• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids How do I distinguish codeine and morphine from their effects? / Alkaloids in poppy tea

KnowsNotWhatItMean

Bluelighter
What makes the difference? I don't mean scientific information, rather the effects. How would you tell the difference if you don't know which of the two you're taking?

codeine will have an 'up' feeling, and histamine release aka you'll get warm/hot and itchy, morphine does this too if you're not accustomed to medium to higher doses,

Ok let me say this, I've done my fare share of codeine before. I'm asking this because I've had some poppy seed tea the other day and it was relatively small amount but it definitely hit me in minutes like never before, I felt very euphoric and my mind was numb as heck and as I was talking the actual effects were obvious to me. It's been a couple of days since and I'm sipping tea from another batch of seeds, I've doubled the dose and still no effects other than some mild sedation? Could it be just a tolerance buildup?

It could be tolerance, when I did it a couple of days ago my tolerance was zero and I have done it twice within two days. Then yesterday I felt sick and had a bad headache (I usually never do) so I assumed that was some kind of a withdrawal, however it seemed to go away pretty fast so it could be unrelated. Some time off wouldn't hurt I guess.

It could be tolerance, when I did it a couple of days ago my tolerance was zero and I have done it twice within two days. Then yesterday I felt sick and had a bad headache (I usually never do) so I assumed that was some kind of a withdrawal, however it seemed to go away pretty fast so it could be unrelated. Some time off wouldn't hurt I guess.
using more than 300 mg/day is going to cause mild wd 30mg =5mg morphine, so essentially you'd be using 50mg worth, thats enough for mild wd, but as you said , time and you're back. but it's easier said than done in alot of cases

using more than 300 mg/day is going to cause mild wd 30mg =5mg morphine, so essentially you'd be using 50mg worth, thats enough for mild wd, but as you said , time and you're back. but it's easier said than done in alot of cases
I don't mind being sick. So yeah, if you're in withdrawal already that means that you don't get as high from a relatively similar dose right? Assuming we're talking about pills?

Last edited:
Nah man it's gotta be these seeds it's just a bad batch. Stupid decision getting a bunch them I bought a whole bunch because I was under impression that it could be a good deal from my previous experience that got me high now I might as well throw them away it wouldn't make much difference.

Last edited:
Codeine converts directly into morphine in the liver. It is not psychoactive in its own right, it is psychoactive because it converts to morphine, which goes to the brain.

Codeine converts directly into morphine in the liver. It is not psychoactive in its own right, it is psychoactive because it converts to morphine, which goes to the brain.
Yes. I missed a thread. Now I'm tempted into doubling a dose again to feel something and I won't come back this thread's closed

Codeine is actually active in its own right (with affinity for the MOR in the nanomolar range, somewhere around 100nM, meaning if it did not undergo enzymatic conversion it would possess around 3x the potency of tianeptine), but most of its effects are a result of its conversion to morphine. The biggest difference is its speed of action (ie, slower acting than morphine).

Ive noticed poppy seed tea is substantially faster acting when hotter water is used and the dose of morphine is high. On a few occasions I've begun too feel it as quickly as 15 minutes after drinking, at which point you know its going to be a very strong experience (possibly too strong).

Tried both cold and lukewarm, on the batch that worked cold water was used but I might try hot, there's many variables of doing it to be discussed but what probably makes all the difference is the seeds

Ive noticed poppy seed tea is substantially faster acting when hotter water is used and the dose of morphine is high. On a few occasions I've begun too feel it as quickly as 15 minutes after drinking, at which point you know its going to be a very strong experience (possibly too strong).
This thread's all over the place, but I wanna quote this. After trying to get high for a whole day, shaking my hands of, now I poured some hot water, almost boiling hot, into a bottle with some used seeds which were left there after I drank the liquid. I just let it steep for a few minutes. I gotta say it feels nice, now I'm getting it, slightly buzzed. Mellow but different. It could be that doing it this way is the way, just brewing it in a pot maybe...

I'm not an expert, but wherever you read about it they say use a bottle and shake, use some lemons and cold water cause the stuff's highly soluble and it is easier to filter out the liquid this way that's possibly why.

Cold water seems to preferentially extract morphine and codeine over thebaine and the other alkaloids, since morphine dissolves readily in cold water (where thebaine and etc doesn't as easily). Still hot water will rinse off more morphine overall, so the overall yield will be better using hot water, but the higher levels of thebaine and minor alkaloids will cause more side-effects (nausea, anxiety, sleeplessness etc). For me the side-effects are worth the higher morphine levels so I prefer hot water.

Last edited:
My receptors are after some fing round finaly successfully breaking into the level of satisfactory highness that my last high before the "withdrawal" has had. Nothing special. I didn't double the dose I took half the dose, just poured some boiling hot water into a thermos bottle and left it there for an hour.

I don't mind being sick. So yeah, if you're in withdrawal already that means that you don't get as high from a relatively similar dose right? Assuming we're talking about pills?
typically in stage 2 or 3 withdrawal, i'd have to double my dose, itd knock me out, but i'd be in a deep as fuck nod, its not something to boast about in my opinion, yeah pills. i take anything i can get though, pills , dope once in a blue moon, iv on rare occasions usually a mixture solution that i make of morphine/dilaudid, i'm not going to describe the effects because i don't intend to entice you to even attempt this, while i haven't acquired a desire to iv, i can understand why it is VERY easily addictive it may not even start out as a problem but will become one very very quickly, like the night i stuck myself 8 times with hydromorphs (dilaudid) actually was probably more tbh, got a blood clot in my arm the next day when using cocaine because my arm hadn't healed and i didn't think of it. oh yay drugs are not as fun as people would like to think

Stay safe
~ Zonxx

Ok let me say this, I've done my fare share of codeine before. I'm asking this because I've had some poppy seed tea the other day and it was relatively small amount but it definitely hit me in minutes like never before, I felt very euphoric and my mind was numb as heck and as I was talking the actual effects were obvious to me. It's been a couple of days since and I'm sipping tea from another batch of seeds, I've doubled the dose and still no effects other than some mild sedation? Could it be just a tolerance buildup?
Probably not tolerance, seeds are notoriously hit and miss as far alkaloid residue content.

maybe the best thing to do. i will never discourage someone from abstaining from any drug use
I've got 55 pounds of this stuff I could be abstaining for the rest of my life with that. Seeds are a waste of time, as any drug for that matter as far as I'm concerned. But the thing is you can do it anyway.