• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

High dose mescaline experiences....

Why is it taken in such conservative doses? Well, if you try eating that much mesc. in cactus form, you'll find its hard to get such a dose in your stomach, so the traditional doses definitely aren't that sky-high. And I will say I got a bit of a headache at 700 mg. It felt harder on the body than mushrooms or LSD, although LSD definitely feels like it leaves a more permanent change in perception. Terence McKenna noted it was harder than most psychs on the body too, and he noted it wasn't even CLOSE to the visionary potential of the indoles. McKenna was not a fan of mescaline, too soft on the psychedelia, too hard on the body for him.

Not as rough as say, MDMA though, of course. I used to experiment with deleriants as well (diphenhydramine), and you're right, almost nothing is as miserable as that, lmao. The reliably induced telepathy was cool, but not worth the brain damage. Mescaline's cool, but honestly, I don't feel like I would have gotten much more out of it if I'd taken the full gram, the 300 mg trip wasn't even that much less powerful than the 700 mg. There was a difference, but not a fantastic amount. Aldous Huxley favoured LSD when he discovered it.

Nick Sand liked mescaline a lot though, he said that it, along with ibogaine and DMT were the most "pure" compounds, with DMT being the most "pure". I don't know what he meant by "pure".

It is quite a weak compound dose wise, compared to other psychedelic doses, you have to eat a lot of material. I think ibogaine's the only other one with a similar dose strength, and its also notoriously hard on the body, although mesc. is much easier on the body than ibogaine. I actually wouldn't recommend ibogaine, I've never taken it, but in high doses it causes neurodegeneration, which other psychedelics do not in similar doses.

I've pretty well finished exploring different compounds, I've dabbled in RC's and found them either un-enjoyable (2C-B, DOx) or fun with sketchy side effects (25i-NBOME and HPPD/plastic brain feeling), and the only ones I find notable that I haven't tried (ibogaine and 5-meo-dmt) don't sound fun. Mescaline too bland, psilocybin too crazy and anxious...LSD+MDMA (never one without the other) and DMT are the only psychedelics I use now. I just explore the mind now, not the compounds. I might retire on mescaline.

And no, I don't anticipate going for the 1200 dose. The people who have taken those in the literature (Leary, I think Kesey, some other Millbrook people), and a guy I know who took 22 hits of what I think was AL-LAD....they either stopped taking acid altogether, or they never too such a dose again and went back to regular doses. If I want to go there I'd rather take a normal dose of DMT than an overdose of something else.

Last edited:
Ive only done mescaline once at 750mg of the HCl salt taken in 2x 325mg pills, 30 min apart to avoid nausea, and it was once the greatest drug experiences I've done. It was unique tin that it was like a combination of all the best parts of a lot of drugs Ive done; Clearheaded like the 2cs usually are, but as colorful if not more colorful than a 300+ug dose of LSD. It was also very euphoric and happy like MDMA, but not as intense and was much more relaxing than it was stimulating. In fact it was a very lazy drug, and that was an aspect of it that i didn't expect going in. As far as the visuals, they were the most organic of all my drug experiences ever. Incredible trails on all movement that would have a full rainbow behind them, and all things natural I found I had a greatly heightened appreciation for. For example there were so many birds that day and I could swear they were all there for me and then at one point a hawk swooped down within 15 feet of me and my tripping buddy who was on the same dose as I was and the trails behind the bird and were so beautiful. Then there was a nother time when I was walking round and saw a bee on a flower just doing its thing and it for some reason was just so humbling....all things natural were just enhanced intensely. Additionally, mescaline gave me one visual that I have never experienced on any other drug; tangible visuals. Imagine a surface of still water with some oil on the surface just dispersed; there was a similar film over my vision for the majority of the experience except instead of being mostly clear it was a very rainbow-y color and similar to how the oil on the surface of the water would react if you were to brush your fingers through it, the colorful oil-like film covering my whole field of vision was movable as I willed it to. It was really really cool, I could draw smiley faces out of rainbows and they would stay there in my filed of vision, yet this whole time I was totally communicable and controalable; ie: made myself dinner and talked to my parents on the phone for a few minutes at one point.

Overall Id totally recommend that If youre gunna play with mescaline, you might as well go for a high dose experience. It is, to date one of, if not the best drug experience in my life with some of the most incredible, unique visuals.
Good luck!!

How high have you dosed? (Just out of curiosity.) Either way, I appreciate the input, but it's not going to stop me from trying.... ?

One thing to bear in mind wandering is the taste of cactus snot, which is presumably what you'll need to ingest. Think of the worse thing you've ever tasted. Now multiply it by a thousand. Now imagine drinking it strained through an old tramps skid-marked underpants. And that doesn't even come close to drinking cactus snot.

It's akin to medieval torture. Usually I can manage one sip before just bringing the glass to my nose again makes me gip and vomit. Actually swallowing enough snot to trip is a major challenge for many people.

I didn't say or mean that it cannot be psychedelic, just that it tends to be clear like a lot of phenethylamines can be and that trippy psychedelia manifesting as dramatic or brutal disconnection from reality (such as with mushrooms or DPT, etc but also LSD when you push it). Even the OOBE's I had were very controlled and came in burst when I let them wash over me lying on a bed, until I decided to move onto other things while still feeling like my most native, deep, natural and pure self.
It did not fall short for me, I just heard this trend with synthetic mescaline before plenty of times before or besides this thread. If people expect reliable and potent LSD- or mushroom-like effects from 300 mg rather than MDMA-like empathy and a very special mindspace even less distorted than sobriety it is just possible they are surprised by that.
Look, taking a high dose of mescaline and exploring the psychedelic potential it also does have sounds great and there is nothing wrong with that... I was just trying to point out not to do it out of disregard for its invaluable therapeutic potential that may appear instead or before the more typical psychedelia you might be expecting.

D.M. Turner, interestingly enough, because he was a guy that took 10 grams of shrooms at a time and 500 ug LSD because of a permanent tolerance from constant use, said mescaline was the most visual of all the psychedelics he took. Mescaline seems to be an extremely variable experience. It is always reported as warm and gentle, but it ranges from my experience of blandness to full blown psychedelia. I advise 700 mg minimum to start, it seems safer to start with a high dose than other psychedelics. I'll be going for a gram, dissolved in water next time. Or perhaps I'll look into Bridgesii. I really don't get why people have such a tough time scarfing down nasty tasting things, I've never had that problem. Then again, I've never had cactus sap. I still predict I'll have no problems though. I should go on Fear Factor. I'd win 50 grand and get to trip with Joe Rogan, lmao

Each to his own. But if anyone is expecting mescaline to be as psychedelic and explosive as a dose of oral DMT then I think they'll be disappointed. Very, very disappointed. Oral DMT is like an atomic bomb, mescaline is like a paper bag going pop.

Why is it taken in such conservative doses? Well, if you try eating that much mesc. in cactus form, you'll find its hard to get such a dose in your stomach, so the traditional doses definitely aren't that sky-high. And I will say I got a bit of a headache at 700 mg. It felt harder on the body than mushrooms or LSD, although LSD definitely feels like it leaves a more permanent change in perception. Terence McKenna noted it was harder than most psychs on the body too, and he noted it wasn't even CLOSE to the visionary potential of the indoles. McKenna was not a fan of mescaline, too soft on the psychedelia, too hard on the body for him.

Not as rough as say, MDMA though, of course. I used to experiment with deleriants as well (diphenhydramine), and you're right, almost nothing is as miserable as that, lmao. The reliably induced telepathy was cool, but not worth the brain damage. Mescaline's cool, but honestly, I don't feel like I would have gotten much more out of it if I'd taken the full gram, the 300 mg trip wasn't even that much less powerful than the 700 mg. There was a difference, but not a fantastic amount. Aldous Huxley favoured LSD when he discovered it.

Nick Sand liked mescaline a lot though, he said that it, along with ibogaine and DMT were the most "pure" compounds, with DMT being the most "pure". I don't know what he meant by "pure".

It is quite a weak compound dose wise, compared to other psychedelic doses, you have to eat a lot of material. I think ibogaine's the only other one with a similar dose strength, and its also notoriously hard on the body, although mesc. is much easier on the body than ibogaine. I actually wouldn't recommend ibogaine, I've never taken it, but in high doses it causes neurodegeneration, which other psychedelics do not in similar doses.

I've pretty well finished exploring different compounds, I've dabbled in RC's and found them either un-enjoyable (2C-B, DOx) or fun with sketchy side effects (25i-NBOME and HPPD/plastic brain feeling), and the only ones I find notable that I haven't tried (ibogaine and 5-meo-dmt) don't sound fun. Mescaline too bland, psilocybin too crazy and anxious...LSD+MDMA (never one without the other) and DMT are the only psychedelics I use now. I just explore the mind now, not the compounds. I might retire on mescaline.

And no, I don't anticipate going for the 1200 dose. The people who have taken those in the literature (Leary, I think Kesey, some other Millbrook people), and a guy I know who took 22 hits of what I think was AL-LAD....they either stopped taking acid altogether, or they never too such a dose again and went back to regular doses. If I want to go there I'd rather take a normal dose of DMT than an overdose of something else.

Well that makes sense about the cactus, but I'm talking about pure mescaline here. The cactus has other alkaloids too to mix things up; obviously if you wanted more out of mescaline then you should eat larger doses than you would get from the cactus. The sky's the limit with that. I guess people just care more about body load than I do, or are maybe just more sensitive to it, I don't know.... As long as I know a dose of something is still safe such things don't really bother me. The reason I used deliriants so much is because the hallucinations were well worth the crappy feeling. Though, as you said, not worth the brain damage.... That's why I'm sticking to genuinely safe things now. But if mescaline isn't as hard on the body as even MDMA then I really don't see what the problem is. I've never had a single complaint about the body effects from MDMA either, just pure euphoria even in very high doses.

"Pure", eh.... It would be interesting to know what was meant by that. Particularly considering what he grouped it with....

See though, the dose wise means nothing to me. If you have to eat more, you have to eat more. That doesn't factor into what I consider the strength of a drug. As far as mescaline and ibogaine go, there's no comparison as far as I see it. Mescaline is only hard on the body in terms of having a stimulating effect; it is not truly hard on the body in any significant way until absolutely absurd doses are taken, it's just a heavy body high to handle. Ibogaine on the other hand is genuinely hard on you, it's known to have the potential to cause or exacerbate heart problems. That's probably the biggest reason why I wouldn't take it.

I still want to explore RC tryptamines and mescaline, but that's it for me, as far as new drugs go that is. I've already been down the path of potential body and brain damage enough to never want to try anything again that's not ridiculously safe.... I'm honestly not even sure how I feel about MDMA anymore. Not for safety concerns, but just because it started to seem kind of shallow for me after a while. I can get how with a psychedelic it would be better, but without it... eh?

Well, like I said, to each their own. My huge dose of LSD (on blotter, no idea of the measurement) did nothing but make me want to push waaay further. I'd take 3+ mg if I ever got the chance, though I don't personally ever want to take LSD again if I can't be totally sure that I know what and how much I'm getting.

Ive only done mescaline once at 750mg of the HCl salt taken in 2x 325mg pills, 30 min apart to avoid nausea, and it was once the greatest drug experiences I've done. It was unique tin that it was like a combination of all the best parts of a lot of drugs Ive done; Clearheaded like the 2cs usually are, but as colorful if not more colorful than a 300+ug dose of LSD. It was also very euphoric and happy like MDMA, but not as intense and was much more relaxing than it was stimulating. In fact it was a very lazy drug, and that was an aspect of it that i didn't expect going in. As far as the visuals, they were the most organic of all my drug experiences ever. Incredible trails on all movement that would have a full rainbow behind them, and all things natural I found I had a greatly heightened appreciation for. For example there were so many birds that day and I could swear they were all there for me and then at one point a hawk swooped down within 15 feet of me and my tripping buddy who was on the same dose as I was and the trails behind the bird and were so beautiful. Then there was a nother time when I was walking round and saw a bee on a flower just doing its thing and it for some reason was just so humbling....all things natural were just enhanced intensely. Additionally, mescaline gave me one visual that I have never experienced on any other drug; tangible visuals. Imagine a surface of still water with some oil on the surface just dispersed; there was a similar film over my vision for the majority of the experience except instead of being mostly clear it was a very rainbow-y color and similar to how the oil on the surface of the water would react if you were to brush your fingers through it, the colorful oil-like film covering my whole field of vision was movable as I willed it to. It was really really cool, I could draw smiley faces out of rainbows and they would stay there in my filed of vision, yet this whole time I was totally communicable and controalable; ie: made myself dinner and talked to my parents on the phone for a few minutes at one point.

Overall Id totally recommend that If youre gunna play with mescaline, you might as well go for a high dose experience. It is, to date one of, if not the best drug experience in my life with some of the most incredible, unique visuals.
Good luck!!

You know, I've actually noticed a lot of trip reports lately that said they got great effects from spacing out the dose.... Does mescaline effect it's own metabolism? (Sort of like DXM?) I wonder....

That sounds like a wonderful experience. ^_^ I've actually heard that before, about it being somewhat sedating... but mostly on the body, like the laziness you said, but still with a significant amount of mental stimulation. Was that your experience? But that all sounds great! The film thing is really cool, and I love that you drew a smiley face. X) That sounds so neat, I would love to experience that on any psychedelic!

It certainly increases my motivation to try those high doses. :) Thanks for the anecdote and the well wishes!

One thing to bear in mind wandering is the taste of cactus snot, which is presumably what you'll need to ingest. Think of the worse thing you've ever tasted. Now multiply it by a thousand. Now imagine drinking it strained through an old tramps skid-marked underpants. And that doesn't even come close to drinking cactus snot.

It's akin to medieval torture. Usually I can manage one sip before just bringing the glass to my nose again makes me gip and vomit. Actually swallowing enough snot to trip is a major challenge for many people.

I'm talking about pure mescaline here, extracted or otherwise, taken in capsule form, not cactus juice, so I'm not worried about that. The cacti don't fall into my definition of "known safety", at least as far as huge doses go.... Mescaline being tested and known to be safe doesn't mean the same thing for the cacti. I'd certainly like to use the cacti one day as well, but I wouldn't megadose them like I would the pure stuff. Maybe at the most take a good dose of cacti and supplement it with pure stuff... that sounds like fun.

I didn't say or mean that it cannot be psychedelic, just that it tends to be clear like a lot of phenethylamines can be and that trippy psychedelia manifesting as dramatic or brutal disconnection from reality (such as with mushrooms or DPT, etc but also LSD when you push it). Even the OOBE's I had were very controlled and came in burst when I let them wash over me lying on a bed, until I decided to move onto other things while still feeling like my most native, deep, natural and pure self.
It did not fall short for me, I just heard this trend with synthetic mescaline before plenty of times before or besides this thread. If people expect reliable and potent LSD- or mushroom-like effects from 300 mg rather than MDMA-like empathy and a very special mindspace even less distorted than sobriety it is just possible they are surprised by that.
Look, taking a high dose of mescaline and exploring the psychedelic potential it also does have sounds great and there is nothing wrong with that... I was just trying to point out not to do it out of disregard for its invaluable therapeutic potential that may appear instead or before the more typical psychedelia you might be expecting.

Well, all I was responding to was how you said that it doesn't seem to do a whole lot... which seemed quite contradictory to your description of it before, which sounded incredible to me. As I already said before, it was my non-hallucinogenic introspective cannabis experiences that helped me more than any heavy psychedelic trip I ever had. I'm not interested in using only high doses of mescaline; I want to see everything that it has to offer, and those therapeutic effects sound like what I need more than anything. And I haven't been expecting any such thing from 300 mg.... In fact, it's been my plan, as long as I have a good amount of product to work with, to start with 50 mg and move up from there. I was expecting to go through several hopefully useful doses before even beginning to get visuals. I care about using psychedelics to help my life at least as much as I care about using them to explore my mind.

I've never had a single complaint about the body effects from MDMA either, just pure euphoria even in very high doses.

I'm honestly not even sure how I feel about MDMA anymore. Not for safety concerns, but just because it started to seem kind of shallow for me after a while. I can get how with a psychedelic it would be better, but without it... eh?

Well, like I said, to each their own. My huge dose of LSD (on blotter, no idea of the measurement) did nothing but make me want to push waaay further. I'd take 3+ mg if I ever got the chance, though I don't personally ever want to take LSD again if I can't be totally sure that I know what and how much I'm getting.

I care about using psychedelics to help my life at least as much as I care about using them to explore my mind.

I've never had issues with body load from MDMA, my max dose has been 400 mg which I've done a couple times, but now the most I'll do is 150 mg with 75 mg 1.5 hours later, and even then I feel a little on the sketchy side, usually stick with 100 mg+50 mg 1.5 hours later. Often I don't even take a booster. Its not so much the bodyload as that my brain feels....burnt. Like it got razed by something. Not good for the physical brain for sure, I only take it every 3 months. Mescaline didn't do that to my brain, but it did feel somewhat "strained" I guess I should say. But, I'm not bashing mescaline for its safety profile, at all, as far as side effects go, mescaline's very chill.

And yeah, I never take MDMA without LSD, I consider LSD to be the teacher, MDMA is just a guide that helps increase the empathy and sociability. Acid's the cake, MDMA's icing. Cake can stand alone, icing is just...blech, sickly sweet! Ken Kesey called it "the acid test", I call MDMA "the teacher's assistant", hahaha.

And yeah, that's what I thought too with acid. When I took 8 hits of what I think was AL-LAD, I was confident going into 2 hits of orange sunshine. Mistake. The possible AL-LAD wasn't by any means weak either, at 1 hit alone people would see faces morph, have some telepathy, strong visuals, even hallucinations (my friend saw little boats on a lake where there were no boats, little people walking around on them!) it was great, I almost rank it better than actual LSD. I didn't get the full on hallucinations btw, but other people other than my friend did.

But, I don't know what dose it was, I just know it was stronger than most blotter I've had, and 8 hits of it was not as strong as 600 ug of top quality LSD.

And about caring about psychedelics to help your life as much as to explore your mind. I basically got into psychedelics to explore my mind. I was seeking "powers" actually, telepathy, and I found it! It was on the AL-LAD, I had numerous telepathic experiences on one trip with it. I've had others where I think it was going on, but it wasn't confirmed like that one particular trip, the parties involved all experienced it then. People often call bullshit, but all I say to that is; look at the psychedelic pioneers. Tim Leary mentioned it, Owsley Stanley mentioned it, Tom Wolfe in his book talked about it, even the Neurosoup chick. And yes, neurosoup girl is a ditz, which brings me to my point; the more arcane aspects of these experiences, aren't the point, they don't imply merit.

In Buddhism they talk about how as you progress through meditative states called Jhanas, you may begin developing "siddhis", powers. But, they basically ignore them. Its a side effect. With psychedelics for me at this point, the entire point is helping me become a better person, I don't go out looking for crazy visuals or telepathy, or any of that. If I experience it, it makes me happy and feel wonder at the nature of reality and mind, but its a sidenote. The biggest lesson I have learned in my years of tripping, is seek these substances for spiritual maturity. Everything else is bonus, not the main course. And, funny enough, when you seek substantial things like improvement as a human being rather than silly light shows and parlor tricks, that's when the truly powerful experiences manifest most greatly. One of those weird things about life! You get those things, by not going for them. They are side effects, of greater things. Just like how the Buddhists seek the meditation, not the powers that result from the meditation. But seeking the meditation, the power comes.

I'm talking about pure mescaline here, extracted or otherwise, taken in capsule form, not cactus juice, so I'm not worried about that. The cacti don't fall into my definition of "known safety", at least as far as huge doses go.... Mescaline being tested and known to be safe doesn't mean the same thing for the cacti. I'd certainly like to use the cacti one day as well, but I wouldn't megadose them like I would the pure stuff. Maybe at the most take a good dose of cacti and supplement it with pure stuff... that sounds like fun.

It's just that finding "pure mescaline" is very, very unusual. Everyone I know has had to extract it from the cactus themselves. If someone just gives you a pill or a powder and says "That's mescaline" you can be 99% sure it's not. It will be 2c-b or some other research chemical that will kill you in a megadose.

Resurrecting this thread to ask if starting with 500/600mg of mescaline is reasonable? I'm all but sure that it is, but I'd like to convince a friend who might be hesitant. We're both fairly experienced with psychs of all stripes.

For instance, how would that compare with the mindfuck of 200ug LSD or 3.5g shrooms?

Also we're lucky enough to have Ondansetron for nausea/bodyload, so that won't be an issue.

I took 600mg of mescaline with about 40-50mg allylescaline, 140mg of MDA, and a nonspecific quantity of ketamine and BHO in the desert and came up while the sun rose, it was the most humbling experience to trip in the hot sun, stripped of being able to do anything but walk back and forth between my tent and the cold mountain stream that i would dip in every 20-40 minutes to cool down. I saw past memories come to life before me in the desert dust, beings looking down on me for what I'd done, and I cried at some point because I had given up loving myself and everyone around me, and when I remembered love it just hurt so bad to realize that I had forgotten it. When I came down I took a nap on the desert floor next to my car, woke up and I felt really good, like i wanted to give everyone hugs and help them out with things and make them sandwiches! lol

I learned about giving selflessly and receiving accordingly that trip, as well as a bunch of other hippy dippy shit

mescaline citrate ? mescaline hcl ? Need more input.

HCL

I took 600mg of mescaline with about 40-50mg allylescaline, 140mg of MDA, and a nonspecific quantity of ketamine and BHO in the desert and came up while the sun rose, it was the most humbling experience to trip in the hot sun, stripped of being able to do anything but walk back and forth between my tent and the cold mountain stream that i would dip in every 20-40 minutes to cool down. I saw past memories come to life before me in the desert dust, beings looking down on me for what I'd done, and I cried at some point because I had given up loving myself and everyone around me, and when I remembered love it just hurt so bad to realize that I had forgotten it. When I came down I took a nap on the desert floor next to my car, woke up and I felt really good, like i wanted to give everyone hugs and help them out with things and make them sandwiches! lol

I learned about giving selflessly and receiving accordingly that trip, as well as a bunch of other hippy dippy shit

That sounds amazing!

LSD is realistic like a dream is realistic. Mushrooms feel like they take me to an extremely trippy other world; LSD feels like it takes me an extremely trippy version of the world we already inhabit.
LSD is 47 times it`s own weight in reality and when you take mushrooms, you learn something about yourself, mescaline?
I like the sound of pure mescaline, but at the moment I have access to cultivated williamsii lohophora and wonder how many buttons would have to be consumed.

I don´t trust anything related to that. Bad trippers sometimes get traumatic experiences..

ive taken multiple dose at 100, 200, 300, 400, 500 mg always from tea cactus.
at 500mg of cactus tea, it gives me a spiritual experience and a very beautiful visual effect, but its not strong on the visual side. music is incredible and synesthesia can occur but the mental aspect is very special and totally psy. hard to describe, but anything under 500mg for me is fun, but never spiritual.
My next attempt will be 1000mg of cactus tar and very soon. will report

ive seen to often people comparing hcl to real cactus tea and everyone say that the mescaline extraction removes some of the important effect of a mescaline experience.
just like you cant acheive the same state with dmt and harmala extraction compared to a brew, same with mescaline I would suppose.

Each to his own. But if anyone is expecting mescaline to be as psychedelic and explosive as a dose of oral DMT then I think they'll be disappointed. Very, very disappointed. Oral DMT is like an atomic bomb, mescaline is like a paper bag going pop.
that depends on dosage

Man I love 2C-E. I bet I'd love mescaline - from what I've read it sounds similar but better.

Does synthetic mescaline cause as strong nausea as raw or extracted cactus powder once in place in the stomach?
Is wrapping it into a bit of little paper and swallowing it with water good enough or would you need gel capsules...?

Well, I tried it. Bit nauseous during the come-up, but after an hour it subsided. Wonderful airy high, very mellow and kind, but the body load was a real downer I think. Was not able to sleep until early morning too cause of the stimulating effect.
I took around 400mg, is there any way to eliminate the body load if you take higher doses? Like, cannabis? I have never taken a psychedelic which felt so kind, it would be really nice to try it in higher doses but I'm afraid the body load will ruin the experience.
Love Jaia