• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Alcohol How can I use a week off work to stop alcohol use?

V82

Bluelighter
I have been drinking a six pack of beer a night every night with about 3 to 4 days off per month for years. On weekends it goes up to 7 or 8 beers.

I have a week off work until next Tuesday March 7. And I wanted to take this time to stop drinking because going without sleep won't be as rough during this time as I don't have to wake up and go to work.

But I find I am very weak willed and have found some kind of reason to drink Friday to Sunday night.

My wife also drinks and she is cutting down somewhat and also wants to stop.

How can I get myself in the mindset where I have the will to not drink. I have a whole week left so I want to do this.

Maybe I will just drink Thursday night as my wife doesn't work that day or the next.

But besides that I need a break until about mid April.

I have been drinking a six pack of beer a night every night with about 3 to 4 days off per month for years. On weekends it goes up to 7 or 8 beers.

I have a week off work until next Tuesday March 7. And I wanted to take this time to stop drinking because going without sleep won't be as rough during this time as I don't have to wake up and go to work.

But I find I am very weak willed and have found some kind of reason to drink Friday to Sunday night.

My wife also drinks and she is cutting down somewhat and also wants to stop.

How can I get myself in the mindset where I have the will to not drink. I have a whole week left so I want to do this.

Maybe I will just drink Thursday night as my wife doesn't work that day or the next.

But besides that I need a break until about mid April.
A week is not going to be enough.

Dropping from 6 or 7 beers a day every day in one week is going to throw you into alcohol withdrawal that will be severe enough to possibly put you in the hospital.

You may want to contact your primary care physician. They may be able to prescribe you. Librium or Valium which are awesome to taper off alcohol or be medicated so you can stop drinking and not go into withdrawal.

Feel free to PM me because I've done this a lot of times. I know exactly what I'm talking about. I've actually been detoxed in the ER in the hospital multiple times. Alcohol is a fucking bitch.

To be honest, as long as you're not waking up with the shakes and shit, you're probably alright to just stop. You said you have 3-4 nights off a month, do you have any withdrawal symptoms?
You could decrease by a beer or two a night, or you could just keep a six pack in the fridge in case you get bad withdrawal and have one or two, but I highly doubt you'd need it.
My advice would be to ride it out. Good luck brudda.

How many years? One.....five......twenty or more?

Only reason I ask is the longer you have been daily drinking the more medical help you may need.

Since alcohol WD can be fatal the benzodiazepenes will be needed for a successful quit.

Will you be able to get some meds because cold turkey will be too dangerous ?

Last edited:
Hmm maybe I'm wrong then, but I thought what with alcohol's short duration, on your 3-4 days off you'd be waking up shaking and potentially having seizures/hallucinations if you were truly dependent.
I personally have went through periods of what I'd call alcoholic drinking, not like a litre of vodka a day, but 2 bottles of wine or 4-8+ pints, yeah occasionally the better part of a bottle of whiskey a day, but the worst I got was cravings and insomnia.
But yeah your mileage may vary but if you've had days off without throwing seizures maybe just cutting down by a beer a day would work.
Not sure throwing benzos in the mix and getting labelled medically as an alcoholic would be my first port of call, but the other posters have made me doubt my credentials here.
I thought medical detox was only needed for all day drinkers, but do some research cos I would hate to be giving you dangerous advice.
@deficiT @F.U.B.A.R. you guys will know better than me.
Are you talking about the little 330ml beers or pints? Cos that would be more serious. Maybe medical detox would be safer, but I'm not sure you need to put yourself through that if you're determined to quit.

Last edited:
Hmm maybe I'm wrong then, but I thought what with alcohol's short duration, on your 3-4 days off you'd be waking up shaking and potentially having seizures/hallucinations if you were truly dependent.
I personally have went through periods of what I'd call alcoholic drinking, not like a litre of vodka a day, but 2 bottles of wine or 4-8+ pints, yeah occasionally the better part of a bottle of whiskey a day, but the worst I got was cravings and insomnia.
But yeah your mileage may vary but if you've had days off without throwing seizures maybe just cutting down by a beer a day would work.
Not sure throwing benzos in the mix and getting labelled medically as an alcoholic would be my first port of call, but the other posters have made me doubt my credentials here.
I thought medical detox was only needed for all day drinkers, but do some research cos I would hate to be giving you dangerous advice.
@deficiT @F.U.B.A.R. you guys will know better than me.
Are you talking about the little 330ml beers or pints? Cos that would be more serious. Maybe medical detox would be safer, but I'm not sure you need to put yourself through that if you're determined to quit.
You can never tell how bad alcohol withdrawal will be for daily drinkers. Even somebody who only drinks four shots of whiskey a day can have life-threatening alcohol withdrawal if they drink everyday.

In the US alcoholism and treatment for it is not really an issue.
I've been medically detoxed five times in the ER ( because I was trying to taper off and it wasn't working ) and my insurance covers it every time.

Most doctors treat people with alcohol use disorder much better than they treat people with opiate addiction or stimulant addiction.

Alcohol withdrawal and benzodiazepine withdrawal are the only two drug withdrawal syndromes that can actually kill you via seizure or delirium tremens.

And with alcohol withdrawal it can actually be too late to help you. If you get into DT's your hemodynamics can get so bad that even if you get to the ER or a&e as they say in Britain you could still die.

Yeah if it's a 6 pack of 12oz bottles of 4-5% beer that's basically just a bottle of wine a night which seems like everyday life in the UK, not sure you'd experience withdrawl much from that. Insomnia and headaches for sure though

I honestly think you'll be fine if you smoke weed get an oz and edibles and smoke and eat edibles and have Xanax. Seriously Xanax for the seizures, I think that will work? and weed for sleep and relaxation and cause you have off from work and you should enjoy it. Getting off alcohol isn't bad or hard, IMO. VERY anecdotal as there is many alcoholics on here that would get very pissed off if I didn't end it with it being IMO and anecdotal. I was drinking 12 plus beers a night plus eating a bunch of valium and Xanax. I on one Friday stopped drinking and started dabbing weed and smoking and it was very easy. I just slept the first weekend buy smoking so much and eating edibles. Then I worked the week immediately feeling better cause I wasn't hungover and hydrated. I promise you its not hard just do it and remember your life will be ten times better. I haven't had a drink in almost 3 years, without a thought of having another. Now I do eat oxy like a fucking champ which I gotta quit soon but thats my next hurtle in life. Good luck with your journey to sobriety

Considering six beers is out of your system in six hours you are sober every day for 18 hours. I would be very surprised if you experience much, if anything, physically. Pretty sure you are completely good to go. If you are having trouble sleeping I would just read or use the time for something you have been looking to get done. You can always take Diphenhydramine for a few days it will put you to sleep.

Last edited:
Considering six beers is out of your system in six hours you are sober every day for 18 hours. I would be very surprised if you experience much, if anything, physically. Pretty sure you are completely good to go. If you are having trouble sleeping I would just read or use the time for something you have been looking to get done. You can always take Diphenhydramine for a few days it will put you to sleep.
math the lost art of half life and common sense

If your 3-4 days off a month are in a row, you're good to go. DT's will appear within 48 to 72 hours after your last drink. I'm not saying you won't have a withdrawal. I'm saying it won't be life threatening.
IME, cold turkey is the only way to go. I think that in a week you will be feeling physically much better if you go that route. Mentally you may want a drink for some time, but you will be starting to feel much better physically. Hang your hat on that.
Be sure to find something to do which is not your normal routine.

Last edited:
You can never tell how bad alcohol withdrawal will be for daily drinkers. Even somebody who only drinks four shots of whiskey a day can have life-threatening alcohol withdrawal if they drink everyday.
Correct, that can happen after decades of daily drinking (hardly if some binging isn’t also included from time to time) but it’s not like person wont feel terrible WD starting before any danger.

And that one unlucky girl/lad is 1 in 1 000 000 and few mg of diazepam or 0.5g of clonazepam is enough for that kinda habit.

I know what I’m talking about and much more damage is done from paranoia about WD’s from gabanerics than from stopping them too fast. Shit happens but to have 10% risk for serious problems (chance for death if untreated is what I’m speaking about) you would have to drink 10 units of alcohol, daily for years.

I have enough insight about this to be confident enough to say someone – FEEL FREE TO STOP FEW UNITS OF ALCOHOL DAILY IN A WEEK!

You have much, on orders of magnitudes, chance your one of those who WONT EXPERIENCE ANY NOTICEABLE WD than to have problems. If you are malnourished, terminally ill etc, hell, than don’t stop at all now, you have bigger problems than few beers in that case..

Hi @V82 :)

You're usage of Alcohol is definitely not even on the other half of the spectrum for what is commonly seen. You mention 7-8 beers... I know dozens of people who drink 40+ drinks per day. This is relevant, because it puts you in a good position to move against your problem on your own as planned. You're capable of doing it.

The fact that you mention taking regular days off from drinking despite chronic intake, as this implies you're much less likely to experience epileptic incident/seizure as a result of quitting. Literature is going to describe a lot of individuals who are trigged to seizure by quantities as you've described, but this sort of thing is far more common in women than Men. We are all aware of a woman's greater impact in regard to Alcohol due to their physiology (more fat) and some other issues. At any rate, it would be uncommon for an otherwise healthy male to have serious problems trying to quit at this usage.

The Physical Issue

If you're interested in medication-aids in this process, Benzodiazepines would be the go-to in a medical setting. In prior decades the notion of giving an Alcoholic a couple of month's worth of Lorazepam (Ativan) to see if they wanna give it a shot at home. For what it's worth, this was pretty sound advice for an Alcoholic who is employed, maintains their health and family and had a bona fide relationship with the physician, but things are much different now. The only way for most to obtain this sort of care is through personal trust with the doctor, if this is you, great, try it out.

Benzodiazepines are drugs that mimic the effects on the body produced by Alcohol. Benzodiazepines come in the form of tablets and rarely as an oral solution, either way, it's very easy to titrate the dosage by breaking tablets and so on.

Most Alcoholics will attempt to moderate their drinking in a similar, planned mathematical way, but in practice, it is much more difficult for someone whose drug of choice is Alcohol to control this. With the Alcohol you have the smell, the taste, the feeling in your belly telling you you're about to feel better... etc. I believe the understood fact that ritualization further entrenches addiction. Also, the effects of Alcohol come on quickly in general compared to oral medication due to Alcohol's chemical effects on the stomach. You're typically already feeling a good shot 5 minutes after taking it and you can already be smashed 15 minutes after a strong drink. Even most oral medications are going to have less of that "boom".

Benzodiazepines will allow you to experience the symptoms of withdrawal with less intensity while also allowing you to cut out the consumption of Alcohol immediately and forever if things go well. The ideal way of using these drugs would be to medicate at a heavier rate over the first 48-72hrs post-Alcohol, as these typically the most difficult.

If you want anymore advice on the use of Benzodiazepines to withdraw from Alcohol, we can talk about that. That discussion is its own can of worms and is best done on an ongoing basis based upon what is required for you to manage your symptoms. Likely, we can toss some numbers/dosages at you to start with and you can tailor based upon your needs. To shoot from the hip, I'd say:

Day 1

10mg Diazepam 2x per day w/ potentially 5mg more at night if sleep is too fitful

Day 3

5mg Diazepam in two dosages and one dosage of 10mg Diazepam based upon your needs (are mornings harder or evenings, that kind of thing)

Day 5

5mg Diazepam at both ends of AM/PM

Day 7

5mg Diazepam at most critical time, likely for bed, with another 5mg Diazepam as a rescue should you really need it.

Day 7-9

No Diazepam, but with the idea in mind that this plan is not tailored to you, you might do better with another day, you might also be fine in 5 days. This is just a basic idea, but I'd gladly send it to the bank and count on it cashing for someone of your description and experience.

The Mental Side

If Alcohol is a problem for you and your wife, it is unlikely that you will ever be able to return to a type of drinking in which other areas of your life are not made to suffer the cost. It just doesn't work that way. I personally consider the idea of trying to quit to be pointless if the idea is clearly in your mind that you're not done with Alcohol. It makes it a no-less of a noble effort, but it will not actually lead to the positive change in your life that you're desiring.

If Alcohol is making your life difficult, it's better to just be done with it completely.

You need to find something in your life that takes the place of Alcohol. I think daily programs like the 12 Steps are great for this purpose, as they put a placeholder in your life that you can hope to grow from and reestablish the ability to enjoy yourself through means other than Alcohol.

You're probably not ready to do something as hardcore as AA, but I'd highly recommend it.

For you, that might just mean reconnecting with people you've forgotten as you've partied that were once important to you. The biggest thing is not to be isolated with yourself(s). Go out, do things, experience things, reengage in hobbies. Perhaps you once enjoyed making music or hiking. Maybe your dog is feeling lonely as she hasn't been walked as much as she used to. At any rate, there are things out there waiting to make you feel happy and accepted and they're waiting.

In the beginning, like the first week, it's not easy to go to dinner parties when you're drenched in sweat and feeling the fear of Alcohol, but that doesn't mean you can't start. Often, the best way to start is by telling other people of your intentions. You might be surprised who is willing to come and keep you company if they know you're trying to do some good for yourself.

It won't work if you just say, alright, day 1 and sit yourself on the couch and stare at the clock.

There are a ton of other people out there, especially chronic Alcoholics who live just to take on other Alcoholics. If you call the hotline, you'll have a dufus at your house in 20 minutes who will not only understand your situation on a visceral level, but he or she had been where you are now. Getting someone like that attached to you and in your life and business is sometimes required.

Opinion

I know people who say they quit Heroin spontaneously following an Acid Trip (bullshit). I've known people whose minds were cured by a trip to a Native American sweat lodge. I know a lady who says jogging, yes, jogging is what cured her of her chronic Methamphetamine addiction. Her and other former Meth addicts in this little town in Missouri now jog around the town as a group. It's pretty strange, but also pretty beautiful.

People are cured by having children. They see their baby and that's enough, they're done. Mothers who stop the day they become pregnant.

Everyone is going to give you a slightly different version of their opinion, but I think the point stands that having something truly meaningful to you in your life is what is required. Getting over the physical effects are arguably the simplest part of the process. Most of us here with the knowledge could tell you exactly how much of this or that to take to mask your symptoms, get you through the week like nothing. You have to find something in yourself worth not drinking over.

Thanks to everyone's advice. Especially Keif'.

I think I need to change how I view alcohol. Like was said I need something constructive in my life to take the place of alcohol. I don't know if I have that yet.

It's good to know that my intake shouldn't make the physical side of withdrawal too bad.

On days I don't drink I feel OK the next day if a little moody.

I know I can do this I just need to get in the right mindset.

You gotta find a hobby bro. Something to take your mind off of drinking. Something that gives you pleasure. Do something, take your lady out to a movie. Netflix and chill. Get comfy.

If you absolutely must have a beer try and limit your intake. That alone is progress and that alone ought to inspire some hope. It's a really tough process. I've watched someone close to me die from liver disease, while we happily split 1.5L of vodka everyday. I didn't get sick but she had been like that for years. It's a nasty road to go down, and you don't want to go down it.

It's just beer. But clearly it's causing a negative effect on you so I would do my best to work through this.

If sheer willpower doesn't work, there's always short term detoxes you can go too. There's also naltrexone you can take which limits alcohol cravings.

Hope this helps. Sending love.

I will also echo what others have said and say that your habit is moderate. Shouldn't be too serious a withdrawal although possibly not pleasant. If you feel yourself getting really shaky or delirious you need to seek medical attention.

It depends entirely on when you're drinking. If you're drinking 6 or 7 beers every day but it's only at night, unless you have had prior alcohol dependence, you're probably fine. I have gone through years of drinking that much every night without any withdrawal at all. My good friend drank a 12 pack of IPAs every night for over 10 years, with like 1 night off here and there - but the key being, he never started until it was dark out - and he decided to try to take a week off because he was scared of being addicted. He said he felt better that week than he had in years, no withdrawals at all. I was surprised... so was he.

Now, if you're drinking 6 or 7 beers but spreading them throughout the day from when you wake up to when you go to bed, then you're going to have withdrawals. Alcohol has a very short duration of action, and it clears your system quickly. So if you're drinking at night only, then the majority of your time is spent not under the effects of alcohol, and you'll probably be fine (again, with the important caveat of not having been previously dependent on alcohol. The "kindling effect" is a very real thing, and it causes you to get dependent again much more easily if you've been dependent before. For example, my friend's brother has spent time as a full-on alcoholic, with shakes and even a seizure before. He can have one night of heavy drinking and wake up with the shakes). Also, some people seem genetically predisposed to alcohlism, and will experience it much more easily than the average person.

Personally, I have had many instances of drinking every night or almost every night, to the point of getting wasted, for months on end, and have never experienced any withdrawals, not even a little bit. But it's because I never drink except at night. If you find yourself waking up and drinking "hair of the dog style", then you should be very worried.

Also, don't assume that just because I said this, that you'll react the same way. I would never recommend to someone that they do what I have done, drinking nightly in excess for extended periods of time is a terrible idea. I'm just reporting my experience.

Now, if you're drinking 6 or 7 beers but spreading them throughout the day from when you wake up to when you go to bed, then you're going to have withdrawals.

In that case two biggest factors how that will turn out being – are you being active while drinking as some amount of alcohol can be used for energy and – are you drinking “responsibly” regarding everything else beside crossing 1 – 2 units “safe limit”; namely: hydration, b12, not drinking on empty stomach, having no hangover/not curing hangover with more booze or meds, liver condition, appropriate health for your age etc.

During 70s many psychiatrist/doctors appropriate amount of drink for grown up man was considered 0.7l of wine for physically non-active people and up to 1.5l for hard working man. Well up until 40s hardly anyone considered smoking harmful so that doesn’t say much but still is kinda good reference about amounts you can safely stop without tapering and still not experience WD and certainly not having to worry about delirium tremens which was know, kinda since age when alcohol was discovered and well researched until 70s.

To avoid confusion, I’m not saying kindling effect isn’t real, but I stand firm whit notion that it doesn’t become worrying or important factor until big doses or for people going off and on from drinking a lot to 0. Hell we aren’t close to answer is it worse to binge 1 – 2 days a week or drink all that amount in smaller portions every day.

I saw some study, from Japan I think, how people drinking over recommended amount lowering from 2 – 3 drinks daily to 1 drink had more brain benefits than dose who dropped to 0; why it’s not known but ofc they add in no circumstance they are implying it’s good going from no drinking to 1 drink daily but in fact opposite. Well, maybe alcohol industry had their fingers in that research but I don’t think so. Many scientist are still in debate is low/any dose of alcohol beneficial and most agree it is for some people/conditions.

I’m with possibly best addiction psychiatrist in my country on that who told me to limit drinking to 1 beer a week and 0.2l of wine with food daily, sounds right. For non-addictive personalties handling booze better, that amount can be somewhat bigger.

I've found through experience that 20mg of amitryptyline daily for a week totally negates all alcohol cravings.

What happens after that week is up to you, but imo it is nothing short of a wonder drug...