• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 15 48.4%

• Total voters

Bob Loblaw

Bluelight Crew
jamesk_intothevoied_24099.jpg

Can you capture a DMT trip on film? Jason Tucker wrote to tell us about a movie screened at Cannes this Spring that claims to do just that. 'Enter the Void'.

Almost defying definition in contemporary cinematic terms, Gaspar Noe’s third feature film Enter The Void is a wild, hallucinatory mindfuck for adults which sees the director explore new shooting techniques and ambitious special effects to capture a young man’s journey after death. More experience than narrative, it runs to a massive 163 minutes, meandering and careening in and out of story and into visual realms and moods that are nothing short of hypnotic. It is a film that will instantly achieve cult status among young adults. If audiences care to, they can lose themselves in Noe’s images and trip on his imagination. If they don’t, they will be bored to tears.

1101191_Void_4.jpg

The neon lit landscapes look like a DMT trip to me. I only hope this film can live up to it's hype. From another review from Twitch:

Gaspar Noe won the Palme D’Or of my heart with this 160+ minute mind-bender. Enter the Void is more of an experimental, avant-garde journey through a DayGlo heart of darkness than it is a traditional narrative. After the punishing violence of both Seul Contre Tous and Irreversible, Noe switches gears completely and attempts to intimately capture the internal, hallucinatory experience of a young man’s death.

After years of living apart in foster homes, American brother and sister Oscar (Nathaniel Brown) and Linda (Paz De La Huerta) are reunited in Tokyo, where he’s a low level drug dealer and she a budding stripper. The film starts out literally inside Oscar’s head, registering each blink of his eyes as a momentary black screen, and showing us first hand the DMT trip he’s on, which Ne depicts as a series of unfolding, expanding brilliantly-coloured spirals, fractals and delicate tendrils (a bit reminiscent of a constantly mutating science class diagram of the parts of a cell).

Another review from Hollywood Reporter calls it "unwatchable":

It goes without saying that the film is violent, but its obsessive emphasis on sex and drugs -- to the point that most viewers are going to feel utterly bludgeoned by both -- makes it virtually unwatchable, especially at its unofficial "director's cut" length of 160 minutes. Commercial prospects seem remote, but its LSD and other drug-induced visual fireworks might ensure a long life as a cult film on DVD.

I haven't been able to find any video clips yet other than the "boy in the box" teaser that really tells nothing, nor can I tell if this film will ever be released anywhere other than Cannes. However, I think "Renegade" may finally have competition for the trippiest movie ever made.

» more at:
http://www.screendaily.com/enter-the-void/5001692.article

Looks really good to me.

I watched this film in cinema few days ago. Well... I had mixed feelings after watching it. It was boring and interesting at the same time: too little action but many artistic moments. Author tried to show everything from another side.
I can't call this film 'psychedelic', for me films like 'Butterfly effect','Mr. Nobody'( I watched it the same night as 'Enter the Void') are much more psychedelic. Nevertheless it's completely distinct from almost every movie I saw, and it's certainly not for everyone.
While watching it I was wishing this movie to end quicker, however now I think I'll rewatch it with more attention to details. If you are going to watch it then be ready for a snapshot of everyday life.

Sorry for my english.

I watched this film in cinema few days ago.
^ do u live in france ?

your review sounds similar to others i have read. im pretty sure as to what to expect from it. being a noe fanboy im sure ill like it.

funny thing noe had to say about a review...
I find it wildly self indulgent and ripped on it when I saw it in Sitges - a review that actually led to one of my absolute favorite film maker interactions ever, with Noe sending me a message to ask if he'd raped my mother and that's why I hated his film so much.

still no release date for american audiences arghh :( anxiously awaiting to see this.

^ do u live in france ?
No, I am russian. There are few cinemas showing it.

your review sounds similar to others i have read. im pretty sure as to what to expect from it. being a noe fanboy im sure ill like it.
I think many people dislike the film because Noe showed real life as it is. And all these people look for something more adorned and "artistic".
BTW, what other Noe's films can you recommend?

PS: I can't recommend this film for watching while tripping, because IMO it is too dark and scary.

funny thing noe had to say about a review...
Heh heh. I've never really understood why self-indulgent film making is considered somehow less valid so long as the creator is a genuinely interesting person.

allium: I love tripping at dark and scary movies. My best film going experience ever was when I injected 12 mg of 4-AcO-DMT intramuscularly before Inland Empire. This could be awesome.

BTW, what other Noe's films can you recommend?
his other two, irreversible and i stand alone and also if u are really interested in his work definitely watch Masterclass with Gaspar Noé @ http://www.bfi.org.uk/live/video/90 great discussion about his work.

Heh heh. I've never really understood why self-indulgent film making is considered somehow less valid so long as the creator is a genuinely interesting person.

allium: I love tripping at dark and scary movies. My best film going experience ever was when I injected 12 mg of 4-AcO-DMT intramuscularly before Inland Empire. This could be awesome.

im with u on both. also i saw inland empire on mushshrooms, and it def was one of the most awesome film viewing experiences.

^Heh, heh. I just BARELY got that, and only because I've seen in parodied on Family Guy or something.

^ In Soviet Russia bluelight posts on you!

his other two, irreversible and i stand alone and also if u are really interested in his work definitely watch Masterclass with Gaspar Noé @ http://www.bfi.org.uk/live/video/90 great discussion about his work
Thanks for the links.

About tripping on scary movies: I always thought there must be fans of this, but not so many of them!

^I won't lie, I do get a thrill out of it. But I also think it can be healthy. You don't have many opportunities to face and live through extreme fears, but by tripping and watching a simulation you evoke those fears without putting yourself in physical danger. I feel the same about bungee jumping or visiting haunted houses around Halloween while tripping. I like to believe the exposure helps the user become familiar with their fear in a way that helps them to exercise discipline over it in real life.

Has anyone here planning to trip to this movie seen Irreversible or I Stand Alone? Irreversible is a profoundly difficult movie to watch while sober; I am not enough of a masochist to watch it under the influence. Irreversible contains two of the most intense scenes I have ever seen, plus the camera work and music is deliberately nauseating and disorienting. I agree with psood0nym and think that it can be healthy to watch challenging movies on psychedelics, in general...but I wouldn't watch a Noe film on a psychedelic.

That said, I can't wait to see this movie. (sober!)

^Yeah, sometimes it's thrilling and other times it's pretty unpleasant. I watched "Martyrs" tripping not long ago. I was sick by the end of it and couldn't get some of the images out of my head for days. In other words the experience was a little traumatizing. But despite how revolting it was I thought some of the concepts the film explored were pretty profound and I feel a little stronger for having gone through with it.