• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids How do I distinguish codeine and morphine from their effects? / Alkaloids in poppy tea

typically in stage 2 or 3 withdrawal, i'd have to double my dose, itd knock me out, but i'd be in a deep as fuck nod, its not something to boast about in my opinion, yeah pills.
From your experience how long would you say it takes to 'taper off' the tolerance?

From your experience how long would you say it takes to 'taper off' the tolerance?
tolerance drops FAST. and i mean fast. 2 weeks, and just taking the bare minimum will still lower your tolerance , i know after a week of being coked out/cracked out wtv you wana call it, my dose typically knocks me out because my tolerance is lowered but i'm always cautious because even 3-7 days makes a severe difference, you'll see

infact if you don't use for 2 weeks, you can probably use half or 1/3 of what you were, but tolerance develops quicker when the mind know what to expect

I know that we can't share sources but you can find dried poppy pods online from Turkey and it's very inexpensive. They send international as well and pods are pretty potent. As said before, seeds are really a gamble which is dangerous with opiates. On the other hand, with pods, you know that they won't be bunk as long as they're Papaver Somniferum.
I also think that warm/ hot tea hits you much quicker than a cold one. It sometimes can be a bit scary when you expect the effects after 30-40 minutes and it hits you within 15 minutes. It's always a good idea to try a small dose when you get a new batch and wait no less than 2 hours especially if it's a new batch.

tolerance drops FAST. and i mean fast. 2 weeks, and just taking the bare minimum will still lower your tolerance , i know after a week of being coked out/cracked out wtv you wana call it, my dose typically knocks me out because my tolerance is lowered but i'm always cautious because even 3-7 days makes a severe difference, you'll see
Severe difference can be something one might be chasing after in some scenarios, but as you say 2 days off is still probably not going to do it so to speak even in these kind of cases, I think your words can still be generally applicable.
I know that we can't share sources but you can find dried poppy pods online from Turkey and it's very inexpensive. They send international as well and pods are pretty potent. As said before, seeds are really a gamble which is dangerous with opiates. On the other hand, with pods, you know that they won't be bunk as long as they're Papaver Somniferum.
I also think that warm/ hot tea hits you much quicker than a cold one. It sometimes can be a bit scary when you expect the effects after 30-40 minutes and it hits you within 15 minutes. It's always a good idea to try a small dose when you get a new batch and wait no less than 2 hours especially if it's a new batch.
From my experience pods didn't seem to have any real benefits over the the seeds, somewhat cleaner effects perhaps, but it still never hit me hard enough. It could be because of the strain. Don't forget that pods are illegal at some places you can even end up in jail for possession, seeds on the other hand are perfectly legal.

I'm not even accustomed to harder opiates or opiates in general and pods barely did anything to me other than a slight mood shift. I can recall my dose being at least 5-6 large tablespoons of ground pods, with some lemon juice and zero tolerance. Not even a buzz. They were not fully mature pods so if they had anything in them it would have been more morphine, less codeine. Seeds to me actually do seem to provide more of a buzz, but when speaking of the buzz, I have to mention many negative side effects, because they do have a big part in it.

I can recall my dose being at least 5-6 large tablespoons of ground pods, with some lemon juice and zero tolerance.
If that much did nothing to you, as you said not even a buzz, those were either not the right plant or some modified strand. I am an ex long term intravenous heroin and I get fucked up properly with just 2 full table spoons of dried powdered pods. At the moment I have opium dependency of around 0,5 grams a day and I haven't been able to find any for the last 3 weeks but I use pods instead. I get a nod with 6 pods.
So you need to change the place that you get the pods from.

If that much did nothing to you, as you said not even a buzz, those were either not the right plant or some modified strand. I am an ex long term intravenous heroin and I get fucked up properly with just 2 full table spoons of dried powdered pods. At the moment I have opium dependency of around 0,5 grams a day and I haven't been able to find any for the last 3 weeks but I use pods instead. I get a nod with 6 pods.
So you need to change the place that you get the pods from.
Too bad, I did try believe me, but I wouldn't have ended up posting this thread if that was happening. I might have some, who knows. I did read something like this about them before I had it, but afterwards I was like that's gotta be just one of those stories, you know. It didn't give me any milk, it was bad times. But I licked a tiny bit of black from the knife that I got from it and it got me too. No I'm just making it up. Never doing that again. Thankfully I'm not craving it and my tolerance is still nothing cause pods aren't as readily available. Or maybe it's just unnaturally high?? I doubt it though.
Cold water seems to preferentially extract morphine and codeine over thebaine and the other alkaloids, since morphine dissolves readily in cold water (where thebaine and etc doesn't as easily). Still hot water will rinse off more morphine overall, so the overall yield will be better using hot water, but the higher levels of thebaine and minor alkaloids will cause more side-effects (nausea, anxiety, sleeplessness etc). For me the side-effects are worth the higher morphine levels so I prefer hot water.
How about boiling it, have you tried that? I'm gonna go off thread again now...

1 g of morphine dissolves in 5 l of room temperature water and in around 1 l of boiling water. Morphine lacks affinity for water, although using heated water for extraction does increase its solubility. It can be assumed that codeine base is more soluble in boiling water as well. No exact facts can be stated, as this is not codeine in salt form which is used in pills.

Neither extraction in heated neutral water, or extraction in room temperature acidic water will yield a significant difference in morphine/codeine, compared to extraction in neutral water in room temperature alone. But it is possible that if the heated and acidic factors are combined, it will cause an increase in both morphine and codeine yields compared to room temperature neutral.

However, acidic extractions significantly increase thebaine yield compared to neutral extractions. Thebaine has a low solubility in water. Extracting thebaine in an acidic environment increases thebaine’s affinity for aqueous solutions. This explains why acidic extractions are most effective at increasing thebaine yield.

Thebaine's boiling point is well below that of water, at 64,7°, while the boiling point of morphine and codeine base is significantly higher. Boiling the tea may or may not have more negative side effects to it, still it is debatable if that's caused by thebaine.

The side effects could be the cause of junk due to boiling or better the cause of side effects may be junk due to boiling

Last edited:
Severe difference can be something one might be chasing after in some scenarios, but as you say 2 days off is still probably not going to do it so to speak even in these kind of cases, I think your words can still be generally applicable.

From my experience pods didn't seem to have any real benefits over the the seeds, somewhat cleaner effects perhaps, but it still never hit me hard enough. It could be because of the strain. Don't forget that pods are illegal at some places you can even end up in jail for possession, seeds on the other hand are perfectly legal.
The right pods though, which are usually government controlled aka they control the growing harvesting and dispensing and they've developed pods with up to 80% morphine content, i forget the name because im completey blah i need to take some amps small edit - they are typically grown in Europe and Afghanistan, infact in afghanistan it makes more sense to grow opium than it does food because its worth more contributing to all the negatives but alass, the world will spin regardless, you have to want to make your way in life no one can do it for ya - lowering a tolerance is really really really difficult even tapering is, especially if you have pain issues that just multiplies how shitty it is 10 fold i know by hour 29 i was ready to rip my head off and throw it into the oven maybe just stick it in the microwave

As always, stay safe!
~Zonxx

You gotta stick in there man. You're Nearly Headless, Sir, that means something. Same goes for poppies. It's the essence of all nature. How long can you make it with your head intact plays a factor in your potency. But it all just comes around anyway. It comes. And goes. You decide! And you can pick. How long will you be stuck in one place. You have to move it, you are in control of all your receptors. That's something i think it's worth to consider. And you might not even be a man, Sir, I couldn't say that either. Sometimes you become only when you stick there... Sometimes you cease to be only when you stop. You can decide... when it begins.

Last edited:
I've dabbled in seed tea two years ago. It scared the hell out of me because I do not have high tolerance. I found it too sedating, and the fact that I can't properly gauge how strong the effects will be is terrifying with mild tolerance. There were so many alkloids my body couldn't process it appropriately and I was scratching myself all over 24/7 to the point that it killed any buzz I had. Is codeine more to morphine or oxycodone in effects? In theory I might be down to try brewing it again, but after all the horror stories of people avoiding vacations because the withdrawal is so decimating I figured the high is just not worth it. Everyone has said that heroin withdrawal is more mangable. I can't even imagine what a dark portal drinking seed tea regularly could bring. Instant way to get locked into suboxone use--which some say is very easy to get off of or insanely difficult. I suppose that depends on the sub doctor's tapering method and quality.

Not one person has recommended pod tea lol. You might get the FBI knocking at your door and you'd need to explain how they're for your "christmas wreath." But most importantly every single person has stated that the pods are too potent and even riskier than seed tea. Realistically, not many people have overdosed on seed tea. Otherwise, the government would be more limiting for unwashed seed use imo. It's more of a withdrawal tool for heroin users or a way to get higher after heroin stops working. I'm glad the public doesn't know about it per say. Otherwise, everyone might be having seed tea parties instead of alcohol parties!

Last edited:
I don't feel this stuff is a party drug. It's a relief medicine. The party part in it is that you're like a part of a party and it is the party. I do find it keeps my mind more focused, in essence. Blocks my mind from indulging in useless stuff that's boosting my dopamine in my usual day to day activities. Makes me see the reality of things. It can be enjoyable for a lack of a better word, if you're not gonna be doing anything useless while on it. So this way, I feel it can numb me out enough in regards to my behaviour that whatever stuff that normally feel like there is nothing enjoyable in them, It kinda does it for me. And chasing after it is an abuse, it's not the tea, it's you. This is just some stuff.

Poppy seed tea is actually pretty good stuff. I used to drink pod tea daily years ago (in fact I was addicted for a time) and always discounted poppy seed tea. In fact I once dumped 20+ pounds of seeds that I removed from dried pods because I thought it was worthless. Turns out the seeds are almost as good, and while it doesnt have the same intensely euphoric rush, the high lasts even longer. I also find the seed tea to be less sedating than pod tea. Seed tea is actually pretty great stuff, but if used too frequently, the withdrawal is pretty nasty (and takes a few days to materialize). Poppy seed tea withdrawal seems in some ways worse than poppy pod withdrawal.

Hot water for more morphine, cold water for codeine. As for the other alkaloids, wtf knows.

I am starting to question whatever it is I am getting high from. I made a seed brew and as It was coming on I was totally fucked. I felt like retarded, as I am about to have a fit or something. I couldn't seem to think straight, something hit me in the head that made me feel like I wasn't able to form a coherent sentence or talk. Then I had some deep realisations about how pathetic I am, very deep, life and death stuff. When it hit me fully it was kind of a release I felt it was very easy to breathe but my mind was foggy definitely felt psychoactive but it also felt like my mind was struggling with it at the same time I felt literally like I had a blackout and didn't know who the fuck I was anymore like some shaman stuff honestly not exactly my idea of opiates.

Probably missing codeine, the high felt very dry. No side effects other than a blackout feeling but it was nothing like a nod from opiates. No itchiness or anything typical, very unusual. Is this morphine or something else I don't know because, as I said already I am not acquainted with morphine. Strangely enough I still think this stuff is good and should be respected. I feel like it gives me wisdom. It makes me see how fucked up I am.

Last edited:
I am almost positive these described effects are of thebaine, what else can it be. But sadly no one here is going to help or could know otherwise. This batch is probably just dominated by thebaine. Kinda concerned about having seizures if I keep sipping on this there is a thread about this on the site this compoud is classified as toxic.

Last edited:
Hot water for more morphine, cold water for codeine. As for the other alkaloids, wtf knows.
So how do you know?

Some studies have been done on a number of batches to compare level of alkaloids extracted with different methods, thebaine is in all samples more present when room temerature acidified water was used compared to hot neutral water. So speaking from my own studies most likely this was not thebaine it could indeed have been morphine... oh man... it's not exactly like what I had expected it to be

Last edited: