• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How does Ativan compare to Xanax, Valium, and Klonopin?

Older thread, but as I read the rules they say use the search engine before posting a new thread, so I did and found what I was looking for.

I've had Chronic Anxiety, Agorphobia, Insomnia, and night terrors.

Ive been Rx'd all the common benzos...

Klonopin
Ativan
Valium
Xanax

I found that Ativan was the perfect benzo for me.
It peaks quick, I love taking it sublingually, and it's extremely relaxing.

Xanax makes me too sleepy.
Klonopin was pretty good, but still made me too sleepy like the Xanax.
Valium was AMAZING... I like it better than Ativan overall.
Arivan and Valium are REALLY similar to me.. Except the half lives are 100% different.
Valium's Half life is 80-100 hours. While Ativans half life is 12-18 hours.
I also found Diazepam to be more euphoric overall.

The ONLY reason why I didn't keep/choose Valium over Ativan is because of how much of the drug can be scripted.
My psychiatrist made it clear that 40mg is the MAXIMUM DOSE PER DAY for Valium. He said Valium is often too abused.. It's like a long acting Xanax to him..

So it was either getting,
Valium 10mg 4x daily,
OR
Ativan 2mg 4x daily..

I had to go with the 'more benzos'.. That's obviously Ativan, since 1mg Ativan is equivalent to 10mg Valium.

My dream Benzo script is Valium 10mg 2 tablets 4x daily... Total of 80mg.. But that's not happening anytime soon, haha.

^Valium and Ativan have that dreamy or slightly psychedelic type of effect because of their hypnotic properties.

I like Xanax but its just a strong sedative and it doesn't have that trippy effect, overall Lorazepam is better hands down.

^Valium and Ativan have that dreamy or slightly psychedelic type of effect because of their hypnotic properties.

I like Xanax but its just a strong sedative and it doesn't have that trippy effect, overall Lorazepam is better hands down.
Hell yes it is.

Diazepam and Lorazepam are by far the best and most euphoric Benzos.

Plus for me Ativan feels waaaay stronger than Xanax at higher doses, while its the contrary on lower doses. The benzo conversion chart states that 1mg Xanax = 0.5mg Ativan

But with 2.5mg of Xanax I'm high, although I'm still capable of holding normal conversations. While with 5mg of Ativan I'm a complete zombie. In order to have the desired recreational effects I usually take 3-4mg max. of Ativan.

I guess the conversion charts aren't really accurate and people generally react differently between Benzos.

Last edited: