• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

How important is education?

How important is education? Well, I was told all through secondary (high) school that I needed to do well at my GCSE's, then A-Levels, then it would be off to University and a job would await once that was done. Post-2008 I don't think they will be saying that any more.. probably more along the lines of "you need to work harder, do more extra-curricular stuff, be the best and not the rest".. you know, because there's less jobs and less on offer generally. That and the fact they don't know what else to say!

Learning maths and science at school level is important I think, as well as psychology and developing thinking abilities.. though obviously there's a contradiction; can't be teaching kids too much or they might start arguing back with a level of reason you can't defeat. But I had to do 11 GCSE's. What is the fucking point in that? I don't give a shit about learning another language, or history that they and the textbook has to offer. I could have excelled at the stuff I was interested in if I wasn't forced to learn so much stupid shit. What a waste of time.

I basically became disillusioned with the whole thing when I started smoking pot at around 15. Prior I was a straight A student (at one of the best schools in England). My father was a teacher and he has major issues with the education system, and Gove (politician). He tried to get his school to teach cooking and other essential skills, but it just fell by the way side to.. history, languages, and assorted shite.

Education isn't really about making people smarter. It's about making sufficiently intelligent people who can run machines but not ask questions about WHY they're doing it. The Western education system is stuck 100 years in the past. Our masters have no reason to change it any time soon, except to make it more grueling and punishing to children.

i think you're conflating education with 'the education system'.

you also seem really beat down and angry. do you need a hug?

:)

alasdair

When people talk about education it is fair to assume they're referring to the education system. The overwhelming majority went through it. There's other options like homeschooling or whatever, but when someone says education to me that means pre-school, school, college, university. And what the fuck does it matter to you, my points were relevant and in context of this discussion, so go blow yourself.

When people talk about education it is fair to assume they're referring to the education system.
not at all. the op explictly referred to: "Personally, I find education useful for developing myself as a person; learning more and more about the world as I progress". education in the more general sense.
And what the fuck does it matter to you, my points were relevant and in context of this discussion, so go blow yourself.
q.e.d.

utJYPT1.gif

alasdair

Imo some things are just interesting and I want to know more about them.
This is my reason why I still take part in the education system provided here.

That alone is the best reason to pursue any type of education.

Education is extremely important, I also believe that you have to continuously educate yourself to improve in every aspect of your chosen career or a future career.

I don't plan to stay in my current field atm so I am goin to take courses this spring.

^Somethin in the medical field :D Although i am still debating which one. Thing is I don't want to spend another 4 years or so in school so I'd like something I can go to school for about a couple of years or so.

The medical field always needs clever, hard working people! Some medical technicians have it pretty good. Radiation therapy isn't too bad for instance, but where you could work would be slightly limited. Or the CT/MRT(I) technicians.

^ radiology is over flooded with techs. I would discourage trying to get into radiology at this time. Being a physicians assistant is a lucrative and intellectually stimulating career.

Education is the key to success, the only way to be at the top of your game is having the most knowledge for the best results in whatever you are doing.
Also, experience is the best certificate you can have.
Everyday you are learning, you are learning till the day you die.

The hierarchy of life goes something like this:

Food
Shelter
Medicare
Modern dentistry
High quality education

I think education is quite important, I'm a different person since doing my undergrad in so many ways. Apart from learning a new skill set, I find I'm now a more grounded person. I guess I just know enough to know that I don't know that much at all, and I'm more open to learning from the people around me.

I think education is quite important, I'm a different person since doing my undergrad in so many ways. Apart from learning a new skill set, I find I'm now a more grounded person. I guess I just know enough to know that I don't know that much at all, and I'm more open to learning from the people around me.

Me too Daffodil girl....I was just kidding before.... I'm so glad I got my degree.

I'm fulfilled spiritually as a human being....I'm so glad I used my one shot at existence...to get my degree.

I'm so proud of myself.... Thanks Apple.....Thanks Microsoft.....Thanks Starbucks.

I made a difference.

I earned just under 2 million paper dollars in a time span of 35 years.....

Yep fulfilled.:)