View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

How did everyone get into psychedelics?

Oddball_paul

Greenlighter
Just curious to hear how everyone found psychedelics and what makes them interesting to you. For myself, it seems like something I was just meant for.

well i got into psychedelics when iwas 14 i found about a quarted sheet of some bomb lsd in my brothers room. i took like 10 hits of them, got my ass kicked for it later lol. i lived in a household where my dad and brother always had some really good weed and start taking some for myself when i was 11. i was always curious about lsd by lisening to jimmy hendricks and the door plus woodstock had come back i forgot what year not the last one where everone burned the place down.
anyways me and 2 freind tried 2 hits each and after 90mins of nothing i tripped the hardest i have ever tripped in my life. i never really could find lsd after pickard got busted and extasy was in big i diddnt get into extascy at all during the early 2000s thank god. but now with stuff like ald52 available we are truly blessed at this period in time. it seems that the use of lsd is becoming more acceptable after all the synthetic replacment have had such bad side effects not to mention deaths. I hope they stay legal but i doubt it so stocking up is what i will do.

Through a high school friend. He asked me if I wanted to try shrooms. Best decision of my life. Since then I have been fascinated by all drugs. The fact that a mushroom can touch my consciousness so profoundly still fascinates me.

I was never curious about drugs as a kid but I was also never exposed to them. Then at 16 I met some new friends at my job who were into smoking weed and drinking and psychedelics. After a while, on my 17th birthday actually, I decided to try alcohol and weed. I loved weed, my early experiences were definitely mind-manifesting. It facilitated a lot of thinking outside the box. Some of my friends just liked it because they got fucked up and laughed a lot, but for me, though I enjoyed that a lot too, the best part was the way it changed my thoughts and made me see things in a different way. So naturally I became interested in psychedelics. I really didn't know what to expect, I thought it would be like stronger weed with visuals or something. The summer before college, I tried DXM and MDMA, and really enjoyed them. In college, when I was 18, I tried mushrooms for the first time, and it was a life-changing experience that truly altered the course of my life and changed the entire way I view reality. After that, I realized that psychedelics and my brain get along great, and they've always been my favorite class of drugs since.

Heh, I've always been interested in psychedelics. As a kid, as soon as I found out that LSD existed I wanted to try it. Took me a while, but you need to take your time in deciding whether you want to use psychedelics or not.

First contact with psychedelics for me was around 14 or 15, didn't know anything about psychedelics, only smoked lots of weed and ate space cake, so when we got to our dealer's house when I saw this HUGE bag of shrooms I just bought some, he didn't say anything and I didn't ask, just like weed I thought...

On our way back home, about one hour bicycle ride I started to eat my bag of shrooms.

Later that night I got a pretty good idea about what psychedelics were, I threw the rest of my shrooms away and swore to never touch that evil shit again. :D

i started smoking cannabis. early high school. found it had some very trippy effects - especially early in my experiments. they intrigued me; especially the effects of, say, listening to certain kinds of music on weed. my dad's beatles records, for example.
at first the "LSD makes you crazy" propaganda scared me...but that gets a bit diluted when you try other drugs and start questioning them and seeking out information of your own.

cannabis made psychedelics seem more enticing, and i finally had the chance to try LSD a few years later - i think i was 16. loved it, but wouldn't advice other people take acid so young.
any younger than 16 would be a bad idea; waiting until you're older than 16 would be advisable.
Enjoyed it more than MDMA (90s pills) - so my drug exploration went down a psychedelic path for some time.

got to try shrooms and DMT (weak changa) a few years later; actually bought them from a store - having won the trust of the proprietor.
crystal DMT was a different experience again, a little after that. not for the faint-hearted; but truly incredible.
the first shrooms i tasted were truffles, i then grew p. cubensis for a while. When i tried psilocybe subaeruginosa (which grow in the cooler regions of australia) they were quite a bit stronger than cubes. nice.

eventually got to play with mescaline (via cacti i grew/procured) and a few other more exotic things; DPT, the substituted tryptamines, psychedelic phenethylamines and such. I liked a few of the 2C-x drugs, and mescaline analogues - but to me acid and tryptamines are the best.

Only thing i'd really advise - apart from avoiding NBOMe/NBOH members of the psychedelic extended family - is to ignore the notion of "heroic doses". high doses have their place - but there really is nothing heroic about it. just take what you are comfortable with, and if you're not familiar with the substance in question - start low.

i learned - the hard way - to respect these drugs a lot. approach them without due caution and they will teach you why.
these days i trip very rarely. as an occasional treat, or a psychologically deliberate perspective-changer; "clearing out the cobwebs".

Last edited:
I'd tried ganja years earlier, but it never really took me anywhere special until I was sixteen and I tried a particularly epic batch of Northern Lights and spent the next several months laughing at things I'd never noticed were funny, thinking about things I'd never realised the complexity of and listening to music I'd never heard in such intricate depth. I liked the way that I was perceiving things in ways that I otherwise wouldn't have..

On the closing night of a music festival when I was seventeen, I ate some psilocybe truffles and MDMA. The effects blended so seamlessly into the state of stoned elation that I was already in.. I didn't even notice it happening. Conversation flowed freely as these angel-eyed people danced in slow motion through the soft focus glow and bliss of the night. I watched the sun rise over this eutopian wonderland; content, satisfied and completely oblivious that years later I would reflect on that evening as a serendipitous moment of perfection where time had stood still just long enough to remind me that there is a rich beauty to this place and a reason that I'm here. Despite it being very difficult to see at times, I'll never forget that it's there.

I've had the chance to try many interesting compounds since; MDEA, MBDB, LSD & DOC were definitely some of my favourites. DMT, Ketamine and Mesc seemed to operate on frequencies that were kind of alien to me, but still interesting. Wouldn't mind sampling the 2c-b-fly at some point too :D

Years of sober spiritual practice/martial arts, interests in mysticism, later the usual : reading classic Strassman, Shulgin, Crowley

I have seen this episode of Dragnet in the late 60’s on TV. It deeply impressed the 12 years old kid I was. From that moment I went on a quest to find the dread LSD and give it a try. I finally met a hippie willing to sell me a window pane 2 years later, I loved it and my life went on a different path afterwards.
God bless the freak who was crazy enough to hand a ridiculously strong hit of acid to a 14 year old.

Lit up while on a comedown and enjoy that silly show…

[video]https://youtu.be/2eBPWwxOKwQ[/video]

Last edited:
July/2006 I tried Salvia for the first time (5x standardized). It was interesting, but my ex fiancee had the bright idea of ordering 20x standardized Salvia. I kept telling her that just because it's legal doesn't mean it's not active. We were playing around with the 5x extract, and it was interesting, but not earth shattering.

Well, one day on Sept/06, we came back from camping and her parents had been looking after her house. Her mother handed her a package that had been left by the post on her doorstep; it was 30g of 20x Salvia. We got it on a Saturday, but decided to let it sit until next Friday.

I offered to try it first and said weigh out 25 mg (I've been using imperial and metric measurements equally for 40ish years and have no trouble going back on forth). She asked for clarification and I said 25 mg, you know, a 40th of a gram. We had the scales, and I fully expected her to weigh accurately, which was a mistake. She asked again, and I repeated.

Well, she is on lifetime disability and had, among other problems, difficulty hearing. She heard one fourteenth of a gram. And she was....mathematically challenged. She kept muttering 'a fourteenth of a gram' and ended up weighing out 1/4 (a quarter) of a gram; 250 mg of 20x Salvia.

She loaded the bowl, which I didn't see, and handed me the bong. I was sitting down cross legged on the carpet, and the next thing I knew I was wrestling with her dog. She told me we had been 'fighting' for 20 minutes with me constantly laughing. Of that I remember nothing. What I do remember puzzled me, scared me and changed me. On one level, it removed all the fear I ever had of doing psychs - it opened up a lot of curiosity. I've since tried more psychs, probably to the point of abuse. I've also ended up with a fairly permanent 'thousand yard stare' - but I'm ok with that.

That's it. If I can find the writing skills I'll write a trip report on September 6th (10 years).

Tom

When I was very young I read about the Aztec and other Mesoamerican native people taking mushrooms, and people in the 1960s taking LSD and mushrooms, and that originally piqued my interest in them.

I did not use any until I was 16 when I took a very large dose of LSD the first time, and it was very intense and life changing, a spiritual/++++ experience, and I did not take any more psychedelics at all until I was 18 when I ate mushrooms for the first time and that was a ++++ experience as well. I had also used cannabis starting at 15 and it was not psychedelic until I ate 3-4 grams of it at 17 since I had never made food that contained cannabis before or eaten it, I had been smoking it for the past few days, and it was not the best stuff so I figured I would need a lot of it. I also smoked high quality cannabis for the first time and had a psychedelic experience from that at 17.

I have not used any psychedelics or any drugs for years, or in the case of psychedelics over a decade.

I started smoking weed when I turned 15 but I was interested in trying LSD/Shrooms from a very young age. I don't really know what drew me to them but I spent a lot of time on Erowid in the dial-up days just reading about everything that I could. When I first found a weed connection I was asking about psychedelics right off the bat, sadly I lived in a small community where they were very rare (not the case anymore) so it was a few years until I finally found some. I'm happy I waited though because my first experience was with mushrooms with 6 friends at a cabin way out in the woods during my senior year. After that it was a long time before I found my own connection. Eventually I found LSD in a city near me and the guy also had MDMA so I got introduced to both within a week.

I flirted with them a little after that but I didn't get into heavy use until my mid-20s. At that point I could source anything I wanted so I tried a bunch of stuff. Eventually I settled on a few things that I liked and I stick to those and only take them mostly in the summer. I'm not really into social tripping unless it's a very small/tight-nit group. Almost every time I've tripped in public or at festivals it has not been pleasant. Everyone wants to open up about themselves and I prefer what's going on in my own head, it gets to be too much since I don't like begin social in the first place. I've gotten to the point now where I don't even enjoy festivals even when I'm sober. Don't get me wrong I love people but it takes me a while to warm up to new ones and even longer to trust them. I spent most of my childhood alone and I was taught to never show emotion by my father so that's probably why I don't socialize much.

I'll take LSD alone on the farm with the animals any day but in public? Hell no. Learned my lesson in Asheville over the New Years...it was a great show though. ;)

Last edited:
I was just generally interested in altering my consciousness. Psychedelics were (and still are) one part of a much bigger picture. Back then, the picture seemed clear and obvious - moderate and responsible use of any mind altering substance could have positive affects on overall well-being. I soon learnt it's not that simple, having had both ecstatic and troubling experiences with psychedelics, as well as other drugs.

I was curious about drugs from a young age but didn't want to do them because I was told they were bad and I didn't want to damage my brain. But at 16 I researched marijuana online and realized it wouldn't hurt me at all unless I abused the hell out of it (which I ended up doing ironically). My first marijuana experience was very psychedelic and one of only a handful of times in my life where I experienced synthesia and tasted music, so I naturally wanted to try other psychedelics after that.

I didnt get into psychedelics, psychedelics got into me.

They tend to become available when i need them them the most, some crazy syncronisity shit.
My first trip was at 16 though, they been improvinb my life ever since :D

I was always interested in tripping. At 16 after my friend OD'd and I called 911, my friend gave me two gels for "saving" his life.

I first got into psychedelics by trying Salvia when it was legal in the USA. I figured from there on this is it. This is something I made for. So I tryed LSD and never looked back since.

I was a person who didn't know any better.

In my late teens a person thought I could appreciate a psychedelic experience and gave me a free dose. I am glad this happened. In retrospect this shouldn't have happened until 21.