• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Has Anyone Been Able To Enjoy Weed After Marijuana Hell?

use to smoke weed often,
quit for many years because racing heart/anxiety/paranoia/hypochondria/panic attack

recently started again and loving it to death,
so yes it's possible to come back to the weed after a long time and enjoyit again

helps me stay off the benzos and opiates that are crazy addictive,
helps me sleep,
makes me happy,
makes me wanna do things...

I feel tolerance has a lot to do with possible paranoia.

I too had horrible anxiety from years of smoking heavily when I was severely depressed with gad and sad anxiety stemming from it. You can already guess at how much negative shit I was thinking in my own head.

I was also trying to hide my stash and smoking part from others in the house 24/7.

After a very long break I would smoke and be full of anxiety and paranoia. Honestly the things that helped were to constantly remind your self that you are ok and whatever crazy thing you're thinking about is ridiculous garbage your brain is creating. Slow deep breathing. Anything to calm you down that works for you.

the most important thing is tolerance though. The higher the tolerance the more you can enjoy the stone.

I disagree, I think the less of a tolerance the more pleasurable the high will be.

And I'm right there with you Bluesun, been smoking heavy for a little over four years now and it's staring to become a more negative aspect of my day, every day. After my morning bowl is finished I'm going to give my best attempt at a month long tolerance break..

Wish me luck.

I had a similar experience to the original poster but after doing some research (i live in the triangle) i found that indica's because of higher CBD levels cause less anxiety. I now smoke almost exclusively CBD heavy and THC light strains. ( blue dream mixed with OG, etc.) to help with my anxiety problems.

I think that's true, however I believe it's important to know which strain's are best for you so that you get the right mix of cannabinoids for your unique brain chemestry. For me I like Indica heavy hybrids in the morning and sativa heavy strains when I'm going out for the night.

I had an experience similar to the OP's after 5 yrs or so of smoking an ounce a week. Where reefer was once enjoyable and my reason for being, it turned on me and began to leave me anxious and paranoid whenever I smoked. So I took a 6 month break but still wanted to get baked. So I bought a quarter and instead of solo smoking a 'gorilla finger' straight to my head (which is how I thought everybody was supposed to smoke) I just packed a bowl and took two or three pulls. If that didn't do it, maybe one or two more. And that is how this toker at least, was able to enjoy God's Green Goodness again. By not trying to be Cheech or Chong. Good Luck.

EDIT: Reread OP and saw that even one toke is doing this to you. In that case maybe get checked out by a doc. You may have to cut out the cheeba.

Last edited:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who's experience this. I strictly smoke indicas. Is nearly impossible to find a true indica most are some sort of hybrid despite what they tell you. But you can find close to an 70/30 indica. High in cbd. Works for me. Also, I never get crazy ripped like I used to as a kid. None of this, let's smoke this 1/8th in one sitting by myself type of thing. It's, one Lil snapper and then chill. Then one more.

I have never experienced anxiety using cannabis, it is my fave drug and constant companion, so I may have a bias here. But a lot of times it has to do with finding the right ROA. Edibles, smoking, and vaping are all very different highs; the first time I ate weed I was scared I threw the shroom bag in with it too! But it was just completely different. You may want to try eating it in edibles, but start VERY low if you do, once you eat weed you'll be high for hours. It is NOT like smoking whatsoever IMO.

Eating weed also produces a different high. More body as opposed to mind. And like Soliele says, it lasts a LONG time (Ive had edible stoneys that have lasted ten or so hours, albeit with a large amount eaten.)

If you do try edibles start very slow with very small amounts. That train ride is long compared to smoking. Most of the time when I eat it's a good 8 to 10 hrs of high time.

this is my advice to people who wanna smoke weed without the anxiety or paranoia..

you can always smoke more but you can't smoke less!!! go small.

also phenibut with weed is awesome. takes away all negative feelings.

I would use/abuse amphetamines and then when I was coming down to ease it a bit I would smoke pretty large amounts of pot say a quarter in a matter of hours. After doing this for 4 months or so on and off my brain kinda rewired IMO, it felt like I was using speed (paranoia, twitchiness, general brain fog like I had been up for days) after I would smoke marijuana even just one toke of it. I got clean and sober for over 7 months before feeling confident enough to try a toke. I smoked a bowl and it worked correctly for me again, just had to quit due to a new job that UA's their newly hired employees :(

After dealing with drugs that can actually KILL YOU at close range to the recreational dose..
I might have had some social anxiety from too much pot, but on the side of totally freaking out?
Never.

Its the safest way to get high.
Get too high? It will wear off and you'll be right as rain. (maybe a bit groggy)
But my point is, you will wake up the next morning.
Its almost like getting on a roller coaster for some people, you can kick, scream and piss yourself, but you'll be just fine when the ride ends.

On second thought, people die every year on those things..
Pot is safer..

With that always in the back of my head, it never seems to get to me. Even when i get "HOLY FUCK" high.
and yes.. ive been there, for 6 hours before passing out for almost 24 hours.. Ate two pre-maturely harvested plants...
After dried and boiled down/filtered into butter, added to mashed potatoes and hastily crammed down my gullet..
Assumed they wouldn't be potent.. was wrong.. got really fucking high.. passed out.. woke up.. still here..

Yes, I greatly enjoy marijuana once again, after not liking enjoying it for a few years (and I had previously loved the stuff). A few reasons: I have some selection of strains, can pick flowers that I know are at least indica dom (example: I have LA Confidential and Platinum OG on hand right now). I also have access to okay wax and I respond better to hash.

I stopped messing with other substances with any regularity (still drink a bit) and am in a better position life wise. I need to take a good break again though. Nothing better then taking a month or two off and then taking a hit or two.

this is my advice to people who wanna smoke weed without the anxiety or paranoia..

you can always smoke more but you can't smoke less!!! go small.

also phenibut with weed is awesome. takes away all negative feelings.

Phenibut can also be pretty damn addicting and is really easy to become dependent on. Tread carefully. You will not be enjoying marijuana if you are in Phenibut withdrawal all the time. I have read about plenty of people getting caught off guard by Phenibut like I was, and I was pretty "knowledgable" and "experienced" with substances when I started on the stuff.

Tolerance is the worst
Why would you want to get LESS high for your money?
I wanna get baked

Well, seeing as the last time I smoked, I posted in this thread which was about a year ago, here I am again. Had a couple of drinks, decided to smoke, the drink surely put a damper of potential anxiety. Took a hit the next day as well, didn't flip. With that being said, I can sense the old issues lurking in the midst. Didn't find myself submerged in them, but that is how it is for weed, I'll dabble, keep my cool, then the next day, take a hit, lose my mind. It isn't like a progressive climb to perfection, but, a teeter totter of sanity.

Whenever I feel like I am having an anxiety attack from smoking to much bud, I always smoke more and it always helps with it. Weed calms me down and if you are going through "marijuana hell", then smoke more and it'll help you just chill. Another thing is that you always need to remember, you cannot die from marijuana. you will be okay.

I've been there.

Sometimes when I smoke it only gives me a fast heart beat, anxiety and I start having paranoid thought loops that make me think I have some kind of hidden illness or that i'm about to die, especially if i'm high on another drug too.
It's kind of funny because it may give me anxiety one day and then have the opposite effect the next day (anxiolysis, euphoria,ect...)

It's just something i can't really control and I have a good amount of knowledge about pot and medicine (did 1 year of med school) so I know pot hasn't kill anyone and all that. Staying active and having a positive mindset does help though, I also enjoy indicas much more than sativas.

I also don't enjoy pot as much without having a bit of tolerance, my tolerance grows very slowly too, i've been smoking everyday for at least 3 years (with a few breaks) and still feel a tiny hit. That doesn't mean i don't enjoy smoking a fat joint most of the time, you just have to find a balance and have some peace of mind

Last edited:
Early cannabis use (before 18 ) increases the risk of developing psychosis according to some studies. As you started toking daily at 15, it makes sense that you are concerned. After reading your post though, you seem fully with it and the fact that you think your going insane proves that you're not :)

If you're going to smoke, I really recommend getting some CBD (cannabidiol) products (oil, vaporizer, mouth spray- whatever you prefer) and use that before smoking. CBD prevents the psychotomimetic (psychosis inducing) effects of cannabis while retaining and even enhancing the medical benefits.