• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Heroin/Opiate Withdrawal just f***ing SUCKS

Dude I understand the momentum thing , especially when you're functional addict . I have something important that comes up and I end up using more than I should and ruin my tapers . There were a few times I got down to .1 blk a day rather than .5-.8 and with benzos I'd get an oral presentation in front of the class and can't do that during benzo or opiate wd no way... so I take benzos ruin that taper . I can never find a full week or two to completely do nothing I have bills and school I just can't and I try to always .

The worst part is when a week or two pass and you realize if u quit that time 2 weeks before you'd be clean by now ... and when that happens 10 times in a few months period you really feel like shit ...

I need to stop finding excuses and sacrifice a week no matter the cost, it can't be as much of a cost as staying addicted

Sounds like you are self medicating as well.

If you really want to, in the end you will quit. Same goes for me, but for the meantime I'm remaining a junkie. I've got so much going my way it's ridiculous and I've been in the underworld for so long... if I stay here any longer, I'll never get out.

Do you really mean that? I think you're just tryna get along. You have mentioned many times that oxy and H are treating more then just pain and that you would be on them for the rest of your life. If you are serious, I would be willing to quit with you. We would have to be able to find a way to hold each other accountable but I'm dead serious. You do it and I'll do it.

Man I just gotta say it again this was rad of you to say. I'm just not ready, honestly I'm sorry. It was really kind of you to offer this type of mutual support. I'm not ready to give it up yet and it's scary. I have no idea how much further I can fall. Every time I try to quit it wears my body out more and more. Just the idea immediately shocked my whole body with terror, resistance, and fear. Having been in cold turkey withdrawal recently for an extended period of time, and finding it horrific. But what am I going to do, keep this up for another 50 years? Eventually I'll have to turn to the needle, and that scares me too. I don't want to be injecting myself with stuff off the street. The whole thing freaks me out but yeah like I'm just not ready to quit. I wish that I was, but I need to get my life together. There is a timer ticking and I've wasted so much time that nobody in the world will take me seriously if I take two years right now to get clean and sober. Even if it's the best thing for me, there just isn't any time. I'll be in my 30's applying for junior career positions it just won't work out for me. Fucking sucks, there is never a good time to take a month off and have your body go to shit.

I'm going to have to change my mind some day you know. It gets scary when prescription opioids are no longer enough. I'd need the highest dose ones to be satisfied... like OC 80's or dilaudid 8's. Having moved onto heroin, and now my tolerance to that is even rising. I need to find the strength to find a different answer to your offer but I also have to get my shit together and can't be sick all spring. If I get this job tomorrow I'll think about it. I think it's a great idea by the way. If you had someone accountable to, it would make bailing on your efforts that much harder right? Since you'd be letting your quitting friend down. It's actually a really good idea to stop, and you always have someone to talk to because... I mean if you're anything like me, you don't get very much accomplished in withdrawal. The first ten days are write offs for me at this point. I wish I had quit like 2 years ago but it always seems to be that way. The withdrawals weren't a tenth as bad back then, after switching to a lot of H it's just ridiculous how bad it is. Fuck. What am I going to do?

And then there is the benzo problem lurking under the surface. Like what the fuck is up with my life, how did I get here, when; why; where; my back just hurts and it leads to this? How is it even a secret? How can I be railing heroin for example on christmas morning right under my family's nose, supposedly the hardest of drugs, and nobody even has a damn clue? I don't like keeping secrets but this needs to be kept between myself, and other users.

And you know what, after this interview tomorrow, depending what happens, I am going to reconsider your offer. I am not down to cold turkey but I could taper. I tapered last year with some success (I got down from 150mgoxy + the heroin to only 30mg oxy). It was fucking hell but now it is much worse. Well, it's because I did it cold turkey last time. Never again. But I'd be down to maybe come up with a schedule so I'm keeping track of my use and maybe lower it by 5mg a day or something like that? Anyways, that's what worked for me last year until I was destroyed by PAWS symptoms which were worse than the physical withdrawal that had me sitting on a couch flopping around for 10 days (and ONE relapse with dilaudid set me back mentally to day 1 in terms of anhedonia, leaving me still feeling physically okay, which was just awful).

Anyways, I'm not saying no. If I get this job, I might start a controlled taper using heroin and oxy. Cutting out the dope first. That's what I did last year. I cut out the dope in the summer, then in the fall I dropped my dose from 150mg oxy to 60 and when I moved down to 30 that's when I lost my marbles. So, tapering is what works for me and I don't think it needs to be subs. I don't think it matters what it is so long as I have the support and I'm commiting to it (I had a wonderful girl to talk to online every day of that autumn). Having her to talk to every day helped immensely, I never would have made it without her. Having a quitting buddy is essential. I'm going to see what happens tomorrow and if I have a job in my hands I'll feel like a much more stable many. With a steady source of income, I'd be able to taper off these higher doses if I really put my mind to it. I'd do it really slow like 5mg a day or something, but I'd get there in the end. That's the only way it would ever work for me and I don't want to try subs or methadone just yet. I tapered last year with percocet and was actually really successful (cravings were never an issue) so I figured I'd taper with oxy by 5mg a day and be done in like a month... down to a reasonable level of use at least.

I'm thinking it over. Having a job would help my situation immensely and it sucks that I can't sleep tonight. I really needed a good rest but it's 2am and I'm wide awake at night tossing and turning. I think I'm just really, really nervous because this job, although just part time and nothing career related, would mean the world to me. Having a place in society, the ability to get out and make friends, network, socialize, have money for concerts, the dope or pills I'd need to taper (I will never cold turkey it... I had a lot of success tapering last year for a good few months until PAWS fucked me over as I took it too fast). But just because I screwed up royally doesn't mean I can't try again. I could keep a log of my use and very, very slowly lower my dose.

I'm going to see what happens with this job it really would completely change my life and my family and others would have a lot more respect for me. I could probably get a girlfriend over the summer and move in with her someplace and that would be cute and fun. It's really exciting but I've been having a panic attack for the past 6 hours. I didn't want to take any extra benzos but I gave in. This is important and I haven't had an interview since last year. I really need this job to happen and I'm going to work my ass off tomorrow to get it. And afterwards, I can spend some time in withdrawal since I'm going to be getting really high for the interview as that is what works best for me.

I'm not giving up. And that was just a really bold post to me. It really got me thinking. If I had a job, that's one problem solved and I could move onto the next one. We should keep in touch because I really want to quit, but I don't know if I want to. How does that even make any sense, but of course you must know what I mean. I should just man up and accept this support but I'm finding it really tough to accept. For me, it would have to be a really slow, controlled taper. Choose a starting dose and go from there at 5mg a day or so (probably like 100mg). But you could choose your way as well of course, this is just what I know works for me. The slowest taper possible really. After the interview I'm going to look at my options and get my dosing under control... until then (just tomorrow morning), I need to be high.

Last edited:
^Can another mod somehow repost my comment? Unsure how it got deleted, all I went to do was edit it and then I'm getting redirected back to the thread instead my post is gone now. Thanks

Well it's midnight here and I'm out of opiates , I did my last slam after class. It was sad disappointing didn't get me high at all no nod barely slept from 8-12 and now I'm awake waiting for wd to start .

Idk if I'd say I'm self medicating, the presentations I needed benzos at the time cause I'd be shaky and get a bad grade that I couldn't afford . In the end they are excuses regardless if medicating self or not and I'm sick of being numb , to the point where I'm almost willing to suffer lol.

And EVERYTIME you go through wd, I always said it takes a piece of your will .

The first few times you kick there's ton of motivation and it's new and you're up for the challenge , but after 4-5 times it becomes a pointless repetitive thing and it's hard to find the will at that point to suffer through something pointless :/

It does suck, but oddly enough, I've never gotten the diarrhea/vomiting side of it...even when quitting cold turkey from high doses of poppy pods or pills.

The worst withdrawal I got was bizarre and landed me in the ER. I wasn't even sure it was caused by withdrawal until the morphine shot in the ER totally reversed it, lol. It was severe, unrelenting anal pain. No other symptoms whatsoever. Just butthole pain that went on for days. The nurses were stumped as to what was causing it, and I didn't tell them I'd just quit a 200mg per day dihydrocodeine habit. I guess the pain was a result of rectal spasms + severe constipation and consumption of poppyseed bagels, which I'd been eating by the ton in the prior weeks. Fiber tends to bother my IBS and I have constipation independent of my opiate habit, so even withdrawal didn't trigger diarrhea. Didn't stop my rectum from trying I guess :O

I really feel for peeps who retch and puke during withdrawal. That must be really miserable. I have a paralyzing phobia of puking and haven't done so in over a decade, so maybe that has something to do with why it doesn't happen during withdrawal. Even stomach bugs don't make me puke (usually). But enough about that.

I've quit opiates completely for 7-8 months before, and it felt like something was missing. Don't think it was PAWS because I wasn't depressed beyond my usual clinical depression...I just didn't feel whole without my opiates. So I settled on kratom and now that's my daily thing. I highly recommend it for those who haven't had success with total sobriety.

Do you use cannabis? Only this past time did I get the diarrhea/vomiting side of it (I couldn't even make it to the washroom, sadly, and it just happened over and over and over).

I'm thinking I couldn't eat because of weed at least. I think it was a good thing based on what you mentioned above that I took a few days CT break, for the sake of my health, because I completely and totally emptied everything from my bowels (seriously, it was ridiculous what a backlog there was I don't mean to be graphic but like who has ten normal bowel movements (like, massive ones lol, sorry but literally ten in a single fucking day) and then tries to keep going with diarrhea before going out and desperately getting immodium? I really needed immodiumm but I wasn't prepared and I guess overall it was probably healthy to do that.

The dry heaving was hell as well, and new to me. It was happening for 10 minutes at a time, even when I was done puking. Relative I live with noticed because I was being so loud and felt so sorry for me and thought I was deathly ill and should go to the doctor. It just sucks when I'm trying to maintain a weight and I can't eat a single serving of oats without this happening. This is why I'd like to taper because when I tapered last year, I had none of these symptoms at all. When I tapered, I experienced a lot more RLS and muscle aches oddly. Was dabbing a lot of hash so maybe that helped some symptoms. I'll never do this again without at least hash to smoke constantly. I find the recovery is not linear at all it is non-linear and the symptoms are all over the place. You'll never know what the next day holds. It sucks.

I can't see my life without it, but I'm going to see what I can do. I had a lot of problems before I started. I can probably at least lower my tolerance, switch back to oxy only and lower my daily dose.

Why of all nights, before my interview, do I only get a 2 hour sleep? Like what the fuck I took the extra benzo and valerian and chamomile what more do I need to do. Whatever, I planned on taking meth before it anyway.

Good luck gorilla! You're young and strong. Push through baby!

Shroomy I have never tapered before, that may be the best and easiest way to do it. Takes some serious self control which is something we all need.

Good luck today and let me know how it went.

There is a tapering thread in the dark side where I posted a lot during autumn, and some others as well so that might be a good place to start. I have the self control with oxy for the most part, but I was doing it too quickly. I tapered too quickly that the post-acute symptoms were simply too much to bear. I also have a youtube recovery channel if anyone is interested. It's more withdrawal tips because I'm not actually recovering that much, but last autumn I went through acute withdrawal and recorded it for the first 10 days or so. If anyone is interested in that, just PM me. I'm starting more videos now that I'm trying to cut back. I have a lot of advice on the nutrition and supplement side of things that is more general-health based and not what you typically hear. I talk about different benzos and weed strains as well as hash. You'll also see me get a lot, lot better over time but paws eventually destroyed me. The early clean time was fucking amazing and after 10 days or so the light really starts to shine bright. At first, you'll see a pretty nasty kick - not as bad as last week but still pretty fuckin rough. And day by day I talk about the symptoms and how I'm feeling, what I'm doing about it etc. so I'd actually really recommend anyone quitting oxy to check it out (especially if you are curious about tapering, as that is what I was doing at the time).

Thank you I didn't sleep very well (like 3 hrs and I'm really anxious, it's weird) but it's in a few hours

edit.... so I'm heading over now. 120mg oxy, 30mg methamphetamine glass (orally), and 18mg bromazepam. Hoping for the best. Hope isn't the right word. There is no room for failure right now. I doubt any other candidates are fighting for their next fix.

I'm editing this again to say that I absolutely killed that interview. I'm really really really hoping right now... it would change my life. It would give me a reason to wake up in the morning. I'm hoping so fucking bad, I really tried my best. It would honestly be a huge step forward towards recovery in general from a shit life.

Last edited:
Good job shroomy. Don't go celebrating by taking more shit. You have motivated me to start trying to control my intake. I have already done less than half my normal dose today and I plan on not taking anymore. Every time I think about taking more I will consider your struggle first and force myself to wait.

That's awesome, I'm glad I can somehow try and help you. Maybe I'll start considering how many people truly want to help me before I start dosing high all the time. I'm also considering how quickly I'm going through my script, so if I hit withdrawal before midnight so be it - I'm not taking any more, especially ER. Those are valuable for when I get sick.

I'm done for the day. I got really high for that interview because I had to. I killed it, like seriously owned it, but now that it's over, so are the drugs. I'm laying in bed feeling tired and coming down. No more. I really only took that much because I feel that I killed the interview. I might be wrong, but that job would be literally 100% perfect for me right now. I had to be high for it, that's when I function at my highest level. Didn't mean the pun.

What works for me is taking it really easy and slow. Tapering very slowly and committing to it. That way, the withdrawals won't ruin your day, but you're slowly chipping away at it. You're still using, but very slowly dropping dose and post-acute symptoms are not as severe either because your body doesn't really go through shock the same way. Some people can only cold turkey it, everyone's different - but for me, if I want to quit it's all about a planned, controlled, somehow recorded and held accountable taper with no access to hard opiates (I can control percocet and the tamper proof stuff... but anything sniffable I will abuse like dilly's, H, oxycontin (well any high dose oxy really, I take those orally). And I won't celebrate at all until I hear back if I got hired or not, which will be today or tomorrow. They're checking references and interviewing others. If I don't get this job though, I plan on starting to inject my drugs as what essentially amounts to a political statement. What the fuck do ya think is gonna happen I have two god damned degrees I wish I never wasted my time getting. So this is the last straw. If I get rejected from a basic job, I'm shooting my dope in protest.

Last edited:
Hey Shroomy, I would be interested in your you tube link. I need better nutrition for sure. Thanks ! Trevor