• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Hearing Voices While High

I agree psychosis is not very uncommon, but it is a real sign you might wanna take stock. Ignoring this means you may increase issues.

I have had a reasonably strong instance of psychosis and have been very careful since. It is not a nice place to be where you feel no control.

Thats why i say now is time to review to prevent worse

Anytime you can't stop hearing or seeing shit thats really not there, you got something really wrong. They put people like that in rubber rooms and give them a labotomy, and shock treatments...

er, no they don't

they may well look towards a chemical lobotomy though (anti-psychotics)

The only time i can remember hallucinating clear-as-day voices was...never, thankfully.

I did have a couple psychotic episodes years ago from staying awake for a week +, but the only hallucinations were the typical shadow stuff in low to no light and thinking my friend's conversations were plots against me. But thats just paranoia.
Some of the things i read on here from other users sound downright scary.
OP, i would go see a psychiatrist if you have the means.
If you're a pot smoker, try abstaining until you get a better idea of whats going on.

Last edited:
I once heard a marching band going past my ex's house, I was laying in bed trying to sleep after taking drugs, GHB or raving drugs I think it must have been an upper as I couldn't sleep for shit

The marching band got louder and louder until it went past the window, then quieter as it walked away, smashing the cymbals together and banging the fucking drums and shit, a proper percussion band it done my head in

I was certain it was a real band, till I thought why would a band be going past early in the morning in a random back street no where near a town lol

Ears, brain and drugs are a strange thing, that's the only time I've had shit like that happen and I wasn't even on meth

Part of me still thinks it really was a band lol

I once heard a marching band going past my ex's house, I was laying in bed trying to sleep after taking drugs, GHB or raving drugs I think it must have been an upper as I couldn't sleep for shit

The marching band got louder and louder until it went past the window, then quieter as it walked away, smashing the cymbals together and banging the fucking drums and shit, a proper percussion band it done my head in

I was certain it was a real band, till I thought why would a band be going past early in the morning in a random back street no where near a town lol

Ears, brain and drugs are a strange thing, that's the only time I've had shit like that happen and I wasn't even on meth

Part of me still thinks it really was a band lol
It is parade season.

A street parade with a marching band lol
You guys don't have anything similar there like with bagpipes or flutes?

Agreed, this is a possibilty.

But strong stims, which meth happens to be, can indeed trigger psychosis in some and hearing voices is a heavy warning sign. That said, I have experienced them and they were an isolated phenomenon, just scary and annoying but did not develop full on psychosis. My origin was morphine, strange enough but be aware, your brain 'learns' these functions and it's next to impossible to un-learn something. Means that even if you find the cause and eliminate it, you will continue to be more sensible to this kind of halluctination, which I guess nobody really wants..

So according to my psychiatrist I have paranoid personality disorder. The meth was just REALLLLLLLLLY exacerbating that.

We discussed at length some childhood trauma along with my history struggling with other things related to social interactions,, blah blah blah. Anyway, that what he believes it is, also right around the age it generally develops

Umm, let me tell you that I have some doubts about this diagnosis. How experienced are you with drugs, did it ever happen on another substance?

They labelled me a paranoid schizophrenic just cause I had acoustic hallucinations at some point of heavy drug use (and wanted something that would stop them if it should happen again - just to find out that antipsychotics are utterly useless for me, and it is a phenomenon specific to opioids. So much about psychosis.)

Umm, let me tell you that I have some doubt in this diagnosis. How experienced are you with drugs, did it ever happen on another substance?

Very experienced, not much i haven't done extensively. Haven't used since posting this thread, and its still happening

But only with meth, and always the same batch/dealer? How much are you using (estimatedly), and do you sleep every night or how often how many nights are you up?

Well having the voices in sober periods is a real sign of something but it could even be malnourishment or whatever, doesn't need to be psychosis or something paranoid (oh how I like that term).

But only with meth, and always the same batch/dealer? How much are you using (estimatedly), and do you sleep every night or how often how many nights are you up?

I dont use the same dealer consistently. Maybe .5 gram over a 2 or 3 day period. I sleep every night. And I dont use everyday, just a few times a month

Ok, that's not too much.. strange. Do the voices correlate with drug metabolism or do they happen some time longer when you are sober? (To my experience, sleep will shut them off but might be different.)

Have you ever tried an antipsychotic, especially olanzapine (the only one which works for me, it knocks me right out though)? Aripiprazole doesn't do that but it even potentiated the voices for me - but it's not dangerous to try it. I like aripiprazole because it's not a full antagonist at dopamine d2 and in the states exist yet another one which is even 10% more potent as a partial agonist, forgot the name though.

That said, I don't buy the dopamine hypothesis because memantine, a decent dopamine agonist, even in overdose doesn't trigger any voices in me.