How do YOU cope with your anxiety?

Workout, breathing (count to 4 while not breathing, then count to 4 while slowly breathing in, hold breathe for 4 seconds, then slowly exhale and count to 4, repeat) that helps me usually. Eat healthy, watch a good movie, hangout with friends. That's what really helps me out.

Dextrodoctor, larger Forgeworld models tend to warp a lot. I used 6 hours to correct the shape of my Spartan for my Iron Hands.
I've recently started Horus Heresy army and it keeps getting quite expensive and time consuming...

That model is actually a conversion for my Skitarii, see the unlucky servitorized guardsman in front of that thing :p I tried to get as ugly camouflage theme as I could and it worked out quite well. Used new Citadel Air range paints for that as I got them a little time ago.

Dark Angels are nice. I have thought about putting up a Ravenwing list soon(tm)... One of my best rivals has Dark Angels army and it always pleasure to play against.

Do you have any other armies? Marines are my main army and I have +2500 points Iron Hands and a total of ~8000pts of Space Marines painted in different chapters. Cult Mechanicus and Skitarii are my second main army with +4000 points worth of them. I actually have ~2000 points worth of every other army than Daemons and Dark Angels.

I help the entrepreneur of our locam friendly gaming store and get quite good discounts so I have managed to sustain my plastic crack habit :) I also have a lot of spare time since I am disabled veteran so I can build and paint a lot so the armies tend to grow quickly. Deathwatch is my next project.

I like this discussion. :)

Mr Root said:
One of the waking moments in my life was my daughter saying "Daddy get your drugs you are not like my daddy now.".

'From the mouths of babes...' I just wanted to say, that would have been very moving. Kids can give razor-sharp advice. :)

Thank you I'll look into it, alot of stupid shit I kinda realised that it's not doing me any good so I have stopped, but to answer you're question I have occasionally done dxm, trammys, codeine, hyoscine, and just anything else that got me high, I'm worried I might have fucked my head up somewhere along the line because I feel alot different then I did before, but now I can't tell the difference

Mainly my health, whenever I get a strange feeling in my body I think it's life threatning and my anxiety always makes it worse, I honestly don't know if Its anxiety or if I actually have something wrong with me, like on the ride home from my sisters my fingers started tingling, I tried to keep calm at first but I couldn't my mind kept coming to stupid conclusions like I have a brain tumor or my circulation was stopping and my heart was gonna, after thinking about all of this the tingling went all over my body and Myou fingers locked up and I could no longer control them and at this point I thought it was athritus or something and I started to cry, but as soon as my parents pulled over and went inside I felt much better until the next day, yesterday, at school where I kept on having to leave the class room and come back for tingly fingers cos I didn't wanna lock up again

@MrRoot, I do believe we would have been close friends if we lived in the same towne as we share many of the same interests (mtg, cars, miniatures, drugs ;).

What your daughter said must have been a huge attention getter. I know i have been called out by loved ones in the past telling me to go use because I was difficult to be around - I do t have children but it still hurt. I could only imagine the devestation to hear that from your child.

@15yearoldonadrugfo - odds are you didn't do permenant damage so try not to stress about it. Phisiologically you have a lot going on right now. You would probably feel different if you weren't using drugs with all the hormone changes etc. Regarding your physical symptoms - tingling fingers etc, it could be anxiety as anxiety tends to increase your blood pressure, sometime substantially which can certainly cause tingling extremities. If you lead an unhealthy life (poor diet, overweight, certain drugs), this is more likely to happen. At anyrate I do think you should discuss this with a doctor as you are way to young to have blood pressure issues and you should get that checked out. It will also be a good opportunity for you to discuss your anxiety and get treatment, you shouldn't have to suffer with chronic debilitating anxiety.

Moreaux, I truly believe we could be friends easily IRL. Too bad there is a distance between but luckily there is always BL :)
What I heard from my daughter was a huge wake up call and after my divorce I had been trying to be in a good shape when seeing my daughter. Luckily we could work out how often I can see my daughter without any court drama involved.

I wasn't even interested to argue about how we share our stuff except for my miniatures. I gave up our newest car to my ex as well as dishwasher, huge tv etc. stuff as they needed them much more and I could just easily get newer bit less expensive stuff myself after we split our property. There is still few months of repentancy time in which we can cancel our divorce but that won't happen without miracle.

I feel a lot less anxious now when we don't live together although it hurts to think how our divorce affects our daughter but currently me and my ex are on a friendly footing luckily and can talk about how often I can see our daughter and it is currently more than what it is on custody agreement. For me getting this stuff together has lessened my anxiety levels a lot.

You people should have seen the face of the notariary who accepted our property dividing papers when he looked to the papers and checked the price for my miniatures and MtG cards :)

Puffpuffwee, we don't SWIM here :)

Moreaux, I truly believe we could be friends easily IRL. Too bad there is a distance between but luckily there is always BL :)
What I heard from my daughter was a huge wake up call and after my divorce I had been trying to be in a good shape when seeing my daughter. Luckily we could work out how often I can see my daughter without any court drama involved.

I wasn't even interested to argue about how we share our stuff except for my miniatures. I gave up our newest car to my ex as well as dishwasher, huge tv etc. stuff as they needed them much more and I could just easily get newer bit less expensive stuff myself after we split our property. There is still few months of repentancy time in which we can cancel our divorce but that won't happen without miracle.

I feel a lot less anxious now when we don't live together although it hurts to think how our divorce affects our daughter but currently me and my ex are on a friendly footing luckily and can talk about how often I can see our daughter and it is currently more than what it is on custody agreement. For me getting this stuff together has lessened my anxiety levels a lot.

You people should have seen the face of the notariary who accepted our property dividing papers when he looked to the papers and checked the price for my miniatures and MtG cards :)

Puffpuffwee, we don't SWIM here :)

Sometimes miracles do happen - I hope everything works out for the best. That's great that you're on good terms - that is so much healthier for your daughter. I think having some resolution for better or worse is easier to deal with than everything being in flux and having no certainties. There have been some times leading up to events that I dreaded and struggled with that we're absolutely killing me until they finally happened and then it was such a relief when it was over.

Regarding your gaming stuff - people have no idea the value of some of that stuff. Years ago I had an entire set of Unlimited MTG cards along with several Rare Betas and other Type 1 stuff and decided to sell them to buy a house...I made thousands of dollars. At the time my roommates thought I was full of it when I said the Black Lotus itself was worth a couple grand up until it sold. I miss that game, I've thought about teaching my husband to play as I still have my old decks minus power cards and duals. Good times.

walking, deep breathing, and listening to Abraham Hicks on youtube

A friend of mine has suggested painting. She creates abstract, textural paintings that look awesome. But, she does these to relax. She says it is effective. I am just not very artistic. Playing music seems to help, though if I try and actively write music, I can get very tense and anxious.

I work a lot, so I'm around a lot of people at any given time. I have struggled with social anxiety for my entire life, although I believe I have gotten better over the last 4-5 years. One thing I try to do is force myself into having conversations people, regardless of whether I feel like it or not. My job can become extremely isolated at times, and I've found being alone or lost in my own thoughts for too long makes it much harder to quell the feelings of anxiety when I do talk to people. Work is where I socialize because I don't really have a life outside of it, sad enough to say.

Anyway; I try to put on a somewhat false sense of confidence even though it doesn't always seem right. It's just one of the ways I've learned to cope. Exercise helps tremendously with my anxiety too. If I find myself too stressed out at work I'll hit up the weight room really quick and even a quick set of heavy weights lifts my mood/anxiety a lot. Of course I take clonazepam daily too, but to end this post I've found that reading a book really does calm down my mind when I'm around people.

^Its interesting what you say. I think that we can almost trick ourselves into feeling less anxious. I get social anxiety that is really unpredictable but have experienced it since I was an adolescent. Its definitely gotten better, through both putting on the confident front and by realigning and relearning my reactions and distorted thought process. One thing that helped me was to become aware of how incredibly common social anxiety is; in social exchanges, most people spend the time concerned with how they come across and less so on the behaviiour of the other party. I certainly do that :). So many of the people I know experience it, obvsiouly to different degrees, but some of the people really surprised me. My brother is a gregarious, hyper-social, extroverted, life of the party guy, always ready with a thoughtful comment and disarming joke (he is also extremely mentally unstable but anyway) but has told me that he experiences a lot of unease and uncertainty in such situations and enjoys overcoming it by ploughing straight ahead. He uses the fake-it-till-you-make-it technique. I think it can definitely work. I just find it very fatiguing.

<Snip> No triggering content permitted in this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Puffpuffwee, you understand that you are writing this nonsense to a Recovery Support section of Bluelight? Have you read the triggering content guidelines?

Stop acting like a jerk and trolling around this board.

Yeah self-irony works well in social situations, also in general against self-hatred. Society is basically a tragicomedy. You decide how much tragic and how much comedy you want (to an extend).

I don't think there is much one can do against anxiety, when already exposed to a human crowd. But you can prevent it a lot via exhaustive (endurance) sports to the point where excessive adrenaline (etc.) was already released during the exercise and afterwards only endorphins and generally relaxing transmitters are floating around.

Good replies thus far.

I don't actually see benzo's or opiate as a positive adaptation. They will reduce the sympoms, but I think we need to look long-term. Benzo's and opiates lose efficacy and can cause an increase in the symptoms one was using them for. Given that life itself is what we would call 'long term', I think our treatments need to reflect this.

I think the release of endorphins and than other monoamines like adrenaline, noradrenaline and downstream effect on dopamine are some of the physiological effects of exercise.

I think what you said is very accurate. Spot on!

Benzos do work for a while and the same does apply for opiates but the process of addiction ends with your life in one way or the other. At some point you'll be calm only when you use them and it's impossible to keep using drugs forever, except maybe for some people like myself that have tried it with Methadone and Suboxone, but after 7-8 years I couldn't handle it anymore.

From my experience anxiety is inherent is present in most people and some can manage with it better than the others. As you age, I think we learn to calm down. I started to give less importance to things that used to make me so stressful. At my job if I'm too stressed I learned to dialogue with my superiors and noticed that if you are well prepared and have genuine and truthful arguments people will hear you. I used to feel I had to be the best, the most productive ever. The first to arrive, the last to leave and that made me a very stressful person. I don't do this anymore. It was killing me. And I felt I would soon relapse.

Another thing that makes me much more calm is the routine practice of exercises. Sometimes I'm tired and very reluctant to start but always when I'm done I'm in a better mood and happier.

Appreciate the family I have. I have started to listened to people more often, really try to see what they are saying before acting. My son is still a teenager and he's often very idealist and sometimes he swears something is right when I know it isn't. But I was like that and his son will probably be like that. I try to talk to him, point out my life experience and even when that does not work I don't get upset I simply play along knowing that this is a process. With my wife I still try to be patient. I can't argue every day with her so sometimes silence is the best thing and when I see a window of an opportunity I try to discuss, I have actully learnt that with her. And it seems to be working much better these days.

The only thing which remains a problem for me is my sleeping routine. I have tried everything but I wake up many time during the night. It could be my breathing but I have done nothing about that. I'm tired of doctors and I can't stand some of the medications they give me, like Seroquel. It's not worth having a good night of sleep when you can't enjoy the next the day because you are drowsy. Smaller dosages don't work. Exercises help but do not solve the problem. I guess I have had insomnia for so long that I got used to that and I know this is not healthy. I do drink teas, warm milk, exercise and there are great nights but more than half of I just get 3 to 5 interrupted hours of sleep.

if only I could learn to cope with my anxiety iv been on clonazepam for 3 years but I'm tapering off so well see how I cope.

That's my secret.... I'm always anxious. I just practice conditioning my mind. When I start to have panic attacks, it's as if my thoughts are overwhelming me. Attacking. The only thing I can do is practice silencing my thoughts as if I were pulling a plug from a radio. It's not easy, but it ain't easy being breezy.