View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

High dose mescaline experiences....

Wandering Girl

Bluelighter
Lately I've been really wanting to finally give mescaline a try. I've pretty much lost all interest in phenethylamine derivatives in general in order to focus on the visionary potential of tryptamines, but mescaline is still one that interests me. I have had very euphoric experiences on high doses of 2C-I, probably more raw euphoria than I've ever experienced on anything ever, but the hallucinogenic effects just weren't completely what I was looking for. But I've heard from friends who have tried both that the euphoria of mescaline and 2C-I is similar, but that mescaline is far better. And I'd reckon that it's also much safer.... Another thing I've heard though that separates mescaline out from the crowd is that it's hallucinations compare to tryptamines, even DMT by some accounts, in higher doses. Combined with dopamine agonism like LSD and beta-adrenergic antagonism, which would definitely help me with general anxiety and fears about my blood pressure, it sounds like a dream come true. From all the decent trip reports I've read it definitely does sound like the kind of experience I'm looking for.

I've heard people mention offhand that they know people who took huge doses, things like three grams or more.... I'm not necessarily asking about doses that high, but I am interested in learning more about its potential in what would be considered the "normal" large dose range. Does it really have that much visionary potential as people say? Is it possible to reach something like a breakthrough on it? For the sake of discussion here let's say I'm asking about mescaline alone, NOT the cacti alkaloid blend. I want to know what just mescaline can do by itself.

Does anyone have any high dose experiences to share? I would love to hear them and I appreciate all input!

From my experience, mescaline can produce some nice visuals but they never are the focal point of the trip. Even at 400mg of the hydrochloride salt, I was too immersed in the experience to really care about the visuals most of the time. If I happened to look at the wall, it was covered in intricate patterns with neon coloring reminiscent of LSD (I found most tryptamines to have more organic colors like greens, yellows, and browns, earthy tones really) but the headspace always guided me away from them.

I've taken mescaline in doses between 300mg and 750mg and I found that I was just as happy at 500mg as I was at 750mg, in fact I'd say that qualitatively, 750mg had a slightly higher bodyload with only mildly increased effects.

Comparing mescaline with something as dirty as 2C-I is doing it a huge disservice. The euphoria from mescaline is like a softer version of MDMA more than any of the 2-carbon knock-offs and the whole experience is blissful.

It is something that I highly recommend.

The visionary potential refers to the actual visions which are completely independent of the visuals from the drug. I've had a few of them and they're less confusing than smoked DMT and they tend to follow a logical pattern that revolves around your life experience unlike most drugs. It doesn't seem to blast you with abstract concepts that make no logical sense if you know what I'm saying.

Thanks for the response! :)

What would you say that the headspace of the trip is like? Similar to the way you described the visions? It sounds sort of like my mindset on more psychedelic doses of cannabis, particularly with low tolerance. And can you expand upon what you mean when you say visions exactly? I was thinking just like vivid thought processes until you said that you've "had a few", which makes me wonder. Is it along the lines of an OBE or closed-eye scenery or something like that? If either of those are the case then I would still include them in what I call the visuals, so I thought I'd ask.

I was really just comparing mescaline to 2C-I to point out how 2C-I sucks, haha. I mean, I liked it and all... but I'm waaaaay more interested in mescaline. I think it probably has more potential than you give it from that analogy though, but maybe not until doses above 1000 mg.... My recklessly high dose of 2C-I was several times more euphoric than any survivable dose of MDMA could be. It was unbelievably overwhelming; combined with the visuals it was basically like being at the center of a spiritual orgy and not being able to do anything but lie there and take it. That's part of what makes me so interested in mescaline.... If mescaline can feel even better than that with a high enough dose, and if it has the full visionary psychedelic potential I often hear about, something that I don't feel really applies that much to 2C-I (especially at safer doses), then I think it would pretty much have to be my favorite experience.

Out of curiosity, what is a threshold dose of mescaline for you? I've heard it can vary a bit for people.

The problem with 2C-I versus mescaline is that 2C-I at any dose (I took it up to 44mg) has very little in the way of a mental component. I found the mental component of mescaline to be more profound than that of even acid. It is hard to characterize it because it is so unique. Acid has that pushy and suggestive mind state that can make or break a trip. Mescaline has a mind state that is much gentler but every bit as profound as LSD is and it happens at pretty much any active dose.

When I say visions, it is hard to describe. I remember one time I was sitting there with my eyes open and I saw in my mind's eye a full regression of my path that showed how I got to where I was at that point in my life, highlighting my mistakes along the way. I can't really compare it to anything else because nothing else ever gave me visions. DMT was like transcending into other dimensions themselves, salvia was like its own dimension but mescaline brings your consciousness to a state of being in total sync with the dimension that we spend every day on.

I think that you're looking for something with mescaline that you won't find. Mescaline is more of a teacher and a tool than anything else. It doesn't really lend itself to outright hedonism like 2-carbon phenethylamines, empathogenic methamphetamines and such do. Sure it feels absolutely wonderful but that isn't the focal point of the experience. I can't even really describe it in terms of the ego because it doesn't seem to trigger any real ego death for me but yet the ego fades into the background.

Everything that I said, thought, or did on mescaline was pretty much like a manifestation of my own consciousness being enhanced by the drug. It all seemed very deliberate, like I was being guided through the experience by someone or something. The word "control" never once crossed my mind any of the times that I did it and I always try to take control of my psychedelic experiences and guide them where I want them to go. In that way, the 2-carbon phens are more user friendly than mescaline I guess. Even with 2C-E I was able to give the trip a push in the direction that I wanted it to go. With mescaline, there was none of that at all. At the same time, I never started to enter a truly dark space with mescaline that would cause me to want to control anything.

The best way that I can describe it is that everything that was going on was just a normal day in my life but everything was highly enhanced, very spiritual, etc.

As for threshold - I never took a threshold dose. When I obtained it, I wasn't sure that I was going to receive any more than what I received initially so I didn't want to waste any. I started at 350mg which was anything but threshold.

Well, the first time I tried mescaline, I was aiming for 500 mg. but as soon as the first 250 mg. hit me (which happened much quicker than expected - even on an empty stomach early in the morning), I never got around to taking that second one, nor did I feel the need. It was a pretty powerful, beautiful and humbling experience, and much stronger than I would have expected with that dose. I've only done mescaline of times, but damn, it's got a character of its own and a classic psychedelic alright. Right up there with the other classics - psilocybin, lsd, dmt, 5-meo-dmt. Amazing substance, I found.

Quite a lot of what MagicalKat described rings true with me as well. It was a gentle, impressive, strong but kind teacher. :)

Well, the first time I tried mescaline, I was aiming for 500 mg. but as soon as the first 250 mg. hit me (which happened much quicker than expected - even on an empty stomach early in the morning), I never got around to taking that second one, nor did I feel the need.

Isn't it weird how you don't really have a desire to take the trip higher? I've always been known as a compulsive doser but I never redosed on mescaline. Honestly even my higher dose experiences didn't really seem like they were totally necessary and more than likely would have produced the same or a very similar trip with less material.

I have taken it at 300 and 450 mg and was somewhat disappointed about the lack of typical psychedelia such as trippy OEVs even at 450 mg but it was already plenty empathogenic and psychotherapeutic at 300 mg and strongly visionary at 450 mg. Also at 300 mg I had OOBE ego death type effects that were at the same time extremely intense but in the most gentle way I can imagine when compared to other psychedelics. Among other things it feels comfortable and trustworthy and simple pure and uncomplicated which LSD or mushrooms often are not.

It's a bit hard to explain the difference between visions and CEVs but for me the visions were much more absorbing, immersive and meaningful and the experience was very dissociating, it made me lose contact with my surroundings and replaced my sense of reality or self or basically any other form of awareness. The visions were instructive and made me feel that I wanted to be a good person to myself and to others. I think it is introspection combined with a truly generous gift of love, compassion and peace that enable such an experience. Receiving those feelings or values and seeing your life in perspective are very suggestive and it becomes self-evident that sharing that with others is intrinsic to them.

Mescaline is very valuable to me and special like DMT or 5-MeO-DMT in that their transformational or life-changing potential relies less on set and setting. Then again, that is a sort of self-fulfilling or self-affirming effect since it seems more likely that these pure and powerful substances become used in good set and settings.

Looking back wanting mescaline to be more psychedelic in a trippy way was silly of me. There are more than enough other psychedelics to do that, and if I am honest those effects are interesting or valuable in a much more superficial way. I'm happy how mescaline is instead and how it can really matter.

I won't judge if people are interested taking mescaline in much higher doses, but if people want it to be something it's not, or does not tend to be... that seems like a recipe for denial and disappointment. Or better said: allowing the experience to just be the way it is and opening up to it should make it more likely to get something wonderful out of it while hoping for preconceptions and expectations to be realized may just turn out to be a waste of time.

Last edited:
I have taken 500 and 600 mgs of mescaline sulfate (less potent than HCl). I wish I had more under my belt but it's a rare find. MagickalKat777 described the experience very well -- the visuals for me have been a minor note, more of a brightness and "extra" life feeling in what I looked at. A sense of getting lost in the item I was viewing; vision turned into theater. I do think 2ce and 2ci and even the TMA series have elements of mescaline, but lacked its depth and kindness.

I would love to turn up the dial on the mescaline experiences I've had, but I think that as a few people have mentioned the negative body effects start to exponentially increase as dosage goes up.

Thanks again for the responses you guys, I really appreciate it. =D

The problem with 2C-I versus mescaline is that 2C-I at any dose (I took it up to 44mg) has very little in the way of a mental component. I found the mental component of mescaline to be more profound than that of even acid. It is hard to characterize it because it is so unique. Acid has that pushy and suggestive mind state that can make or break a trip. Mescaline has a mind state that is much gentler but every bit as profound as LSD is and it happens at pretty much any active dose.

When I say visions, it is hard to describe. I remember one time I was sitting there with my eyes open and I saw in my mind's eye a full regression of my path that showed how I got to where I was at that point in my life, highlighting my mistakes along the way. I can't really compare it to anything else because nothing else ever gave me visions. DMT was like transcending into other dimensions themselves, salvia was like its own dimension but mescaline brings your consciousness to a state of being in total sync with the dimension that we spend every day on.

I think that you're looking for something with mescaline that you won't find. Mescaline is more of a teacher and a tool than anything else. It doesn't really lend itself to outright hedonism like 2-carbon phenethylamines, empathogenic methamphetamines and such do. Sure it feels absolutely wonderful but that isn't the focal point of the experience. I can't even really describe it in terms of the ego because it doesn't seem to trigger any real ego death for me but yet the ego fades into the background.

Everything that I said, thought, or did on mescaline was pretty much like a manifestation of my own consciousness being enhanced by the drug. It all seemed very deliberate, like I was being guided through the experience by someone or something. The word "control" never once crossed my mind any of the times that I did it and I always try to take control of my psychedelic experiences and guide them where I want them to go. In that way, the 2-carbon phens are more user friendly than mescaline I guess. Even with 2C-E I was able to give the trip a push in the direction that I wanted it to go. With mescaline, there was none of that at all. At the same time, I never started to enter a truly dark space with mescaline that would cause me to want to control anything.

The best way that I can describe it is that everything that was going on was just a normal day in my life but everything was highly enhanced, very spiritual, etc.

As for threshold - I never took a threshold dose. When I obtained it, I wasn't sure that I was going to receive any more than what I received initially so I didn't want to waste any. I started at 350mg which was anything but threshold.

That sounds wonderful.... LSD has by far my favorite headspace of what I've experienced so far, so saying that mescaline is more profound makes my mouth water lol. It definitely sounds like an incredible experience, you paint a beautiful picture of it.

The visions sound interesting.... I've experienced something along that lines only a couple times before. Once was on cannabis, which made me feel quite schizo for a moment because it was so unexpected... but it turned out to just be a unique experience. However, the vision itself was much more cartoony and asbtract than what you described. The other time was from a lower dose of amanitas, just enough to really get any kind of mental effects at all. I don't remember much of the content, but it was mostly delirious nonsense... it's really just the eyes open and mind's eye stuff you said that made me think of it. In that case I can kind of get what you're talking about; I would love to experience that on a psychedelic and actually have some meaning to it.

Don't get me wrong.... The idea of the incredible euphoria is only something that makes me even more excited for it, not my reason for wanting to try it. If I was only looking for that then I would still be using phenethylamines in general, but like I said, I'm completely ditching them aside from mescaline in favor of tryptamines. What you described sounds 100% like what I'm looking for... it's what makes me so interested in mescaline in the first place, the fact that it actually is a teacher like the tryptamines and generally unlike other phenethylamines. I'm looking for something truly eye-opening, and I just like the fact that it can take place on a phenethylamine-type high as opposed to a tryptamine one, because I definitely like mindset of the tryptamines way better than synthetic phenethylamines but the overall feeling of the phenethylamines just rocks, but it's not enough. That's why I can say that 2C-I is lacking even though I also say it gave me the best euphoria of my life; it's unbelievably shallow, and indeed doesn't get significantly more mental even as high as 90 mg.

Well, the first time I tried mescaline, I was aiming for 500 mg. but as soon as the first 250 mg. hit me (which happened much quicker than expected - even on an empty stomach early in the morning), I never got around to taking that second one, nor did I feel the need. It was a pretty powerful, beautiful and humbling experience, and much stronger than I would have expected with that dose. I've only done mescaline of times, but damn, it's got a character of its own and a classic psychedelic alright. Right up there with the other classics - psilocybin, lsd, dmt, 5-meo-dmt. Amazing substance, I found.

Quite a lot of what MagicalKat described rings true with me as well. It was a gentle, impressive, strong but kind teacher. :)

Hearing things like this makes me so excited to try it. ^_^ It really is hard to beat those classics in... well... pretty much any way if you ask me, so if mescaline truly ranks among them then I'm sure I'll love it! I hope I can get the same effects you can from 250 mg, haha. Unfortunately I'll probably need more than the average person.... It usually works that way. >w<

I have taken it at 300 and 450 mg and was somewhat disappointed about the lack of typical psychedelia such as trippy OEVs even at 450 mg but it was already plenty empathogenic and psychotherapeutic at 300 mg and strongly visionary at 450 mg. Also at 300 mg I had OOBE ego death type effects that were at the same time extremely intense but in the most gentle way I can imagine when compared to other psychedelics. Among other things it feels comfortable and trustworthy and simple pure and uncomplicated which LSD or mushrooms often are not.

It's a bit hard to explain the difference between visions and CEVs but for me the visions were much more absorbing, immersive and meaningful and the experience was very dissociating, it made me lose contact with my surroundings and replaced my sense of reality or self or basically any other form of awareness. The visions were instructive and made me feel that I wanted to be a good person to myself and to others. I think it is introspection combined with a truly generous gift of love, compassion and peace that enable such an experience. Receiving those feelings or values and seeing your life in perspective are very suggestive and it becomes self-evident that sharing that with others is intrinsic to them.

Mescaline is very valuable to me and special like DMT or 5-MeO-DMT in that their transformational or life-changing potential relies less on set and setting. Then again, that is a sort of self-fulfilling or self-affirming effect since it seems more likely that these pure and powerful substances become used in good set and settings.

Looking back wanting mescaline to be more psychedelic in a trippy way was silly of me. There are more than enough other psychedelics to do that, and if I am honest those effects are interesting or valuable in a much more superficial way. I'm happy how mescaline is instead and how it can really matter.

I won't judge if people are interested taking mescaline in much higher doses, but if people want it to be something it's not, or does not tend to be... that seems like a recipe for denial and disappointment. Or better said: allowing the experience to just be the way it is and opening up to it should make it more likely to get something wonderful out of it while hoping for preconceptions and expectations to be realized may just turn out to be a waste of time.

That's so interesting about its effects! All this talk is making me wonder if it has a more non-5-HT2A-focused trip at those doses, like 5-MeO-DMT.... The way you mention it as dissociative makes me wonder if the dopamine receptors are playing a role there. I think that could account for some of the visionary stuff too.... I don't know, cool to think about though. It would make a lot of sense considering how insanely similar it is to dopamine in structure....

I think I've got a good idea of what you guys are saying here. I'm very pumped to give it a run one day. :D I used to be more all about the visual distortions and stuff too, and I still think that stuff is really cool, but over the years my ideas about what tripping is has changed quite a bit. Honestly what has helped me more than anything is lots of introspection on psychedelic but non-visual doses of cannabis. My only gripe about that is that it's harder to push much higher on it than that without it becoming mainly uncomfortable for me, which has had its own place in my psychedelic experiences in the past when I was more anxious, but isn't what I need right now.... I'm itching to experience the power of a full psychedelic again, and mescaline seems like a great way to do just that with the way I like it.

I probably will eventually move up to very high doses, but that's just what I do. I like seeing the absolute limits of human consciousness, so I tend to define my doses of a hallucinogen by it's maximum known safe potential, though I would still like to start smaller with things this time around than I did last time. Don't worry about preconceptions with me; pretty much the only thing I ever think about is what experiences might be like, but the only thing I ever truly expect out of them is for some intense and far from normal shit to happen. I haven't been disappointed by a psychedelic yet.

I'm particularly interested in the out-of-body ego death stuff you mentioned since you got it at regular doses! A gentle softening of ego seems to be a consistent theme here.... I also read a couple trip reports last night that seemed to follow suit, and just made me even more excited for it. I also found a couple reports and anecdotes of very strong or high dose experiments - yowza! 8o It definitely does have tryptamine-y hyperspatial potential by those accounts.

I have taken 500 and 600 mgs of mescaline sulfate (less potent than HCl). I wish I had more under my belt but it's a rare find. MagickalKat777 described the experience very well -- the visuals for me have been a minor note, more of a brightness and "extra" life feeling in what I looked at. A sense of getting lost in the item I was viewing; vision turned into theater. I do think 2ce and 2ci and even the TMA series have elements of mescaline, but lacked its depth and kindness.

I would love to turn up the dial on the mescaline experiences I've had, but I think that as a few people have mentioned the negative body effects start to exponentially increase as dosage goes up.

That enhancement of senses and feeling of life is definitely something I've gotten on 2C-I and 2C-B, but yeah, there was a lack of depth to it. It more just made the world seem neon, but it didn't make me particularly more interested in anything other than how bright the colors were. They almost feel more like sober trips... or at least something along the lines of amphetamine or MDMA but with visuals. I do still like that effect on vision though, and I think it would be way cooler with the kind of mindset you describe. :)

I'm willing to try higher doses of things to see what effect they have on my body before passing any judgements. People often warn about the body feeling of 2C-I becoming very uncomfortable but at a dose I took which is more than twice what people consider to be already high I had no negative bodyload whatsoever, just pure bliss from start to finish. Curiously, I have had more physical side effects at lower doses. I've heard people say similar things about other psychedelics too, particularly 5-MeO-MiPT, like you have to pass some kind of threshold for it to become comfortable again.... Could just vary from person to person though, who's to say? I'm certainly not worried about any form of toxicity from mescaline though, so I'm willing to risk suffering through it a bit so see how far I can take it!

I actually found my two mescaline hcl. experiences quite boring, I took 700 mg first time, 300 mg second (only had a gram), and found high quality LSD much more preferable. I puked about 45 minutes to an hour in, so perhaps that's what did it, but I still got quite high, but it was blah, and no visuals, beyond a certain sparkly-ness, and the road I was biking down seemed to extend in a weird way. I don't get visuals very easily though, it takes about 300 ug of LSD and about 5 grams of mush to get good visuals for me, unless the company I'm in is of the type that helps unlock the head. If I ever get it again I'm definitely taking a full gram, and probably going to mix it with water and choke a nasty solution down to make it absorb in me better. But, I probably won't, its too expensive, I'd rather get a bunch of high quality high dose acid instead. Jerry Garcia (or was it Ken Kesey? Same interview) definitely preferred acid....saw an interview where they mentioned peyote buttons being a precursor to the psychedelic movement and one of them said when acid came along it was "better technology". I think the problem with acid these days is its either a research chemical and not LSD, or its LSD but not of high quality (SUCH a difference quality makes), or its not a proper dose. 200 ug MINIMUM for a true LSD experience, 100 ug is a threshold. I think 300 ug is the sweet spot.

The only 2C drug I tried was 2C-B, not a fan, at all. Not really a fan of mushrooms either, although for different reasons from mesc. Mesc was nice, just sorta blah, mushrooms I find turn things sketchy, not as applicable for social experiences as LSD, which I think is what is best with psychedelics. Solo trips are alright, but I think the social element is extremely important. This is the reason I prefer taking MDMA with LSD, it helps fuel that social component so people can reach new heights with each other. Plus LSD extends MDMA duration from 4 hours to 6-7 hours, which is pretty cool.

For me, best trip is 100-150 mg MDMA with 300 ug LSD dosed at the same time or MDMA 4 hours after LSD ingestion, with possibly a supplement of half the inital dose of MDMA 1.5 hours after the first MDMA dose to extend the MDMA another hour or two...smoke 60-70 mg DMT in the 8th-10th hour after LSD ingestion if brave :)

Last edited:
How did your 700 mg and 300 mg experiences compare? Did you throw up both times?

To be honest, like 99% of the people I've ever talked to who have equal experience with both prefer mescaline to LSD... the people who don't say "you really can't compare psychedelics", anyway, but even those people rate them on at least the same level. Maybe I've just talked to the right small sample group, but that's been my experience. Obviously not everyone will feel that way... but I'd believe it. Don't get me wrong, I love LSD and it definitely has its place, but I'm at least as excited about mescaline if not more so. That's not to say that LSD wasn't genuinely better for Jerry Garcia, or Ken Kesey, or whoever said that, but that's just one opinion from a regular person like anyone else, regardless of what they've done. If you're just going by what other people say then from what I've seen so far mescaline is the overwhelming winner, but again, that's just been my personal experience. In any case, I certainly wouldn't discount it without even getting any significant level of effect from it!

2C-B didn't do a whole lot for me either, but I looove mushrooms. <3 I agree with the social thing, but I actually find mushrooms wonderful for that. It's not the same nootropic kind of communication as LSD, but it's still valid for me, but more spiritual or primal.... Even just sitting in nature and watching flowing water for example is something I would consider social.

About the combo, I find pretty much anything with MDMA fun but it's not quite the same for me. I find the effects of drugs alone to be much more fascinating than drugs in combination. For a better trip I'd rather just take more LSD. =D

I've never found mescaline particularly psychedelic. Certainly not compared to mushrooms or LSD and nowhere near a reasonable dose of oral DMT.

Remember Aldous Huxley - a frail elderly man who had never tripped in his life took 400mg and was fine with it, so what would be the kind of high dose you'd be taking? 1200mg? I think at that dose the speedy edge that mescaline can have would be uncomfortable.

If you want visuals go for oral DMT.

Having said that mescaline is a beautiful drug - very gentle, physically gorgeous but I'd put it more on the MDMA side than a heavy-duty tripping tool.

I saw that typo before you fixed it, talk about a heroic dose. X)

I would start with totally regular doses and move up. As far as keeping my options open go I would be willing to push up into the area of a couple grams or a little more.... Maybe higher if I come across reports of people pushing higher than that safely. It just depends on how it goes. Extremely heavy stimulation has not proven to be a deterrent for me in the past.

No amount of DMT visuals will satisfy my curiosity about mescaline; I don't consider psychedelics to be interchangeable. I didn't come here asking about mescaline's visionary potential because I'm interested in visuals, I asked it because I'm interested in mescaline, you know? And I've heard and read plenty to convince me that mescaline can be an extremely visual substance in its own right. The way you describe it, comparing it to MDMA, is pretty much how I generally hear people describe low doses of it, so it just makes me think that you'd probably have to dose higher on it. Like I said, I've noticed a lot of variability with it before... ranging from people who trip balls with 50 mg to people who get only a mild body high with 500 mg.

Well the 700 was definitely stronger (obviously), and yes I puked both times, a little sooner with the 700 mg. I also know people who have gotten visuals, although they had actual peyote. Tbh though, reading the reports on erowid, I don't think my experience is too unique, there's only one entry for a bad trip on there, the other bad trip entries were all combos, not mescaline alone. Its pretty easy going, warm and nice. I've heard statements like "its impossible to have a bummer on mescaline". It felt like a psychedelic I would be comfortable retiring on when I get old and if my mind is too twisted from the acid, hahah. It was the most similar to acid of any psychedelic I've taken, as far as the buzz went, but warmer rather than the cold feeling of acid. More "light". The problem was it didn't do anything WITH the light. What acid feels like to me, is it has the energy-light of mescaline (although colder and not as magnanimous-feeling), with the intellectual content of mushrooms (but not as anxious mind fuck confusing as mushrooms), and it fuses to something better than either of them. Not that taking mushrooms and mescaline simultaneously would be anything like acid, I just find acid has qualities of both.

I will say I haven't eaten mushrooms in a couple years though, and I was in a less mature headspace then. Now I might like them better. I don't think so though, they make me feel "crazy" even in low doses, acid doesn't, even in high doses.

I think mescaline is often misunderstood and mescaline-containing cacti also contain other alkaloids that turn it into a more potent psychedelic covering all bases. These latest posts mostly confirm that mescaline doesn't really seem to do a whole lot, but this does require some input of your own. A desperate soul would probably be much more likely to recognize its utility.
If you are just basically interesting in yet another psychedelic it may fall short if you don't have much use for it. Use like help with emotional dysfunction or the mission or goal of your life. MDMA also help with that, but it is very potent in a lot of ways which can easily make a person strive past core problems.
Be careful hoping that upping the dose of mescaline makes it deliver the rest at last... instead you would be better off finding a psychedelic more suited to your expectations and needs.

P.S. my 450 mg dose was with the HCl and my 300 mg dose was with an unknown form of gorgeously sparkling microcrystalline material.

I'd also like to point out the one bad trip report on erowid with mescaline alone, is given a disclaimer that says the chemical most likely was not mescaline. So yeah, mescaline basically has no bad trip reports on erowid, its the chillest psychedelic out there. I like it! Its just way too expensive, and I get a lot more out of high quality LSD in sufficient doses, 200-300 ug. And man, MDMA I find synergizes purrrfectly with LSD in a way that it does not with others (I disliked MDMA+mushrooms), I never take LSD without MDMA. As for just taking more LSD....I've taken 600 ug (two hits of orange sunshine laid with needlepoint grade LSD, the highest quality). 600 was too much. I might take 1200 someday if I want an out of body experience, but at 600 I spent part of the trip in a semi-fugue state. 300 ug is the sweet spot for me. That trip did end well though, once I came down from the fugue part! But there was a bit of time when the world was just swirling and I didn't really know who I was. 300 ug I'd compare to like 5 grams of shrooms (but with way more to it), so 600 would be like taking 10 grams. Most shrooms I ever took was eight grams....600 ug LSD was a lot stronger than that. I don't trust the purported dosages of street acid anymore, cuz I'd taken 8 hits of decent street acid before, and just 2 hits of the orange sunshine at a guaranteed dose of 600 ug was much more powerful than that experience.

No amount of DMT visuals will satisfy my curiosity about mescaline; I don't consider psychedelics to be interchangeable.

Ok, but you were talking in your original post about getting a visionary experience - I'm suggesting you'd just get more physical side effects than psychedelic effects.

so it just makes me think that you'd probably have to dose higher on it.

I don't think a higher dose makes it that much more psychedelic tho. And I've dosed pretty high. It simply isn't that kind of drug. Taking a higher dose will just give more speedy physical effects and more nausea. Mescaline simply isn't as psychedelic as mushrooms or LSD. I'm not saying that makes it bad - it's just not the kind of thing that's going to blow your head off.

As maat said - there's no bad trip reports ever on mescaline - that's because it's so gentle you can't trip hard enough to have a bad trip.

300 ug I'd compare to like 5 grams of shrooms (but with way more to it), so 600 would be like taking 10 grams.

Is that 5 fresh grams? So 0.5 dried grams? I wouldn't put it anywhere near 5 dried grams. As I've said Aldous Huxley took 400mg of sandoz mescaline for his first trip as an old man and he found it fine. I don't think giving him 5 dried grams of mushrooms for his first trip would have been as comfortable.

Is that 5 fresh grams? So 0.5 dried grams? I wouldn't put it anywhere near 5 dried grams. As I've said Aldous Huxley took 400mg of sandoz mescaline for his first trip as an old man and he found it fine. I don't think giving him 5 dried grams of mushrooms for his first trip would have been as comfortable.
I was talking about LSD, not mescaline. She said she didn't like taking MDMA with LSD and would rather "just take more" to have a more interesting trip, I was pointing out that going over 300 ug of LSD for me is too much and its way better to add MDMA. Mushrooms are way crazier than mescaline, lol. And of course I was talking about dry grams. ug is the symbol for microgram

Well the 700 was definitely stronger (obviously), and yes I puked both times, a little sooner with the 700 mg. I also know people who have gotten visuals, although they had actual peyote. Tbh though, reading the reports on erowid, I don't think my experience is too unique, there's only one entry for a bad trip on there, the other bad trip entries were all combos, not mescaline alone. Its pretty easy going, warm and nice. I've heard statements like "its impossible to have a bummer on mescaline". It felt like a psychedelic I would be comfortable retiring on when I get old and if my mind is too twisted from the acid, hahah. It was the most similar to acid of any psychedelic I've taken, as far as the buzz went, but warmer rather than the cold feeling of acid. More "light". The problem was it didn't do anything WITH the light. What acid feels like to me, is it has the energy-light of mescaline (although colder and not as magnanimous-feeling), with the intellectual content of mushrooms (but not as anxious mind fuck confusing as mushrooms), and it fuses to something better than either of them. Not that taking mushrooms and mescaline simultaneously would be anything like acid, I just find acid has qualities of both.

I will say I haven't eaten mushrooms in a couple years though, and I was in a less mature headspace then. Now I might like them better. I don't think so though, they make me feel "crazy" even in low doses, acid doesn't, even in high doses.

I don't think your experience was too unique either. It being easygoing and warm mirrors everything I've ever heard about, but that's not just because it's weak at those doses.... I've heard people say that even at doses where there ego vanished so fast that they didn't even notice. I just can't shake the feeling that it sounds like you're trying to make a fair comparison using full doses of LSD and low doses of mescaline... which obviously wouldn't work. LSD wouldn't do a whole lot with the light either at a dose that only produced a nice high and some sparkly-ness, you know?

I completely get your analogy between mushrooms, LSD, and mescaline though, and it actually does a pretty good job at explaining part of why I'm so interested in mescaline to begin with. Now again, I love both mushrooms and LSD... but I love what LSD does that mushrooms don't do so much more than what mushrooms do do that the idea of getting to try something that does only those things (i.e., mescaline) is actually more tantalizing than the thought of having them combined together. An example using something already mentioned in this thread... is that I like my hallucinogens to tend toward the realistic, if you know what I'm saying. I mean, don't get me wrong; mushrooms can obviously be quite realistic, that tryptamine breakthrough potential. But they're so... alien or virtual, at the same time. LSD is realistic like a dream is realistic. Mushrooms feel like they take me to an extremely trippy other world; LSD feels like it takes me an extremely trippy version of the world we already inhabit. Now, there's obviously some of those crazy abstract properties as well, because I mean like you said, it has qualities of mushrooms too... but it has way more of that realism for me than mushrooms do. From all that I've heard about mescaline, it just sounds like it's even further down that road... a very high amount of the latter compared to the former. Even MagicalKat777's first post in this thread supports that, saying that the visions follow logical patterns unlike the abstract concepts of DMT. Reports of high doses reinforce this feeling in me as well. That's part of what makes me so intrigued in it.

That's another thing too, about the spectrum of mushrooms to mescaline. Just as LSD is more lucid than mushrooms, mescaline sounds significantly more lucid even than that, which sounds magnificent to me... though I actually do love the craziness of mushrooms too, hehe.

I think mescaline is often misunderstood and mescaline-containing cacti also contain other alkaloids that turn it into a more potent psychedelic covering all bases. These latest posts mostly confirm that mescaline doesn't really seem to do a whole lot, but this does require some input of your own. A desperate soul would probably be much more likely to recognize its utility.
If you are just basically interesting in yet another psychedelic it may fall short if you don't have much use for it. Use like help with emotional dysfunction or the mission or goal of your life. MDMA also help with that, but it is very potent in a lot of ways which can easily make a person strive past core problems.
Be careful hoping that upping the dose of mescaline makes it deliver the rest at last... instead you would be better off finding a psychedelic more suited to your expectations and needs.

P.S. my 450 mg dose was with the HCl and my 300 mg dose was with an unknown form of gorgeously sparkling microcrystalline material.

I think that's a pretty quick jump to conclusions, Solipsis.... The very small handful of people in this thread saying they didn't get much out of it doesn't even come remotely near the number of reports of pure mescaline I've heard where people got thoroughly powerful psychedelic effects. I'm actually quite surprised to hear you say that considering how you spoke about mescaline earlier.

This is from a report on 900 mg of mescaline acetate, the very first link that comes up on Google if you search for "high dose mescaline".

"i lay down and let the visions/trance take me. i saw amazing patterns, mostly in red and gold, but all other colors, deeply saturated, were there. Strange and gorgeous patterns, like Mayan meeting ultra-futuristic. There was also a coptic theme to the imagery - kind of like the cross in this link http://ukmidcopts.org/ho...mp;id=26&Itemid=38. i saw a electric, glowing cactus, with outline waves of light coming off of it - perhaps an image of the cactus that produced the mescaline but in its natural state. Also there was a fantastic spinning molecular structure that looked like (I don't have the language!) unspun alien DNA. As i lay on the bed, i felt like i was afloat on a gentle sea . . . moving with gentle fronds caressing and weird noises surrounding. At times i curled into a moaning ball, sometimes with a few tears, and felt distinctly like i was dying. My limbs shook literally for hours with what can only be described as resistance. i had visual, audio & tactile hallucinations throughout the height of the experience. After like 6 hours i thought i had to use the bathroom, but getting to the toilet was like venturing through an alien spaceship, and after sitting there for an interminable time, i could not get my bladder to work. This is only a taste of the tip of the mescaline experience iceberg.

i watched my fat brown cat, slowly transform in front of my eyes into a shiny, hard-shelled, purple, spherical alien!"

That definitely doesn't sound like nothing to me.... I've found a lot more, but mostly in the form of short anecdotes. There are plenty of people out there who attest to the power of higher doses of mescaline.

As far as pushing the dose goes, here's another short quote from another forum....

"A person I know made a spectacular mistake one night many years ago. He misunderstood what a chemist had told him and he managed to swallow 8 grams of pure mescaline sulfate in gelatin capsules. He describes the trip as being like he was wide awake in a dream. Lots of imagery similar to Homer's Odessey. He recovered in a day or two with no notable ill effects."

It's this kind of stuff that makes me question the drug culture's view on mescaline as a whole.... Why are we even calling 400-700 milligrams a normal to strong dose in the first place when it can be pushed so much further and so many people get so much more out of it at higher doses than that? I can understand why it was once set as that, but that was when people though that a gram or more could kill you. This quote is certainly the highest dose I've ever seen taken and it's a little ridiculous of course, but we've known for a long time that mescaline is safe in the order of several grams. Why are we still using such conservative doses and calling them "strong" when they could easily be only the very tip of the iceberg?

As for me personally pushing the dose... I get what you're saying, but it's kind of like what I said to Ismene.... That advice really doesn't apply to me here. I'm not looking for a psychedelic suited to my expectations and needs; I'm looking for mescaline. I am interested in whether or not mescaline can do many of the things I like of course, but I'm not trying it because I'm looking for any specific effects. I'm trying it because it's a psychoactive with an extremely high therapeutic index and, like I said, I like seeing the absolute limits of human consciousness. I would gladly take it in high doses knowing only of its therapeutic index and nothing else; all these other potential effects and intrigues are just bonuses, reasons I've become even more interested in it since I've started researching it. I promise you, as long as I get anything at all out of it I won't be disappointed.

I'd also like to point out the one bad trip report on erowid with mescaline alone, is given a disclaimer that says the chemical most likely was not mescaline. So yeah, mescaline basically has no bad trip reports on erowid, its the chillest psychedelic out there. I like it! Its just way too expensive, and I get a lot more out of high quality LSD in sufficient doses, 200-300 ug. And man, MDMA I find synergizes purrrfectly with LSD in a way that it does not with others (I disliked MDMA+mushrooms), I never take LSD without MDMA. As for just taking more LSD....I've taken 600 ug (two hits of orange sunshine laid with needlepoint grade LSD, the highest quality). 600 was too much. I might take 1200 someday if I want an out of body experience, but at 600 I spent part of the trip in a semi-fugue state. 300 ug is the sweet spot for me. That trip did end well though, once I came down from the fugue part! But there was a bit of time when the world was just swirling and I didn't really know who I was. 300 ug I'd compare to like 5 grams of shrooms (but with way more to it), so 600 would be like taking 10 grams. Most shrooms I ever took was eight grams....600 ug LSD was a lot stronger than that. I don't trust the purported dosages of street acid anymore, cuz I'd taken 8 hits of decent street acid before, and just 2 hits of the orange sunshine at a guaranteed dose of 600 ug was much more powerful than that experience.

Well to each their own, but I think you should go for the 1200 ug. =D I've taken enough to have an out-of-body experience.... It was pretty damn amazing. Still not at the limits of human consciousness though.... Further experimentation is required. >.>

Ok, but you were talking in your original post about getting a visionary experience - I'm suggesting you'd just get more physical side effects than psychedelic effects.

so it just makes me think that you'd probably have to dose higher on it.

I don't think a higher dose makes it that much more psychedelic tho. And I've dosed pretty high. It simply isn't that kind of drug. Taking a higher dose will just give more speedy physical effects and more nausea. Mescaline simply isn't as psychedelic as mushrooms or LSD. I'm not saying that makes it bad - it's just not the kind of thing that's going to blow your head off.

As maat said - there's no bad trip reports ever on mescaline - that's because it's so gentle you can't trip hard enough to have a bad trip.

I still just really don't think the physical effects will deter me.... Like I've mentioned before, I've taken monstrously high doses of 2C-I and it didn't bug me even slightly, and I used to use deliriants actively. I bet they feel way more shitty and dysphoric than mescaline does.

How high have you dosed? (Just out of curiosity.) Either way, I appreciate the input, but it's not going to stop me from trying.... Obviously some will find it more or less psychedelic just from person to person. As I said, I've seen a lot of variability... including people who probably dosed much less than you have and claimed that it was a powerful psychedelic. The only thing that could possibly deter me from it is trying it myself and finding that it doesn't vibe with me; there's no way to know how it will effect me until then.

As far as blowing your head off... that's not what I've been picturing it as anyway. The fact that it's unequivocally reported as gentle is one of the things I'm most excited about for it. I compared it to tryptamines like DMT in my first post because I've definitely heard peoples' accounts of mescaline having hyperspatial hallucinations, but even then it was just the hallucinations I was talking about, not the overall feel of it... even those trips people had involved incredibly easy and warm feelings to the experience.

I think mescaline is often misunderstood and mescaline-containing cacti also contain other alkaloids that turn it into a more potent psychedelic covering all bases. These latest posts mostly confirm that mescaline doesn't really seem to do a whole lot, but this does require some input of your own

This :)

Mescaline >>> much else.

I'm... confused about what you're trying to say here. Are those brackets supposed to be facing the other way?