• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

How have psychedelics helped in your life?

Haven't helped in my life at all unfortunately, and I have used my share of psychs (mainly mushrooms) I got some issues that some people feel psychedelics helped them through but it was never the case for me.

I enjoy tripping every now and then (less and less these days though) and I am not saying that they can't help people but I think you should consider the possibility they might not help you. They might not even be enjoyable to you for that matter.

I know this probably isn't the kind of response you want in your thread but it is my honest experience with them and I think it is important to balance out the thread by showing you that your expectations may not be met.

I think this is a perfectly valid response. It's important to hear both sides, I feel, and definitely important to consider what you've said. No harm in different opinions:D

They have helped me too much to be able to describe here.
They helped me find myself.
They helped me find god/God/universe/nature within my own life.
They helped me forgive my mother.

However, I could have done all of these things without the use of any drugs.
It would have taken much longer, and been a hell of a lot more work.
But maybe I would be stronger for having done it the hard way?

In any case, they have helped me immeasurably.

I should also add (can't believe that I didn't put this in my original post) that when I first discovered mushrooms I had a lot as there were thousands growing in my area and I learned to pick thanks to shroomery.

Anyway as I had no money and was taking random drug tests at the time I didn't really get to use many substances so I went overboard with them. I was using them most days for 4-6 weeks, I don't really remember exactly how long but I ended up in a very bad way. I developed some serious(ish) mental issues as well as persisting minor hallucinations.

It took a good few months for my mind state to return to normal and the better part of a year for the hallucinations to subside. This is obviously an extreme case of misuse but it is important to consider that psychedelics are not toys and there can be serious repurcussions for treating them as such.

Yeah it's hard to say where it will go. My first trips helped with everything in my life so much. Music became better all the time (not just when tripping), I always had a smile on my face, best years of my life. I never abused psychedelics. I took summer long breaks. Never more than once a week and rarely at that frequency. Then I started noticing small increases in normal visual problems like floaters (just more of them when staring at the sky) and had persisting 2C-I like visuals on ceilings and spiderwebish things in the dark. Then all of a sudden one day I woke up and had bad visual snow, floaters everywhere (probably 50x increase over normal), anxiety, recently tinnitus, depersonalization and derealization (awful) and slight trails.

I'd never experienced anxiety before in my life (currently age 21) so that was a very weird thing to deal with. It's stabilized a lot recently (haven't used anything in 8 months), but the first 6 months were very hard to deal with. I still have everything except the dp/dr, and my anxiety is mostly back to normal (ie none), with occasional flare ups.

It's so hard to say why it all happened. What really freaked me out was I hadn't used anything for about three months when I had my sudden break. I love psychedelics so much though. I don't know, just basically anything can happen. It won't be a magic cure for your anxiety. Could make it worse. Could make it much better. You never know :).

Thanks to everyone for sharing their positive experiences =). It's very encouraging and helpful. And thanks to those who shared their not so positive experiences too. It's true that I shouldn't set my expectations too high as it would probably just end up making me worse if psychedelics don't end up helping me.

Interesting that you're looking to deal with anxiety issues, as that's exactly where psychedelics have helped me most! Which answers your original question.

Yes, psychedelics are amazingly effective therapeutic tools for patients with anxiety problems. They really help you find the "key" within your mind to an anxiety-free state, which you can then utilize in sobriety as well. However, one mescaline experience isn't guaranteed do the trick. You might need a few psychedelic therapy sessions as I did.

In any case, good luck. :)

Do you feel that psychedelics have straightened out problems that would have possibly been with you for the rest of your life? Or is it more of a temporary fix?

Also any tips on set/setting that would be good for a therapeutic trip?

Do you feel that psychedelics have straightened out problems that would have possibly been with you for the rest of your life? Or is it more of a temporary fix?

The positive effects that I was discussing were definitely of a permanent nature. I'm not saying that I was totally cured of my anxiety, but it was subdued to a fairly significant degree, and really allowed me to start living my life in a new way.

Also any tips on set/setting that would be good for a therapeutic trip?

Since you're dealing with social anxiety, I'd recommend being alone (which is how I always trip). Or, if someone you're very close to is willing to trip-sit you, this I'm sure is acceptable as well. I wouldn't get terribly wrapped up in social activity, however, because this would detract from the inward thinking that should be done on psychedelics.

Generally you're shooting for the most comfortable setting possible. Also, music is definitely a plus. Music doesn't really distract one from inward thoughts, rather it seems to guide them in a positive direction. I'd suggest uplifting, energetic music.

Yes they were the catalyst that made me realise I needed to stop being addicted to opiates & have sustained me ever since - along with other "real world" things.
Also they've been instrumental in bringing about some self realisations which have forced me to change my outlook world view to a degree.
And they've provided me with some incredibly deep & rich exxperiences & some great laughs - good times <3

For those of you that have said they saved your life, can you elaborate? Were you planning on killing yourself soon? Did they help you realize your lifestyle was a slow suicide?

^No, has nothing to do with suicide or a destructive lifestyle.

For me it was making me a better person.

mushrooms totally altered my psychological outlook on the world. I went from depressed to content. Mushrooms introduced me to Buddhism.

I think psychedelics were the most beautiful thing that ever happened to me. Help you to cope with losing loved ones, depression, feeling hopeless. Nothing else is so effective for me. They're a godsend.

psychedelics definetly changed my life,I used to be realy depressed then when I took shrooms my whole perception on things realy changed

I think I'm still the person I always have been, but with some refinements. DXM made a very profound impact on me one time. I had a real serious moment of thought that I cant explain, but it really got me motivated to push my life forward and go be somebody. I managed to save like 2 grand in the next couple months after that trip. Got me real serious about moving out. Then I lost my job and the economy went to shit.

But it helped a lot. I had just gotten out of a long relationship, kinda sparked my engine again.

And in general, they've opened me up to new things. I mean, If I can handle DXM-land, why not travel to other places too? Its caused me to see that there is so much to see and much to learn, and so thats why right now I'm in Peru. I think they helped me make some more adventurous choices.

While psychedelics do often help with big problems like social anxiety, it is dangerous to go into a trip expecting to avoid the pain of it, or to stuff it back into your unconscious never to be seen again.

Anxiety, among other personal problems always have their root in the self and ways of being. It is not some external condition imposed on you that can just be taken away by a drug. The anxiety is there for a reason and you need to do naught but seek the truth.

If you find yourself saying "make it go away," try a different attitude.

My advice is not to focus your intent on curing the anxiety, but to focus on your inner truth, revealing who you truly are, etc. Or just having no intentions at all is a wonderful way to enter a trip.

I used to have intense anxiety, and now I'm better. That's not because it went away, it's because I recognize anxiety for what it actually is: vulnerability. And vulnerability can be feared, or it can be loved.

And when you love vulnerability, the vulnerability transforms into a wonderful openness, freedom and connection with all around you. It's easy to fall into the mindset of wanting to be protected. But just the opposite must occur.

I hope this helps.

Yeah rhythm Psychs arent a "cure" like an antibiotic. They are a possible gateway to comfort and understanding. You still have to be able to walk through that door though.

i don't know if it has ever really helped/changed anything in my life but i think it is a wonderful little vacation i get to take for one day and not have to leave my house.

:|

Last edited by a moderator:
DXM introduced me to the idea of not living as the bitch-of-my-emotions. "Dissociating" from the day to day illusions and finding contentedness in it. DXM did this in a very cold, non personal way.

LSD showed me that our universe is stitched together with cosmic bliss. I can't really begin to describe the "truth" that it taught me, but it feels like I just know exactly what do now. It's simple: whatever the fuck I want, just don't hurt anyone. LSD brought me the same detached contentedness as DXM, but with much more love and insight. I can accept what happens in my life and marvel in the complexity and beauty of it.

Most definitely.

Since i had never really established a core personality to myself before taking psychedelics, they changed me entirely.. i am nothing like i use to be. I've changed so much in my behaviors and attitudes, that i can look at a photo of myself pre-psychedelics and not actually beable to associate much of my current self with the person in the photo. I would say this was mainly due to my willingness to change who i was through the direct use of psychedelics.

It helped my social anxiety tremendously, and allowed me to be more welcoming to all types of people.. much more outgoing and more ambitious to pursue life and happiness by whatever means available to me.

Rythem, thank you for your advice. I will definitely go into my trip with a different attitude because of your post. Luckily I live a pretty easy life, and there isn't much that aggravates me towards depression or suicide, so I won't look at it as the end of the world if psychedelics don't help me out.

Malakaix though I'm no psychologist I feel I'm in the same boat as you were as far as personality. I project myself as a completely different person to different groups of people. My peers(highschool) joke about me being "stoic" and never talking, while at home I'm basically the complete opposite. I also work pretty hard to keep these different projections consistent, sometimes even purposely acting quiet at school because that's what my peers know me as.

It's definitely come apparent to me that going on with different versions of myself is ridiculous, and probably related to my social anxiety, but I don't really know how to rectify it or "just act myself."

I'll definitely keep an open mind to anything mescaline and/or LSA can teach me. Not the optimal psychedelics for working out problems but I'll try to make it as introspective as possible.

There's one answer missing in this thread...

Psychedelics helped bring us all to PD on Bluelight :)