• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants heart problems from adderall

I haven't touched amphetamines since I had a bad panic attack a few months ago and i've been to ER twice now with chest pains and they found nothing. Unfortunately i'm still convinced I have something wrong with my heart and because of this I stopped smoking, drinking and taking drugs. I had a great time with amphetamines but when you think or know your health is in jeopardy, you really have to calm the drug taking down. I haven't even been diagnosed with anything and i'm still freaking out about it, so i can't imagine what i'd be like if I definitely did have heart problems. Good luck to you and may you continue to do well.

I have been diagnosed with adhd and switched to adderall a few years ago because the dexedrine/ritalin were causing some difficulties anyways- my heart rate (resting, w/o stims of any kind for at least four-five months now) is pretty consistently at 120bpm. I'm also a smoker, so this might skew the playing field a bit... I don't blame the stimulants for my heart rate issues, predominantly because the symptoms weren't following any ridiculous stim binge or reg use they just kind of showed up and I haven't heard anything from my doctor about it since it happened. It did appear with chest pain though initially, and then the chest pain stopped after a few weeks and bam! two years later my heart rate is still 120... But anyways, I'm now a chronic pain patient and barely can function- can't say they're connected, doubt very much they are but who knows so glad to hear you're getting treatment.... I wish I could remember the name of the test, so ultimately this advice might be useless to you but your doctor should know what I'm talking about if you ask him-

It's essentially a box which you have connected to you for 24hours or I suppose the testing period could be extended depending on what your doctor says, and from what I understand it's an ekg (or if not, a similar device) only instead of only testing your heart rythym and rate for five minutes or whatever it is when you get an ekg it tests and records the data for an extended period of time (similar to the recording functions of say, a pacemaker)..

If I knew the name I'd let you know but anyways, I'd ask about getting that done if you haven't already... Like I said, I've had a heart rate of about 120-125 bpm for two years now and I JUST heard about this test at a walk in clinic, this week... So they can be, pardon my language, giant f*ck-weasels about heart problems and you really have to stay on them and complain often and to as many doctors as you have access to and will listen to get some treatment...

Squeeky wheel gets the grease and all that ridiculous junk... Just be prepared for a hell of a lot of red tape between you and the treatment you need, and even a diagnosis in many cases. Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
I don't mean to downplay the seriousness of heart pain and abusing uppers but I have some insight into this that might clear up some paranoia.

Once upon a time I was a hardcore crackhead tweaker smoking hundreds worth a day drifting from hotel to hotel and I had several episodes of what the OP had from both crack and meth. Although technically it gets listed as stage 1 heart failure it is actually a Coronary Artery Spasm (vasospasm)and it's caused mainly from the vasoconstriction effect some people suffer from on amphetamines. Although dreadfully frightening and panic-inducing, at these early stages where you are just feeling the spikes of pain, and if you are young and healthy without an underlying heart condition, it is not lethal...yet.

Vasoconstriction is the contraction of smooth muscle inside the arteries. most people don't notice it when they're on adderall, you might just feel coldness or numbness or tingling in your appendages and sometimes guys dicks wont work because of this (peripheral vasoconstriction).

From what I've found out, this does not show up in a typical EKG or stress test. You have to go through all sorts of loops to have a special test where they inject a chemical into your arteries that can test if you are susceptible to these spasms.

It's not quite as lpermanently damaging as it sounds and there is treatment to prevent it entirely. I was put on Nitroglycerin and a couple other beta blockers that made it so it didn't hurt and I could get high still. But I pushed the envelope time and time again, always consuming more and more. I had to go to the ER again. And then again. I must have looked like an idiot coming back in there.

Anyway yes it is quite painful and obvious that it is coming from the heart, and if you panic it makes it much worse, the pain can radiate out under your left arm where the main bassilary artery is, and for me, i didn't really care at the time so I kept on smoking. It felt like the left heart area was getting crushed at times, at times it was like stabbing pains on my chest that would even radiate to my back under the shoulder blade and all under my left arm and even reach to the right side sometimes. I was having these attacks daily and I kept on going.

Finally I was laying there on a bed realizing I was out of crack and probably going to have to rob a crack dealer and I was eventually going to have a real full blown heart attack and die there.

At that moment something changed in me and I decided I wanted out.

I quit everything on my own and my heart was restored to full working condition within less than a year. I was able to go about my life after that like nothing ever happened for several years. I was around 22 at the time so if you are younger you are also more resilient. Usually people that suffer from this already know they have it because, as was my case, I had these pains randomly earlier on in life like when I was a teenager even.

It's just a nuisance more than anything else. I am on Adderall now for my ADD, I take 30mg XR twice a day therapeutically and when I'm binging(currently trying to stop this) and taking usually around 200-300mg in a day I can feel that pain return here and there. It is a sign for you to stop and take a sedative, aspirin, alcohol, or whatever you need to calm the hell down and go to bed. If you don't and push it you could end up with bad spasms and serious pain and probably a panic attack to go along with it because you think you're dying. usually it's the panic that sends people to ERs, not a truly life-threatening situation.

It's common sense, if you feel this pain coming on it's because you have pushed it too far by not sleeping and eating. Or you pushed it too far by the amount you took. You will learn your limits soon enough and artery pain is just extremely painful. So stop and get some R&R and always have a benzo on hand before you go too far out with the stims or you'll end up in a panic.

True, abusing stims is terrible for your body and mind, by far the most damaging of drugs. I've seen it and lived it first hand. Still trying to correct myself.

Bottom line is if you play, be prepared to pay.

Did they do an EKG and the full battery on you? If not it'd be worth it just to give you peace of mind.

Woah man, I have never had this. Your scaring me to take my adderals tho! I think I am going to do some research.

I recently quit adderall because it was giving me health problems. The last time i did it i did too much and i was getting bad shortness of breath and left sided pain. After the last time my heart hurt bad for a couple weeks, my feet were swelling and my lungs were filling with fluid. It's gotten better than that now but i can hardly exercise. Wanted to know if anybody else has had this, it's been about a month since i've used it, i went to the emergency room a few days ago and they said they can't find any damage, but i know something is up. Anybody else had these kind of problems? Trying to find out if i'm permanently going to not be able to exercise or run or do anything really.

Yes, I have taken d-amphetamine as well and such chest pain is mostly caused by malnutrition. It is known that dexedrine lowers appetite as a side effect of normal doses but on higher doses you can barely eat anything. The way I did it was to take the medicine in my most busy days and take 1-2 days break to recover and eat well.

Remember that a drug is not magic, it wastes body resources, especially stimulants so you need input. Exercise is a bad idea while on dexedrine because it is a thermo-regulatory drug causing a raise in body temperature and combined with exercise it can trigger a dangerous fever.

Eat well my friend.

I had a whole battleship of tests and nothing presented as actual physical damage. Persisting pain means there has to be something wrong though. It wasn't until I had the special test where they injected me with the antagonizing agent that triggered the vasospasms that they found the source. It basically means I need to be careful out there and not overdo it since my threshold and susceptibility to a heart attack is lower then most people.

I have known people that could go through twice as much stims as I did and were fine. At the time I was also freshly discharged gulf war shell-shocked basket case so I was easily panicked or spooked. Wow that panic, it's worse for your ticker than the drugs.

Woah man, I have never had this. Your scaring me to take my adderals tho! I think I am going to do some research.
In my experience and knowledge you don't need to worry, especially if you are taking as prescribed and monitoring yourself. There will be no ambiguity over weather you are having heart problems or not, the pain will make it clear and obvious.

Research is always good since the doctors that prescribe it really don't know anywhere near as much as they should, nor have they ingested or experienced these substances themselves, much less abuse and dependence. And what always seems to happen is by the time I'm on a script for something and I come back to ask the doc questions I know more about it than they do because I'm hyper-focused on it daily. I always spend a day or 2 researching my prescriptions before I take them.

Yes, I have taken d-amphetamine as well and such chest pain is mostly caused by malnutrition. It is known that dexedrine lowers appetite as a side effect of normal doses but on higher doses you can barely eat anything. The way I did it was to take the medicine in my most busy days and take 1-2 days break to recover and eat well.

Remember that a drug is not magic, it wastes body resources, especially stimulants so you need input. Exercise is a bad idea while on dexedrine because it is a thermo-regulatory drug causing a raise in body temperature and combined with exercise it can trigger a dangerous fever.

Eat well my friend.

I don't know about that, I have learned to eat regularly when I'm on dexedrine and meth. Sure it might be less than 1/2 of what I eat in a regular day, its still more than the body needs. I still experience the heart pains just as much as when I would go two days without eating a single thing.

Sounds to me like your circulation is all messed up. Swelling of the feet... that sounds like a liver problem (failure?)

I would definitley not drink any alcohol or use any drugs. You should probably go and see a doctor.

I have done Adderall several times & will never touch the stuff again! When I did , it would make me jittery, my heart would beat faster & I would get extremely hungry (weird compared to other peoples experiences). My blood pressure would go up. I dont see how people can concentrate or study on this pill. I completely hate this pill!

I know it has been several years, approximately three, since the original poster last put something up on this thread but, nonetheless, I thought I would ask the OP - 'iambeejsmit' - a few questions, since they did say that they would check up on this thread 'periodically' and that they would 'love' to answer any questions..first of all, though, I did just want to compliment the OP's bravery in putting this stuff up and out there for the world to see - not to generalize, but it seems like, even on bluelight, you're prone to see a lot of people talking about the positive effects of stimulants, e.g., adderall, but not that many people, conversely, talking about the drastically negative effects which these same stimulants can pretty easily have on your body/mind if you're not careful about it.

Anyway, these are my questions for the OP -

1. What was your weight, or average weight, when you were going through this year of abusing adderall and meth?
2. You mentioned having to go to the ER several times after you decided to quit the adderall and receiving your diagnosis of stage 1 heart failure when you were at the ER - could you go into more detail about the episodes which you experienced with your heart that directly preceded you having to go to the ER?
3. I mean, it's been, I think, almost four years now since you originally started this thread - what's your life like now? And, when I ask this, I'm asking about all aspects, not to be intrusive..do you still have episodes with your heart similar to what sent you into the ER? Can you still enjoy a somewhat active love life despite the heart failure stuff? Also, what's your future look like now, a few years after getting the stage 1 heart failure diagnosis? Specifically, what do your doctors say about your future outlook and how do you feel about it? Does it still seem like you're going to have to eventually undergo a heart transplant even with completely abstaining from all drugs/alcohol/caffeine at such a young age?

That's about all I wanted to ask of the OP at the moment. Again, I applaud the OP on their bravery in airing their dirty laundry out on bluelight in the first place - personally, although I essentially do not think, or at least hope, that my previous adderall use (I've been clean of all drugs for a little more than four months now - after having come out without any health complications whatsoever on adderall a little more than a year ago, i.e., I returned to full health rather quickly and I was still able to enjoy a wide variety of healthier-than-stimulants recreational activities without any complications of any kind for a few months, I, very stupidly, did relapse on amphetamines, specifically, vyvanse, for around a month of use right before quitting drugs completely, like I said, four months ago - also, I'm 22 currently) has led to stage 1 heart failure, nonetheless, I definitely am worried over the possible health issues I might face down the road from my own previous and extremely misguided interactions with adderall, and, in posting this reply, I am simply hoping for a response from the OP about their experiences dealing with this stuff.

Yikes. Heart failure is nothing to scoff at. Not sure why OP assumes the Adderall is to blame though? I'm sure the meth, MDMA, cocaine and other drugs played an equal role (along with an underlying predisposition to heart failure).

Coke is actually more cardiotoxic than amphetamine, but the dose makes the poison. Hope to hear some updates periodically. This is scary stuff.

I realize that this is an old thread that has been recently revived, but I felt I should chime in with my thoughts since I work as a paramedic for a busy metropolitan fire dept, and i have quite a bit of experience with various cardiac issues and their signs and symptoms. My first impression was the OP was exhibiting peripheral and pulmonary edema secondary to a probable MI. The heart attack weakened his heart to a point where it was unable to contract forcefully enough to circulate blood through his body, resulting in his swelled feet and and congested lungs. This is normally something I see in the very old and sick, and my suspicions were confirmed by his later post when he revealed his diagnosis of heart failure.

It's almost certain that his prolonged stimulant abuse is the cause, although he may have had a pre-existing condition which would have made him more susceptible. I'm also curious as to how he has been getting along these days...

Hey everyone, I'm just posting on here again since I was the one who 'revived' this thread just because of my own interest in the subject. I guess I just wanted to say that while it is very unlikely that my short stints of abusing stimulants have led to a case of heart failure similar to the original poster's - there were about 8-10 instances, an instance comprising a 24 hour span, of me doing 100-200 mg dosages of Adderall spread throughout 8 months, which only amounts to about a twelfth, or somewhere in there, of the amount of abuse the Original Poster did with Adderall, and just with Adderall at that - nonetheless, yeah, the effects which stimulants can have on your heart, or just on how you perceive the workings of your heart function, are certainly scary. For me, I can definitely relate to some of the earlier posters on here about how just the frightened perception that there might be something messed up with your heart after doing more stimulants than you should have is enough to make you get off all drugs. I mean, personally, I was really just a pothead, a severe pothead at that, and basically I did Adderall off and on in a recreational manner without any major problems until the second half of my going too far with Adderall - this only amounted to about 3 of those 8-10 times I mentioned earlier. This second set of times I weighed in at 215 lbs, mostly muscle but some water-weight too, and, basically, also, during this time, I had stopped working out, to deal with exam stuff, for the first time in four years. While I have been able to work out again, and build back about half the muscle I lost already, nonetheless, yeah, I got scared off doing amphetamines, and drugs in general as well, after that last run-in while not working out. I also saw an earlier post about how you can keep a healthy ticker with doing this stuff if you keep a dutiful workout regimen - I'm not going to answer totally to that, I think that's going way beyond any kind of knowledge I can hold claim to, but, still, I will say that the only time I thought I had problems from doing Adderall, which was in singularly spaced out abusive amounts, don't get me wrong, I know, it was when I wasn't working out at all, which was also quite unusual for me personally - I would never taken a break if it wasn't for being inundated with collegiate work at the time. Since getting back into the gym two months ago, and after having dealt with my last Adderall experience five months ago, right before Xmas, I've been completely fine - now I'm just pissed off about how if I could take back just a couple of days of messing around with stimulants again, after a six month break from my first time abusing it for a few days, I could easily at least still be smoking with a clean conscience now - now, however, I just feel guilty about it (smoking) so I'm staying clean for peace of mind if not peace of physicality as well, I suppose it's a relatively small price to pay so whatever, although I'm able to go about my day to day normally I certainly do miss that herbal state of mind, which I only felt pressured to supplement with stimulants due to taking college work I didn't have much interest in. Then again, neither life, in a holistic sense, nor society interests me much either - pretty stale stuff, in my opinion - but that's obviously beside the point to this conversation.

Anyway, I know that I'm just talking around myself and adding on to my personal story so far here, as the reviving poster, but, also, I did want to say that, yeah, from what I've read up on on both Erowid and here on Bluelight, for the original poster to have gotten to the state of stage 1 heart failure, although I certainly wouldn't rule out the possibility that one could get heart failure or disease, or just heart problems in general, from abusing the amounts of Adderall he did over the course of a year - which seemed to amount to doing 1200 mg (60 times 20 IR pills a months) in the periods of a week to two weeks, averaging at 100-200 mg a day, for a total of around at least 70-80 days collectively - and, really, I wouldn't rule that possibility out at all, especially dependent on weight and various other factors which I can't begin to enumerate here in my amateur analysis, it does seem like the MDMA, cocaine, and meth would have each played large contributing factors as far as stimulant intake is concerned. I'm saying this especially concerning the original poster's age, which seemed to be 23 during his year of stimulant abuse, which is relatively young. I have definitely read of users of Adderall/speed getting major heart problems - heart attacks and full on heart failure - within the short duration of just a year or so of heavy use but these users have tended to be relatively older, usually in their early 30's, i.e., a full decade older than the OP. I have read several cases of young people, say, from 20-24ish, undergoing similar heart problems, e.g., becoming hospitalized due to having mild heart attacks or undergoing severe cases of anxiety, etc., due to Adderall use, but, usually, it comes after at least 2-3 years of dealing with speed or related substances (usually in noticeably abusive quantities, and for extended periods of time) - for example, the most similar case to the original poster's that I found online was of a boy who extensively had used MDMA for several years as a late teen, taking around a total of at least 500-600 X pills, before embarking on a year or so of using/abusing speed of some kind or other (Adderall or methamphetamine) before undergoing cardiac arrest and hospitalization at the age of 22. I did notice the OP stated that they had a love affair with MDMA - this seems to imply relatively heavy use of that substance? Clearly, this is just conjecture on my part, though. What I'm trying to get at, ultimately, is that I wanted to go ahead and amend my questions for the OP when they see my revitalization of this oldish thread:

1) Did you really just use all these speedy substances, MDMA, coke, meth, and Adderall, within the period of a year, or did you abuse Adderall on top of having already dealt with these other drugs beforehand, and for how long?

2) Also, along similar lines, and more to the point, I mean, you talked about the relatively exact amounts of Adderall that you used/abused..what about meth, coke, and MDMA? Especially the meth and the MDMA seem to be pertinent as you noted that you only did 'light' use of cocaine, but any insight would prove helpful.

Also, I wanted to go ahead and say that the reason that I saw this thread in the first place was that, after the last time I did more Adderall than I ever needed to, I didn't really have chest pains, but I just felt like a failure at life, mainly because I wasn't smoking pot, I wasn't working out for the first time in seemingly forever, and because I never needed to even use Adderall in the first place, let alone abuse it, and, further, I was just scared out of my mind over thinking about the rest of my life and everything tied together with that. From what I've read up on in the last few months, although I got deeper into amphetamine usage certainly more than I ever meant to, there sure are a lot of people who have got it way worse than me, especially considering that I'm fine now, just living my life sober like I was before I smoked pot and working out, getting back my muscle. So yeah, I thought this was an important post to revive in a communal sense because of how the OP is dealing with VERY real life consequences related to stimulant use/abuse, and this clearly shows that the youngish, at 18-24 or so, are certainly not invincible, in fact, we can be even more vulnerable to the effects of drugs or diseases if only because we are often too carefree or ignorant of what could happen to our bodies/minds long-term. Also, it helps debunk the myth that it has to take years upon years of doing particularly destructive substances (note that amphetamines, meth and coke are all some of the worst things for your body to intake) before you incur substantial bodily damage - this is clearly a falsehood, and any such notion should be dispelled in the media - of course, society/culture tends to gloss over such matters. I won't be surprised if my generation dies off faster than any previous in America if only because we have all the resources to binge majorly on destructive substances, such as stimulants (and ESPECIALLY with Adderall, considering that it's prescribed and everything - I mean, the OP had a prescription at the start of this!), but we're still perfectly inundated with this sense of being able to avoid the inevitable, which, obviously, is a falsehood. Ain't trying to be preachy, just saying. Hope the OP responds sometime. I'd definitely like to know/hear about where they are at in there life and, as well, receive a little more elucidation on how they got to where to they got, exactly. Not trying to pry, just trying to find out for anyone else out there reading on.

Last edited:
it's been 4 years since this post, but what were your symptoms and how are you feeling now? i od'd on add and i have all sorts of wacky symptoms 8 months after the od.

not to trivialize your situation but anxiety can play a major role in chest pain/shortness of breath .

Hey OP, it feels better to see someone who has experienced the symptoms that I'm having. Having read through your posts I saw my situation mirroring yours in dosage per week and the symptoms that followed. The most that I m curious about is how well you are doing these days. I would then wonder what could be done if I'm in a stage 1 heart failure as well. Im a senior student in college and its a serious dilemma here to decide upon sacrificing my health or my school performance.

shit man, so sorry to hear.
i walked away from taking mephedrone daily (aside from two day crashes) for two years with nothing but a little psychosis.
uppers are the worstttt