• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How does Ativan compare to Xanax, Valium, and Klonopin?

It takes 30min to an hour to kick in... 2 hours or so before the peak.
ha. interesting. well i dont know. i do not really want to participate in this anymore. feels like the twighlight zone.

holy shit does ativan kick in a lot faster for me and everyone i have ever given it to than it does for you all.

Everybody's reaction is different, if I let the tablet dissolve under my tongue then it is quite fast (faster then 30 minutes) and that kills the anxiety/panic...like its supposed to.

ha. interesting. well i dont know. i do not really want to participate in this anymore. feels like the twighlight zone.

holy shit does ativan kick in a lot faster for me and everyone i have ever given it to than it does for you all.

it kicked in for me in like 10 minutes.

There is no "everybody's reaction is different" - the way lorazepam is (poor lipid solubility, high protein binding) means prolonged onset and prolonged peak. It's just the way it is.

It's simple science.

There is no "everybody's reaction is different" - the way lorazepam is (poor lipid solubility, high protein binding) means prolonged onset and prolonged peak. It's just the way it is.

It's simple science.

then explain why I didnt feel tired what so ever after taking 5mg of lorazepam and from what people say 1mg is enough to knock them out.

only thing that happened to me was that I had loss of coordination and my anxiety went away but i was wide awake for some reason. Like i had more energy than before.

EDIT: And also I'd like to note that I had ZERO tolerance when i took 5mg. that was my 2nd dosage ever taking benzos

i just took one to come down off a two day adderall beige.. I'm dizzy as fuck and these texts keep bouncing in to one another im fucking done qith this shiy!

its strange how people experience drugs so differently. I would never describe benzo's as really being "euphoric" so much, but a lot of people seem to. Maybe it's like with opiates, what I consider euphoric is probably considered an unpleasant side effect to some.

yeah see Ive never seen benzos as euphoric either while some people swear by them. to me it has always been opiates. im on a hell of a drug cocktail now though but I take everything as prescribed and have officially set up a medication schedule and with the schedule I feel amazing all day and sleep like a baby at night. I wake up every morning at 10AM and immediately pop my first 20mg Ritalin LA (long acting). I then enjoy the focus and slight buzz (cause even after 3 years of daily use I still get a mild to moderate euphoria). then at 1 pm I pop my second 20mg Ritalin LA. then I ride that out till anywhere between 3 and 4 (never later then 4) and at this point I take my 20mg Ritalin IR (instant release). this usually lasts me till about 6pm before I start to notice the crash and once I feel fully disgusting and uncomfortable, I pop my 1 mg Ativan (though I plan to switch to klonopin soon because it is more formulated for daily use while as Ativan should really only be taken on an as needed basis, not daily). I then let the Ativan take its full effects for an hour or so until the stimulation from the Ritalin and the feelings of the crash have completely subsided. at this point the only symptom of my Ritalin crash left is the depressed mood. well at this point it is now 7pm and my pain is at its absolute peak (I have severe TMJ) and I then take my 2 Vicodin 750s. I used to take my Ritalin and vicodin at the same time but often found the vicodin cancelled out the effects of the Ritalin and since my pain doesn't even get to a breaking point till around 7pm, I decided to wait till 7. well by about 7:15-7:30, my pain has now pretty much completely subsided and although this isn't why I take it, I feel a moderate amount of warm blanket opiate euphoria. usually 2 750s isn't enough to make me feel euphoric, but the Ativan potentiates it and makes those two pills feel like 5. I then enjoy the next couple hours happy and pain free and then at 9pm I take my 50mg trazadone and 10mg zyprexa. I take the trazadone for sleep and the zyprexa for bi polar disorder (and even though the zyprexa isn't used for sleep, it is a strong non narcotic sedative that will knock anyone out). I used to take the trazadone and zyprexa right before bed but after being on it for 3 years, I have a tolerance and the drowsy effects usually take about 3 hours to take full effect). at midnight, starting to feel drowsy but still not quite ready for bed, I pop 2 more vicodin 750s and my pain which has slowly been returning once again disappears and again I get a moderate sense of euphoria. finally between 1 or 2 AM, I am very sleepy and go to bed, and with the combination of meds, I find that I am asleep in no more then 20 minutes. then up at 10AM again the next day to do it all over again. on a side note, its AMAZING to me how much money I save on those 3 narcotics with a legitimate prescription versus going through a dealer. I take all of my meds exactly as prescribed now for legitimate reasons and although dependent im not addicted (I don't have strong cravings or desire to use for a high) but a couple of years ago I used to use these meds to get high and would go through dealers. I used to pay 30 dollars for 10 20 mg Ritalin LA's, 40 dollars for 10 20mg Ritalin IR's, 15 dollars for 5 1mg ativans, and 20 dollars for 5 Vicodin 750s. so for ten Ritalin LA's, 10 Ritalin IR's, 5 Ativan and 5 vicodin I would easily spend 105 dollars. now for 48 dollars total a month, I get 60 20 mg Ritalin LA's, 30 20mg Ritalin IR's, 30 1mg ativans, and 120 vicodin 750s. basically I get 900 dollars worth of pills on the black market for 48 bucks a month. wowza. anyway, sorry for the long rant, Ritalin makes me want to write and write and write but I will never understand anyone who describes benzos as being euphoric. opiates and amphetamines to me are very euphoric but even if I take like 5mg of Ativan or 100mg of valium, all I notice is I can barely keep my eyes open, my body is relaxed and my head feels sort of light, but theres deffinately no euphoria. maybe if I mixed it with alcohol, but last time I mixed benzos and booze it was DISASTOROUS. took 2mg of Ativan (two pills) out of a full bottle of 30, drank six beers over the course of like 3 hours and went to bed. when I woke up there was vomit EVERYWHERE, along with a completely empty bottle of Ativan, 6 empty beers (for a grand total of 12) and 3 empty bottles of wine. needless to say im very lucky to be alive and also needless to say I will never use this combo again.

can anyone explain to me what a true really good benzo high feels like. ive been taking benzos for quite some time, usually as prescribed but there are times ive taken like 10mg of Xanax, Ativan or like 100mg of valium and while I deffinately feel relaxed and drowsy (and maybe even a little dizzy) its not what I would call a high or a particularly enjoyable experience. this question is meant for someone who's drugs of choice are benzos, like what do you like about them. I have NEVER gotten any euphoria off of any benzo at any dose. now opiates and amphetamines on the other hand make me feel like a million bucks.

I snorted I'm not sure which mg, they were supposed to be xanax bars and as soon as I saw them I went "WTF IS THIS" good thing I didn't pay.

Anyway on topic. I can't say anything about xanax I have a natural tolerance which a doctor falt out told me is impossible but it has to be the case.

Anyway Ativan to me was like a nice mellow buzz, not something you can get fucked up on. Something like how some people come home and have a beer after a hard day at work. It just gives you a mild buzz and relaxes you about it. At higher doses maybe it helps quit a bit more but I'm not sure.

the doctor probably didn't mention this, but a reason you may have had a tolerance to benzodiazepines without ever having taken them is if you have a high alcohol tolerance as they both work similarly on the gaba receptors. also it depends on what you're expecting. before I realized that benzos, opiates and amphetamines all have different feelings and effects and just thought pills that could potentially get you high all did so the same way, I was VERY disappointed when I took my first klonopin. before I was prescribed klonopin I had developed a strong love for vicodin and other opiates but since I wasn't in pain I couldn't get any. I did have high anxiety though so I got a script of klonopin and took a couple thinking I would get that warm blanket opiate euphoria. needless to say I was extrememly disappointed. so yeah, basically just depends on what you expect to get out of the drug

I once took Ativan about 20 years ago and i was totally outa my nut. I was used to valium and rohypnol and tuinol at the time so I had a reasonable tolerance but I took about two or three Ativan and I was all over the place. I've no idea what strength they were, if I remember correctly they were blue and a sort of diamond or triangle shape. I have'nt heard of them for years, I'm surprised they are still about.
If anyone says they took Ativan and didn't feel anything, I definately would not believe them, unless they were stitched up and really took asperin or something.

I don't know this for a fact, BUT you said they were sort of triangle shaped and blue. that sounds more like the 1mg Xanax to me.

K'd... perhaps you should spend some more time educating yourself. This is in no way a direct insult, but with the way you type (spelling, punctuation, etc.) and the way you act... it's certainly not giving you any credibility. Do you think your personal experience is somehow superior to scientific/clinical studies? Can you tell us your qualifications and why we should take your word as the absolute truth?

I'm sorry, what is your question?

I agree with both of you to a point. yes scientific research is of course stating the facts but that dosent mean personal experience should be ruled out at all. everyones body is effected by different meds differently. for example, some swear by valium but it does nothing for me, while others claim Ativan is crap and it works well for me. to each their own.

I know this is an old thread but I'm curious. I've always hated valium so my doctor had me on a bar of xanex a day. To feel better I took more but I just told her today the bar a day isn't working for me so I just got switched to ativan. Do you think it will help like taking the 4 mg of xanex I usually do daily?

ATIVAN (Lorazepam) is an excellent benzo.
Very relaxing, it doesn't slap you in the face like XANAX (Alprazolam) does.

I would say ATIVAN (Lorazepam) is like a mixture of KLONOPIN (Clonazepam) and VALIUM (Diazepam).

My favorite benzos in order,

1. Diazepam
2. Clonazepam
3. Lorazepam
4. Alprazolam

Clonazepam, alprazolam and lorazepam all are high potency benzos, with lorazepam the weakest on weight basis. The first two are about equipotent, although alprazolam may look more potent due to prompt action and more pronounced sedation. Lorazepam for some people is highly hypnotic, it is sometimes prescribed as hypnotic. Diazepam looks for me as an universal benzo, with quite balanced anxiolytic, hypnotic and myorelaxant actions.
Suffering long time from panic attacks can say, clonazepam is #1 panic preventer and alprazolam - #1 panic stopper. Read hundreds of articles regarding this issue and would say clonazepam is winning a little bit in panic situations because of long half life and the ease to maintain steady concentratio.

my personal list
1.diazepam if i could chew them like candy all the time i would and makes me feel loopy as fuck and euphoric
2.xanax instantly stops a panic attack clear headed not much of a rush or euphoria
3.ativan feels like a mild buzz similar to a mild alcohol buzz not really something i wanna take if i gotta do something important plus it alters my cognitive functions

I find ativan worse than useless. The only time I've ever gotten ativan was like once a day in hospitals so I couldn't sue them for causing me to have seizures because they ALWAYS refuse to give me my 3 mgs of daily Klonopin (clonazepam).

After getting out of a long hospital stay where I went through opiate withdrawals AND BENZO WITHDRAWALS SIMULTANEOUSLY due to their capricious sadism, I now only get 1 mg of Klonopin daily. Ativan doesn't even help my anxiety. Even the strongest of benzos only help my anxiety/panic--purely medically useful, no euphoric effects, but then again, I'm totally numb from PTSD; I can't even feel opiate highs--no idea what it feels like even though I'm on them!