• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film: Avatar

Rate this movie!

• Total voters
Sorry to any American Indians, but this land is WAY too big for a few hundred thousand people to keep for another millenium.
did you think about counting american indians before and after the white guys arrived?

It's weird, everybody complaining about the "anti-human" emotions in this movie is also angry about all the anti-military, anti-colonization, anti-take-what-you-want-attitude and pro-nature themes. One would think that someone pro-human wouldn't exactly choose those themes as great examples of human behaviour.
people just put on the self-defense mode as soon as anything, as true as it may be, is said which may put them in the place of the bad guys

whatever you may say, with the majority of people, you'll hear "but" within one second of the end of your argument (one second means way before having the time to consider it) and an opposition in the next 2-3 following seconds

people don't want to put their behaviour in question
they'd rather blindly contradict

saw twice just for the technology alone, cant wait for the sequel. i want to see it in mushroom land pandora would be some nice eye candy. those night scenes are amazing

has anyone said they weren't that impressed with the film's plot yet were blown away by the 3D/CGI?

yea...I don't regret the $20 ticket though. very entertaining. without the 3D shit tho, mediocre @ best.

I loved it. Sure the plot was average, and has been done before - but as a whole i thought the movie was fantastic. I saw it in 3D.

just saw it again in IMAX. it was unreal. I felt that the 3D was perfectly dialed in on the regular screen, but had still never seen anything like it. On IMAX it was flawless. absolutely incredible experience.

I give it a 2.5, I rounded down to 2 for the poll. I saw it in IMAX tonight. It was overrated and mediocre at best. At least I didn't pay for my ticket, I only went to spend time with my family. I focus much more on the plot and good directing of a movie than flashy CGI, in fact I feel that just focusing on effects ruins movies. I'd never been to a 3D movie though, the 3D was pretty interesting.

Saw it today . . . can see a sequel in the future. (Gave it 4-stars, rounded up from 3.5.) The animals were cute.

Yea, I gave it 2 stars, but that was based mostly off the plot...and I was sick as fuck from the nachos, and not stoned at all...and in opiate withdrawals... Lol, wtf did I even vote, let alone go see it that day? I'd definately see it again in the theater..if someone else paid for it, and I was stoned and didn't have something better to do like scratch my ass.

Didn't like it at all. Saw it 3D not Imax, wasn't overtly impressed with visuals. Think I'm being generous with 2 stars - plot was predictable, characters were laughably underdeveloped (couldn't give a shit about them) and am I the only one who wanted the humans to win?
Damn it, I am human, I don't care about the Na'vi!

Though I greatly enjoyed Avatar, I'm not at all surprised that it was passed over--it rescued the Oscars from becoming just another People's Choice Awards, an accusation leveled at it with sweeps like Titanic and Gladiator.

...wasn't overtly impressed with visuals.
so you were impressed with the visuals, you just kept the fact that you were impressed to yourself? :)

hmm. i'm going to guess that you meant to use another word than 'overtly'. as such, what was it about the visuals that did not impress you. i only ask because there's something of a consensus that, while the plot was predictable and plodding and the script was just downright dismal, the visuals in the movie were breathtaking and, even if one hated the movie, the visuals were, at least, worthy of some respect.

care to elaborate?

alasdair

so you were impressed with the visuals, you just kept the fact that you were impressed to yourself? :)

hmm. i'm going to guess that you meant to use another word than 'overtly'. as such, what was it about the visuals that did not impress you. i only ask because there's something of a consensus that, while the plot was predictable and plodding and the script was just downright dismal, the visuals in the movie were breathtaking and, even if one hated the movie, the visuals were, at least, worthy of some respect.

care to elaborate?

alasdair

haha I see my mistake there, it was a typo - meant to put "overly" not "overtly" - as in they were passable but I didn't leap out of my seat. I just wasn't that taken in by them. The 3D didn't really massively impress me.

I'm so glad this didn't win Best Picture of the Year. :p

really? I thought it totally deserved it. The Hurt Locker was great, but in terms of sheer entertainment value, Avatar is simply in a league of its own. There was just so much about that movie that I loved. I also feel that the whole "the plot sucked" thing is just a band wagon that people have sort of hopped onto. Sure, the plot wasn't ground breaking. but with many sci-fi movies, I find that you almost have to find a way look past the plot completely to enjoy the movie. I did not find that was the case with Avatar at all. There was some interesting social commentary, the characters developed nicely, the dialogue was believable, and the alien chick was super smoking.

really? I thought it totally deserved it. The Hurt Locker was great, but in terms of sheer entertainment value, Avatar is simply in a league of its own. There was just so much about that movie that I loved. I also feel that the whole "the plot sucked" thing is just a band wagon that people have sort of hopped onto. Sure, the plot wasn't ground breaking. but with many sci-fi movies, I find that you almost have to find a way look past the plot completely to enjoy the movie. I did not find that was the case with Avatar at all. There was some interesting social commentary, the characters developed nicely, the dialogue was believable, and the alien chick was super smoking.

The plot was shit, the characters were uninteresting if not unlikeable, the story was predictable, it was really poor.
If you want that from your films - sadly it seems the majority do - then whatever...