• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure

Damn girl you killed that shit yo. Just close the thread cuz the mufuckin truth has been spoken haha anything I was goin to say she said and more so besides cosignin for her I ain't even goin to speak on it

Who do you think is qualified to decide wat a necessity is for people gettin welfare? If we dont want em buyin drugs, then they cant buy cigarettes or alcohol neither, that should go without sayin. And are they gonna send inspectors to their house to check and make sure they aint got cable, and that if they do got a TV it aint new? Search the house for computers and microwaves? Make sure that they aint got the internet? And how bout food? We gonna make sure they dont buy soda and candy and cookies and shit, and only buy the most basic-ass food, cuz ice-cream aint a necessity and "I dont want my tax dollars going towards satisfying the sweet tooths of people on welfare!" ? Maybe when it comes to food, they can only buy store-brand shit, cuz why should us tax payers be putin out the extra dough for the brand name shit when its all food inside the box? And better only let them buy store-brand toilet paper--that cushiony quilted soft fluffy shit aint a necessity. the goal is to wipe your ass, not pamper it. How about just have a list of "approved purchases" that you ONLY allowed to spend your welfare money on. And who decides which things are necessities? Who is the Great Decider, the one who KNOWS, for sure, EXACTLY wat each person NEEDS, and wat is only a WANT? Should people be allowed to have air conditioning? thats kind of a luxury, right? I mean you dont NEED that--shit just use a fan. But , you know, now that I think of it, is a fan even a necessity?Really thats a comfort thing, you dont need it to survive, so no fans allowed neither. And in the winter, should we have auditors go around checkin peoples thermostat and make sure they dont put the heat too high?

Khadijah, I was lol while reading this. You described Cuba almost exactly (except we didn't really have winters).

I always enjoy reading Kadijahs/lacey's posts. Clever, and sometimes (like now) gets me to think about things in a different perspective.

My tax dollars support a lot of things I don't agree with, like war. And the War on Drugs. And corporate bailouts. And...

I don't know anyone who DOES believe tax dollars should be used to buy drugs, just like no one actually believes abortion is an acceptable form of birth control. It's a red herring, a way to spin the issue to make opponents appear immoral. For another take on the issue, see here.

does this apply to all those billion dollar bailouts too? did Rick Scott and all the other republicans who rip on "welfare queens" also want to have the chairmembers of AIG drug tested after they received hundreds of millions of our tax dollars?

My tax dollars support a lot of things I don't agree with, like war. And the War on Drugs. And corporate bailouts. And...

Now that I think about it, except for public schools and firefighters I can't really say I agree with anything my tax dollars get spent on. Not that I really care anyways, because democracy is just mob rule and my opinion is an insignificant drop in a bucket.

the worst part about this law is how removed from any sense of human empathy it is. many poor people can't afford a doctor and insurance, so if they are in severe debilitating pain, they have to acquire it on the black market. then, they get caught and are sentenced as "drug addicts."

i wonder what % of the illicit drug using population would be prescribed something like their drug of choice if they had money. further increase that % if we get rid of unnecessary taboos (e.g. we don't even prescribe diamorphine/heroin in the U.S., obviously not for any medical reason, but because of the *word* HEROIN)

the middle class, the lower class, journalists and the media... we've all turned our collective eyes away from the suffering and humanity of HUGE swathes of our population, and we've even constructed our cities and highways so that we see as little of the problem as possible.

only thing they really need to test for is cocaine. Come the first of the month, the plumes of crack vapor rising from American cities are visible from deep space...

So, we should have alcohol testing too then? And tobacco testing? You better support that shit too, cuz neither one of them is a necessity that helps people "gget back on their feet." And for sure, doin shit like goin to the movies is far from 'necessary', so we better check people at the door for their welfare ID card and if they got one, turn em away. sorry yo! No welfare money accepted here!

Who do you think is qualified to decide wat a necessity is for people gettin welfare? If we dont want em buyin drugs, then they cant buy cigarettes or alcohol neither, that should go without sayin. And are they gonna send inspectors to their house to check and make sure they aint got cable, and that if they do got a TV it aint new? Search the house for computers and microwaves? Make sure that they aint got the internet?

And how bout food? We gonna make sure they dont buy soda and candy and cookies and shit, and only buy the most basic-ass food, cuz ice-cream aint a necessity and "I dont want my tax dollars going towards satisfying the sweet tooths of people on welfare!" ? 8( Maybe when it comes to food, they can only buy store-brand shit, cuz why should us tax payers be putin out the extra dough for the brand name shit when its all food inside the box? And better only let them buy store-brand toilet paper--that cushiony quilted soft fluffy shit aint a necessity. the goal is to wipe your ass, not pamper it.

How about just have a list of "approved purchases" that you ONLY allowed to spend your welfare money on. And who decides which things are necessities? Who is the Great Decider, the one who KNOWS, for sure, EXACTLY wat each person NEEDS, and wat is only a WANT?

Should people be allowed to have air conditioning? thats kind of a luxury, right? I mean you dont NEED that--shit just use a fan. But , you know, now that I think of it, is a fan even a necessity?Really thats a comfort thing, you dont need it to survive, so no fans allowed neither.

And in the winter, should we have auditors go around checkin peoples thermostat and make sure they dont put the heat too high?

"I pay tax money into welfare, my money is goin towards these folks checks, that means I get a say in how they spend it! Its bad enough already that im FORCED to give to the poor, god knows Id never do it if it wasnt mandatory removed from my paycheck in taxes, but now they get to go out and spend that money on things to make them HAPPY!?!? Fuck that! without me they wouldnt HAVE that money, so I better get to decide how they spend it!":|

This attitude is the same one that the fuckin people who aint never been in the situation that they need welfare always say time after time. Its so damn easy to preach that shit when it dont apply to you.

I got a secret for you yo--Welfare DONT "help you get back on your feet." You dont barely get shit for welfare. Its impossible to survive and really get by on it and not have to be scrappin and worryin and not knowin how you gonna get by. You know how much a single person gettin welfare in NJ will get per month (At least last time I applied in 2010 this was the payment you got per month)-- $220 dollars a month. Yea, you really "get by" on that. Then you get about 100 dollars per month in foodstamps. (once again im talkin about a single person)

Quit actin like people on welfare livin it up. The truth is that you dont barely get shit. it aint enough to live on, and I dont give 2 fucks wat the fuck somebody spend that money on cuz truth is, whether they put it to "necessities" (decided by the Grand Duke Of All Knowing Who Decides For People Wat They Need) or to gettin high on the weekend, that money still aint gonna get em ahead in life. They get the money either way. And even if family A gets off welfare and spend it on the "right" according to you things, guess wat? that aint less money that you pay in your taxes, cuz family B is gonna move right into that place

No matter WAT welfare benefits go towards whether its weed or newports or food or WTFever, you are STILL GONNA BE PAYIN THE SAME AMOUNT ....So who gives a fuck? Why does it matter SO MUCH to you how they spend the money? Why do people get so riled up over this shit? Do you really begrudge them that much? Does it really bother you so much that somebody livin a mostly miserable live in poverty might get high once in a while and enjoy themself just like YOU do? Or is that somethin that only you deserve?

This is the same old same old shit that the well-off people always gotta fuckin do when it comes to poor folks. They gotta fuckin attach strings to everything. They gotta treat em like fuckin lower-class, dumb, untrustworthy less-than-people. They cant just let em have their little-ass scrap of money every 2 weeks--they gotta CONTROL WAT IT GETS SPEND ON, too. They cant just say ok, heres your laughable amount of money that you suppose to survive on, get outta my sight. They gotta say heres the money, and I dont trust you to spend it on the things that you think you need. I dont trust you to make decisions for yourself . *I* know wats best for you, you obviously dont, so I gotta tell you wat you can spend it on, too. i dont think you are capable of doin the right thing. you aint worthy to control your own life.

Its the same attitude that the slave owners had towards their slaves when they would say shit like "really, they are so much better off here with us. We clothe them, feed them, and give them work to keep them busy. On their own, lord knows theyd never survive--theyre just not mentally capable of taking care of themselves! honestly, were doing them a FAVOR!" :|

Its just another way that the people on top use to control and shit on poor folks, aint nothin new.

Oh, and how about unemployment too? Should we ALSO drug test everybody who gets unemployment, to make sure that THEY aint spending their "state-paid" money on drugs neither?

and dont forget, just becuz you ON welfare, just becuz you test positive for drugs dont mean you spend your WELFARE money on those drugs. Maybe you got a birthday card with 10 bucks in it. Maybe your grandma slipped you a couple bucks cuz she knew you strugglin. Maybe wat the fuck ever.

Are you gonna say "well, if you so poor that you need welfare, and you get a extra ten bucks, you shouldnt be using THAT to pay for drugs neither!" So, now you get to tell people how to spend their own personal not-from-the-state-or-taxes money too, just becuz they poor and you know wats best for them?

Maybe your girl came over with a blunt and asked if you wanna take a few hits, and you didnt even PAY for the shit. You still cant get welfare then, cuz you dirty for some free weed that you didnt use no welfare money to pay for? Or is it that as long as you dont spend the WELFARE money on drugs, you still get to collect? and how do the authorities TELL where the money to buy those drugs that you tested dirty for came from?

Obviously, it aint really about the "dont spend welfare money on drugs" issue, becuz anybody dirty for any drugs gets cut, regardless of whose money paid for the drugs or if they were free. How can anybody look at ths shit and not see right thru it and realize that it aint about drugs and its just about controlling the poor, and a way to cut the welfare rolls without havin to feel guilty about it, cuz those peopel who got cut "deserved" it. :|

This shit aint fair, in the slightest type of way. There is so many holes in this shit you can see right thru it, and its sad that some of yall are fallin for it like its some kind of smart, helpful thing instead of bein just another shady way to fuck over poor folks and smile while they do it.

this is the worst argument ever. for one, learn to spell and i might take you seriously. another thing, movies, air conditioning, light bills, none of that shit kills you or tears families apart. dont even give me that left wing shit man. and youre a mod? yes alcohol and tobacco shouldnt be legal, no doubt. but there is no use crying over spilt milk. if i wanted my tax dollars to be spent on drugs, i would be a fucking crack head. i would even go so far as to say drug test for food stamps, because addicts sell their food stamps for drug money. this is a damn great idea, even if the real reason is to cut back funding. save welfare for the people who actually use it, rather than wasting it on drugs. take that left wing, nut job theory of yours elsewhere. it wont hold up. come up with something better and try again. so its fine when you have to piss in a cup to get a job, but when people want to use money taken out of my check that i had to earn by pissing clean and use it for drugs of their own, oh its unconstitutional. fuck that. that money came out of my check, so you're god damned right i have a say in it. welfare is for families who need it to help their family out, not for addicts to get free drugs. plain and fucking simple. liberals such as yourself piss me off, even more so when they cant justify their point of view or even educate themselves enough to fucking spell.

First of all the grammar card is overplayed and doesn't change the fact that he brings up a reasonable point.

Secondly, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but you don't have a say on where your tax money is spent. You can circuitously affect it based on who you elect, but in the end, most government programs will go on regardless of who attacks them, what party goes after them, et al...
They money did come out of your check, but it also came out of millions and millions of others' checks. I understand that it pisses you off that you have to take a urine test for your job, but the truth is, you don't really have to, you could just not work, or chose a different job, or even refuse to pay taxes since they would all accomplish your goal.

You yourself present an argument based solely on assumption, conjecture, and an over-simplification of the facts about this case.

Him being a liberal has nothing to do with his justifications for it, nor his spelling, and I am fairly certain you are the one who called him the "liberal."

this is the worst argument ever. for one, learn to spell and i might take you seriously. another thing, movies, air conditioning, light bills, none of that shit kills you or tears families apart. dont even give me that left wing shit man. and youre a mod? yes alcohol and tobacco shouldnt be legal, no doubt. but there is no use crying over spilt milk. if i wanted my tax dollars to be spent on drugs, i would be a fucking crack head. i would even go so far as to say drug test for food stamps, because addicts sell their food stamps for drug money. this is a damn great idea, even if the real reason is to cut back funding. save welfare for the people who actually use it, rather than wasting it on drugs. take that left wing, nut job theory of yours elsewhere. it wont hold up. come up with something better and try again. so its fine when you have to piss in a cup to get a job, but when people want to use money taken out of my check that i had to earn by pissing clean and use it for drugs of their own, oh its unconstitutional. fuck that. that money came out of my check, so you're god damned right i have a say in it. welfare is for families who need it to help their family out, not for addicts to get free drugs. plain and fucking simple. liberals such as yourself piss me off, even more so when they cant justify their point of view or even educate themselves enough to fucking spell.

why do you think they're all addicts? what about the person who shares a gram of weed with a friend on the weekend? and no its not fine to piss in a cup to get a job.

why do you think they're all addicts? what about the person who shares a gram of weed with a friend on the weekend? and no its not fine to piss in a cup to get a job.

As far as the legality of weed, of course it should be legal. But that's not the issue here. I have no problem with someone smoking weed. On their own dime not my tax paying dollars that are supposed to be being spent on improving their families life. You people are looking at it from the wrong angle. I'm not denying the use of weed, just the misuse of tax dollars. There isn't any drug I would condone being bought with welfare money. Or alcohol or tobacco. If you have the money to afford that, either you are getting too much welfare, you aren't using your welfare budget correctly, or don't actually need welfare as bad as you claim to. There is no excuse for it.

what about caffeine? better not let poor people drink coffee as its a drug bought with your tax dollars

the worst part about this law is how removed from any sense of human empathy it is. many poor people can't afford a doctor and insurance, so if they are in severe debilitating pain, they have to acquire it on the black market. then, they get caught and are sentenced as "drug addicts."

Welfare includes full medical insurance - it's called Medicaid

Pnut. Would you condone testing for alcohol and tobacco use as well?

I think pnut is one of those republicans who doesn't give a shit about huge corporate chairmen taking million dollar lavish vacations with the money they get from tax payer bailouts, but gets angry over a poor person getting $250 a month who might spend $20 of that on drugs

Man, I didnt get to read thru the whole replies yet but I just gotta say this.

This shit aint even ABOUT drugs, really. Id bet everything I got that the REAL purpose of all this shit is to discourage people from applyin for welfare. You put those restrictions on it, BOOM, there goes a chunk of people off the welfare rolls that you aint gotta pay for no more.

Its like the fucking dirty shit the bush campaigners did back in 2000, goin around in all the ghetto neighborhoods and passin out flyers that said if you ever been arrested, if you got any warrants, if you didnt pay your electric bill, if you got any outstanding parking tickets, you cant vote. Bcuz they knew those people would vote democrat and against bush.

They dont really give a fuck about people spendin money on drugs. I suspect most the time that they HAPPY to see poor folks wastin they money away on drugs and liquor and cigs and shit cuz it KEEPS them poor, it KEEPS em in the same spot so they cant get ahead and rise up and actually change shit in this country.

Na, dont even let em fool you for one second yall, this is just a low-down, shady, dirty plot to try and keep people off welfare, to scare em away. They kill 2 birds with one stone--they get to look like the GOOD GUYS, ("Oh, we care about these people! We just want the best for them, we dont want them using drugs, its really becuz we know wats best for them!") while doin shit that would normally make em look like BAD GUYS. When politicians wanna cut welfare and knock a bunch of people on their asses, people say "Yo, thats fucked up, you cant do that to people, they need the help."

But do it under the disguise of "FIGHTING DRUGS" and people all for that shit. Same results, but now the public happy and thinks you did somethin great, and even people here on BL are fallin for that shit.

You may be drug users, but since you aint poor, I guess its cool.

You could honestly say that if you was on welfare you wouldnt spend 5 bucks on a nick once a week so you could puff a L and forget about the shittiness of your situation for a couple hours? and you believe that you would DESERVE to get your money, your lifeline, the only way you can survive, cut off becuz of that?

Shits so easy to say when you aint poor, so many of yall act so open minded when it comes to drugs but then when some shit like this comes up, suddenly you sound just like those upper middle class white republicans that make and enforce the drug laws that you constantly talkin about "fuck them and their draconian drug laws!" but when it comes to welfare, poverty, and shit like that, you right in bed with em.

This...

Welfare includes full medical insurance - it's called Medicaid
medicaid must be a really fucking leaky bandaid, then, when we have 45,000 deaths per year due to insufficient medical coverage.

as you can see, your eyes have also been turned away from the suffering as well. and we'll try to justify ourselves, but we as a nation have no excuse to let any citizen die due to lack of money.

medicaid must be a really fucking leaky bandaid, then, when we have 45,000 deaths per year due to insufficient medical coverage.

as you can see, your eyes have also been turned away from the suffering as well. and we'll try to justify ourselves, but we as a nation have no excuse to let any citizen die due to lack of money.

I agree with you in principle but not in your analysis of the situation. The fact of the matter is if you are poor, including if you are a recent immigrant, you are eligible for Medicaid which covers all doctors’ bills and prescriptions in full.

If you are working class, or increasingly formerly middle class, and can’t afford your premiums, or if you have a little savings, or if you have a preexisting condition, or if you worked all your life and now can’t find a job, or if you are a senior who can’t afford supplemental insurance to your Medicare, there is no assistance available to you.

I think these people , who you are somehow blaming for something in your earlier post while defending illegal drug users, are the real victims of today's society.

Last edited: