• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants heart problems from adderall

iambeejsmit

Greenlighter
I recently quit adderall because it was giving me health problems. The last time i did it i did too much and i was getting bad shortness of breath and left sided pain. After the last time my heart hurt bad for a couple weeks, my feet were swelling and my lungs were filling with fluid. It's gotten better than that now but i can hardly exercise. Wanted to know if anybody else has had this, it's been about a month since i've used it, i went to the emergency room a few days ago and they said they can't find any damage, but i know something is up. Anybody else had these kind of problems? Trying to find out if i'm permanently going to not be able to exercise or run or do anything really.

You're probably just experiencing the negative PNS side effects of acute d,l-amp withdrawal.

If the ER didn't find anything wrong with your heart, I think you're fine.

I had a close friend who ended up doing 90mg XR a day and she complains of heart pain now too, her doctor put her on a high dose of NSAIDs and it helps.

Your complaint of not being able to exercise or run or do anything really sounds like you're still in withdrawal.

How much were you doing, how often, was it Adderall IR or XR?

i thought amphetamine withdrawal and lack of doing anything is from the no motivation and lack of energy aspect of the withdrawal. i wouldn't suspect your heart to hurt from a withdrawal, it would seem like it would feel better finally having a break. however, maybe it's used to the increased heart rate and any thing other than that is uncomfortable.

edit:
maybe it's PAWS?

yeah nsaids help with the pain but when i say i can't run i mean i'll break out into a bad sweat almost instantly and not be able to breath with my chest caving in. Um it was in june the last time i used it. I know the withdrawal well and it's not that i'm too tired to do anything cause i'm fine now in that sense, it's that i can't, if i drink a soda my chest will be hurting shortly after. sometimes my foot swells up at night. I dunno, it's scary, just want it to go away.

I didn't do it every single day cause i got 60 ir 20 mg a month, i'd go through them myself in a month. sometimes in a week, sometimes i'd take 10 or more in a day, i'm not proud of it it was obviously pretty stupid.

Get some CO Q10 'vitamin q' it oxygenates the heart & is good for energy.

I've had MDA, MDMA related circulatory issues & this + magnesium helped.

The anxiety from the comedown can make things seem worse as well . Makes it easy to find things wrong with you...

I got diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse just recently, and I had an EKG about 6 months ago. Was after a few heavy years of stim abuse...

So I dunno. I could have had it all along and it didn't get noticed though...

-lenses

The anxiety from the comedown can make things seem worse as well . Makes it easy to find things wrong with you...

I got diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse just recently, and I had an EKG about 6 months ago. Was after a few heavy years of stim abuse...

So I dunno. I could have had it all along and it didn't get noticed though...

-lenses

I am sorry to hear that.

What's the prognosis?

I fully agree with you eagleman, abusing uppers definitely is bad for your heart. i was just trying to see if anybody else has had similar symptoms. Since i started this thread i've gone to the cardiologist and had an ekg and set up an appointment for a stress echo test (where i'll exercise on the treadmill and then they will do an echocardiogram of my heart). My symptoms have gotten somewhat better since i last posted. My feet don't really swell anymore, and i can do more mild exercise, ie i can walk long distances, but if i try to run i'll get short of breath very quickly and have chest pain. It's september now and i've been having these problems since june. As for the prognosis, i don't really know, i'd like to make a full recovery but i'm not sure if that will happen. Pretty sure i'm not going to die or anything though, or it probably would be getting worse and not better. Again any info from anybody who has had problems would be greatly appreciated, even if you know someone close who has. i'm greatful for the improvement in my symptoms, and i'm permanently done with stimulants, and unfortunately i can't smoke weed either, it elevates your heart apparently because i get very short of breath and my chest hurts alot and it's just no fun at all to be high while your having a health issue. I'm bummed about not being able to smoke but i have to accept these consequences, i'm the one who did the dope so i've gotta deal. Sucks though

I am sorry to hear that.

What's the prognosis?

I guess it's a fairly benign condition, but can cause anxiety problems when your heart rate is increased. I'm pretty sure it's a congental birth defect , but AMP probally doesn't help ...

-lenses

Update, ER visit yesterday left me with a diagnosis with stage 1 heart failure. If i stay away from anything that aggravates it i can keep the disease from progressing since it is so early. Anyways, that's the deal, that's what was going on with me. Be careful with amphetamines, i wish i would've been.

Update, ER visit yesterday left me with a diagnosis with stage 1 heart failure. If i stay away from anything that aggravates it i can keep the disease from progressing since it is so early. Anyways, that's the deal, that's what was going on with me. Be careful with amphetamines, i wish i would've been.

Well how much were you using/abusing a day of Adderal?

Where there any street amphetamine sources?

Did you have prior or con-current hypertension?

How long where you on Adderal?

Did you try other stimulants like Dexedrine which has a much lighter PNS load (I take 60mg/day and just check BP T+2h and its at 112/67) or Focalin?

How old are you?

All of these have a bearing on your heart condition; and I doubt it was soley Adderal use/abuse that has caused it, though if you do use in stupid-high doses, yeah, its not gonna make you a healthy individual after a while...

^^

doesn't look like the OP is going to be posting back anytime soon, although i wish him or her would come back and answer your questions, as those are some important questions

^^

doesn't look like the OP is going to be posting back anytime soon, although i wish him or her would come back and answer your questions, as those are some important questions

I noticed he never followed up, but good information to have, and if a new user looks at this and decides to make a thread about something at least they have an idea of the type of base information we need to even guess at what is going wrong.

I was just feeling a little combative I guess because I had just gotten back from my last BP clinic check-up and weighed in at a fantastically low 121/61 with HR at 73 less than 2h after taking 60mg of d-amphetamine plugged (forgot and dosed before remembering), which is not a low dose by anyone's dosing profile but mine....*sigh*. I thought it would be through the roof, but as the nurse assistant said I am on my way to a healthier heart rhythm every day I keep taking my calcium channel blockers.

I just thought I would throw it back in the air to show that even years of amphetamine "abuse" can still leave you with a healthy ticker if you mitigate the problems with exercise (without amps) and make sure to try to switch over to the dextro-isomer (Dexedrine vs. Adderal or Focalin vs. Ritalin) as that fucking worthless levo-isomer only induces extreme PNS stimulation, depression, and moodiness as per wikipedia; who knows what other bullshit it could mess up in you. :\

Damn man thats messed up stage 1 heart failure, i am real sorry to hear that, will maybe make others think twice about abusing uppers... I know that i used to do ritalin, not even all that much, and was ok for awhile... but then every time after i would do it, i would get tightness in my chest for 2 weeks afterwards that would scare the hell outta me, the ER said i was fine after an EKG, but who knows, been 4 years since i did any kind of uppers at all, although last year i was feeling my heart skip beats n stuff after taking methadone every other day, i still take the methadone just as often but feel fine now.

Ive had similar problems with stims fucking up my breathing and heart. When i was in High School i played soccer for their team for four years and was able to run miles every day with no problem. After i graduated(three years ago) i developed a coke/mdma problem that started to slightly affect me with my workouts, then about 2 years ago was prescribed concerta 36mg to 54mg. I havent really worked out much since. I quit my concerta about 1 month ago and i can't run 20 yards without gasping for air. Im not overweight(5'10" 145lbs), i eat rather healthy, ive beening running for 18 years of my life and in the last 2 years i feel like im gunna collapse with chest pain from running 50 yards.

Well how much were you using/abusing a day of Adderal?

Where there any street amphetamine sources?

Did you have prior or con-current hypertension?

How long where you on Adderal?

Did you try other stimulants like Dexedrine which has a much lighter PNS load (I take 60mg/day and just check BP T+2h and its at 112/67) or Focalin?

How old are you?

All of these have a bearing on your heart condition; and I doubt it was soley Adderal use/abuse that has caused it, though if you do use in stupid-high doses, yeah, its not gonna make you a healthy individual after a while...

it varied, and this was over the course of a year, keep in mind there was some light cocaine use, "probably not too much of a contributor" but also alot ecstasy use and meth use on top of 60 20mg adderall a month, which i tended to take within a week or two. No i never had any kind of heart condition, no hypertension, and i don't have it now. I am currently 24, but i think i was 23 when i originally wrote this post. I didn't take other kinds of amphetamines, just adderall and meth. The problem was the continuous use without breaks, and often i took stupid high doses, the most i took at once was 5. Dumb. Well it caught up with me, i'm going to have heart disease when i'm older, I can't smoke weed because for some reason it aggravates it, i can't drink, and i can't do ecstasy, (which i'm really bummed about along with the weed). Some days i'm ok, and i can run just like normal, no effect. Sometimes if i get sick and have been doing too much opiates and my immune system is down my heart will start to enflame and it causes discomfort/mild pain, and i can't run for shit without running out of breath. There's been a few occasions where for no apparent reason my chest got tighter and tighter and i wasn't able to catch my breath worse and worse. Aspirin helps and in fact can end an episode, along with advil. But twice it didn't and i had to go to the ER. This last ER trip i recieved this diagnosis. If you have any more questions I will be checking this post periodically and i'd love to answer them. I really want to make sure nobody else makes such foolish mistakes as i did. There's no need for this to happen to anybody. I'm ok, I can live a normal life, but i have to avoid all those things "of course amphetamines as well" and even caffeine as it causes discomfort. I will say this. I miss mdma, i always will. I had a love affair with it, and it's ex'ed out of my life for good. Unless I suppose if i get a transplant but if that happens I think it would be fairly stupid to just start doing drugs again because i'm lucky enough to have gotten some unfortunate souls heart. It is possible and indeed probably i will need a transplant at some point, but it may not be for many many years. Ok any questions, just ask, i'll check from time to time.

Update

It's been a bit over a year since my problems started, and i'm happy to say that i'm doing much better. I still have the heart condition but with exercise, and abstaining from most drugs, it isn't usually noticeable. I still regret some of the stupid choices i made but I also am aware that it could be much worse. Definitely keep your wits about you if your gonna mess around with uppers.

this is scary,
all your symptoms I have experienced ( heart pain, tight chest, trouble breathing) during and after amphetamine use. With me the effects usually go away after 3 days of not using usually. I keep my use to about 2 times a month. Those side effects usually concern me enough to hold back from using again for 2 weeks. At which point I feel fine I do more. Pathetic pattern, really. Oddly enough I find dexedrine bothers my heart a lot more than meth does. The thing is I can usually get dexedrine for free, meth costs money.

Is it likely that bi-monthly amphetamine use would cause heart problems?

It would be very hard to believe that using amphetamines twice a month is causing you to have heart problems unless you already had a pre-existing heart condition. May i ask how much Dexedrine you tend to dose with?