• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

How important is education?

Me too Daffodil girl....I was just kidding before.... I'm so glad I got my degree.

I'm fulfilled spiritually as a human being....I'm so glad I used my one shot at existence...to get my degree.

I'm so proud of myself.... Thanks Apple.....Thanks Microsoft.....Thanks Starbucks.

I made a difference.

I earned just under 2 million paper dollars in a time span of 35 years.....

Yep fulfilled.:)

Hopefully one day you'll wake up and realize that all this noise you're making is just another flavor of "Ba-a-a-a" and start enjoying your life.

Hopefully one day you'll wake up and realize that all this noise you're making is just another flavor of "Ba-a-a-a" and start enjoying your life.

No, you're absolutely right bro.... I just went out and stocked up on Pepsi cola products.

Last edited:

He's a good advertisement for why not getting an education is such a bad idea :)

If you haven't been to college or gotten an education informally, an education, is more important than you think it is. I see this first hand. I live in an education-void. Any body smart or with ambition leaves town to go to college, and they don't come back (except for a few educated retirees who come back to their home town to die. These mountain towns are set in beautiful locations with uplifting scenery after all.).. Those who remain have no idea how dumb/ignorant they are. This is the kind of place you read about when you see polls and surveys that claim that more than half the US population believes the earth is 4000 years old, half the population is only semi-literate (5th grade level), dinosaurs and humans co-existed, the sun orbits the earth, global warming is a conspiracy perpetrated by liberal elites who seek to profit by it, reading books is laziness, fiction books are lies... And the more ignorant a person is, the prouder they are and the more anti-education they become. To them, Fatty Booboo, tractor pulls, pig roasts, and Hootenanies are high culture. Ironically, I don't have anything against rustic culture in small doses, but to be in an area that doesn't know anything else can be stifling.... That's why I got up early this morning and road my bike 100 miles to a resort town in the next mountain range (with my laptop) and plan to camp for a few days.. just see some culture again.

If I lived in a beautiful mountain town, I wouldn't want to know anything else, either. ;)

In my opinion education is important for these simple stuff running:
-you can't get a job without it no matter how smart you really are inside you need to study to get a real job.
-it keeps us evolving.
-it's the reason we keep waiting for another iPhone to be released, because someone out there is studying his ass off and he's is discovering new shit by the day.
-it increase your logic in life.
-it changes your point of view of the world.
-and once your good at it it becomes ridiculously fun :)

In my opinion education is good as long as it helps you achieve whatever you want to achieve. Aside from that, it is just vanity.

There are many reasons that people have for studying and not studying. Some people take their time at university, learning as much as they can, valuing the accumulating knowledge. Some people think further education (beyond high school) is pointless. What value do you give to education and why do you feel that way?

Personally, I find education useful for developing myself as a person; learning more and more about the world as I progress through the education chain to the end of a university degree, and achieving my goals in that sense. I think it's important to have goals and to work hard to get from A to B; there is so much to learn on the way, so many situations that will give you an outlook on life that you didn't previously have. I love educating myself.

Do you prefer learning though organised education, like university institutions, or being an autodidact - teaching yourself from places like the internet or library?

I'd say it's important, but with today's job market, it's even more important to stand out and have other credentials. Getting a master's degree with a 3.5+ GPA and internship work experience can put you at the top of the hiring list for a position. Recommendation letters from professors and prior military experience with particular accomplishments and awards can go a long way.

Getting a bachelor's in marketing with only a 2.5 GPA and no work experience still puts you at the bottom of the hiring list. It doesn't carry that much weight. So, if you're going to pursue an education for better career opportunities, you should go "all in." Go for ever achievement possible.

Further education is always a good choice for personal development. Public Speaking, adding expertise in Office Applications... It's all good stuff. You'll need it..

In my opinion education is good as long as it helps you achieve whatever you want to achieve. Aside from that, it is just vanity.
what's (necessarily) vain about wanting to improve ones knowledge simply for the sake of learning?

alasdair

I don't know if many people make the sacrifice of going through 4 years of college just for vanity. In today's increasingly complex world you need an education (either formal or informal) if you want to be an informed citizen who engages with current events, who makes good voting decisions, and who lives a socially responsible lifestyle. Uneducated people can come across as illiterate hicks.

Last edited:
I dont think education is important at all. You only learn so much in a classroom. Of course there are highly specialized jobs where it is necessary but a lot of jobs that require degrees nowadays are not very complicated when you get down to it.

learning how to use technology and to use your time at work effectively is more important than learning calculus 99/100 times IMO.

the only reason people got it drilled into their heads that you have to go to college is because our education system is actually a business for the people who run it and they want to make as much money as possible.

All a degree does is get you an interview but knowing someone will also get you an interview without putting you into massive amounts of debt from school loans.

there's plenty of jobs that pay reasonably well and dont require anything more than a High School Diploma. You may not be able to just slide right into them and might have to prove yourself first but if you can't handle a more menial job then how are you going to handle something a level or two above that?

Everyone complains about there not being any jobs yet a lot of new college graduates consider themselves above working at some jobs.

aka, theyre a bit high on themselves and a piece of paper that proves that you can fill out a bunch of pieces of paper and explain basic psychology.

which you can use on yourself to figure out why nobody cares about your degree in Golf Course Management

I really couldn't tell you one thing I learned after 9th grade that I use ever, outside of tech related things.

The United States got so caught up in a some BS low-standardized test scores compared to the rest of the world that the powers that be decided to make it their goal to make every citizen a modern Renaissance Man when in reality they just needed to learn how to do one thing, and to do it better than anyone (RIP Orville Redenbacher, one of the best quotes of all time IMO). Kind of like Communism, except with a lot more shopping malls.

We didn't become a global powerhouse by sitting in classrooms, we did it by taking the best classroom people from other countries and making them work for us.

there's always going to be someone smarter than you, so you might as well just work hard as shit and be fun to work with. That is worth more than any test score or degree you can pull out

Last edited:
I dont think education is important at all. You only learn so much in a classroom. Of course there are highly specialized jobs where it is necessary but a lot of jobs that require degrees nowadays are not very complicated when you get down to it.

learning how to use technology and to use your time at work effectively is more important than learning calculus 99/100 times IMO.

the only reason people got it drilled into their heads that you have to go to college is because our education system is actually a business for the people who run it and they want to make as much money as possible.

All a degree does is get you an interview but knowing someone will also get you an interview without putting you into massive amounts of debt from school loans.

there's plenty of jobs that pay reasonably well and dont require anything more than a High School Diploma. You may not be able to just slide right into them and might have to prove yourself first but if you can't handle a more menial job then how are you going to handle something a level or two above that?

Everyone complains about there not being any jobs yet a lot of new college graduates consider themselves above working at some jobs.

aka, theyre a bit high on themselves and a piece of paper that proves that you can fill out a bunch of pieces of paper and explain basic psychology.

which you can use on yourself to figure out why nobody cares about your degree in Golf Course Management

I really couldn't tell you one thing I learned after 9th grade that I use ever, outside of tech related things.

The United States got so caught up in a some BS low-standardized test scores compared to the rest of the world that the powers that be decided to make it their goal to make every citizen a modern Renaissance Man when in reality they just needed to learn how to do one thing, and to do it better than anyone (RIP Orville Redenbacher, one of the best quotes of all time IMO). Kind of like Communism, except with a lot more shopping malls.

We didn't become a global powerhouse by sitting in classrooms, we did it by taking the best classroom people from other countries and making them work for us.

there's always going to be someone smarter than you, so you might as well just work hard as shit and be fun to work with. That is worth more than any test score or degree you can pull out

Subotai, this is a very eloquent post. I actually don't have much to argue with. Have you ever been to college? If so, what did you study and how long were you there? I'm just curious to find out what personal experience(s) made you so poo poo on the academic process.

I guess the reason your post resonates so much with me is because about 15 years ago I dropped out of college because I had grown very cynical with education as well. I was in my fourth year and had about three semesters left to graduate. Fast forward several years and I had a psychiatric breakdown of sorts and ended up homeless for about six months and eventually found myself caught in the revolving door of the mental health system. Once I finished all that and got stable on meds, I began the process of going back to work.

Just like you stated above, I started at the bottom and found myself doing very menial labor. I'll admit that jobs like that will grind your soul into nothing just as fast as any job that requires a degree. The people I worked with were all awesome and fun to work with, which made the labor tolerable. But the work itself sucked goat balls. I also did what you mentioned and networked with people in the workplace and was able to break into retail because a co-worker had two jobs - the one we worked and a job in retail. She got me an interview and I was hired on the spot.

While the change of scenery improved and the new co-workers were cool, I couldn't help but think I was wasting my time not doing something that had a more direct impact in helping others. Sure, helping people find the restroom or cleaning up after their kids' mess may give some employees the warm fuzzies, but not me. Once again I reconnected with a high school friend and he hired me to do commission sales for the construction company he inherited. As you can see, I had no college degree but over the years I was still able to move up in the world....and prove a lot of your post to be true.

But. For anyone who has done commission sales can tell you, it can be soul-sucking as well. I was barely able to cover my draws and have anything left over, I put a lot of wear and tear on my own personal truck, and worst of all, I got sick of having doors slammed in my face from potential customers who hated salesmen. Or to bust your ass with a two hour pitch only to have the customer go with an inferior, cheaper product.

Anyways, fast forward again and I got sick of not finding my work meaningful. I saved enough money to move and went back to college. I finished my BA online and subsequently enrolled in grad school. Two years later I had a Master's degree and now I'm working as a social worker for a great local agency. I get to help people every day and make the world a better place.

My point is, you said yourself that a degree gets you an interview and so does knowing someone. Now I challenge you to imagine the possibilities of having the degree AND knowing someone. Knowing someone can only get you so far if the company policy requires a college degree. So even knowing people on the inside has its limitations. But having the degree and knowing someone? The possibilities are endless.

Because of my experiences, I never look down upon people who come home from work sweaty and smelly from their job. It just ain't for me....ya dig? Rather than discouraging people from pursuing post-secondary education, I think it would be better to encourage people to pursue their dreams regardless of the journey it takes to get there. If that means trade or technical school, then so be it. If it means no school at all and going straight into the workforce, then so be it. If it means a decade of college, then so be it.

You have found a way to navigate the workforce without a college degree and I appreciate your input. I hope something I said makes sense to you and we can continue this conversation as adults.

I do know people who could have gotten me jobs if I had a degree but I guess I always just kind of fell back on the fact that I know I can do more or less any task assigned to me and maybe even point out a few things that could be done differently. I'm only 22 years old, Im really not focused on a career. I'm just going to let that work itself out. Right now I work at a liquor store.

I don't even like alcohol

but who's to say it won't be a weed store within 10 years?

I love smoking weed

shit works itself out, worrying about whether you are qualified for something only adds unnecessary stress.

I know what I can and can't do. I don't need to spend thousands of dollars to figure that out

sure, I could be working for SAP right now, but I could have also died at childbirth

win some lose some

I took a few community college classes at the urging of my parents. I can't believe Sociology is a class. Do people really not know the difference between rich and poor? I kind of thought Sociology should just be renamed "Earth 101: Do you get out much?"

and Psychology is a joke. Everyone thinks differently, sit down with someone and get to really know them and their outlook on life. boom, there's everything you need to know about psychology. everything else is just a bunch of quasi made up BS so people like Freud can sound smarter than they actually were

Last edited:
Education, Experience, Wisdom... It's all important.. Lectures, books, hands on experience... Yep, it's good stuff.

You can still get educated without going to school tough... That's if you're motivated enough to read books and educate yourself.

I seen a dramatic improvement from being a high school drop out to getting my BSBA Accounting degree regrading my intelligence.

As much as I hated writing numerous research papers throughout my college experience, I'd say it payed off.

I think it's even more important to be taught by savvy instructors who can teach outside the box, and in an unbiased point of view. And an instructor that'll teach you how to see the big picture.

Having a savvy mentor is a huge plus.

i agree with subotai because i went to uni before, dropped out, then for much less money went to college (vocational school) for a diploma in a STEM field (computer science). i'm more qualified for most of the entry-level jobs that "require B.Sc." than someone who actually has a B.Sc because there's more emphasis on learning the technologies/languages used in the job market in college as opposed to university where there's more focus on abstract, higher-level sciences.

a lot of the people creating the job ads don't necessarily know a damn thing about your field of expertise so that "requires B.Sc" is just something they've slapped on to ensure, to the best of their knowledge, that the people who apply can actually do the job to a professional standard. the higher-level jobs don't even list educational requirements because it's just obvious that if you've been working in the career for a few years you're already well-versed regardless of what some paper you earned years ago says about you.

do i think an education is necessary? beyond a doubt, but i think it's important to consider the market, consider your interests, have expectations of what your education should be giving you and restructure your goals if it's not giving you what you need. IME, too often, university completely waxes over the important question of what you'll be doing after you graduate, and for the money they ask for that education it's fucking pitiful that they aren't educating as pragmatically as a vocational school does.

I really don't know. I think it's important to keep informed, pursue what interests you and commit to self development just for the sake of yourself and society. Formal education is obviously important if you need it for your desired profession. There's a lot of grey area and I think it depends on the individual more than anything, I'm currently at university and whilst I really value what I'm learning here, I think I'm learning just as much in my spare time.

Important but what if study was never your thing. If you have trouble remembering stuff then how will you remember college?

Depends what you're doing. I was working in retail since 15, working my way up, making hellah good money. Manager at 18 years old. Once I got into my masters program, no one in retail wanted me anymore because, "I was just playing them, I wasn't serious about starting a career in retail".