before planting and watering in your cultivated and surround with chicken wire to stop rabbits/hares. Use organic slug pellets to keep slugs from eating your seedlings and visit your plot every 2-3 days until established after which you can go once a week.

Top your plants a few times to have multiple stems to give multiple colas to prevent botrytis mould from killing the bulk of your main cola if sets in. This way you might get mould in one but the rest remain largely unscathed. Of course you will probably get bits of mould on all your main colas, but you snip them out carefully so as not to spread spores and move well away from your plot. For outdoor growing, unless you're somewhere like Spain, in places like the UK you will need some mould resistance in the strain i.e. a strain bred for outdoor growing.

Then harvest your plants when they are ready and dry.

This is very simplified method but it shows you how easy it is to grow outdoors.

Here's a Purple Maroc from Female Seeds I harvested at 51° north. I've posted a pic of it on here before:

gallery_51167_2607_350797.jpg

It's just a suggestion at the end of the day. It is not a viable option for some, or it takes too much patience but for others it's obviously well worth it.

Expensive to smoke marijuana??

It's mainly the costs of electricity for me. Compared to dealer weed it's nothing though.

Last edited:
Yeah well that's just you now isn't it lol. You just couldn't resist.
I felt like sharing my experience as I have several years of growing experience and I have made my own oil from my own plants. I have bought my own oil from the blackmarket, from dispensaries and from recreational centers and I can say without a doubt I was not saving much money if ANY at all by growing my own.

There is value in knowing you did it all yourself and noone can take that from you, but when the topic is strictly about finances I have to disagree that you are going to save a ton of money just because you are growing your own. Time = Money

When you buy it the seller by in large does so at a profit, and it's sometimes compounded by going through a middleman. If you can't undercut them when you're consuming your own product then that's your own issue. Most people are able to make savings home-growing.

And no, time doesn't always equal moneypeople. You're not on the clock getting paid, you're doing it for a hobby or to save money. If you're doing it purely for financial reasons or are getting paid for it, maybe, but there are other factors.

I've had 'years of experience' too, not that it's particularly relevant and I have no trouble making savings, even if I factored in work put in. For the majority of growers this is the number one reason they ditch the dealer for god's sake! And it doesn't take 'years of experience' to manage this either. If they grew outdoors they would save even more! So much so that skilled growers growing outdoors often have so much weed they don't know what to do with it all!

Last edited:
^ "so much weed you don't know what to do with it all" that will make any potheads ears perk up lol. I don't think your being for real tho. Maybe so much bud they can't smoke it all during the growing season if your talking outdoors and not slangin it.

It was a bit of an exaggeration but to give you an idea on the numbers outdoors I get about 200g (7 oz) per plant if it's healthy and I could easily grow anything up to 15 plants per plot (3kg per plot). I usually keep numbers low though with about 10 per plot. Last year I just had the one plot running with about 5 plants (half a kg) because of health issues. It's a lot of work finding your plots but once you've found it and prepped it it's all downhill from there. This is the UK climate not under cover, in Spain and other countries they can do a lot better as they can in certain weed states in the US.

When you're yielding over half a kg from just about 3 plants it starts to change your perspective and buying from a dealer or dispensary starts to become less appealing lol.

Last edited:
Unless you have bought your own land, outdoor growing is very risky financially. Can you imagine working hard hours all year long only to have your crop stolen? It's gut wrenching and will make you poor in a heartbeat.

Hell, I've had my legal indoor crop stolen before by a damn HVAC repairman douchebag. This problem is more frequent than you might think and a lot harder to prevent than you might think too.

That's why you have more than one plot, expecting to lose a % or just deal with the loss (humans can be a type of pest too!) and depend on an indoor grow which still would save you money if done right. This is kind of besides the point though. There's usually nothing forcing you to put all your eggs in one basket.

Losing plants never makes me poor, it just makes me not have those plants lol. There's a difference between selling and growing to make your own oil.

You're clutching at straws.

That's why you have more than one plot, expecting to lose a % or just deal with the loss (humans can be a type of pest too!) and depend on an indoor grow which still would save you money if done right. This is kind of besides the point though. There's usually nothing forcing you to put all your eggs in one basket.
More than one plot to cover the loss of stolen plants? lol that sounds like extraneous work if I have ever heard of it.

Losing plants never makes me poor, it just makes me not have those plants lol. .
Losing a crop after a years labor doesn't sound like profit to me.