• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Extracting fentanyl from polymer-matrix patches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Subutex is a opiate with no naloxone, opiate blocker, in it. So basically you took a opiate on top of a opiate. Unless you meant suboxone, which is a opiate and naloxone, a opiate blocker, which is a very complicated & misunderstood drug.

The only thing worse than being in severe pain might be being in severe chronic pain with small demanding children climbing all over you! Don't let anyone tell you that you are a addict! There is a medical term for a chronic pain patient whose behavior mirrors that of a addict, it's called pseudo-addiction, when the pain patient becomes desperate for relief & their behavior becomes like that of a addict. It's always due to the PP being under medicated, or their pain simply not being controlled. I highly be suspect you are currently being under medicated, for a variety of reasons you m mentioned. PP have to deal with pain others cannot comprehend, & then the stigma of being a drug addict to top it off! Hang in there & I hope you get your pain under control & regain some quality of life! The difference between a pseudo addict & a addict is that when their pain gets under control, they stop the addict behaviors, that is how you be will know for sure. Best of luck to you & plz contact me if you can! You sound like me when I had undiagnosed ovarian cancer with complications, before I broke down & went t to pain management! Peace&love-J

I was recently switched from 30mg MS Contin 3 times a day to 50mcg fentanyl and they just aren't working. I'm at the end of my rope. My breakthrough med are 15 oxycodone 4x a day, but if this continues I will run out. I have so much to do & I just can't do half of it I read the recent posts, as the older ones aren't applicable, it seems the formulations recently changed! I don't understand the terminology of both the "matrix" type & the way of breaking them down. My dr gave me some extra ptches ( 2 were defective)! Pharmacy says manufacturer has to replace them, manufacters sayz... guess what? I can't afford to waste them. They are Sandoz, although why they have 8.4 mg of fentanyl is beyond my speculation. I'm desperate to find a way to use the messed up ones, if they aren't ruined. It's the manufacturers fault since they come sealed8, but the pharmacy can see the. Can someone PLEASE tell me in simple terms how I can use/abuse them soI can gett some relief! Anything but IVing I wil try. I know what extraction means, but I don't know what a double boiler is. If someone would help me out I would appreciate it very very much! Another thing that threw me off was people sying the sandoz were gel, I had the Watson 25mcg last mo, drhad t start me on the lowest dose even though he knew they wouldn't work, for safety reasons, but that is all the experience I have with the patches . I know the Watson 25mcg had gel in them & the Sandoz don't. The Sandoz wrinkle, even on flat skin, is that normal. They work less as I get used to them, & the 3rd day I get no pain relief at all, is this normal? Any help much appreciated!Peace&love-J

Peacelove: The Sandxx patches are IMO the best -but I don't use them in the conventional method. If you have a couple spare Sandoz 50mcg/h patches, they contain 8+ mg fent and they are what would be referred to as matrix type patches (gel has visible gel inside, a mix of fent base, alcohol and some polycellulose crap which causes the mixture to gel. The same shit used to make paint thicken). The fent in all patches is in base form which is not soluble in water but is highly soluble in many organic solvents (methanol & ether being the best solvents for fent -and toulene but you don't want that stuff around!).
The way I am able to get nearly ALL of the fent out of the sandoz patches is an acid/base extraction: distilled or RO water with a small amount of citric acid. Not lemon juice although there are claims it is effective but it's the citric acid that does the job of making the fent more soluble in water. The method of converting fent base to a citrate salt in the lab would be to reflux for 24 hrs but that's not really an option for most of us because we are dealing with household cookware rather than lab equipment...
Here is a very effective method of extracting fent from sandy or brand-name patches:
My preferred equipment is a burner made from a small bottle -like 2oz, about 3.5" tall with a small (3/8" wide cap/opening) & a wick that fits snug in the top >> I also use a small washer to absorb some of the heat so the bottle doesn't get hot and crack or break. This is just a small bunsen burner. Fuel is methanol or denatured alcohol.
The "spoon" for lack of a better word is a round bottom coffee scoop. The coffee scoop is attached to the top of a mini-tripod and it is placed like 3/4" above the flame. (mini tripod for a digital camera, like $7.99 at Wal-mart). The little bottle and citric acid can be found at health food -natural vitamin store.
Once you have all of your stuff set up, start by putting a little citric acid in the scoop (an amount about 1/5 the size of a dime), then fill scoop about 3/4 full of water & bring to boil; remove heat & float 1/2 of the 50mcg/hr patch on the water and return to boil. keep boiling until about 1cc is left. Add a little pinch of baking soda to neutralize the acid. I know you don't want to IV and I would not encourage you to do so -but I would use a 1cc insulin syringe or a dropper that you can use to measure. I would start very small, like 10cc to be careful. sniff the solution & it should provide nearly immediate relief.
This method works best with sandxx or brand (same exact thing) and also works with myl#n.
Hope that helps!
>>>>>>>>>>
I had the misfortune of getting melloncrud patches yesterday which totally sucks because of their construction is a true matrix: top protective layer; 11mg fent in dipropylene glycol/hydrpropyl cellulose (tickener) mixture; rate-controlling membrane; silicone adhesive. I have done my acid/base extraction & 1/2 of 100mcg/hr patch provides about 4hr of wd relief and reduces pain level to about 7-8 (makes it possible to function but that's about it. I hate these damn things! I'm trying a pure methanol extraction & hope it works because at this rate I'll go through my #30 supply in two weeks & be completely screwed (not an option). hoping doc will write script to replace these (I absolutely hate them & would almost rather have the damn gel -yuk!).

I posted a while back about the thread-starter telling people to remove the adhesive before the extraction process. While most of the "matrix" type patches have a silicone adhesive containing fent, one "matric" patch I just encountered (the one names after john mellencamp > or john "cougar" for the older crowd) -You know what I mean...
These are bot great for my usual extraction method so I'm trying a pure methanol extraction:
Process is simple: soak patch in methanol (if I'm in a hurry, I boil the methanol using a hot-plate >> but be extremely careful boiling methanol (race car fuel) or ANY other flamable solvent!!
To come up with a usable liquid, I add a very, very small pinch of citric acid & then boil of most of the methanol, add boiling hot water, then boil off until you cannot smell any alcohol. methanol is a great solvent but definitely nothing you want to ingest in any way (it's extremely poison & causes blindness by damaging the nervous system -great solvent but extremely nasty stuff! Of all the alcohols, methanol is the best solvent for fent. Just be sure to boil it all away. If you are not sure, add more water & boil more, etc, etc...

THis shit is not something you want to experiment with.
But if you must, be extremely careful! Don't do it alone. Start with a very small dose. 1/4 of a 100mcg/hr patch can kill a seasoned addict!
I had two close friends who have OD'd on fent & know of several others. This stuff kills.
And then there were the epidemic deaths that resulted from IDIOTS selling herion mixed with or that was actually fentanyl. Chicago, Detroit, New York City, Phili to name a few places where some dumbass(s) mixed the stuff way too strong. One sample I read about a few years back had 67mg of fent in one gram of "heroin". It was a while ago but I think they had like 100 fent fatalities over one summer in Detroit!
More recently there were 14 fentanyl / "heroin" deaths in one one month Pennsylvania county alone, three in a single day! >>see: http://www.post-gazette.com/local/r...aths-in-Allegheny-County/stories/201401300252
This is not fent extracted from patches but rather made in a lab somewhere, probably mexico where the precursor chemicals are not as difficult to get. The really stupid thing about it is that the fucking idiots of Nixon's DEA published the manufacturing process online! (that's where the citrate reflux method came from).
Just do a google search for "fentanyl heroin deaths" and you can always find that somewhere in the country there is always some city plagued with a bunch of dead addicts -Usually a bunch of young people 20-30 years old. What a fucking waste.
And if you want to really increase the danger, mix in some xanax or other benzo & some alcohol. My good friend of slipknot fame talked about fent and xanax being a recipe for "instant coma" as he handed me a couple dozen xanax and 10 fent patches from a fedex envelope he had just received. He was found dead in a hotel room three days later, on Bob Dylan's 60th birthday. And this was not a "novice" dope user. Still fucking haunts me.
Proves that even if you are a seasoned professional junky, this shit can kill you in an instant. All it takes is one small miscalculation or over-estimating your tolerance or capacity.

Hi bluelighter crew Have you guys ever heard of matrifen patchs ? They seem absolutely dreadful to me and are not a patch (pun intended lol) on the uk durogesic dtrans patches that i used to get. Them seem pathetic both worn as intended and sucked on orally. Has anyone ever sprinkled citric acid on a patch and then sucked on it and had superior results to sucking with no citric on patch? Im going to try this today to see if they work better as actiq is fenatnyl and citric acid as a 1:1 ration. Im also going to try extracting fentanyl crystals from half a patch and some 95% abv rectified spirit any tips ?

I have read extracting fentanyl from polymer matrix patches and will read it again but think matrifen may have a different release system compared to durogesic by jannssen claiag Thanks guys have got throu 15 days supply in one week :( This cant carry on only, matrifen made by teva are listed as 11mg total content too which seems far to low for a 100mcg patch. Also i thought there used to be generic patchs made by teva that had a huge whopping 5.25mg per 25mcg patch they cant be the matrifen brand. Any advice much appriciated :)

Last edited:
Peacelove:
>>>>>>>>>>
I had the misfortune of getting melloncrud patches yesterday which totally sucks because of their construction is a true matrix: top protective layer; 11mg fent in dipropylene glycol/hydrpropyl cellulose (tickener) mixture; rate-controlling membrane; silicone adhesive. I have done my acid/base extraction & 1/2 of 100mcg/hr patch provides about 4hr of wd relief and reduces pain level to about 7-8 (makes it possible to function but that's about it. I hate these damn things! I'm trying a pure methanol extraction & hope it works because at this rate I'll go through my #30 supply in two weeks & be completely screwed (not an option). hoping doc will write script to replace these (I absolutely hate them & would almost rather have the damn gel -yuk!).
These sound like the horrid matrifen ones ive been given only 11mg in a 100 patch and ingediants are identical to what you listed. Did you find a way to get around these pathetic patchs ??? Id be gratefull to learn any advice you could give me ??? PLEASE

Last edited:
Hey all me again :) Has anyone found a more effective way of extracting all the fentanyl from the matrifen and Mallinckrodt fentanyl patches i think there the same thing fentanyl contents are 11mg for 100 patch and 5.5mg for the 50mcg patch and that matrifen by teva is used in europe. I soaked a matrifen patch in approx 3 parts ethanol and 2 parts water with little success. Someone commented on a closed thread somewhere that you need to seperate the backing from the sticky bit to be able to use them buccaly or they dont work. Hope some one can help i cant afford to waste them :'(

Thanks- one note though:
If you have polymer matrix patches sucking/chewing them hardly works at all you are better with transdermal...

In my opinion that is not correct. Yes transdermal use is more efficiant but it takes longer to work. From my experiences with fentanyl patchs their sublingual or buccal efficiancy varies on the brand. Durogesic dtrans are good for sucking on or chewing but matrifen are absolutely useless for any method specially buccal or sublingual use. Different patch brands work better than others on this method.

To the comment from smoke trail the reason people are here is to educate themselves. but to get on topic I found a flaw in the extraction process without having to rub your finger or anything alike if you have the time you let the entire patch glue and all sit in the alcohol for 12 hours and it completely dissolves the medicine and then you can cook off the alcohol other than that the one our trick didn't work for me thank you for your help though

Ive been on and off patches for a few years. Some times they would work, some times they wouldnt, for standard pain management. Im on them again and have been messing around with them a bit. Ive been using a vaporizer for nicotine juice and flavor, and am wondering if i can squeeze some fent gel into my vap and smoke some that way. If it works, would it give me a high, work as intended and kill my pain, both, or neither? Any ideas? Anyone tried this method?. Thanks

Wow intresting tek ill gave to give it a go but i use a tek tht takes under 5 minutes but i dont advise anyone to iv fentanyl it is a beast it kills more people then heroin where im from but this is for people who already do it and have a high tolerance, cut the peice into peices start small, put into a metal spoon add a small amount of citric and half a ml of water cook untill bubbling then mash the peice with plunger of syringe in the water untill the solution cools then suck up solution. Leave the piece in the spoon and add citric and water and cook 2 more times, this will have got 99% percent of fentanyl out. BE CAREFULL

I tried this the other day. Followed most of the steps outlined in the post but got a very minor result from 1/4, then 3/8 of a 50mcg patch.

One thing I noticed is that the people having the most success seem to be using citric/vinegar (which we didn't try) I've got a couple more patches so will try adding that to the final mix this time.

Also... I've got to say people's attitude towards this drug are puzzling. I'm using my phone so that's all I'll say

Very true and i see were your coming from, but anyone who can get there hands on fentanyl 99% of the time has a tolerance to opiates you dont start with fentanyl its stonger then H in my experience and is still deadly to people with a tolerance if they dont no wat there doing. And if they have it there gunna find a way to do it, isnt it better they know how to do it safe?

I tried this the other day. Followed most of the steps outlined in the post but got a very minor result from 1/4, then 3/8 of a 50mcg patch.

One thing I noticed is that the people having the most success seem to be using citric/vinegar (which we didn't try) I've got a couple more patches so will try adding that to the final mix this time.

Also... I've got to say people's attitude towards this drug are puzzling. I'm using my phone so that's all I'll say

Cut a quarter of a 50(if you have a tolerance) and put it on a spoon add a touch of citric and 10 drops of water cook till it starts to bubble then mash the piece in the water, you can suck up and use now to test ur tolerance the first cook gets 70% 80% out. And you just repeat to get rest out either ad to first cook or have it after

The key to the Malli is pulling the layers apart. I run a torch across the back while the backing is still on and then try to peel it apart SLOWLY in one piece getting started with a . fresh razor or very small eyeglasses/computer screwdriver. Go SLOWLY and soak both pieces incase some of the drug layer comes off with the adhesive and the membrane layer. Don't let the adhesive layer fold back on itself.

narcoticon's method is solid, it worked. I used 5 used 25 microgram patches. The only thing I would add is I used a foil pie pan. After I evaporated the alcohol I cut the foil pie pan bottom into equal parts w/ scissors, about the size of a half dollar. I held each piece w/ long nose pliers while heating the bottom w/ a lighter. I used the "chase the dragon" method with a bic pen casing. I am high as hell w/ only a few pieces used. It didn't look like there was anything there after the evap. But I proceeded anyway and was rewarded nicely. I have a high opiate tolerance. As it says all over this forum - Be careful! I started slow and small and worked up to it. Anyway, thanks - it works.

Experimenting with using nonalcohol based solvents for intranasal and oral use has led to the following observations: Water itself works. Lemon juice definitely works for oral use (*).

* 10ml lemon juice; half a cup of water; used patches calculated to contain ~4mg (yes, milligrams, which is what a Sandoz 25mcg/hr patch contains, 4.1mg to be precise); mix together and let sit for a couple of hours; microwave on high for 45s; wait 30m. ingesting this solution in its entirety orally will contain enough fentanyl to potentially kill an opiate naive person. 2 hrs works just right someone with a tolerance, on a dose of 37.5mcg/hr producing a slow onset long lasting 4-6 hr euphoria.

Just thought that I'd let those interested know that I tried this method using a new 50mcg Mylan patch. Got -0- results. Nothing! Tried it again using the same patch, just in case I might've done something wrong. Still got nothing. So either I did something wrong twice, or this method just doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.