• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Has Anyone Been Able To Enjoy Weed After Marijuana Hell?

yteek

Bluelighter
Alright, well to get to the point, I was one of those who smoked for years daily.Started when I was like 15, then quit about 20, 23 now, but I was as heavy into it as I could possibly be as my life revolved around it.

It was definitely more abuse then responsible use, since deteriorating mental health on the behalf the anxiety and paranoia I got from weed, some would say it was basically psychotic.

It was a doubled edged sword, despite the fun and positives of use, it was overshadowed by overwhelming negative presence.

Yet, I continued....

Well after a couple years, I decided to dabble, had a few alright tokes, but then they were over shadowed by the typical anxiety ridden hell, with obsessive and intrusive thoughts coexisting with paranoia and racing heart.

Part of me wants to give yet another try, maybe I'm just fucking crazy.

With all the medical craze and marijuana being a god's gift to earth, I just want some relief of my own.

I was thinking about vaping, but even since highschool until 20s its been a lot of marijuana related issues and I'm not really in the position to risk my mental health,trying to maintain the last bit sanity I have(slight exaggeration, not a complete nut job folks).

Thoughts on this? Yay or nay? Part of me says it isn't worth it. But I was thinking of super micro dosing, but even one toke of a joint had me fucking miserable, so I don't know.

I feel tolerance has a lot to do with possible paranoia.

I too had horrible anxiety from years of smoking heavily when I was severely depressed with gad and sad anxiety stemming from it. You can already guess at how much negative shit I was thinking in my own head.

I was also trying to hide my stash and smoking part from others in the house 24/7.

After a very long break I would smoke and be full of anxiety and paranoia. Honestly the things that helped were to constantly remind your self that you are ok and whatever crazy thing you're thinking about is ridiculous garbage your brain is creating. Slow deep breathing. Anything to calm you down that works for you.

the most important thing is tolerance though. The higher the tolerance the more you can enjoy the stone.

I had tolerance though, hints the smoking daily thing for years.

LOL @ smoking in the house, my dad hates weed and living in my parent house spawned a lot of drama, but I was just smoking fat ass blunts like a boss in my room.

I miss the good times.

I remember being all high and paranoid about my dad coming home to my room full of blunt smoke and junk and just cleaned the fuck out of my room so at least he'd think well at least his room is clean.

But then the bad times, just make me sick thinking of them.

I feel most people who get bad anxiety/paranoia from weed can relate in a lot of ways.

During my most consistent and heavy smoking I was in my parents house. And just like your self I would get caught smoking along with my stash so damn frequently. Being a very depressed teen I just kept on smoking. A vicious cycle of constant fighting and arguments.

It hurt my relationship with the family for a while. I really believe this is one of the reasons why I bug out way more now because of all those years of bad experiences that have to do with pot. Still it's been getting better...way better. I believe my depression is much relieved and my life is near "normal"...whatever that is lol .

but at the same time I still fucking love bud. I think without bud during my depression I would've been using other drugs or even killed my self.

It's still the only substance I can use and not feel guilty knowing im fucking up my nose or really effecting my brain. Also don't feel like shit the next day nor do I have bad withdrawals from it. Shit it helps withdrawals from other drugs haha.

you can eat it, smoke, vape, make hash/oil, every plant is different. I love it.

Yes it is. At least for me. I just wrote about this. Has a horrible experience in college at 19. Quit for 10 years. Love smoking now, it's been about 9 months. I don't want to jinx myself but I think it's bc I take klonopin now. Not that I'm telling you to get hooked on benzos but if u want to try again & ur really scared the 1st time take a Benzo. It'll work.

^^ of course benzos will allow you to have a much more smooth high. That's a given...as it is an anti-anxiety medication....

I think you will be able to enjoy weed again someday. Cannabis used to always send me into a terrible mind state (even psychosis), but not so much these days.

As people have said, tolerance is a major factor. There may be two or more types of tolerance: 1) physical tolerance; 2) mental/emotional tolerance. Achieving the latter probably requires forming new associations with getting high. That is, if you get stoned and have a good time on enough occasions, then your high will be more pleasant. My physical tolerance is still really low (one full hit and I'm blazed), yet I can still have a good time.

Try taking smaller hits. Toke a tiny hit every 10-20 minutes until you reach the place you want to be at.

The type of weed is important. Indicas are less anxiogenic than Sativas. I have two kinds of weed currently: one is Purple Kandy Kush (an Indica); the other is bud trimmings, mostly leaf shake (probably Sativa). The Kush, I've found, gives a much more mellow stone than the leaf shake, even though it should be more potent, being almost nothing but bud.

Set & setting also play a big role. Set: your current state of mind; Setting: where you are, what's going on around you, and what other people bring into your life. Try not to smoke if things around you are crazy, or if you're experiencing negative thoughts.

Try this: instead of getting stoned during the daytime, wait until right before you go to bed. Take one *small* hit, lay down, and observe your thoughts. The hit should be small, because when you're in bed and have no distractions, the weed's effects will become more manifest than usual. This is one of the methods I've used to successfully find peace with pot.

I registered to reply to this thread.

I've been a regular vaper for going on 4 years now. I've loved every single day, every single evening getting baked and playing video games. I used to get baked before going to class, before going to the gym, before work sometimes, every time before going out to eat, before any big meal... I just loved the warm/comfy place it put me. I could just relax and enjoy it. I smoked when I was in my teens and stopped for about 10 years before starting back up. It helped me deal with anxiety, and allowed me to deal with the health issues I was having (just dentist fears, really).

For some reason, the last few months, I started to enjoy it less and less. I remember having a really bad panic attack out of nowhere when I got really baked, which never happened to me. I thought it was the strain I had, but I don't think so. After that every time I smoked I started to get less relaxed and just more anxious. Invasive thoughts, cloudy headedness, feeling distracted. This started to turn into serious anxiety any time I smoked, and lingering anxiety afterwards. I got fairly sick (painful infection followed by what I think was a viral infection) that finally got me to stop smoking altogether, as I couldn't deal with the anxiety anymore. The withdrawls were pretty annoying, including no appetite whatsoever (combined with being sick) and just general crankiness.

Once the withdrawals were over and I started to feel better, I decided to try out my old friend again. Within 30 minutes (maybe overdoing it a little bit, not recognizing how little tolerance I already had) I was uncomfortable and anxious. My heart was racing, and even though I knew nothing bad was going to happen, I just could not calm myself down. I ended up driving really far to see my S/O so I could feel 'normal'. For some reason being alone just makes it worse -- I feel like I'm going crazy. Even a couple of days afterwards, no vaping, I still have that "after-high" effect where my brain is all cloudy. And I still have some lingering anxiety.

I also started to have symptoms of depersonalization disorder in the last few months, which only added to the anxiety. I really miss just sitting back and enjoying some good bud :(. It used to be my go-to relaxation method. My current schedule is insane (school and full time work, both very demanding), and it was just such an easy way to unwind at the end of every busy ass day. I've tried doing yoga to relax, which helps, but it's just not the same.

I'm really concerned I'll never be able to enjoy it again.

I registered to reply to this thread.

I've been a regular vaper for going on 4 years now. I've loved every single day, every single evening getting baked and playing video games. I used to get baked before going to class, before going to the gym, before work sometimes, every time before going out to eat, before any big meal... I just loved the warm/comfy place it put me. I could just relax and enjoy it. I smoked when I was in my teens and stopped for about 10 years before starting back up. It helped me deal with anxiety, and allowed me to deal with the health issues I was having (just dentist fears, really).

For some reason, the last few months, I started to enjoy it less and less. I remember having a really bad panic attack out of nowhere when I got really baked, which never happened to me. I thought it was the strain I had, but I don't think so. After that every time I smoked I started to get less relaxed and just more anxious. Invasive thoughts, cloudy headedness, feeling distracted. This started to turn into serious anxiety any time I smoked, and lingering anxiety afterwards. I got fairly sick (painful infection followed by what I think was a viral infection) that finally got me to stop smoking altogether, as I couldn't deal with the anxiety anymore. The withdrawls were pretty annoying, including no appetite whatsoever (combined with being sick) and just general crankiness.

Once the withdrawals were over and I started to feel better, I decided to try out my old friend again. Within 30 minutes (maybe overdoing it a little bit, not recognizing how little tolerance I already had) I was uncomfortable and anxious. My heart was racing, and even though I knew nothing bad was going to happen, I just could not calm myself down. I ended up driving really far to see my S/O so I could feel 'normal'. For some reason being alone just makes it worse -- I feel like I'm going crazy. Even a couple of days afterwards, no vaping, I still have that "after-high" effect where my brain is all cloudy. And I still have some lingering anxiety.

I also started to have symptoms of depersonalization disorder in the last few months, which only added to the anxiety. I really miss just sitting back and enjoying some good bud :(. It used to be my go-to relaxation method. My current schedule is insane (school and full time work, both very demanding), and it was just such an easy way to unwind at the end of every busy ass day. I've tried doing yoga to relax, which helps, but it's just not the same.

I'm really concerned I'll never be able to enjoy it again.

Yeah, I had the whole depersonalization thing too.

I think I may get a little bud tonight and hopefully more then 4mgs of xanax.

I'm hoping for the best, but prepared for the worst. If worst comes to worst, I may end up taking the whole 4mgs but I may just do two, but I'm sure for those who had experience with marijuana anxiety and panic attacks, we can get really desperate.

I could take some just before, but I want to see what shall happen by itself.

Wish me luck, GODSPEED!

EDIT: Ugh, I'm feeling like this may be a really idea, I don't know man.

I wish I knew the reason for the depersonalization thing -- that is really freaky. Like looking in the mirror and not really feeling like it's you looking back. Man is that uncomfortable.

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/495465-Does-Has-Weed-Ever-Given-You-A-Panic-Attack/page5

I've found this thread and I've been reading through, and it's given me some comfort knowing that it's not just me. I'm really interested as to why this happens, especially given that it seems to be such a common thing. I just want to enjoy my herbs again :(.

You could slowly build your tolerance up by eating some mid strength edibles just before you lie down for bed. The stone will kick in after youre asleep and if you get a full 8 hours sleep, diminish well before you wake. But your body will still be building up some resistance. After a week or so I bet you could get a toke in without a panic attack/anxiety/etc.

I also get anxiety from pot and Im a daily user of over a decade. It just comes with the territory after you lose that first golden tolerance, some more than others.

I got the weed my friends!

AND THE XANAX!!!!

Worst case scenario, take the xanax, jerk off, and pass out.

Will keep you guys updated.

There's some pretty solid research that shows novice users are affected MUCH more when they smoke than veteran users - so much so they cannot drive properly or do complex tasks like they can sober. Anxiety and an overwhelming feeling is pretty common, but with regular repeated use this abates.

Keep smoking small amounts every evening and you'll get used to it. You might not, but most people do.

My opinion is that benzos don't really have a place as a recreational drug and are better off kept to what they're intended for because when you need them, you want them to work.

I think he is using xanax as an aid to keep the anxiety down or a reboot to get out of a panic ridden high.

I really think pot brings out the subconscious. Anything little that is bothering you comes out but because it's your subconscious you don't always realize.

I'm sure it's that a couple of other factors that I'm sure of. One other could be one is already predisposed to these problems and pot just brings them out.

There's some pretty solid research that shows novice users are affected MUCH more when they smoke than veteran users - so much so they cannot drive properly or do complex tasks like they can sober. Anxiety and an overwhelming feeling is pretty common, but with regular repeated use this abates.

Keep smoking small amounts every evening and you'll get used to it. You might not, but most people do.

My opinion is that benzos don't really have a place as a recreational drug and are better off kept to what they're intended for because when you need them, you want them to work.
Well, the idea of having the benzos was in case of a panic attack and anxiety, which I've had in the past after smoking marijuana, so intended to use them as I needed to.

Also, after smoking for years marijuana, without a doubt at the very least attributed to if not the sole cause for my deteriorating mental health related to anxiety. So on the concept of it abated, yeah for some, I seen it with my own eyes but some just end up suffering the consequences.

I took a wispy little toke last night to the point I barely felt it and by no means am I complaining and I'm debating just keeping it at that and throwing away the rest.

Probably best I do so, I know in my mind and heart it more then likely isn't risking my mental health.

I think he is using xanax as an aid to keep the anxiety down or a reboot to get out of a panic ridden high.

I really think pot brings out the subconscious. Anything little that is bothering you comes out but because it's your subconscious you don't always realize.

I'm sure it's that a couple of other factors that I'm sure of. One other could be one is already predisposed to these problems and pot just brings them out.

I hear that, that but at times it brings out completely irrational and senseless thought patters, to the point they're intrusive. Not hear to argue rather marijuana makes people psychotic but it damn mimicked that at times.

Well, the idea of having the benzos was in case of a panic attack and anxiety, which I've had in the past after smoking marijuana, so intended to use them as I needed to.

That's fine, if it's something like once a month then that's exactly what it's designed for. It's just when it gets more frequent, in the order of once a week, followed by once every few days and so on - you get the idea. As long as one exercises a little bit of self restraint it's not particularly dangerous but all I'm saying is it's a drug that needs to be treated with the utmost respect because otherwise it could bite you on the ass. I thought it was worth mentioning because 'mother's little helper', the drug ubiquitous in the american medicine cabinet has a dangerous side and the consequences of rampant over-prescribing are severe. Here in the UK, where getting a prescription for a benzo is like trying to find diamonds the people that need it often go without but at least you don't have anywhere near the amount of life destroying benzo addiction. I am not trying to be alarmist though.

Also, after smoking for years marijuana, without a doubt at the very least attributed to if not the sole cause for my deteriorating mental health related to anxiety. So on the concept of it abated, yeah for some, I seen it with my own eyes but some just end up suffering the consequences.

I took a wispy little toke last night to the point I barely felt it and by no means am I complaining and I'm debating just keeping it at that and throwing away the rest.

Probably best I do so, I know in my mind and heart it more then likely isn't risking my mental health.

Sure, I wouldn't argue with that. But on the flip side I've had the complete opposite, so if someone is having anxiety at the the very first times they smoke I think it's worth giving it another chance instead of deciding the drug is not for you straight off the bat because like in my own personal experience, the anxiety can subside with repeated use. There's some research to back that assertion up so it's not simply an anecdote, but for some (you included obviously) they are an exception to the rule. The idea that you get less anxious the more you smoke seems counter-intuitive but it's a real phenomenon.

edit: I just realise you're the OP. For some reason I thought you were replying to someone else's original post. Apologies for the confusion!

Last edited:
I hear that, that but at times it brings out completely irrational and senseless thought patters, to the point they're intrusive. Not hear to argue rather marijuana makes people psychotic but it damn mimicked that at times.
I know exactly what you're talking about. If pot really does make the area of your brain that controls paranoia hyperactive I think that would make your subconscious even more crazy.

The same thing happened to me. Smoked it 24/7 from 14 to 19, then quit because the psychosis symptoms were getting outta hand. I think its your brains way of making you quit. I was a lazy bastard with no ambitions or plans, once I quit I started studying chemistry, now I'm a chem major. I can enjoy it again now (6 years later), but the urge to abuse it is strong, especially with these synthetic CB agonists. I can't function in society at all on them though, they make me so physically clumbsy that I look like I'd just huffed some ether or something. Trazodone, gabapentin, pregabalin and clonidine are all much less physically addicting than benzos. Trazodone is a good one because you only need a tiny dose (5mg) for anxiolytic effects. A slightly higher dose (25-50mg) will put you asleep.

Last edited:
I know exactly what you're talking about. If pot really does make the area of your brain that controls paranoia hyperactive I think that would make your subconscious even more crazy.

Obviously it comes from somewhere within, so I guess yeah the subconscious, but it is more like a foreign intruder coming about to wreak havoc, murdering and raping the village people of my mind...a little humor people.