• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines Extracting psilocin from mushrooms

DOI:10.1520/JFS10989J
I've heard of people extracting psilocybin with strong alcohol to form crystals, but I don't know exactly how it's done. I'd assume you simply grind up the mushrooms and soak them in alcohol and then strain out the mushrooms and vaporize the alcohol to leave behind the compound, but it's probably a more complicated process. Either way, psilocybin converts to psilocin once it's metabolized, so that should be a fast acting, strong concentrate. And find a mushroom strain with a high potency like penis envy.

Reports state psilocin is soluble in methanol, slightly soluble in ethanol. I presume one adds chloroform until the psilocin drops out.

I've read of people using Ca(OH)2 to form calcium psilocibinate which makes sense.It's insoluble in water. But such reports suggest use 'as is'. I would tend to dissolve in water and add NH4Cl. It will initially dissolve and then as pH rises, the psilocin freebase will crash out.

I don't think their has EVER been any kind of market in psilocin but I, for one, would be very keen on, say, 10mg tablets. 1 would be cool for a club, 2-4 for a HUGE experience. That is the cool thing about psilocin - it's adaptable.

I can recall people trying to sell LSD in clubs but who wants something that lasts for 12 hours? Psilocin lasts for 4-6 hours.

Except that psilocybin is barely soluble in etoh and psilocin is extremely unstable in it. Etoh extracts are weak sauce.
Iv used ethanol many times when I was growing them, makes a good extract…sometimes you learn more actually doing things than you do reading about them ;)

Last edited:
Iv used ethanol many times when I was growing them, makes a good extract…sometimes you learn more actually doing things than you do reading about them ;)
Ok I'll just waste my time and ignore all of the scientific literature and do what a wook on the internet told me 😉

Ok I'll just waste my time and ignore all of the scientific literature and do what a wook on the internet told me 😉
You can do whatever you want, I know for a fact it works…but just for fun how many mg per ml will ethanol dissolve of psilocybin/psilocin, I’m sure you know for a fact

Or is “not very soluble ” your final answer ?
Well judging by how long it’s taking you to google the answer I’m gonna assume you had no clue when you said ethanol sucks, not very scientific to be talking out of your ass eh ?

Last edited:
Well judging by how long it’s taking you to google the answer I’m gonna assume you had no clue when you said ethanol sucks, not very scientific to be talking out of your ass eh ?
I would honestly trust Fertile and Didgital's knowledge of chemistry based on a lot of their other posts.
You may certainly have had success with Ethanol but I suspect you cannot extract most of it with ethanol.
I made the mistake of wasting many many hundreds of $ of grams of Tryptamines trying to freebase them incorrectly assuming that all or most Tryptamines are reasonably soluable in naphtha because DMT is.
You very likely got whst you might consider a decent pull with ethanol but I suspect most of it was left behind in the shrooms.

I'm not sorry that I didnt feel compelled to answer a wook or hover on bluelight but it took me about seconds to pull off the web

"

Psilocybin: Sol in 20 parts boiling water, 120 parts boiling methanol; difficultly sol. in ethanol. Practically insol in chloroform, benzene.

Psilocin: Unstable in soln, esp. akaline soln. Very slightly sol in water. Soluable in ether. Recrystalize from chloroform/heptane (1:3) yielding white crystals. With aqueous ethanol, the optimum extraction was with a 70% ethanol concentration, and the extraction efficiency dropped almost to zero when there was no water present. But methanol was extremely inefficient regardless of the amount of water present in it."

Merck index.

🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡

Even psilocin extraction efficiency drops to zero when no water is present and psilocin is unstable in solution....

I really don’t care what anybody who hasn’t done it thinks, Iv done it, it works, period…is it the best way no but I never said it was

Get loadsa mushrooms, pour 90 degree water and not any hotter on it then consume said tea?

Totally not the same as eating them but at least I ain't puking my stomach out on the tea.

4-ho-met ain't the same as you probably know.

With truffles mushrooms I feel refreshed after only even getting a few hours sleep. 4-ho-met is quite sedative and exhausting the next day.

I've never actually experienced nausea on mushrooms, but some stomach upset is usually to be expected when eating them - especially when fresh.

But you're right that making a tea bypasses this issue and significantly reduces the onset time whilst increasing the intensity - which can be a little overwhelming sometimes as you don’t get chance to acclimatise to the trip.

I've never actually experienced nausea on mushrooms, but some stomach upset is usually to be expected when eating them - especially when fresh.

But you're right that making a tea bypasses this issue and significantly reduces the onset time whilst increasing the intensity - which can be a little overwhelming sometimes as you don’t get chance to acclimatise to the trip.
I had a buddy that every time we ate shrooms would sit on the toilet for like a hour but never shit, I was like dude that’s just the shrooms fuckin with your stomach it will pass

Of course almost ALL solubility alters with temperature. I don't have my Merck Index handy and so I cannot give a specific ethanol solubility for psilocin. Now I imagine psilocybin to be much more soluble (being the phosphate ester) so unless you KNOW that it's one or the other, you cannot firmly state solubility.

But I think you cannot argue with something that WORKS.

The above strongly suggests that their IS a market. They make no bones about what it is for.

I think the references I give in which the impure (green gel) one gets from a crude extract is dissolved in methanol & recrystalised from CHCl3 are overcomplex. I have seen reference to the green gel in 7 or 8 papers so I am pretty confident that it is the intermediate to aim for. It's likely safe and ready to put into caps.

BUT if you want a nice amorphous powder of the freebase, one can follow the references supplied OR as I have read elsewhere, use Ca(OH)2 to form calcium psilocinate and then add saturated NH4Cl solution. The product will dissolve and then the PURE product will drop out as the pH rises.

It's a bit of a pity that 7-methyl tryptophan is so costly. I suspect that if fed this un-natural amino-acid, one will get 7-methyl psilocin as the main product. I would compare lower doses with MDA except this is more potent i.e. 25mg of 7-methyl psilocin is like 100mg of MDA....

But their is no way to produce a significantly more potent product. That said, I ASSUME that if DMT sold for 300 guilders in 2000, pure psilocin would fetch the same. But I'm not interested in selling (although the 7-methyls would be legal in many nations and if I lived there I might think differently) and I'm not convinced that this TOR nonsense provides any security. I think that the limited number or arrests is a function of the security services not wanting to be asked hard questions.

I am a huge fan of psilocin and on the one occasion that I got to try pure psilocin benzoate, the onset was much faster and the high was stronger but duration was somewhat less.

I'm interested to know if anyone has successfully extracted psilocin from mushrooms. I read that only 1% of mushrooms is psilocin and so presume that it would have to be carried out on a large scale to minimize mechanical losses. I see clinically that 15-30mg of psilocin seems to be the usual dose range.

I appreciate the fact that it's shorter duration means that one can take a dose at say 2PM and then still expect to get to sleep in the evening whereas with LSD it seems to take 18 hours for the results to fully subside and lack of sleep is very bad for my epilepsy and some other medical issues.

Sadly it's not a simple chemical to make but I've tried a number of homologues and almost all of them were inferior by far. 5MeO-DMT made me feel like an elephant had sat on me (and 5MeO AMT was just AWFUL) and the various different N-substitutions did not produce a better product. In fact, the ONLY homologue that was significantly better was DPT and (R)AMT - the latter being indistinguishable from MDMA. (S)AMT is like psilocin on steroids so resolution of the isomers is a very important step. I did try a low dose of AET but I'm aware of it's MAOI activity so I was careful. It doesn't need to be resolved as the extra methyl means it will not fit into the 5HT2a receptor.

If you live in a nation that only controls RCs one by one, I can attest to the fact that 7,N,N-TMT (7-methyl DMT) is identical to DMT and 7-AMT is identical to AMT.

Lastly, I suggest people try overlaying 2CB (or similar) with 5-MeO DMT. You will notice that the 2-MeO overlays the N of the indole while the 5-MeO overlays the 5-MeO of 5MeO-DMT. That is why two seemingly different compounds bind in such a similar manner. I THINK people have tried substituting the 6 position of indole-based psychoactives but it didn't work.

But if you live in a nation where AMT is still legal, it is well worth resolving the 2 isomers One of them is a legal MDMA alternative (and I mean it - it's vastly better than that 5/6 APB stuff.
Any idea about the solubility of the psilocin benzoate ? As a salt it is clearly soluble in water, but have you come across with any info regarding solubility or insolubility in other solvents ?
It seems to crystalize nicely from water but if there are other impurities that need to be washed off . . .
Extraction with Acetic Acid 5 or 10% is easy, heat to 70-80 C and that's it. Filtration is a bit messy . Degreasing is the trick since psilocin is soluble in hexanes, heptane and probably other hydrocarbons as well as in Ethyl Acetate, Acetone, etc.
Probably the elimination of vegetable fats before extraction is the best option.

extracting pure psilocin out of mushroom is hard. but making a mushroom extract that contain all of the psilocin in it is pretty easy.

Ultrasonic extraction is the latest thing. But I think you would need to distil off the water under reduced pressure (vacuum distillation) or you might see breakdown of the product. How stable is psilocybin in water and HOW would you extract.

I would guess the phenolic -OH of psilocin would form a calcium salt that would be much less soluble in water... but I cannot find reference to that.