• EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Favourite Albums

Future Sound of LOndon / Anything by them
Andy Weatherall and The Sabbres of Paradise/ Anything
Bomb The Bass , Remixes
Warren Haynes
Steve Earle
Public Enemy / It takes a nation of Millions to hold us back

'What the World is Waiting For' was a double A-Side with 'Fool's Gold', it wasn't on either of the albums (Fool's Gold was on the US release of The Stone Roses).

Maybe Spade is confusing "Second Coming" with "Turns Into Stone" - the singles and B-sides compilation, which "What The World Is Waiting For" is on.

My new favourite album. <3

Tragic Mulatto - Chartreuse Toulouse
tm.jpg

Arcade Fire - Funeral. Totally amazing album
Glasvegas - Glasvegas

Michael Gira was a troubled man. Hardly a surprise, given the fact he had drug problems by the age of thirteen, was shunted between his alcoholic mother and his distant father, wandered across Europe until he ended up in an Israeli prison at the age of fifteen and eventually found his niche in music, making hugely influential records which nevertheless sold very little; so little in fact that he had to keep the day job for most of his music career.

Given the above, you can forgive the fact that Swans aren't exactly disco-period Bee-Gees and are in fact a very 'dark' band, especially on their early releases.

Over time, however, they would incorporate such seemingly improbable aspects as acoustic instruments, melody, samples and one of the most distinctive female voices of the time and evolve into something different entirely. The shout was replaced by a croon and the chug was replaced with a swoon, reflecting the dual nature (violent / beautiful) of the creature that inspired their name in the first place.

So here are three (yes, three - and it took me a while to get down to that) examples of their recorded output from across their first spell of activity (they reformed a couple of years ago, though without key-member and aforementioned womanly-voiced Jarboe).

Cop / Young God
Swans-Cop--Young-God-479726.jpg

Strictly a compilation, but gives a good idea of Swans at their most crushing and unforgiving. Turn it up and never get a funny look from your neighbours again.

Children of God
swans+children+of+god.jpg

In comes Jarboe, with melody aplenty to soften the brutality, but it's still there in spades. As in real garden implements. Which will hit you hard. In the face. There's added instrumentation and it sometimes falls close to the accursed territory marked 'goth', yet far enough away for me to listen without cringing and thinking of snakebite and black. The sound of a transition, and an interesting one at that.

Love Of Life

Love%2Bof%2Blife_cover.jpg

What's that? A Swans record with a vaguely positive title?

Yep, they've fully incorporated the stuff they were experimenting with on my previous choice, and Michael now croons rather than screaming his lungs out, though it's still kind of scary in a good way. There are actual love songs on this record, and I don't mean bitter ones but ones you could play to your partner (providing your partner has a taste for classic alternative rock) without them trying to get you sectioned. For the record I could easily exchange this for The Burning World (even more listener-friendly) but this one just edges it because of 'Her', which is probably the most affecting thing they would commit to vinyl, and because it's more traditionally 'psychedelic'. You can smoke weed with this and not feel like a demon is in the room. I promise...

Again, as with Felt this is arbitrary to some extent - ask me tomorrow. Or don't.

Adam & the ants - prince charming

U2 - october & war

SLF - inflammable material

RHCP - californication
by the way

Stone roses - the stone roses

Foo fighters - in your honour

Sasha & Digweed - northern expourse

have a few more will post tomorrow.

Pulp / Babies EP
Happy Mondays - U.S Singles
N.W.A Staight outta Compton
Masta Ace - Port authority

I just got joy divisions 2 albums as ive become obsessed with them after watching 24 hour party people and control, they're both brilliant. (later stuff is better though)

i can't help but ask.... have you listened to any of the recommendations on this thread. and in particular, have you seen the way of the core?

if that makes no sense, i'm referring to my own selections and the fact they're awesome though few understand.

I've more been reminded of lots of stuff I'd forgotten about.

My connection at the moment is nonsense. Cant even youtube properly so I'm pretty much stuck with stuff I have.

Which is great cos I have mountains of music I love. But I cant listen to anything new, and the fact that I'm a musician just makes that painful :(

A new love of mine. <3

Shannon Wright - Over The Sun

Over_The_Sun-Shannon_Wright_480.jpg

The track that made me hunt high and low to download the album: With Closed Eyes

Her guitar work is simply awesome. :)

13th Floor Elevators - Easter Everywhere

You cant really have fav there are too many but of you have never listened to this 1967 classic I strongly advise you to do so especially if your having an evening in with Lucy;)
I'm a bit of an obsessive when it comes to this band so I'll try not to go on ...but without them there probably would have been no Janis Joplin and the lead singer, Roky Erickson is a true legend.

Bumpity.

Recent addition to my current favourites collection...

5054429134117_T3_Image.jpg

Helena Hauff - Qualm

And this would be a sample track thereof.

What are some of your faves old or new? Always interesting to discover what pleases others - especially if it adds new favourites to my own collection :D

I'll leave out the obvious (Sgt. Pepper, Dark Side of the Moon, etc.) and try to list a few more obscure faves of mine...

Keane - Under the Iron Sea
The Churchills - The Odds of Winning
Babyshambles - Down in Albion
Barenaked Ladies - Are Me
Clannad - Anam
Our Lady Peace - Spiritual Machines
Elliott Smith - From a Basement on the Hill
Muse - Absolution
Muse - Black Holes and Revelations
AFI - December Underground
My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade
They Might Be Giants - Mink Car