• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film: Avatar

Rate this movie!

• Total voters
^ Yeah, usually kids movies aren't good enough to win the Academy Award for Best Picture of the Year. It may be a bias but I really don't think it was the reason it didn't win the award at the Oscars.

Sure, the plot wasn't ground breaking. but with many sci-fi movies, I find that you almost have to find a way look past the plot completely to enjoy the movie.

Not the good ones: Blade Runner, 2001, Alien, Brail, Akira, Total Recall etc. Which ones are you talking about?

I did not find that was the case with Avatar at all.

Did we watch the same movie?

There was some interesting social commentary, the characters developed nicely, the dialogue was believable, and the alien chick was super smoking.

Social commentary? Like how we destroy Native land for our own personal gain? Like many have stated it has been done *to death*. How Westernized ideas of 'domination' are so indoctrinated in our culture that it doesn't seem so bad (though a lot of people already think that...). That we're not connected with nature? That Westernized populations consistently come to the conclusion of 'otherness': if you're not doing it like us you're savage. I mean, these veins are commentary are so cliche. I wish he would have been a little more original. The dialogue was, IMO, terrribbblllee. I had to stop myself from laughing at it multiple times. And I didn't think the alien chick was 'super smoking'. She was weird looking. She used her hair to have sex and used it to control her ridiculous looking animal.

Sorry, we're on completely different sides of the fence.

i have no reason to defend the movie. I liked it for what it was. you are holding to the wrong standard. it's like saying the tour de france is stupid because formula 1 cars go way faster.

...they were passable but I didn't leap out of my seat.
can you give me an example of a movie with visuals which did make you leap out of your seat (to try to get a sense of your scale)?

alasdair

amorroark: I never said the plot was groundbreaking. in fact, I think my exact words were "the plot wasn't groundbreaking."

Do I wish they had done avatar based on Phillip K Dick novel? sure I do. they didn't. but I am not going to let that ruin what was I feel was an achievement that has set the bar for special effects in movies for what I'm sure will be years to come. I don't think any of the movies you listed even come close to avatar in terms of changing the face of cinema. which you MUST admit, avatar certainly did.

EFC18: you know those glasses they gave you at the entrance? you were supposed to wear them during the movie.

^^

Your point is valid, but a film should not win an Oscar for best film because of its special effects. It should win a Oscar for best Visual Effects - which Avatar did win.

All in all I am very happy that Avatar didn't win best film, because it wasn't a great film. It had stunning visual effects, and won for that. The Hurt Locker was a fantastic film. It wasn't a spectacular extravaganza, and is definitely not really up there for best films of all time, but what it did was tick all the boxes well: great acting, great editing, great direction, great production. Everything was great, however, everything was not "oh my god how freakin amazing was that" in my opinion though :)

So, I'm happy with the result. A great film won the Oscar for best film. A film with fantastically awesome visual effects won the Oscar for best Visual Effects. That my friends, is synergy ;)=D

really? I thought it totally deserved it. The Hurt Locker was great, but in terms of sheer entertainment value, Avatar is simply in a league of its own. There was just so much about that movie that I loved. I also feel that the whole "the plot sucked" thing is just a band wagon that people have sort of hopped onto. Sure, the plot wasn't ground breaking. but with many sci-fi movies, I find that you almost have to find a way look past the plot completely to enjoy the movie. I did not find that was the case with Avatar at all. There was some interesting social commentary, the characters developed nicely, the dialogue was believable, and the alien chick was super smoking.

I think character developement in the sargent/old bad guy could have been better. I mean this guy was so one dimensional. so "destroy destroy", more of an inner struggle with him could have added more depth to the emotions in the film. just a thought

^^

Your point is valid, but a film should not win an Oscar for best film because of its special effects. It should win a Oscar for best Visual Effects - which Avatar did win.

All in all I am very happy that Avatar didn't win best film, because it wasn't a great film. It had stunning visual effects, and won for that. The Hurt Locker was a fantastic film. It wasn't a spectacular extravaganza, and is definitely not really up there for best films of all time, but what it did was tick all the boxes well: great acting, great editing, great direction, great production. Everything was great, however, everything was not "oh my god how freakin amazing was that" in my opinion though :)

So, I'm happy with the result. A great film won the Oscar for best film. A film with fantastically awesome visual effects won the Oscar for best Visual Effects. That my friends, is synergy ;)=D

I don't disagree with any of this, except insofar as I thought that the effects alone in avatar surpassed all the great things in the hurt locker put together. even though the hurt locker ticked all the boxes (which it certainly did), I thought that the check mark that avatar got in the effects department outweighed them all

2001 didn't change the face of cinema? Blade Runner didn't change the boundaries of cinema possibilities? I disagree completely. A lot of people would say Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace helped change the technological developments & turned a page, so to speak. That said, nobody was seriously vying for it to win Best Picture of the Year. The two aren't interchangeable IMO.

shallow pile of shite

i went to see this with my cousins family, and after ten minutes he looks round at me and says "i dont like this film". from there we laughed the whole way through it.

the cheesy dialogue- "its sad" (upon killing a beast), "i have to take samples (sigourney weaver says this at least three times), etc.

the wierd genital that comes out the back of thier ponytail " dont play with it or it will fall off", they use this to "communicate with other animals "," to become one". anyway he used this to rape the horse type animals in the ear, then later on there is another scene in which he aggressively rapes a terodactyl in the ear. either way james cameron needs to stop encouraging bestiality as its not cool to put your cock in a horses ear.

the ridiculous sounds they make when they are traumatised- so funny it hurts

all in all it looked amazing and entertained me during the battle sequence but during the rest of the film it was like laughing at a bad movie on the tv. anyway my aunty paid and it was a good bonding experience as we all realised that we have good taste.

also that night i went out and was having a converstaion with someone about the ludicrous dialogue, his response "you need to see it in 3D" . well i did and it was still shit dialogue!

dahoy! i guess you can say that movie is majorly avatarded

Last edited:
I saw this tonight
The Imagery and visual effects were by far the worst thing, but also a bad thing, as the general storyline wasn't fantastic, but it was solid, albeit not exactly original.
I actually found the alien chick half hot >8^???, the characters weren't that well developed, but It was a good flick.
I found it ironic how the subtle poking at Imperialism and even Capitalism to be hillarious and ironic, seeing as HOLLYWOOD made the thing possible.
Anywhos, I'd give it 3.5/-4 stars out of 5.

you stay up all night writing that one?

yeah it took me at least a night sleeping on it. its just a creepy pile of shit

equine ear rape bonanaza, james cameron should be avatard and feathered:)

this movie ecourages defacation- "go on avaturd!"

3d was awesome, but the plot was so 1992. felt like Fern Gully had a baby with Dances With Wolves

This film was "ok" at best and when it is released on DVD, everyone that thought/thinks it's the best movie ever created that saw it in the theaters are all going to be sitting there going, "K where's the 3D button?...where's the GIANT screen and 50,000 dollar speakers?"...

Avatar is more of an experience than a movie. It'd be cool if they could make it somehow interactive, like the audience votes together on A,B,C,D decidions on what the main character(s) should/n't do, and from a majority vote from some clicker on your seat the movie runs.

Pfffftt, like playing a video game with photo realistic graphics with a one button control system.