• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Good Documentaries v. is that a doc?

Louis Theroux - A Different Brain - new Theroux focussing on brain injury. Some very touching - sometimes downright heartrending - stories. One of the better Louis dox I've seen recently.

Horizon: E-cigs - Miracle or Menace? - perhaps unsurprisingly, neither. But some interesting tidbits that mostly suggest what one might expect: that e-cigs are almost certainly not harmless but are also far, far better than cigs. Also quite interesting that despite a month's worth of self-imposed vaped nicotine use, the lifelong non-smoker Doc Mosely never once gets to the point of craving nicotine. The tentative suggestion (not just from that one data point) is that e-cigs are not only less harmful but also less-addicting than cigarettes. Although apparently fairly shit to introduce to a non-smoker all the same.

Louis Theroux - A Different Brain - new Theroux focussing on brain injury. Some very touching - sometimes downright heartrending - stories. One of the better Louis dox I've seen recently.

Horizon: E-cigs - Miracle or Menace? - perhaps unsurprisingly, neither. But some interesting tidbits that mostly suggest what one might expect: that e-cigs are almost certainly not harmless but are also far, far better than cigs. Also quite interesting that despite a month's worth of self-imposed vaped nicotine use, the lifelong non-smoker Doc Mosely never once gets to the point of craving nicotine. The tentative suggestion (not just from that one data point) is that e-cigs are not only less harmful but also less-addicting than cigarettes. Although apparently fairly shit to introduce to a non-smoker all the same.

A Different Brain was very touching and had me wipe a way a wee tear or two. So did his previous film, mind you. He's been one of my favourite documentary makers for a long time/ He's a very intelligent and incredibly perceptive man. It's been great watching his style mature so much since his first films.

Do you know if there's another film to follow in this series?

There's been no release date confirmed yet but I'm really looking forward to the public release of his new (well it premiered last year privately) film - My Scientology Movie.

I too am a lifelong (as far as it goes) fan of Louis and would agree it has been great watching his style gradually change over the years. He seems genuinely caring, sypathetic/empathetic and insightful. It's a rare combination and one to be greatly admired.

Dunno about future films but I would suspect so. Last couple things he did were in threes from memory. I actually didn't know about his film so will be keeping an eye out for that - thanks, Don =D<3

Anyone watched "the fear of 13" really mad story the guy tells.

I watched A Different Brain and saw a lot of similarities in my own mental state in the weeks and months after my own head injury, lowered inhibitions, bluntness, sudden changes in mood and a fierce desire to be independent despite not being capable. I feel very grateful that by and large I recovered though, makes me realise how things could have ended up much much worse for me!

Definitely made me think about how things can drastically - and potentially irreversibly - change so easily. One of the things that came through especially well was the range of people - it really could happen any time to anybody. Scary stuff 8o

^ Quite fancy that, Yo, thanks for the headsup. Also, great to see you back :)

Watched a couple dox recently but this short one will probably be of most interest here...

Drug Addicted Children

Focussed on the problem of childhood opiate addiction in Afghanistan. Ever wondered how a toddler would get hooked on heroin? Wonder no more. Traumatised kids brought up in a warzone and the fukked up situation left behind when "The Coalition of the Willing" had finished trashing the place and buggered off leaving nowt but a corrupt president and a shattered country in their wake. Pretty horrific stuff with no easy answers the way things stand at the moment. Place needs a helluva lot help to rebuild and renew... and the chances of that are slim to none unfortunately :\

Jeezus - the consequences of war that our righteous governments never admit...

I watched A Different Brain and saw a lot of similarities in my own mental state in the weeks and months after my own head injury, lowered inhibitions, bluntness, sudden changes in mood and a fierce desire to be independent despite not being capable. I feel very grateful that by and large I recovered though, makes me realise how things could have ended up much much worse for me!
I have seen many acquired brain injuries in the course of my work. Everything from falling over and knocking your head, assaults are a common cause, as are car accidents and various causes of hypoxia. The deficits range from mild ( forgetting things) to severe ie requiring full care. This can happen to anyone at anytime. The brain is a remarkable thing. It can grow new neurons and open new pathways (neuroplasticity) but unfortunately most acquired brain injuries are usually too severe to come back to normal. Its very sad to see. Especially in young people.

1989: The Summer of Rave - Fairly cheesy doc about the summer of '89, what fed into it and what it shat out.

The Chemical Generation - Doc from 2001 featuring Boy George interviewing various folks in relation to the birth of the rave scene and with a particular focus on the use of MDMA morphing into more cocaine use.

Generation of Sound - Mid-90s doc about the rave scene from an American perspective. Funny how it kinda fizzled out over there before mutating and re-emerging as the heavily-sanitised "EDM" scene 20-odd years down the line.

I watched a rather interesting documentary on Porton Down the other day. I hadn't heard of it up until a few days ago but basically is where the MoD do research on chemical & biological weapons. It has featured more in the media in the past.

I thought it covered it all quite well. The history was fascinating as well as learning how it has changed roles as times & threats have changed. Of course they only allow them to film certain areas & won't even say what some of the buildings on the site are used for. Does make you wonder whether part of this is a PR exercise to allow less questions over more dubious stuff they obviously don't do. :sus:

Of course the highlight of the documentary is Michael Mosley being exposed to CS gas. He always seems willing to try anything. :D

It's still on the BBC iPlayer for another 27 days:

Inside Porton Down: Britain's Secret Weapons Research Facility

I watched a rather interesting documentary on Porton Down the other day. I hadn't heard of it up until a few days ago but basically is where the MoD do research on chemical & biological weapons. It has featured more in the media in the past.

I thought it covered it all quite well. The history was fascinating as well as learning how it has changed roles as times & threats have changed. Of course they only allow them to film certain areas & won't even say what some of the buildings on the site are used for. Does make you wonder whether part of this is a PR exercise to allow less questions over more dubious stuff they obviously don't do. :sus:

Of course the highlight of the documentary is Michael Mosley being exposed to CS gas. He always seems willing to try anything. :D

It's still on the BBC iPlayer for another 27 days:

Inside Porton Down: Britain's Secret Weapons Research Facility

Yeh, Porton Down was the focus of many a protest movement in the 80's, along with Cruise missiles, nuclear power and Maggie Thatcher. I started watching that documentary, but fell asleep after the bit about mustard gas.

Yeh, Porton Down was the focus of many a protest movement in the 80's, along with Cruise missiles, nuclear power and Maggie Thatcher. I started watching that documentary, but fell asleep after the bit about mustard gas.

Ah you never made it to the part where they were distilling agent VX. Sounds like some nasty shit... 100x more potent than Sarin or something like that. 8(

Ah you never made it to the part where they were distilling agent VX. Sounds like some nasty shit... 100x more potent than Sarin or something like that. 8(

Shit. Makes you wonder what they've got that they don't admit to. I'm going to watch it now...

I watched it last night....

Loved the bit where he's leaning on the cabinet where they're making the Sarin and the guy says don't get too close or lean you hands on the cabinet mate.....the fella nearly shits himself...

The bit with the VX is mental too.....he makes like about 50ml of it and casually says "yeah that would be enough to kill a few hundred thousand people.......

Fuck me......

Loved the bit where he's leaning on the cabinet where they're making the Sarin and the guy says don't get too close or lean you hands on the cabinet mate.....the fella nearly shits himself...

The bit with the VX is mental too.....he makes like about 50ml of it and casually says "yeah that would be enough to kill a few hundred thousand people.......

Fuck me......
Sounds like a less toxic version of FUBARS sweat

Fuck me......

Meh, I've double dropped VX before :p

I did watch this the other night and found it fascinating. It does really make one wonder about the type of things being developed there that are still classified.

Meh, I've double dropped VX before :p

I did watch this the other night and found it fascinating. It does really make one wonder about the type of things being developed there that are still classified.
FUBAR's sweat