Votes: 1 6.7%
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • ⭐️⭐️

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ⭐️

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
hmm, i guess inbreeding doesn't have as much affect there as it does here..i'm pretty sure if twins had children they'd come out pretty fucked up. seems to be more of a mental effect in game of thrones. and what i said about tyrion i guessed that since cersei and jamie inbred it wouldn't be too far of a jump to assume others in their house did the same.

sorry one more :

tumblr_lmlsdvDn401qdovgno1_500.png

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Hahah.

her chapters get a little better further in the series, not because she becomes less irritating as a character, but because she's surrounded by a lot of interesting people and some major players and we see a lot of them through her eyes (namely Littlefingers and Cersei)

I can't stand Bran's chapters either, I actually skipped them the second time I read the series.

wow what an amazing episode! best of the season.

spoilers for just the show

NSFW:

This whole episode was far and away the best of the series, everything went together so well and was amazing.

One of (if not THE) most moving moments for me was Aemon Targaryen describing his 'trial' to Jon Snow. Aemon is just the 'blind' brother of the Night's Watch for so long, that it was shocking to see his face contort and grimace as he described knowing the Targareyn house was falling, the murder of his entire family, the overthrow of his royal house, etc. He's the last Targareyn in Westeros, and I feel for him.

I'm glad they focused on Arya & Ned during the execution at Baelor. That could have been a totally messed up thing, but they did it perfectly. From Ned & Arya locking eyes to Yoren nodding in agreement and pulling Arya away to the few seconds before Ned died. It was wildly tense and emotional and riveting. I simply cannot get enough of it. Perfectly, perfectly shot, timed, everything. From the swing of the sword to Arya's gasp and the flying birds. Killing me.

Although I hated her character in the book, I have to applaud Catelyn Stark. She learned from her mistake and this time made sure Robb got the right Lannister brother. I am excited for Jamie to play out now, because this is the time when he really gets his due as a character and grows, his time as a prisoner with the wolves. I almost shouted out in relief when the horses started bolting through the trees toward her, and her audible shriek of delight that her son still lived. As I said, this episode was FUCKING REAL.

I wish Dany got more time this week. I assume that next episode will be all hers, and we know why. ;)

Tyrion was the main player though, and his story telling of Tysha was fucking heart wrenching, and you could see it in his face. We met Shae for the first time, and I tell you, I'm already sick of her. Peter Dinklage is doing a great job so far! I watched this episode with PB's brother who knew nothing of the book, tv show, anything, and we were all laughing at Tyrion's witty comebacks and snarky one liners. oh Tyrion. what a great character.

random side notes:

Ugh, Walder Frey. Disgusting. Perfectly acted, however. Totally disgusting. Cool addition to the opening credits though, did anyone else notice that? The Twins get a 4 second glance and bridge over the Trident.

Bill Nighy is credited in this season as The Mad King and has yet to appear. Perhaps as a flashback of Jamie's? We've only got one episode left so it has to be.

i wanted to write so much more but i just watched the preview for episode 10 (Fire and Blood) :

http://www.hbo.com/#/game-of-throne...VpFaUcDIysjGySSeWluQX5CRW2pYUlaayMQIATB0XOA==

and holy shit I can't write anymore so good night all you bookfags, can't wait to read what else you thought of later!!

See also:

Hipster Bronn:

tumblr_lmdls9azou1qd54p7o1_500.gif

Crime show spin off:

tumblr_llf6tdScH71qdt6hko1_500.jpg

IRL Hipster Jon:

9dggV.jpg

hmm, i guess inbreeding doesn't have as much affect there as it does here..i'm pretty sure if twins had children they'd come out pretty fucked up. seems to be more of a mental effect in game of thrones. and what i said about tyrion i guessed that since cersei and jamie inbred it wouldn't be too far of a jump to assume others in their house did the same.

Yeah I'd say the effect isn't as pronounced as in the real world.. in the real world I'm fairly certain brother to sister breeding causes serious consequences very quickly. Not so much in this series (aside from mental/physical frailty and eventual madness after generations).

As an aside.. I'm not certain that any of the 3 inbred kids are jacked up because of their breeding necessarily. The younger two strike me as much like Sansa (if you read the books, Sansa is very dimwitted) and Joffrey is a monster but most of the Kings and Kings to be seem to share that trait. I'd say that all 3 personalities are a result of their surroundings more than anything.

As an aside.. I'm not certain that any of the 3 inbred kids are jacked up because of their breeding necessarily. The younger two strike me as much like Sansa (if you read the books, Sansa is very dimwitted) and Joffrey is a monster but most of the Kings and Kings to be seem to share that trait. I'd say that all 3 personalities are a result of their surroundings more than anything.

really? because to me Tommen is waay worse than Sansa. Tommen throws a fit and acts like a toddler the entire time he's alone with Cersei at the funeral for her father, because he doesn't get to do his favourite activity (placing the royal stamp on things) etc etc, which lets Cersei do what ever she wants. At the opening in the books, he's the same age as Bran. On the other hand, Myrcella is more like Sansa in the traditional girlie ways, and in being used as a political pawn by her older male relatives (Tyrion.)

Actually, in the book, Tywin married his cousin.

But that was pretty common in medieval times, and wasn't as genetically dangerous as one might assume, although it's a good way to get bad recessive genes to crop up.

As for the latest episodes, I feel like the Northmen have some less intelligent motives.

Here's HBO's version: I, Robb, will march south to King's Landing and free my father. Yah!

Here's the book: I, Robb will call the banners to defend the north. But the most logical place to defend the north, the Neck, won't support a standing army. Plus, our allies and potential allies in the Riverlands (House Tully) are under attack from the Lannisters. So we'll have to take the battle to the Riverlands.

Much better.

Also, poor Tyrion. He totally gets shafted in the battle scene. In the book, he actually did quite well, for his size. In the TV series, he gets knocked out right away.

really? because to me Tommen is waay worse than Sansa. Tommen throws a fit and acts like a toddler the entire time he's alone with Cersei at the funeral for her father, because he doesn't get to do his favourite activity (placing the royal stamp on things) etc etc, which lets Cersei do what ever she wants. At the opening in the books, he's the same age as Bran. On the other hand, Myrcella is more like Sansa in the traditional girlie ways, and in being used as a political pawn by her older male relatives (Tyrion.)

Sansa is 13, Tommen is 7 (in the books).. I'm saying they are both dimwitted but obviously age is going to allow Sansa to atleast appear less so. Tommen is really not given any viewpoints so the way he acts is not that much different than Bran to be honest (Bran grows a bit by midway through book 2 but we only see that via his viewpoints).

Most of the characters seem pretty dumb to be honest. Sansa is the little bird princess that does as she's told. Dany seems blind to the world and has some warped sense of right/wrong. Ned is hyped up on justice and honor. Robert is a drunken wreck. There's pretty few characters that one could consider well balanced.. some make great choices and then promptly undermine them with horrible ones. But I think that's really the purpose of the series.. to show that there are no perfect people. We're all a victim of our own lusts and blind to our own mistakes.

Last edited:
Oh, and Robb's speech rubbed me wrong.

Yes, I know, HBO, you're trying to show depth. But here's how you could have done it: Have Robb mention the battle to his bannermen. Have them comment, saying "We'll smash the Lannister scum" or something to that effect. (Umber would be great to say something to this, and you could foreshadow what happens with the Northmen and how they approach the south). Then have him privately talk to Cait, questioning what speech he should give, giving indication that he knows not all battles will be won, and that the fight ahead is long. But have him give a speech that is uplifting afterwards, yet details that the struggle will be hard and that there will be dark days.

The speech, as is, is pretty sad. It's depressing. And he's their lord and commander?

Recent episode spoilers:

NSFW:
Sure, he's a complete psychopath, but you have to hand it to Joffrey for fucking up everyone's plans. Cersai, Littlefinger, Varys, even Tywin all wanted Ned to go into exile at the Wall. But Joffrey throws a spanner into everyone's works by publicly ordering his execution, which is then swiftly carried out.

This is one of those plot developments where GRRM shows his true writing skills. Any other author would have had Joffrey accept the plans of everyone around him. But Joffrey is an asshole, and he behaves as such.

Oh, and Robb's speech rubbed me wrong.

Yes, I know, HBO, you're trying to show depth. But here's how you could have done it: Have Robb mention the battle to his bannermen. Have them comment, saying "We'll smash the Lannister scum" or something to that effect. (Umber would be great to say something to this, and you could foreshadow what happens with the Northmen and how they approach the south). Then have him privately talk to Cait, questioning what speech he should give, giving indication that he knows not all battles will be won, and that the fight ahead is long. But have him give a speech that is uplifting afterwards, yet details that the struggle will be hard and that there will be dark days.

The speech, as is, is pretty sad. It's depressing. And he's their lord and commander?

but he's a northman, is he not? all the other houses have words that are supposed to be promises of strength and duty and power, and instead the Starks are bleak doomsday words. Winter is Coming. Do they even know how to be happy? Jon and Arya fuck around, and laugh, (and look like each other) and because such Arya thought she was a bastard too. Don't seem like the uplifting type.

Considering that house Stark were descended from the "Kings of Winter", the words "Winter is Coming" may not be as bleak as they sound now.

Now that the honeymoon phase is ending a bit :p

Here's some gripes of mine:

NSFW:
Tyrion actually does well in the battle and I don't like that it wasn't portrayed that way in the show. Knocked out before battle? Come on! Way to cheapen the moment. Tyrion may be a dwarf but he kicks asses when he needs to.

The battle of whispering woods is one of the most important things that happens because Jaime Lannister is taken and the effects of that are far reaching. I wish they had shown that. Furthermore, I'm not a fan of how it went down in the series (oh surprise, 18k of our troops went the other way). In the books they send out raiding parties and Jaime keeps leading parties to clean them up. Then they trap him and butcher his men and he still nearly gets to Rob to kill him. That would have been a really awesome episode.

Overall it makes me wonder how they'll even attempt book 2 at all..

Things I thought they did well in the episode:

NSFW:
Thought the Drogo dying part was pretty decently done. I do wish that they could have used a little CGI to give the impression of a 40,000 strong Dathraki horde though so you get the importance of his death more.

I really thought they did a good job with Ned's death. The scene was well done and a good cliff hanger.

As an aside:

NSFW:
I'm having issues determining if the acting is any good. I'm reading the books simultaneously so the dialogue comes across as forced but that has nothing to do with the acting itself - simply that I know what the actors will be saying before they even say it. How do you guys feel about the acting? (for example I haven't found Dany convincing at all)

NSFW:
Thought the Drogo dying part was pretty decently done. I do wish that they could have used a little CGI to give the impression of a 40,000 strong Dathraki horde though so you get the importance of his death more.

I really thought they did a good job with Ned's death. The scene was well done and a good cliff hanger.

I loved both of those scenes. The tension was almost palpable during the fight outside Drogo's tent, and the final scene was amazing, even though I knew what was coming. Can't wait to see the fallout next week.

i've got another question for the book readers; what is the meaning behind bran's recurring dream with the 3 eyed raven, and the slain dire wolf with enough pups for each of ned's children? i feel like those are omens or something but i can't really figure out what it means... i don't wanna google anything anymore, i was reading up on the different houses to understand the backstory more and i stumbled upon what happens to daenerys, drogo, and ned :( accidental spoilers ftl

Other scenes I've liked:

NSFW:
When Tywin Lannister is telling Jaime to grow up and be the man he needs to be to lead the Lannister family (while skinning a deer for some reason). Not a scene from the books but definitely an important moment in the series. It really shows that the Lannisters, although villianous, are just a family out for survival. Sometimes you gotta do some dirty shit to keep your family alive.

The drinking game scene between Tyrion, Shae, and Bronn I thought was actually pretty good. Tyrion's marriage to a whore (at 13 in the books but 16 in the show btw) was important to his relationship with his father, brother, and women and reflects the way he treats Shae.

Also looking forward to the next episode. :)

For Marisa:

NSFW:
The Gods and Magic in the world are starting to become more important, as we'll see later in the series. The world is kind of waking up so to speak (thus the title "A Song of Ice and Fire" - Ice and Fire being 2 of the major elements/magics with their respective creatures - white walkers and dragons). One type of magic concerns dreams. A 'greendream' is a prophetic dream and some characters will have this power. Another thing we may see later on are shapechangers (also called Wargs) which are animal-human spiritual hybrids (kind of) but not to be confused with face-changers which are people who can change their physical appearance at will.

Hopefully that's enough of a hint but not too much of a spoiler (and hopefully I got all the details correct). :)

Last edited:
When Tywin Lannister is telling Jaime to grow up and be the man he needs to be to lead the Lannister family (while skinning a deer for some reason).

I loved that scene too, it perfectly established Tywin's character and his relationship with his family. They nailed who the lannisters are right there.

As for the deer thing, I think it worked on two levels. Firstly, it shows Tywin as a hands on kind of guy who doesn't hesitate to do the dirty work himself, and secondly because the Baratheon sigil is a stag, which ties in well with the events of the next few episodes.

Now that the honeymoon phase is ending a bit :p

Here's some gripes of mine:

NSFW:
Tyrion actually does well in the battle and I don't like that it wasn't portrayed that way in the show. Knocked out before battle? Come on! Way to cheapen the moment. Tyrion may be a dwarf but he kicks asses when he needs to.

The battle of whispering woods is one of the most important things that happens because Jaime Lannister is taken and the effects of that are far reaching. I wish they had shown that. Furthermore, I'm not a fan of how it went down in the series (oh surprise, 18k of our troops went the other way). In the books they send out raiding parties and Jaime keeps leading parties to clean them up. Then they trap him and butcher his men and he still nearly gets to Rob to kill him. That would have been a really awesome episode.

Overall it makes me wonder how they'll even attempt book 2 at all..

Yeh I really enjoyed the last episode but those points irked me too. There was so much potential for epic battle scenes there. I suppose budget limitations were the reason behind keeping them off-camera? You don't see many large-scale battles in HBO dramas but I'm sure they could have at least pieced together something akin to the opening battle in Rome? :/

NSFW:
tumblr_lmlsdvDn401qdovgno1_500.png

I had a massive hearty laugh at that kenickie! I swear I went through the exact same progression of facial expressions when reading the first book. =D

I think it's the budget restraints, I imagine they've already dropped a ton of money in costumes/sets/props. I'm not too bothered mostly, big battle scenes are fun, but almost everything that makes the books so great happens on a smaller scale

Although there's a certain battle in book 2 I really hope they manage to pull off, since it's pretty essential to Tyrion's development.

Turns out, Sean Bean's hero image is the real deal.

The Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings tough guy reportedly came to the aid of his famous glamour model companion after a fellow pub reveler made some untoward comments on her topless posing past. While Bean's white knighthood was obviously admirable, it also proved rather dangerous, as a melee ensued and the actor was ultimately stabbed outside the London pub.

So what, exactly, happened? And just how is Bean doing now?

According to the Daily Mail, the incident kicked off when the 52-year-old Bean and 22-year-old Playboy hottie April Summers (real name Nadia Foster) went outside Camden's Hill Bar and Brasserie to smoke. A passerby spotted the duo (or at least one half of the duo) and began making lewd comments, leading Bean to confront the big talker.

All was seemingly well until the stranger returned later on, at which point a scuffle broke out. Bean's rep tells E News that the star was apparently punched in the face, causing a bruise over his eye, and stabbed in the arm with broken glass (not, as some initial reports claimed, with a knife). Despite his wounds, Bean refused any medical attention and opted not to go to a hospital.

Source