View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines Extracting psilocin from mushrooms

Fertile

Bluelighter
I am a huge fan of psilocin and on the one occasion that I got to try pure psilocin benzoate, the onset was much faster and the high was stronger but duration was somewhat less.

I'm interested to know if anyone has successfully extracted psilocin from mushrooms. I read that only 1% of mushrooms is psilocin and so presume that it would have to be carried out on a large scale to minimize mechanical losses. I see clinically that 15-30mg of psilocin seems to be the usual dose range.

I appreciate the fact that it's shorter duration means that one can take a dose at say 2PM and then still expect to get to sleep in the evening whereas with LSD it seems to take 18 hours for the results to fully subside and lack of sleep is very bad for my epilepsy and some other medical issues.

Sadly it's not a simple chemical to make but I've tried a number of homologues and almost all of them were inferior by far. 5MeO-DMT made me feel like an elephant had sat on me (and 5MeO AMT was just AWFUL) and the various different N-substitutions did not produce a better product. In fact, the ONLY homologue that was significantly better was DPT and (R)AMT - the latter being indistinguishable from MDMA. (S)AMT is like psilocin on steroids so resolution of the isomers is a very important step. I did try a low dose of AET but I'm aware of it's MAOI activity so I was careful. It doesn't need to be resolved as the extra methyl means it will not fit into the 5HT2a receptor.

If you live in a nation that only controls RCs one by one, I can attest to the fact that 7,N,N-TMT (7-methyl DMT) is identical to DMT and 7-AMT is identical to AMT.

Lastly, I suggest people try overlaying 2CB (or similar) with 5-MeO DMT. You will notice that the 2-MeO overlays the N of the indole while the 5-MeO overlays the 5-MeO of 5MeO-DMT. That is why two seemingly different compounds bind in such a similar manner. I THINK people have tried substituting the 6 position of indole-based psychoactives but it didn't work.

But if you live in a nation where AMT is still legal, it is well worth resolving the 2 isomers One of them is a legal MDMA alternative (and I mean it - it's vastly better than that 5/6 APB stuff.

Isn't it fairly easy to convert psilocybin to psilocin?

I've always been under the impression that simply putting psilocybin in citric acid converts it to psilocin (some of it at least). "Lemon tek". It certainly causes it to hit you a lot faster, peak harder and the come down is faster which I assumed was due to the conversion and skipping in vivo metabolism from psilocybin to psilocin.

I could be completely wrong and maybe the acid just helps absorb the mushrooms faster.

Maybe irrelevant if you are seeking to get truly pure psilocin.

Last edited:
Get loadsa mushrooms, pour 90 degree water and not any hotter on it then consume said tea?

Totally not the same as eating them but at least I ain't puking my stomach out on the tea.

4-ho-met ain't the same as you probably know.

With truffles mushrooms I feel refreshed after only even getting a few hours sleep. 4-ho-met is quite sedative and exhausting the next day.

Not that I know of, but I reckon it had to be done at some point to have synthed psilocin right? Idk I'm not a chemistry guy

Get loadsa mushrooms, pour 90 degree water and not any hotter on it then consume said tea?

Totally not the same as eating them but at least I ain't puking my stomach out on the tea.

4-ho-met ain't the same as you probably know.

With truffles mushrooms I feel refreshed after only even getting a few hours sleep. 4-ho-met is quite sedative and exhausting the next day.

I don't know what you mean. I've consumed mushrooms whole and done tea, among other ways and tea doesn't reduce nausea for me or anyone I know and I've never heard it be suggested for that purpose. If anything I actually find I get more nausea when I do tea.

Personally I do tea for groups because it's easier to make sure we all get the same dose. That and many people are adverse to eating mushrooms in their raw whole form. For me I prefer fresh and eating them as is. Tea is also used when I only have dry mushrooms.

But yeah all of my cleanest trips have been from eating large healthy fresh adult mushrooms and washing down with water.

I don't know how much of that is to do with eating less actual mushrooms by count? Ie 3 large adults vs 15 small, both being same weight etc. Eating 15 you are taking 15 chances that one has a grub or bit of dirt you aren't gonna react well to? I mean even when you boil you aren't gonna destroy actual toxins(that's why you can't just boil spoilt food and then eat it). I've always wondered if the trips I had quite a sore stomach on was from contamination etc. Always when I had tea though.

I've heard all sorts of stuff though, some guy I knew never ate stems. Only caps. Swore that stems gave you headaches and all this other nonsense. If you got in your head then you'll will it into existence.

I think mixing with lemon juice and orange juice and drink a chunky concoction is the way to go for maximum rocket ship effect. I did a massive dose with that method and was tripping within minutes. Lasted hours longer than a regular trip however, 6-7hr. It did end very abruptly, almost like stopping at a roller coaster ride and getting off. Me and my friend were both like whoa, you feel that? Trip was just gone.

I don't know what you mean. I've consumed mushrooms whole and done tea, among other ways and tea doesn't reduce nausea for me or anyone I know and I've never heard it be suggested for that purpose. If anything I actually find I get more nausea when I do tea.
For me it does reduce nausea and the intensity of the trip is reduced as well. That is with and without lemon juice added.

Unless I do them weekly without fail I'm puking when I eat them. It doesn't reduce the intensity of the trip though.

I've had a perforated stomach 8 months ago.

I had a buddy that every time we tripped we would be on different levels, and I was like dude let’s make tea so we both get the same dose, and he was always against it, then pissed if he was tripping hard and I wasn’t or vice versa, some people you just can’t teach

For me it does reduce nausea and the intensity of the trip is reduced as well. That is with and without lemon juice added.

Unless I do them weekly without fail I'm puking when I eat them. It doesn't reduce the intensity of the trip though.

I've had a perforated stomach 8 months ago.
Fair enough. If it works for you then do it. Regarding lemon juice. If you aren't getting any noticeable difference from it then you are doing something wrong I would almost guarantee. Maybe you digest stuff differently but I'm yet to come across it not working on someone.

Use fresh lemons. Soak the mushrooms for 10 minutes in a generous amount of lemon juice. I cut my mushrooms up first to make sure they get really soaked.

I usually use bottled lemon juice which works fine but I imagine it's sometimes not as good as fresh so it's a good control to use fresh if you aren't getting proper results.

I have used sachet powder drink mix, the type that is basically sugar, citric acid and flavoring. It worked really well too. The first time I ever did mushrooms we boiled the fuck out of them and added a sachet of lime drink mix half way in(maybe 20min of simmer and boil). Didn't know anything about vitamin c at the time haha. It was an incredibly visual trip.

In general my trips are definitely more visual if I include vitamin c/citric acid but yeah seems important to really get it soaked and part of it.

Fair enough. If it works for you then do it. Regarding lemon juice. If you aren't getting any noticeable difference from it then you are doing something wrong I would almost guarantee. Maybe you digest stuff differently but I'm yet to come across it not working on someone.

Use fresh lemons. Soak the mushrooms for 10 minutes in a generous amount of lemon juice. I cut my mushrooms up first to make sure they get really soaked.

I usually use bottled lemon juice which works fine but I imagine it's sometimes not as good as fresh so it's a good control to use fresh if you aren't getting proper results.

I have used sachet powder drink mix, the type that is basically sugar, citric acid and flavoring. It worked really well too. The first time I ever did mushrooms we boiled the fuck out of them and added a sachet of lime drink mix half way in(maybe 20min of simmer and boil). Didn't know anything about vitamin c at the time haha. It was an incredibly visual trip.

In general my trips are definitely more visual if I include vitamin c/citric acid but yeah seems important to really get it soaked and part of it.
You claim that you've never heard about tea reducing nausea...

I'm not the only one.

NSFW:

If deemed unappropriate feel free to remove the link.

You claim that you've never heard about tea reducing nausea...

I'm not the only one.

NSFW:

If deemed unappropriate feel free to remove the link.
I'm sure you aren't the only one. I'm sure there are many people that believe stems give them headaches too. I just haven't ever heard of it or used tea as a method to reduce the nausea and hadn't found it to do so either.. Which makes me think it's probably all in the mind. Because the user who hasn't had their mind subject to this information(me)didn't notice any difference and actually has less nausea when eating them fresh/whole?

I mean obviously this is all anecdotal on both our part. But for example I've had multiple people vomit from tea on various occasions but never had people vomit, or myself, from eating them whole. I mean that's pretty clear cut for me given how many doses I've done and dished out.

I just found another way of extraction.

NSFW:
Another method from the 80's
That's for psilocybin again, just convert to psylocine.

Last edited:
I've read many, many papers on extraction. It's worth noting that someone is now selling an ultrasonic bath to break down the cell walls of the fried mushrooms allowing all of the psilocybin to dissolve in the solvent (water). Now, from there I have read papers that use multiple solvents BUT it appears that the addition of Ca(OH)2 i.e. calcium hydroxide AKA slaked lime will make the solvent basic and form calcium psilocinate which is almost insoluble in water.

I read this on a site devoted to growing and taking mushrooms (it's called 'The Jungle Extraction).

The interesting thing is that the people who had success with this method all mention that the solid that drops out is quote 'a green goo'.

So, here is where the paper solves that problem. The psilocin is recrystalised from chloroform. I read it as the calcium psilocinate being freebased in ethanol (methanol also works) and then chloroform is added. Since psilocin freebase is almost insoluble in chloroform, it will drop out out of solution first.

So, I'm going to hand on my findings to a friend who grows the stuff. I've seen some VERY impressive videos on growing mushrooms in what look for all the world like sailors kit bags hung from the ceiling of a cool, dark room. The fruiting bodies end up totally covering these 'kit bags' and their are claims of upto 1Kg per m3 (although as you can imagine, it's actually performed in these things that are 2.5-3m tall.

The actual amounts of psilocin involved mean that scale is vital. One guy tried it on a small scale ang got 0.3g of product. It was a VERY clean white microcrystalline product but still, he wasn't too impressed. Another guy did the same thing with 1Kg of dried mushrooms and ended up with 11 grams of psilocin.

These people didn't have ultrasonic baths to break down cell walls. Their trick was to deep freeze the mushrooms so that ice would breakdown the cell walls. Some used dried mushrooms, some just used ones that had been frozen. It seems the latter increases yield a little but the volume of solvents goes up.

But using Ca(OH)2 is just the same as how morphine is removed from opium solution (forming calcium morphinate). Freebasing can be carried out by adding ammonium chloride (NH4Cl).

I HOPE this isn't giving too much away. I mean, it's all freely available on the regular web.

The above link is to the bath. As I see it, it's costly and won't be in use for 95% of the time. In the old days (get's out pipe) a group of people would all club together to get an expensive piece of equipment so we all benefitted from it. I had a 25% share in a very good vacuum pump and a 20% share in a large rotary evaporator.

I've rea
I've read many, many papers on extraction. It's worth noting that someone is now selling an ultrasonic bath to break down the cell walls of the fried mushrooms allowing all of the psilocybin to dissolve in the solvent (water). Now, from there I have read papers that use multiple solvents BUT it appears that the addition of Ca(OH)2 i.e. calcium hydroxide AKA slaked lime will make the solvent basic and form calcium psilocinate which is almost insoluble in water.
I've read of a simpler sounding extraction but I've not tried and am not in a position to do so.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the details or point to an onion link but I don't think it would be hard to find. Anyway the summary is:

This method permits rapid isolation of psilocin from hallucinogenic mushrooms by co-extraction of both psilocin and psilocybin. Dilute acetic acid is an excellent solvent for this purpose because both compounds are very soluble in acetic acid11 and very little of other interfering substances are extracted, It is most likely some other compounds are co-extracted but are removed from psilocin in the ether extraction from the aqueous base. Psilocybin is completely dephosphorytated to psilocin by heating the acid extract. After addition of the base, extraction into ether should be performed promptly because of decomposition of psilocin at a greater pH than 7. The extraction and dephosporylation steps produce reasonably pure psilocin from a small amount of mushroom material.

I think it's converted to psilocin in the stomach since the HCl in the stomach is a strong acid while acetic acid is a weak acid. Actually, I know it is because the amine and phenol moieties form a hydrogen-bond which is how it passes through the BBB (and why 5-OH DMT does not).

It may have been produced as a loophole though the law but I don't know.

I am a huge fan of psilocin and on the one occasion that I got to try pure psilocin benzoate, the onset was much faster and the high was stronger but duration was somewhat less.

I'm interested to know if anyone has successfully extracted psilocin from mushrooms. I read that only 1% of mushrooms is psilocin and so presume that it would have to be carried out on a large scale to minimize mechanical losses. I see clinically that 15-30mg of psilocin seems to be the usual dose range.

I appreciate the fact that it's shorter duration means that one can take a dose at say 2PM and then still expect to get to sleep in the evening whereas with LSD it seems to take 18 hours for the results to fully subside and lack of sleep is very bad for my epilepsy and some other medical issues.

Sadly it's not a simple chemical to make but I've tried a number of homologues and almost all of them were inferior by far. 5MeO-DMT made me feel like an elephant had sat on me (and 5MeO AMT was just AWFUL) and the various different N-substitutions did not produce a better product. In fact, the ONLY homologue that was significantly better was DPT and (R)AMT - the latter being indistinguishable from MDMA. (S)AMT is like psilocin on steroids so resolution of the isomers is a very important step. I did try a low dose of AET but I'm aware of it's MAOI activity so I was careful. It doesn't need to be resolved as the extra methyl means it will not fit into the 5HT2a receptor.

If you live in a nation that only controls RCs one by one, I can attest to the fact that 7,N,N-TMT (7-methyl DMT) is identical to DMT and 7-AMT is identical to AMT.

Lastly, I suggest people try overlaying 2CB (or similar) with 5-MeO DMT. You will notice that the 2-MeO overlays the N of the indole while the 5-MeO overlays the 5-MeO of 5MeO-DMT. That is why two seemingly different compounds bind in such a similar manner. I THINK people have tried substituting the 6 position of indole-based psychoactives but it didn't work.

But if you live in a nation where AMT is still legal, it is well worth resolving the 2 isomers One of them is a legal MDMA alternative (and I mean it - it's vastly better than that 5/6 APB stuff.
I've heard of people extracting psilocybin with strong alcohol to form crystals, but I don't know exactly how it's done. I'd assume you simply grind up the mushrooms and soak them in alcohol and then strain out the mushrooms and vaporize the alcohol to leave behind the compound, but it's probably a more complicated process. Either way, psilocybin converts to psilocin once it's metabolized, so that should be a fast acting, strong concentrate. And find a mushroom strain with a high potency like penis envy.

I've heard of people extracting psilocybin with strong alcohol to form
Those crystals from "Crystal's of the gods" tek are actually carbohydrates.

I can know a very easy easy tek to get an extract of about 10% active but I wont publically post it out of concern that some kid is going to get sick because they dont have the proper equipment or knowledge to make a safe product.

Sorry. Go scour the literature