• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How does Ativan compare to Xanax, Valium, and Klonopin?

i think them equivalency charts are inaccurate, from my own personal experience. It says that 10mg of valium = .5 xanax/.5 klonopin.....i have been on Klonopin, Xanax, Ativan, and Valium throughout the years, and when it comes to me taking a .5 of xanax, i feel NOTHING, when i take 10mg of valium, i do feel SOMETHING alot more then .5 xanax. for what it's worth my doctor, whom is 61yrs old, been in the medical field since the late 70's; told me that 10mg of valium is right around equivalent to 1mg of xanax/1mg klonopin. Im on valium right now, he tapered me off of 4mg daily xanax by using valium, and with that experience im confident to say 10mg valium =1mg xanax...along with years of being on benzo's...listen to ur body not the charts
I would also (based on personal experiance, not charts) say one mg of xanax, ativan, or klonopin is close enough to 10 mgs valium I seriosly dought I could tell them apart if I didn't know which I'd taken, other than the duration. Off topic a little, do any of you get visuals off high doses of ativan? I don't, but I know a couple people who swear they do. One refuses to take them for this reason, the other loves it so much she will literally turn tricks for them.

I prefer Lorazepan to xanax & Valium....

and they taste better than both of them..... Kinda Grapefruit-ish

Im pretty sure 1mg of lorazepam=10mg's of diazepam or atleast thats what just about every chart out there says. It's more potent then diazepam but i don't find it nearly as recreational or even as usful for anxiety or whatever.

Potency has nothing to do with euphoria. Temazepam is a pretty weak benzo 20mg's of temazepam=10mg's of diazepam but many people out there including myself find it to be the most euphoric benzo.

If potency had everything to do with recreational potential alot more people would rather fentanyl then heroin or hydromorphone but thats not the case now is it.

yes, i also find diazepam to be much more recreational than lorazepam. But that says nothing about lorazepam's therapeutic advantages.
Lorazepam is as good of an anxiolytic as diazepam, it's definitely among the top anxiolytics among benzos.
it's a far more powerful anticonvulsant than diazepam aswell.

its shit for recreational purposes, but it's a therapeutic powerhouse.

I have been prescribed thirty 1 mg activan... (to take at bedtime)

I'm coming off opiates...

can I take it to kick the mental urge?

I just picked up the script haven't tried it yet...

I only have a few lortabs left (was doing oxys, couldn't get any though), and I've been trying to ween myself off of oxy/lortabs...

was doing between 40mg - 120 mg... I've taken 10 mg of oxycodone and 10 mg of lortab today and I feel pretty good so far...

trying to kick the mental part of it is what is killing me, but I'm trying my best...

^^^ Ativan will help some especially if you arent benzo tolerant. It should help calm you down but benzos don't really help with opiate cravings.

IMO, Ativan ranks way below any of them. But that's b/c IME when I took it, it literally did nothing, no matter the dosage I took.

I guess it really does vary person to person.

Ativan is only really recreational / euphoric when you have a lot on your mind. You can't so much just take it to feel good if you're already in an okay mood.

I agree IME that Ativan is very useful for anxiety relief, and I find 2-3 mg after an addy binge to be the most helpful in trying to unwind and quickly sleep it off. It allows me to feel anxiety-free without the sedation of my Xanax. However if I'm going to some sort of gathering and want to enjoy myself I find Xanax to be more recreational and lower my inhibitions a great deal more than Ativan. Conversion charts are helpful but the dose to dose ratios do not include the list of different properties each benzo has. Such as the muscle relaxant properties of Valium being greater then those of Xanax and such. So depending on the results expected from the DOC of course one will feel stronger in a certain property desired than those from another benzo regardless of dose.

Ativan is the only benzo I know which have particularly BIZARRE effects at not too high dosage (at least on me). One of them is perfect blackout. Another one is inability to eat for about 24hrs. Some people seem to allucinate on it, though I've never had any. Right now, I'm on 4mg klono plus 1mg flunitrazepam - I live in Brazil, we get tons of any benzo you name except Halcyon from any GP. Unfortunately, my Lorax (that's what we call Wyeth Ativan here) has finished recently.

^ That's kind of odd, I've never experienced any blackout from ativan, what type of dose were you taking when this happened?

i think them equivalency charts are inaccurate, from my own personal experience. It says that 10mg of valium = .5 xanax/.5 klonopin.....i have been on Klonopin, Xanax, Ativan, and Valium throughout the years, and when it comes to me taking a .5 of xanax, i feel NOTHING, when i take 10mg of valium, i do feel SOMETHING alot more then .5 xanax. for what it's worth my doctor, whom is 61yrs old, been in the medical field since the late 70's; told me that 10mg of valium is right around equivalent to 1mg of xanax/1mg klonopin. Im on valium right now, he tapered me off of 4mg daily xanax by using valium, and with that experience im confident to say 10mg valium =1mg xanax...along with years of being on benzo's...listen to ur body not the charts

Thanks for this post. IME Valium just makes me yawn all day, tired as fuck, and does little else for me.. so much that it's not even worth taking. I've been on 5mg and now even on just 2mg once a day and even that was enough to make me feel tired and worthless all day long. I can see it being a decent medication for a panic attack, but as for something that I can take during the daytime to help with social anxiety as well as GAD it's basically crap (again.. IME). I was wondering if anyone knew of the benzo with the least amount of sedative effects. :\

Thanks everyone.

Oh and xanax doesn't work for me very well either.. I tend to black out on it at. That and no one will prescribe it to me anymore cause I burnt through my script too fast. I had to go somewhere else completely.. but like an idiot I told them xanax didn't work for me. It wasn't just the blacking out/mind eraser effect of it, everything tasting really weird on that drug. All in all though it was my favorite to get fucked up on.. but I really need something that I can take everyday for therapeutic purposes.

Last edited:
^ Che, be careful, as benzo dependency occurs very quickly. I have a source that says dependency to Ativan (lorazepam) can occur after just 7 days of consecutive use. I have no personal experience with benzo dependency, but the withdrawal can be life-threatening when compared to the opioids you are trying to come off of.

And unfortunately, everyone is correct when they say that Ativan is not going to take away opioid cravings. :-(

For me.

Klonopin for daily anxiety, prevent panic attacks.

Ativan is a great muscle relaxer. Good for insomnia and when you need a extra boost of anti-anxiety.

Please don't drive on Ativan lol.

I don't like Xanax, does nothing for me. Never tried diazepam.

Everyone is reacts so different to drugs. Just try it.

Sedating Benzos

It's quite entertaining to find that Xanax causes memory loss, amnesia and blackout for many users. I feel that its one of the most stimulating benzos, and I find that it works quick and subtly, comes on at just the right time, you don't even notice, but it it completely for Panic Attacks, stricly mental and therapeutic. I dont find it recreational at all. I take 1mg three times a day.
Now, Klonopin is one of the most sedating benzos i have ever been on. It it about 85% body relaxation, seizure control, and if any memory loss comes, its form the klonopin. It makes me feel asleep, but awake type of thing. I can still feel the panic under my chest if I don't take something for panic, but it is good for anxiety, and bodily stress.
Ativan is like a perfect blend in between xanax and klonopin. It had mild withdrawal effects (If used at therapeutic doses), and is makes you feel like you are relieved. It relaxes the muscles and lasts about one day. 50% body 50% mental.
Xanax would be 90% mental, 10% bodily<<(only because of the panic relif).
IME. Thank u 8)

^ That's kind of odd, I've never experienced any blackout from ativan, what type of dose were you taking when this happened?
I blacked out at someones apartment, went into a coma state and started talking jibberish all while I didnt know.

I also noticed the last time I took ativan I DID hallucinate....things were moving like waves...it wasn't fun.

I blacked out at someones apartment, went into a coma state and started talking jibberish all while I didnt know.

I also noticed the last time I took ativan I DID hallucinate....things were moving like waves...it wasn't fun.

Way back in the day, back in high school Ativan would as well give me hallucinations. Similar to ambien. Pretty strange.

I prefer Klonopin though, perfect benzo, right in the middle of valium and xanax. Xanax just gets me into trouble. Ah. GOod tiomes though, good times.

ime, xanax is the most sedating, valium is somewhat less sedating and both cause extreme bitchiness after using 4-6mg/day of xanax or 30-40mg/day of valium for 3 or 4 days.
ativan is basically useless and doesn't really have any effect on me at all.
however, for me, klonopin is the perfect benzo. i experience very little sedation. 1mg under my tongue relieves moderate anxiety w/in 20-30 minutes. if i'm really lit up, i'll take 2mgs. i've had no negative side effects, no w/d feelings but i intentionally do not take it every day. i've had an Rx for around 15 years and it works great for me w/out causing problems.
interesting to see the wide spectrum of experiences ppl have w/ benzos.
-izzy

These threads are somewhat pointless, people react differently to different benzos. What works for jack doesn't always work for Jill. For example I do react like izzy66 very similarly to all those above (without any bitchiness), though require higher does.

BrokedownPalace hallucinates on Ativan, a whole pack of them would be like eating sugar cubes to me.

delinquent_who finds Xanax to be the most stimulating whilst izzy66 and I find it to be the most sedating (unless you start going into Flunitrazepam/Tamazepam land, presumably).

Some people think Tamazepam is the greatest recreational substance ever made for combination and to me it's a boring sleeping pill with no recreational value whatsoever.

Peoples reactions to benzo's probably don't vary as widely as they do to THC and you will see common themes occurring, but that doesn't mean YOU will react those ways to those substances.

Agreed. And yes temazepam and valium are also both sedating, though I find the first few hours after taking valium, a sense of clarity and focus, but not edgy in any way. But again, that just my reaction. I have Panic Disorder stemming from a blood condition. Before trying any benzo, my resting heart rate is around 130 *resting* unmedicated. Paranoid delisions, Insomnia, nightmares, severe pain, so I react different sometimes than others due to the fact that I need this medication to feel normal, I get it legitimately, don't worry. Haha.
I can also use medical cannabis without any sleepiness at all, and hardly any muchy feel! We all react differently! Just take it slow at first. Peace, Love. Ganja!

Ativan is very subtle. It is a weaker anxiolytic compared to the other more potent benzodiazepines like clonazepam and alprazolam. It doesn't make for a good hypnotic either. It does have good myorelaxant qualities. If I take enough, in which I need well over 6mg to get anything out of it, I feel relaxed from my head to my toes. I no longer have aches or tension. Better than clonazepam and alprazolam for this reason but I find Diazepam to be the superior benzodiazepine for muscle relaxation.

From a 1-5 scale I'd rate the following (IMO):

Clonazepam

Generalized anxiety - 5
Panic Disorder - 3
Myorelaxant - 4
Anticonvulsant - 5
Hypnotic - 3

Alprazolam

Generalized anxiety - 2
Panic Disorder - 5
Myorelaxant - 3
Anticonvulsant - 2
Hypnotic - 2

Diazepam

Generalized anxiety - 3
Panic Disorder - 2
Myorelaxant - 5
Anticonvulsant - 5
Hypnotic - 3

Lorazepam

Generalized anxiety - 3
Panic Disorder - 2
Myorelaxant - 4
Anticonvulsant - 4
Hypnotic - 2

my favorite is xanax. if i'm on a stim comedown it's awesome. but if i'm limited on how many i have i wait as long as i can before i take it...i've taken it too early, had it wear off and then felt the stim comedown and was not able to sleep.

if i had to pick one i'd go with kpins probably, but xanax is awesome.