• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Graffiti

yeah same, i just saw lots of blacks playing bowls or whatever it is in the parks and pig trouts in the supermarket.

ha ha ha ha.
i saw locals freerunning from the ground > table tops > half cut tree's > tree tops.
pretty damn cool.
there was a lot of graffiti around the place but it was all pretty dodgy.. what's that word again..? oh yeah, ToYz.

Hi Everyone,

I'm just wondering if any Australian graffitti artists out there have done political works/banners on topics like 'Drug Law Reform' , 'The Sydney Morning Herald or the Sydney MINING Herald', or 'Welfare or Not Fair'? Is anyone doing art with a political edge? Mind you, I"m pretty naive on the whole graffitti movement.

Not really, it kinda depends what one refers to as graff. Graff to me and most the people I know is not really about political messages at all, but can sometimes have witty messages written next to, or within them. Its more about doing sick burners that are colourful and often have 3d and focus on the lettering and style. Its usually about getting your name up, or your crews.

Some will of course argue putting any message on a surface is graffiti, but to purists and heads its more about just getting up and vandalism, especially on trains or train lines. Like-

tumblr_m6a5vu5Okq1rnstiko1_500.png
or -
tumblr_m67altUIIO1rnstiko1_1280.jpg

There was the group ages ago who were called bugaup who used to vandalise and change ads on billboards and the like to have witty, messages. Like -
wank.jpg

http://www.bugaup.org/howto.htm

There are also 'street artists' or 'stencil artists' who often play on politics and state of affairs with in the world. I guess Banksy is the most well known, or famous of them and shepard fairy who did the obama hope and Andre the giant ones.

http://www.rashfilm.com/ is pretty good, you can probably see it on youtube.

images
Shepard fairy.. He was getting sued for using Obamas image tho, not sure how that turned out.

Bankys exit thru the gift shop -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsNOGAsGNL0&feature=fvwrel

dondi.jpg

'Style wars' is a good film to watch on the start of the train writing scene, which was in NYC is the late 60's and early 70's and 80's I think

That DONDI piece says 1980 on it.

the there's stuff like this -

newtown_burqa_mural-300x191.jpg

Which is some guys view. It's in Newtown I think. It was shown on the recent show 'Are Aussies Dumb, Drunk and Racist'

Thanks Poledriver and everyone else, your explanations of the graffitti scene are really informative.

Poledriver, I must say, that Winnie Red Advert had me chuckling.

I also liked the Burqa one, not because what it's saying, but because it is a clear representation of politics in public art.

Thanks Guys.

I'm really not sure how I came about this site, I was googling something and stumbled across it. Interesting read, but straight up have never read so many ignorant posts in my life. I have a degree in Fine Art, exhibited around the world, yet because I choose to use the spraycan as my medium, so I get the 'Vandal' branded on me by 'Common Folk'. I'm guessing that this is some sort of party drug site? Do you guys love the stereo type that all drug users are heroin junkie homeless smackheads? It's the same thing.

....I was going to post a pic, but becasue I'm new, I'm guessing I can't:(

Here a great pic by Mau Mau which highlights the political nature of the London Olympics. Sadly, since this photo was taken the Council of London has scrubed the mural off, even though it was put on private property with permission of the owner.

Clown-Town-THTC-Photo-by-Light-Factory-Studio.jpg

It highlights capitalism's usurping of sport.

I'm really not sure how I came about this site, I was googling something and stumbled across it. Interesting read, but straight up have never read so many ignorant posts in my life. I have a degree in Fine Art, exhibited around the world, yet because I choose to use the spraycan as my medium, so I get the 'Vandal' branded on me by 'Common Folk'. I'm guessing that this is some sort of party drug site? Do you guys love the stereo type that all drug users are heroin junkie homeless smackheads? It's the same thing.

....I was going to post a pic, but becasue I'm new, I'm guessing I can't:(

I think you can post a pic. Try using this-

The rest of your rant I can't be fucked replying to though.

That's kinda cool Seth, not so cool how they buffed it when on private property.

Here's Banksy's ones -

tumblr_m7pp51UeFI1rtz4hao1_500.jpg

Banksy mystery: where are the Olympics artworks?

The search is on in London for renowned street artist Banksy's latest Olympic-themed work. And the images have put the spotlight on the city's controversial hardline attitude to graffiti and street art leading into the Games.

Banksy, an internationally respected stencil artist, has created two striking works featuring athletes — one appearing to pole vault over a fence beside a concrete wall and a second holding a missile in place of a javelin.

The elusive, East London-based figure published photographs of the stencils on his website this week but their locations remain secret.
Do you know where the Banksy artworks are? Email Georgina Robinson (link above, next to reporter's headshot)

And with good reason — professional graffiti artists have been targeted in what many say is a heavy-handed police crackdown on street art leading into the Olympics.

Last week, British Transport Police arrested well-known artist Darren Cullen, who has in the past created works for corporates including Adidas and Microsoft, and banned him from going within a couple of kilometres of any Olympic venue, owning paint or using most public transport.

Cullen, 38, was even approached by the British Olympic team to to paint the athletes' village, but was arrested last week in a move, BTP said, designed to protect the "integrity" of the event.

He was the highest profile name among a handful of recent arrests, according to The Guardian, and is part of a city-wide campaign by authorities to head off any potential disruptions.
The campaign has been heavily criticised by some locals, who say street art is a core part of London's culture and identity.

A colourful mural by artist Mau Mau, called Town Clown, was painted over by council officials after six days on show, despite having the approval of the building owner.

The work, painted on the side of a west London warehouse, depicted a Ronald McDonald-esque 'torchbearer' running past Olympic rings with dollars flying out of its pockets and the names of sponsors on its front.
"I kind of expected it. I guess someone deemed it was offensive to the public," Mau Mau told the BBC. "It's about the brand police they have now - it's crazy how they're going about it."

It is not clear whether Banksy's work will be targeted as well. The Guardian's art writer, Jonathan Jones, said the issue highlighted London's "deeply uncomfortable" relationship with the Olympics.

"An event that is all about massive finance, colossal scale, hyper-organisation and culture delivered from above is being superimposed on a capital that happens to be best at improvisation, dirty realism, punk aesthetics and low art," Jones wrote last week.

"Tourists don't come to London for shining perfection. They come for old and new in chaotic ungainly juxtaposition. And they come, partly, for Banksy. The prince of street art is our most famous contemporary artist, however much the moneyed art world would like to believe otherwise.

Banksy postcards and canvas Banksy reproductions sell alongside royal memorabilia in London – west country man as he may be. So how is the Olympics benefiting London by enforcing a clean-up of its most globally recognised art movement?"

http://www.smh.com.au/olympics/news...are-the-olympics-artworks-20120725-22qoh.html

Thanks for those Banksy pics, Poledriver. No wonder he is considered the best of the best within the grafitti world. His works are brilliant.

I do like Banksy. His 'fame', if you will, isn't without controversy though. I can't remember the name of the doco, I think it was graffiti wars or something. But it claims that Banksy's style has to a large extent, been based on other artists, particularly a guy from France called 'Le Rat'. Most importantly though, this doco raised the issue that in a lot of places, Banksy's work is protected, whilst other graffiti artists have their works painted over, and face the usual consequences for illegal vandalism, which Banksy is often exempt from. This has understandably caused some conflict between artists.

It raises interesting questions, I guess, on what is art, and what works have artistic merit. It seems a bit baffling to me, the (seemingly) whole world's obsession with Banksy, and the recognition of his artistic talent, whilst in the same breath dismissing other graffiti artists as vandals. It makes you wonder how an artist is recognised as having talent - the whole deal with Banksy definitely makes it seem like it's based a great deal on popular opinion and what's in vogue, rather than an objective appraisal of artistic talent or even aethetics.