• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Alcohol How can I use a week off work to stop alcohol use?

I have been drinking a six pack of beer a night every night with about 3 to 4 days off per month for years. On weekends it goes up to 7 or 8 beers.

I have a week off work until next Tuesday March 7. And I wanted to take this time to stop drinking because going without sleep won't be as rough during this time as I don't have to wake up and go to work.

But I find I am very weak willed and have found some kind of reason to drink Friday to Sunday night.

My wife also drinks and she is cutting down somewhat and also wants to stop.

How can I get myself in the mindset where I have the will to not drink. I have a whole week left so I want to do this.

Maybe I will just drink Thursday night as my wife doesn't work that day or the next.

But besides that I need a break until about mid April.
It was only until day 27 i began to feel/ sleep normal again.

Not a very reassuring advise, imo alcohol is the worst/ hardest drug there is. But your intention is good, quiting will bettter your live, Do you have Benzo's? That would ease the WD's

With the risk of switching to another addiction. Vitamine B1 or Thiamine would also help to prevent Korsakov.

Good luck 82

I have been drinking a six pack of beer a night every night with about 3 to 4 days off per month for years. On weekends it goes up to 7 or 8 beers.

I have a week off work until next Tuesday March 7. And I wanted to take this time to stop drinking because going without sleep won't be as rough during this time as I don't have to wake up and go to work.

But I find I am very weak willed and have found some kind of reason to drink Friday to Sunday night.

How can I get myself in the mindset where I have the will to not drink. I have a whole week left so I want to do this.

Maybe I will just drink Thursday night as my wife doesn't work that day or the next.

With all due respect, you are a bit naive to everything related to alcoholism. Alcohol withdrawal can kill you, and next to benzos, it is the worst kind of withdrawal there is Trust me, I have seen lots of people detoxing from alcohol and it is HARD. You cannot do this on your own, especially not when your wife drinks as well.

You might want to quit with every being in your body, but that is not enough to keep you sober. The first thing you might want to do is some research online to familiarize yourself with alcoholism and everything that comes with trying to quit. You need help tho, it cannot be done without it…

Hi @V82 :)

You're usage of Alcohol is definitely not even on the other half of the spectrum for what is commonly seen. You mention 7-8 beers... I know dozens of people who drink 40+ drinks per day. This is relevant, because it puts you in a good position to move against your problem on your own as planned. You're capable of doing it.

The fact that you mention taking regular days off from drinking despite chronic intake, as this implies you're much less likely to experience epileptic incident/seizure as a result of quitting. Literature is going to describe a lot of individuals who are trigged to seizure by quantities as you've described, but this sort of thing is far more common in women than Men. We are all aware of a woman's greater impact in regard to Alcohol due to their physiology (more fat) and some other issues. At any rate, it would be uncommon for an otherwise healthy male to have serious problems trying to quit at this usage.

The Physical Issue

If you're interested in medication-aids in this process, Benzodiazepines would be the go-to in a medical setting. In prior decades the notion of giving an Alcoholic a couple of month's worth of Lorazepam (Ativan) to see if they wanna give it a shot at home. For what it's worth, this was pretty sound advice for an Alcoholic who is employed, maintains their health and family and had a bona fide relationship with the physician, but things are much different now. The only way for most to obtain this sort of care is through personal trust with the doctor, if this is you, great, try it out.

Benzodiazepines are drugs that mimic the effects on the body produced by Alcohol. Benzodiazepines come in the form of tablets and rarely as an oral solution, either way, it's very easy to titrate the dosage by breaking tablets and so on.

Most Alcoholics will attempt to moderate their drinking in a similar, planned mathematical way, but in practice, it is much more difficult for someone whose drug of choice is Alcohol to control this. With the Alcohol you have the smell, the taste, the feeling in your belly telling you you're about to feel better... etc. I believe the understood fact that ritualization further entrenches addiction. Also, the effects of Alcohol come on quickly in general compared to oral medication due to Alcohol's chemical effects on the stomach. You're typically already feeling a good shot 5 minutes after taking it and you can already be smashed 15 minutes after a strong drink. Even most oral medications are going to have less of that "boom".

Benzodiazepines will allow you to experience the symptoms of withdrawal with less intensity while also allowing you to cut out the consumption of Alcohol immediately and forever if things go well. The ideal way of using these drugs would be to medicate at a heavier rate over the first 48-72hrs post-Alcohol, as these typically the most difficult.

If you want anymore advice on the use of Benzodiazepines to withdraw from Alcohol, we can talk about that. That discussion is its own can of worms and is best done on an ongoing basis based upon what is required for you to manage your symptoms. Likely, we can toss some numbers/dosages at you to start with and you can tailor based upon your needs. To shoot from the hip, I'd say:

Day 1

10mg Diazepam 2x per day w/ potentially 5mg more at night if sleep is too fitful

Day 3

5mg Diazepam in two dosages and one dosage of 10mg Diazepam based upon your needs (are mornings harder or evenings, that kind of thing)

Day 5

5mg Diazepam at both ends of AM/PM

Day 7

5mg Diazepam at most critical time, likely for bed, with another 5mg Diazepam as a rescue should you really need it.

Day 7-9

No Diazepam, but with the idea in mind that this plan is not tailored to you, you might do better with another day, you might also be fine in 5 days. This is just a basic idea, but I'd gladly send it to the bank and count on it cashing for someone of your description and experience.

The Mental Side

If Alcohol is a problem for you and your wife, it is unlikely that you will ever be able to return to a type of drinking in which other areas of your life are not made to suffer the cost. It just doesn't work that way. I personally consider the idea of trying to quit to be pointless if the idea is clearly in your mind that you're not done with Alcohol. It makes it a no-less of a noble effort, but it will not actually lead to the positive change in your life that you're desiring.

If Alcohol is making your life difficult, it's better to just be done with it completely.

You need to find something in your life that takes the place of Alcohol. I think daily programs like the 12 Steps are great for this purpose, as they put a placeholder in your life that you can hope to grow from and reestablish the ability to enjoy yourself through means other than Alcohol.

You're probably not ready to do something as hardcore as AA, but I'd highly recommend it.

For you, that might just mean reconnecting with people you've forgotten as you've partied that were once important to you. The biggest thing is not to be isolated with yourself(s). Go out, do things, experience things, reengage in hobbies. Perhaps you once enjoyed making music or hiking. Maybe your dog is feeling lonely as she hasn't been walked as much as she used to. At any rate, there are things out there waiting to make you feel happy and accepted and they're waiting.

In the beginning, like the first week, it's not easy to go to dinner parties when you're drenched in sweat and feeling the fear of Alcohol, but that doesn't mean you can't start. Often, the best way to start is by telling other people of your intentions. You might be surprised who is willing to come and keep you company if they know you're trying to do some good for yourself.

It won't work if you just say, alright, day 1 and sit yourself on the couch and stare at the clock.

There are a ton of other people out there, especially chronic Alcoholics who live just to take on other Alcoholics. If you call the hotline, you'll have a dufus at your house in 20 minutes who will not only understand your situation on a visceral level, but he or she had been where you are now. Getting someone like that attached to you and in your life and business is sometimes required.

Opinion

I know people who say they quit Heroin spontaneously following an Acid Trip (bullshit). I've known people whose minds were cured by a trip to a Native American sweat lodge. I know a lady who says jogging, yes, jogging is what cured her of her chronic Methamphetamine addiction. Her and other former Meth addicts in this little town in Missouri now jog around the town as a group. It's pretty strange, but also pretty beautiful.

People are cured by having children. They see their baby and that's enough, they're done. Mothers who stop the day they become pregnant.

Everyone is going to give you a slightly different version of their opinion, but I think the point stands that having something truly meaningful to you in your life is what is required. Getting over the physical effects are arguably the simplest part of the process. Most of us here with the knowledge could tell you exactly how much of this or that to take to mask your symptoms, get you through the week like nothing. You have to find something in yourself worth not drinking over.
This is amazing advice…honestly, thank you for posting this. Forums like this need more kind people like you; I am so sick and tired of the judgment and disrespect I see in a lot of other posts in other similar platforms.

Thank you. I appreciate you.

If you're going to quit, you will need new hobbies and pastimes, as has been said. Just sitting there and not drinking will not work. You need to fill the time in other ways.

Also, it would help a lot to have help. However, that help can be in the form of a friend or family to walk with you on the journey. Someone to call when you are on the knives edge to distract you. If your wife quits with you, that would be perfect. In my case, my best friend quit shortly after I did. That was huge.

Another thing, one day at a time.
Not, "I will never drink again." when that is hard.
Rather, "I will not drink today."

Hmm, someone to help? One day at a time? Sound familiar? (AA)

If you're going to quit, you will need new hobbies and pastimes, as has been said. Just sitting there and not drinking will not work. You need to fill the time in other ways.

Also, it would help a lot to have help. However, that help can be in the form of a friend or family to walk with you on the journey. Someone to call when you are on the knives edge to distract you. If your wife quits with you, that would be perfect. In my case, my best friend quit shortly after I did. That was huge.

Another thing, one day at a time.
Not, "I will never drink again." when that is hard.
Rather, "I will not drink today."

Hmm, someone to help? One day at a time? Sound familiar? (AA)

I try not to preach too much, but for the record, I am a member of the 12-Step cult :)

I went to detox, rehab, psych wards... I've probably had 1,000,000 dollars spent on money in terms of hospitals, emergency room revivals, detoxes and that's probably a low number. What did it was a totally free program run by the inmates themselves. That's really telling. No money involved and the 12-steps actually "fix" more people permanently than anything else, although there is no data for this I can refer too, it's pretty much known in the addict community. You meet people who all of the sudden have jobs, aren't hooking and look great and you say "oh, they must have got religion, fucking idiots in their cult" (that's what I used to say!!!).

It only asks you to be honest with yourself and the world and to treat others kindly. The rest of the program is simply about programming you to do these things. Programming isn't the right word. It's about sharing knowledge of the fact that honesty and kindness are the way one should live. There's a lot less smoke and mirrors to the whole thing than many non 12-steppers believe there are.

It's one hour a day ~5 days a week for 6 months. Then most people who "get it" will go to a couple of meetings a week, gladly and willingly, maintain relationships with others etc. The most important part comes when the student becomes the master. How beautiful is it to think that not only might you one day be sober and free... totally free and that you will not only get to hold that feeling tightly, but give it to another scared, ashamed, broken person like you once were.

I try not to preach too much, but for the record, I am a member of the 12-Step cult :)

I went to detox, rehab, psych wards... I've probably had 1,000,000 dollars spent on money in terms of hospitals, emergency room revivals, detoxes and that's probably a low number. What did it was a totally free program run by the inmates themselves. That's really telling. No money involved and the 12-steps actually "fix" more people permanently than anything else, although there is no data for this I can refer too, it's pretty much known in the addict community. You meet people who all of the sudden have jobs, aren't hooking and look great and you say "oh, they must have got religion, fucking idiots in their cult" (that's what I used to say!!!).

It only asks you to be honest with yourself and the world and to treat others kindly. The rest of the program is simply about programming you to do these things. Programming isn't the right word. It's about sharing knowledge of the fact that honesty and kindness are the way one should live. There's a lot less smoke and mirrors to the whole thing than many non 12-steppers believe there are.

It's one hour a day ~5 days a week for 6 months. Then most people who "get it" will go to a couple of meetings a week, gladly and willingly, maintain relationships with others etc. The most important part comes when the student becomes the master. How beautiful is it to think that not only might you one day be sober and free... totally free and that you will not only get to hold that feeling tightly, but give it to another scared, ashamed, broken person like you once were.
more people need to give AA a try, I will not advocate for NA as I have seen one to many times people either 13/teen step-in or they go to them to try ti sell the NA people drugs. Even in cheaper rehabs, people go in to sell drugs. Its really sad. I found AA during the pandemic where it was difficult to not have social group, to be a life save. 24/7 AA meets on zoom was awesome, if you wake up at 4am craving, boom your in a meeting in 5 minutes. No cues not to go to meeting if there online

more people need to give AA a try, I will not advocate for NA as I have seen one to many times people either 13/teen step-in or they go to them to try ti sell the NA people drugs. Even in cheaper rehabs, people go in to sell drugs. Its really sad. I found AA during the pandemic where it was difficult to not have social group, to be a life save. 24/7 AA meets on zoom was awesome, if you wake up at 4am craving, boom your in a meeting in 5 minutes. No cues not to go to meeting if there online

I don't want to derail OP's thread, but I have an important opinion regarding Narcotics Anonymous.

Alcohol is a legal drug. It is available in every store saving for dry counties. An Alcoholic can become and exist as an Alcoholic with literally nobody else knowing but the cashier at the liquor store.

Drugs are completely different. Addiction to drugs, particularly when multiple substances are in play inherently involves networking. This is the same way a person would network professionally or socially. They meet a guy, he can get it for a better price. People with drugs LOVE to talk about all of the drugs they've done and the conversation often goes awry even unintentionally.

"Oh, you're a Fentanyl addict?"

"Yea man, but I'm in the program and getting better. I'll tell you though, back when those Oxycontin's were around... mmm, mmm, mmm"

"Totally, I got hooked on Oxycontin too. My favorite was Dilaudid (Hydromorphone) though, I used to shoot so many of them things"

"Yea, I loved Dilaudid too man. Then it just disappeared when they stopped giving scripts. The only person I know of who gets them is my Grandma and she has cancer."

"Oh damn, that's sad bro. So, like, how much does she take per day? Does she take all of them?"

Like that, a simply introduction to another person and a genuine desire to understand them leads to the archetypal drug connection. Once the seed is planted, the two people will work themselves up slowly into a frenzy discussing the feelings of the drug, the longing for the drug, interspersed with noncommittal statements like "oh yea, I'm so glad I'm done with that shit, what a nightmare".

I saw it happen to so many people, myself included. After several days in NA when I first started out, I felt like Neo experiencing the Matrix for the first time, seeing faceless, nameless bodies and numbers categorizing them based upon their habits, disposition, likelihood to give me shit and so on. I didn't ask for that, but it happened. There was no way I could hack that shit, listening to people talk about shooting up over and over again.

In AA I call "Alcohol", which I'm also addicted to "my addiction". In meetings, I say I'm an Alcoholic knowing the Truth and throughout the meeting the term "Alcohol" has a deeper meaning. That has always helped me.

Hey @V82 how's did your week go? Manage to not drink? Don't beat yourself up if you didn't manage, yours really isn't the biggest drinking problem, and you could quite easily stop with minimal insomnia and discomfort imho.

Hi everyone I had stopped drinking from the 28th of February to Sunday. I had trouble staying asleep for 5 days but I didn't really feel much withdrawal symptoms.

Yesterday I fucked up as I had a stressful day and just decided to pick up a six pack on the way home. Just feel like I need to get into meditation or something to help me.

At least I know that I probably won't have bad withdrawal. Tonight I really don't want to drink. I am trying to look into mindfulness meditation. I know I can do this as I did it for 6 days.

Drinking once may start your insomnia over again. OTOH, people that quit usually have at least one relapse. Often, that relapse serves to show them that they cannot be "occasional drinkers".

However, I wonder if you have a huge problem. Maybe the beginning of one and it's quite possible that you can get back to a healthy relationship with alcohol after a long break.

IMO, you will fall back into old habits if the break is too short.

I don't know you and I don't know your situation/body/mindset/etc.. So, this is all only my SWAG (Scientific Wild Ass Guess).

Last edited:
Hi everyone I had stopped drinking from the 28th of February to Sunday. I had trouble staying asleep for 5 days but I didn't really feel much withdrawal symptoms.

Yesterday I fucked up as I had a stressful day and just decided to pick up a six pack on the way home. Just feel like I need to get into meditation or something to help me.

At least I know that I probably won't have bad withdrawal. Tonight I really don't want to drink. I am trying to look into mindfulness meditation. I know I can do this as I did it for 6 days.

This is good news. This doesn't mean maintaining sobriety will be easy, but you will have a much easier time transitioning without having to navigate the ups and downs of withdrawal.

I'm going to stop repeating myself. but I would definitely consider AA. There are people who drink a 1/2 gallon of liquor a day and there are also people who only drink on the weekends. The program works for all kinds.

I haven't had a drink in a few days.

But today I got in a fight with my partner because she wanted me to buy her beer cause she doesn't drive and had to go to work.

I am upset cause I feel like this isn't something she should ask if she was supporting me.

Am I just being petty and on edge from not drinking or is this a legitimate thing to be upset about.

I got her 24 tall cans and filled up the fridge cause it is always me who does it.
I dunno.

But today I got in a fight with my partner because she wanted me to buy her beer cause she doesn't drive and had to go to work.

I am upset cause I feel like this isn't something she should ask if she was supporting me.

Am I just being petty and on edge from not drinking or is this a legitimate thing to be upset about.

I got her 24 tall cans and filled up the fridge cause it is always me who does it.
I dunno.

It was insensitive. I'm not saying it was insensitive to the point where you might need to do anything about it. But insensitive? Yes.

Anyways, who cares? What do you have going on this evening? What's the next thing that you're looking forward to?

You should never detox from alcohol without medical supervision. I've had many life-threatening seizures due to alcohol withdrawal. And FAST, like as little as 10 hours after my last drink. Also, my partner died from a massive seizure due to alcohol withdrawal.

I dunno.

You're not being petty, you are choosing to challenge your demon and she's choosing to be selfish. Although, at the same time, depending on how bad you are in it, it might be wise to tritrate down the amount that you drink so its easier to finally stamp it out. I didn't read whole thread so idk how bad your issue is. But that's my two cents.

GABA receptor drugs are nothing to fuck with. At all.