• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Good Documentaries v. is that a doc?

Settling down to rinse the boxset of The Hunt this afternoon (BBC Earth Attenborough doc from last year I think). First episode down and I'm already sucked in, amazing aerial footage like I've not seen in BBC Earth docs before, guess they're using drones now too. Also, a spider squirting silk 25m across a river, wtf?!

Beautiful stuff all the same though, not many things about the BBC make me think it's worth the license fee these days, but this still clinches it for me.

You'll storm through that in no time, man. It's an excellent series.

There's not too much material from Attenborough that isn't great.

Has anybody watched the new film, 'Hypernormalisation', from Adam Curtis?

I watched in on iPlayer last night and I thought it was excellent. Granted, I am a complete Adam Curtis fanboy and have watched most of his films, but I'm sure it's objectively good :p

I watched in on iPlayer last night and I thought it was excellent. Granted, I am a complete Adam Curtis fanboy and have watched most of his films, but I'm sure it's objectively good :p

i got about halfway through it today! i love the retro film clips.
have you seen his other one on iPlayer, Bitter Lake? i need to find out the soundtrack to that one - dem ambient beats <3

i got about halfway through it today! i love the retro film clips.
have you seen his other one on iPlayer, Bitter Lake? i need to find out the soundtrack to that one - dem ambient beats <3

Yeah I've seen that and I think it's one of his best.

If you like his stuff and the retro film clips, you should check out some of his other films - they're all very good. You can watch a lot of his films on thoughtmaybe.com.

There's also a library of many other interesting documentaries on there to gorge on, too :)

Chris Herren - Unguarded I just watched today. Thought it was incredibly candid, shocking, sad and joyous as the story went on. Well worth a watch if you ever fucked up something great you had by opiate abuse, hits very close to the mark...

https://vimeo.com/79305689

Yeah I've seen that and I think it's one of his best.

If you like his stuff and the retro film clips, you should check out some of his other films - they're all very good. You can watch a lot of his films on thoughtmaybe.com.

There's also a library of many other interesting documentaries on there to gorge on, too :)

it was the first of his material that i ever came across and it got me hooked right from the start. i mean, just the editing itself! beautiful.
have you ever listened to Board of Canada? there's something about Curtis' work, the two are almost an echo of one another.
ha getting a little deep here, but yeah thanks for the link, i'll be sure to check it out now :)

Was just coming here to recommend that! His best in years imo. His new style didn't quite work for me for his previous doc but this one was pure genius. Highly recommended. As are all of his others cos even his "lesser" docs are still head and shoulders above most. Required viewing for people with functioning nervous systems.

Nice - I haven't seen that, I'll add that to the list and watch it tonight.

Has anyone seen 'Operation Avalanche' ? - It's a pretty interesting spoof about the faking of the moon landing, the story of why it was faked, how they went about it etc.

Last edited:
Not sure if i have mentioned this before but i recently watched for the third time ( its really that good ) Beware Mr Baker, a doco on Ginger Baker from Cream...possibly the best drummer ever but definitely a total freak. The doco starts with Ginger smashing the film maker with his cane splitting his head opens....and only gets better. Highly recommended.

Was just coming here to recommend that! His best in years imo. His new style didn't quite work for me for his previous doc but this one was pure genius. Highly recommended. As are all of his others cos even his "lesser" docs are still head and shoulders above most. Required viewing for people with functioning nervous systems.

Wow been watching it this morning, it is really good. Best documentary I have watched in years.

Not sure if i have mentioned this before but i recently watched for the third time ( its really that good ) Beware Mr Baker, a doco on Ginger Baker from Cream...possibly the best drummer ever but definitely a total freak. The doco starts with Ginger smashing the film maker with his cane splitting his head opens....and only gets better. Highly recommended.

Heh, guy was/is a total nutter. But as a former member of Cream & Hawkwind, he can be excused for anything...

Heh, guy was/is a total nutter. But as a former member of Cream & Hawkwind, he can be excused for anything...
You need to watch this bro. Its on YouTube i think. Fucking classic. Absolute nutter but a fucking genius drummer. Doco is eye opening...and head splitting..

I watched a pretty depressing documentary last night that I would suggest you watching -

The Pearl Button - The ocean contains the history of all humanity.

Stories about the ocean, Early Patagonia and how diversity aka cultural enritchment worked out for them.

(If your downloading for a samplemake sure you get one with the subtitles).

Wow been watching it this morning, it is really good. Best documentary I have watched in years.

Glad you enjoyed it! I really would strongly recommend his previous work (yes, all of it) if you've not seen it yet. His analyses of any number of historic and ongoing socio-political issues (and especially how the former set up the latter) is pure class, and, imo, some of the most relevant and accurate info out there. Just search "Adam Curtis" and they are all on PooToob afaik.

Also, that Ginger Baker recommendation sounds like a winner to me. Cream <3

Dammit! Must get that Ginger Baker one properly on my (very frikkin long) ToWatch list.

Ah well, recent documentarial viewings have included...

Gringo - The Dangerous Life of John Mcaffee: As recommended by Bella, this is a quality doc focussed upon our very own Stuffmonger and his murderously crazy batshittery. Featuring more relevant interviews and depth than any other doc I've seen about the fruitloop himself this is a must-see for any self-respecting EADDer imo.

Elstree, 1976: Wonderfully low-key doc about the stars of Star Wars whose faces are never seen on screen. Much more about the people than the film (but with plenty there for the film fanatics too) this was very pleasing to me.

Doc of The Dead: As it says on the tin, this is a doc about the phenomena of the zombie film in popular culture. Featuring interviews with anybody who raised any body that matters, this is a very nice overview with plenty to please anyone who secretly awaits the inevitable zombie apocalypse. Also a great way in for those that just don't get it but have an interest all the same.

Yeah i would say Beware Mr Baker is easily the best music doco ever. Hands down. Pretty sure the whole thing is on YouTube.

Traceroute

Watched this earlier and was great find. Austrian fella documents a road trip across the geekiest nerdplaces in America (well, a surprisingly wide, varied and interesting selection of 'em anyway). Covering topics from philosophy to feminism, Stan Winston to cyberpunk, technology to tinfoilery. Deep, light, broad, witty, funny, and very original. One of the best docs of its type I've seen. Highly recommended.

Last edited: